Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection - $14.99 pre order @ bestbuy.com

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 07:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection - $14.99 pre order @ bestbuy.com

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
*If* they're all remastered in HD I'm up for The Invisible Man, and The Mummy (especially if Abbott and Costello meet the Mummy is anamorphic WS) sets as they have the least (as in none) amount of film duplications. And... *IF* they *finally* get Revenge of the Creature and The Creature Walks Among Us in anamorphic WS I'll get that one....
There is no such thing as anamorphic widescreen for blu-ray disc. It is included in the spec. I'm not entirely sure, but isn't the OAR around 1.35:1 for those films? I would be surprised if they were widescreen.
Old 09-12-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronSch
There is no such thing as anamorphic widescreen for blu-ray disc. It is included in the spec. I'm not entirely sure, but isn't the OAR around 1.35:1 for those films? I would be surprised if they were widescreen.
OK... WS then.

Revenge of the Creature was shot for 2.00:1 *and* in 3D (though I'd be happy with just the WS).

The Creature Walks Among Us was shot for 1.85:1 projection.

Both were shot spherical (1.35:1) and intended to be matted during projection.
Old 09-12-16, 10:05 PM
Banned

OK... WS then.

Revenge of the Creature was shot for 2.00:1 *and* in 3D (though I'd be happy with just the WS).

The Creature Walks Among Us was shot for 1.85:1 projection.

Both were shot spherical (1.35:1) and intended to be matted during projection.
Wow...I would have thought "B" horror movies of that vintage would have had a similar aspect ratio to the earlier films. It's been so long since I viewed them. If "Creature Walks Among Us" was 1.85:1, I bet that's how it will be presented on Blu-ray.
Old 09-13-16, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Frankenstein Set is now live on BN.com at 27.27. Just waiting for it to be eligible for the 20% ( F7V8H7U )to go live too -- $22 is a pretty good release week price and even I though I know it will be lower durign the 40% Christmas sale I'm sorely tempted to add that to my $15 Wolfman BBY order. Last week it seemed most of the new release went "Coupon Live" b/w 1-1:30am ET

Hammer Horror 8 Film is still listed as a preorder though sometime in the next hour or 2 it should drop to $32

FS @$25 or with Membership

Edit -- odd things always show up
Hammer Horror is open for order on Chrome, Opera and IE, but listed OOS on Firefox
Thank you but damn you!
Old 09-13-16, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Frankenstein Set is now live on BN.com at 27.27. Just waiting for it to be eligible for the 20% ( F7V8H7U )to go live too -- $22 is a pretty good release week price and even I though I know it will be lower durign the 40% Christmas sale I'm sorely tempted to add that to my $15 Wolfman BBY order. Last week it seemed most of the new release went "Coupon Live" b/w 1-1:30am ET

Hammer Horror 8 Film is still listed as a preorder though sometime in the next hour or 2 it should drop to $32

FS @$25 or with Membership

Edit -- odd things always show up
Hammer Horror is open for order on Chrome, Opera and IE, but listed OOS on Firefox
Very tempting. Not as good as the deal on Wolf Man, but I really want this set in time for October ...
Old 09-13-16, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not as good a deal, but maybe a better value given the quality of the films and apparently more care taken in the restorations.

7 films for Wolfman
8 films for Frankenstein

a few overlaps that I'm going to count as belonging to Frankenstein to make the per film cost look better.
If you look at *unique* films there are 8 for Frankenstein and 3 for Wolf man unless you take a couple of the duplicates from Frankenstein and give them to Wolf Man to make it look better.

For people like me who've purchased the Universal Monsters BR set there are 6 new-to-BR films on Frankenstein and 2 on Wolf Man. I *really* want these but I'm struggling to justify the purchases considering all the duplicates on these and the number of copies on DVD/BR I already own of the main titles.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 09-13-16 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-14-16, 04:41 PM
Banned

The "Wolf Man" arrived today in one of those corrugated shippers and it was crushed like a pancake. Oh well, replacement time.

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-15-16 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-14-16, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

The "Wolf Man" arrived today in one of those corrugated shippers and it was crushed like a pancake. Oh well, replacement time.
awesome, 3 cheers to Best Buy ! Hope my local store has sufficient copies as I am not expecting any better with that packaging and USPS' delicate handling
Old 09-14-16, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine today as well--and fortunately it wasn't crushed.
Old 09-14-16, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

My copy arrived today in good shape.
Old 09-14-16, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just popped this in quickly---I don't know if they were restored or not, but to my eyes the prints of both Werewolf of London and She-Wolf of London looked excellent.
Old 09-15-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
My copy arrived today in good shape.
As did mine. Thanks to the OP.
Old 09-15-16, 01:51 PM
Banned

Is packaged media really dying?

Titles released this week are backordered all over the net..the SOBs at Amazon even hiked the price of "The Iron Giant" to $14.95. Now, I know that business is business and they have inventory nobody else seems to have. But I have developed such pure hatred for that company that I avoid it unless it is absolutely necessary to do business with them.

I stopped by Best Buy this morning to return my damaged copy of "The Wolf Man Legacy Collection." I love that you can returned items ordered online directly to stores. Afterwards, the associate re-ordered for me and informed me that estimated ship time is now October! That's right folks, it is backordered for weeks (worst case scenario—I hope). Hopefully my copy of "The Frankenstein Legacy Collection" will arrive from Barnes & Noble early next week.

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-15-16 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Is packaged media really dying?

Titles released this week are backordered all over the net..the SOBs at Amazon even hiked the price of "The Iron Giant" to $14.95. Now, I know that business is business and they have inventory nobody else seems to have. But I have developed such pure hatred for that company that I avoid it unless it is absolutely necessary to do business with them.
Amazon began playing games with inventory in the past 12-24 months. They don't like carrying more than a certain number of any specific release, so they often jack the price up when early sales exceed expectations.

Amazon has a contentious relationship with Warner Bros. Whenever a semi-popular catalog BD from WB comes out, Amazon mysteriously runs low and will often raise prices.

Amazon does not want to be in the business of selling media at discount prices. I predict it will be one of the first things they drop.
Old 09-16-16, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Amazon began playing games with inventory in the past 12-24 months. They don't like carrying more than a certain number of any specific release, so they often jack the price up when early sales exceed expectations.

Amazon has a contentious relationship with Warner Bros. Whenever a semi-popular catalog BD from WB comes out, Amazon mysteriously runs low and will often raise prices.

Amazon does not want to be in the business of selling media at discount prices. I predict it will be one of the first things they drop.
Amazon does monitor pre-order sales and sets pre-order prices according to how well it is selling.
For several years now Amazon does not restock items after the initial release stock is depleted. However, they have several relationships with marketplace sellers for "fulfilled by Amazon" which is just as good for buyers.
I've noticed Salem'Lot, It and Cat's Eye, all WB titles coming out in 4 days, are still not up at Amazon.
Old 09-16-16, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I got mine in from Best Buy yesterday. It was in perfect condition. I can't wait to dig into it in October.
Old 09-19-16, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

My copy arrived in great shape.
Old 09-20-16, 11:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad I got my order in yesterday, the price is up to $29.99 today!
Old 09-23-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I didn't buy it at first... after I get the Frankenstein set, the only movies that I'd be missing would be She-wolf/Werewolf of London so I passed. However, with a price like that I went ahead and ordered it last week. The page stated it was backordered until Last October. However, it arrived two days ago.
Old 09-23-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Amazon does monitor pre-order sales and sets pre-order prices according to how well it is selling.
For several years now Amazon does not restock items after the initial release stock is depleted. However, they have several relationships with marketplace sellers for "fulfilled by Amazon" which is just as good for buyers.
I've noticed Salem'Lot, It and Cat's Eye, all WB titles coming out in 4 days, are still not up at Amazon.
In my experience, it is the opposite. Out of Stock at Amazon means the marketplace sellers jack up the price. Just look at the Friday the 13th sets. Even before they were out of print, the scalpers set the price high.
Old 09-23-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
Originally Posted by Darth Maher
In my experience, it is the opposite. Out of Stock at Amazon means the marketplace sellers jack up the price. Just look at the Friday the 13th sets. Even before they were out of print, the scalpers set the price high.
My observation is that it's pretty much all over the place with pricing and generally *NOT* "just as good for buyers" as they don't replace defective items - only refund. That can mean you lose out on a really good price is something arrives damaged/incorrect and the MP vendor is now OOS.

I've ordered lots of stuff "Fulfilled by Amazon" that was *less* than Amazon's price, even if Amazon *is* OOS of the item. But for every one of those there seems to be another 1 or 2 for which the MP vendor price is much higher.

There's *one* primary benefit using "Fulfilled by Amazon." If the item's not right you deal directly with Amazon for returns/refunds (no replacements on FFBA items) as if they'd sold it themselves. Other than that it's whatever Prime membership "perks" of which you may be able to avail yourself: "free" 2 day shipping or the "digital credit" for slow boat shipping.
Old 09-23-16, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

My observation is that it's pretty much all over the place with pricing and generally *NOT* "just as good for buyers" as they don't replace defective items - only refund. That can mean you lose out on a really good price is something arrives damaged/incorrect and the MP vendor is now OOS.

I've ordered lots of stuff "Fulfilled by Amazon" that was *less* than Amazon's price, even if Amazon *is* OOS of the item. But for every one of those there seems to be another 1 or 2 for which the MP vendor price is much higher.

There's *one* primary benefit using "Fulfilled by Amazon." If the item's not right you deal directly with Amazon for returns/refunds (no replacements on FFBA items) as if they'd sold it themselves. Other than that it's whatever Prime membership "perks" of which you may be able to avail yourself: "free" 2 day shipping or the "digital credit" for slow boat shipping.
I'm talking about in print, common BD titles that Amazon has decided not to carry. They are not out of stock, Amazon doesn't carry them.
Example: Robocop Trilogy. Amazon doesn't carry it. The listing will say In Stock, 11 left in stock, with prime logo next to price. Sold by "X", fulfilled by Amazon. There is no Amazon price to be higher or lower than.
Old 09-23-16, 11:41 PM
Banned

I received my replacement copy from Best buy yesterday afternoon and last night I checked out a film I hadn't seen in its entirety in 20 years, "Werewolf of London." I've always enjoyed this, Universal's first attempt at a story of lycanthropy. I just wish they would have given it the same attention the other films have received. There's quite a bit of snap, crackle and pops in the soundtrack and the image sure could have used a bit of tlc. Nevertheless, I enjoyed watching two screen greats, Henry Hull and Warner Oland battle for the mariphasa, an antidote for their lycan tendencies. I always found this version of the wolf man tale a far more interesting watch—dare I say, I prefer Jack Pierce's make-up here over the later more hairy Lon Chaney make-up. The opening scene when we get a brief glimpse of Warner Oland as the werewolf is more creepy than any scene in the later film, "The Wolf Man." I am so pleased to have these films on Blu-ray—finally, I'm glad I relented and picked both sets up rather than wait for a complete set that may never come—the prices at B&N and Best Buy were hard to resist.

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-23-16 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-24-16, 05:14 PM

I received my Best Buy copy last week, in the dreaded corrugated mailer. It didn't appear crushed, but when I opened it, there was a thin piece of the blue plastic case that had cracked off and was loose. No damage to the disks, and there were no copies in stock within 250 miles of my store. Decided to keep it.

Strange that there are so many common movies between this set and the Frankenstein set. I bought the UK set with Frankenstein and Bride in it, so I only need Son of Frankenstein and Ghost of Frankenstein. Maybe there will be a similar sale on the Frankenstein collection as there was for Wolfman in the coming days.

In my Amazon shopping cart, I have Iron Giant and Return of Godzilla for a few weeks now. They fluctuate between 9.99 and $14.99 (which is a pretty big swing in price). Both are currently 9.99.

- Trev
Old 09-29-16, 08:23 PM
Banned

It pays to check in every day if you can...the "Frankenstein Legacy Collection" was available via Barnes & Noble for around $22 just about a week or so ago...I also received a crushed set from Best Buy. I went to the store, they kindly took it back and reordered it for me...effortless and the new set was pristine. If I were you I'd still return it for a replacement...you paid good money for it and you deserve to receive what you purchased free of defect or damage. I like Best Buy but maybe if enough get returned due to their faulty packaging they will make a change.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.