Reload this Page >

OLIVE Films BOGO Sale at Deep Discount

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

OLIVE Films BOGO Sale at Deep Discount

Old 07-16-16, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: OLIVE Films BOGO Sale at Deep Discount

As expected, they canceled the backorder and the title that WAS in stock...canceled that one as well.

Looks like they don't want to pro-rate a title if one is back ordered.
Old 07-16-16, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I emailed DD about my order cancellation (perhaps providing more time to think it over) but won't get my hopes up. I did buy that one BD from Amazon for about $2.50 more, which is still low enough to not feel ripped off.

I have a weird feeling that Olive Signature will eventually get around to upgrading their Betty Boop titles, fixing the aspect ratio of the early cartoons and adding extras so they more resemble WB's various Popeye sets. If this comes to pass, then DD did me a favor by cancelling Betty Boop V4.

The only way I was buying Voodoo Man was for a
Old 07-16-16, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

What kind of a f'ing order history/tracking system is that on DD's antiquated site ? Order history just shows a list of items ordered without even telling you which ones have been shipped. Amazing, in this day and age that you need to reach out to a secondary source to grab that information
Old 07-16-16, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
What kind of a f'ing order history/tracking system is that on DD's antiquated site ? Order history just shows a list of items ordered without even telling you which ones have been shipped. Amazing, in this day and age that you need to reach out to a secondary source to grab that information
Agreed. There corporate strategies are much better than there cs.
Old 07-16-16, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 602 Likes on 444 Posts

Ten of my 46 have shipped (in two bundles):

Eight Men Out
The Quiet Man
Skidoo
Magic Christian
Try and Get Me!
Dr Terror's House of Horrors
High Noon
The Big Combo
Shanghai Story
Sleep My Love

No cancellation notices yet, but base on the stories here I'm sure I'll get some.
Old 07-16-16, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's kind of a rip-off that The Quiet Man documentary is another title, which was not included with the feature film.
Old 07-17-16, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
They have been including subtitles on discs released in the past few months.
FYI, I can't speak for the bulk of their work, but I just watched "Appointment with Crime" yesterday and the subtitles were an embarrassment. It's as if they were auto-generated by a computer.
Old 07-17-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had Big Combo canceled. No word on what's up with the other three titles I ordered. Will email!
Old 07-17-16, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is so strange. My debit card was charged today for 4 titles, so it looks like I will receive 16 of the 18 I originally ordered. But they cancelled two titles yesterday, one of which is now in stock again. This is so odd. That's a small price to pay for a nice group of discs at bargain basement prices...probably gonna dive in and order a few more that are now available.

Last edited by AaronSch; 07-18-16 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-17-16, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah I might place an order entirely of Backorders, and see what happens.

This is what pisses me off. If it's not in stock, don't allow orders, with the very misleading commentary that "inventory is coming soon!"
Old 07-17-16, 05:11 PM

I just noticed that everything of mine that was cancelled is now back on their web site for sale, and placed a 2nd order. Minus the movie I bought from Amazon and minus one disk that I now can't pair up. I hope DD management realizes their screwy backorder process is costing them money.
Old 07-17-16, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Yeah I might place an order entirely of Backorders, and see what happens.

This is what pisses me off. If it's not in stock, don't allow orders, with the very misleading commentary that "inventory is coming soon!"
Or just charge 50% for the in-stock title, ship it, and then charge 50% for the "free" title when/if it comes back in stock.

So at least if something doesn't come back in stock you at least get one of the titles you wanted at the net cost.

Sounds like their inventory control is a clusterfuck.
Old 07-17-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Had Big Combo canceled. No word on what's up with the other three titles I ordered. Will email!
A few hours after I emailed customer service I got an automated email saying my other three titles have shipped. All priced at the BOGO price. So that's good on DD!
Old 07-18-16, 12:51 AM

3 orders, 34 titles, 10 backorders (at time of order placement), 8 shipments - and best of all, 100% order fulfillment. Now for USPS to fulfill their end of the bargain while I lick the wounds from the wallet hurt.

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 07-18-16 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-18-16, 08:35 AM
Banned

3 orders, 34 titles, 10 backorders (at time of order placement), 8 shipments - and best of all, 100% order fulfillment. Now for USPS to fulfill their end of the bargain while I lick the wounds from the wallet hurt.
Huh? Didn't you post this just a few days ago?

There's ALWAYS another time for a sale like this. ...I wouldn't personally even justify paying $10 for these given the lack of subtitles. ...So Olive needs to change its strategy and do some additional work on its products other than treating their HD offerings as a favor towards collectors.
You ordered 34 titles? Change of heart? Perhaps?
Old 07-18-16, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 602 Likes on 444 Posts

Got another shipping notice yesterday for 23 titles, bringing me up to 33 out of 46 ordered. Fingers crossed for the remainder, I suppose, though I really wish they'd just hold the orders and ship everything in one box. Not fond of getting things piecemeal like this:

Slaughter
Black Caesar
Thing with Two Heads
Voodoo Man
Hangar 18
Twilight's Last Gleaming
Friday Foster
Secret Beyond the Door
Force of Evil
MacBeth
Pursued
Armored Attack / North Star
Fire Maidens of Outer Space
Appointment with Danger
She Devil
Hammer
Red Menace
Sender
Boeing Boeing (1965)
The Buccaneer
Weapon
My Son John
Atomic City
Old 07-18-16, 09:25 AM
Banned

I just got off the phone with Deep Discount regarding the two cancelled items and was told they would be happy to send the two titles out as soon as they are back in stock without having to buy additional items to make up the minimum $25. I'll probably order more anyway. The Supervisor also confirmed that Olive is controlling the process day to day in regards to what titles are available NOT Deep Discount. I have a sneaking suspicion they remove more popular titles from availability to help motivate the purchase of less popular titles—it's a pretty smart way to lower overall inventory on hand. Olive's plans are to continue the sale through July 22nd. So, you have until this Friday to make additional selections.
Old 07-18-16, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by AaronSch
Huh? Didn't you post this just a few days ago?

You ordered 34 titles? Change of heart? Perhaps?
unfortunately so, since there's no other HD option for some obscure titles. 18 were intended purchases, the remaining were 'change of heart' titles based on PQ feedback from bluray.com
Old 07-18-16, 06:19 PM
Banned

Very pleased...11 of the 18 arrived. Surprised to find that High Noon came with a slippie to boot! I also received "Blue Sky," but after a lot pleading I loaned it to my dear old Mom and her hubbie.

I may re-purchase "High Noon" if the 4K is a huge upgrade. But I prefer this cover any day over the black and white photo with standard font that graces the new version that has been announced. Anyone with a basic desk top publishing program could do that...

Last edited by AaronSch; 07-18-16 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-18-16, 07:26 PM

I see a few marketplace sellers on Amazon selling new Olive BD titles at $10 a pop (+ S/H) - 'Pork Chop Hill' and 'Quiet Gun' are 2 examples. So what's with this Olive sell-off ?
Old 07-18-16, 08:56 PM
Banned

I see a few marketplace sellers on Amazon selling new Olive BD titles at $10 a pop (+ S/H) - 'Pork Chop Hill' and 'Quiet Gun' are 2 examples. So what's with this Olive sell-off ?
I was trying to figure that out as well....Perhaps to rustle up the cash to obtain the rights to more catalog titles? I bet he competition between Olive, Kino/Lorber, Shout/Scream Factory, Arrow etc is fierce.
Old 07-19-16, 02:56 PM

They canceled stone cold even though its in stock on the website...I had to make another order because the cs is anything but...
Old 07-19-16, 06:08 PM

All of the 34 titles I ordered were $20.97 each prior to the BOGO discount. The first 2 batches that were shipped had prices charged to each title as $10.48 or $10.49. But subsequent batches were all charged $10.66 or $10.67 for each title - making then $21.32 each prior to the discount and there are NO titles there that are priced $21.xx. Anyone else have this issue ?
Old 07-19-16, 11:30 PM
Banned

No, that's odd...
Old 07-20-16, 02:49 PM
Banned

Okay, I've been a pretty big booster of Deep Discount but I gotta warn people about what occurred. I made a rather large additional purchase a couple of days ago. They ran a "pre-authorization" charge for the order on my debit card for the full amount and then ran the debit again when it shipped. The pre-authorization remained and threw my checking account into negative territory and my bank levied overdraft fees. When I was at Best Buy today to pick up "Batman v Superman," my card was declined. Watch your cards and these transactions. While these are good deals, that organization's procedures are a total fail and the time wasted on phone calls to Deep Discount and my bank became a major aggravation.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.