Old 07-13-16, 09:54 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: OLIVE Films BOGO Sale at Deep Discount

Originally Posted by thetao
Might anybody be interested in Olive's 4-film noir box

http://www.deepdiscount.com/film-noi...i/887090030403

with Rope of Sand, Dark City, Union Station, and Appointment with Danger ? I'm not motivated enough to buy two sets unless there's a buyer already
http://www.dvdplanet.com/film-noir-c...i/887090030403

Dvdplanet is DD sister company. They are mirroring the sale with no need to do buy 1 get 1.. The have 10 percent code "HAPPY" until 7/15 which brings it down to around 27 dollars. Then add an item for free shipping at 35 dollar purchase. Don't post to other forums about it as it could go on backorder.

Last edited by g; 07-13-16 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-14-16, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronSch
I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say based solely on the screen shots (usually a bad idea) I prefer the Olive version. The flesh tones appear more natural, it is brighter while the MoC release is obviously sharper and boasts deeper blacks. I sit around 12 feet from my screen and I doubt my viewing experience will suffer in the least. I don't have a region-free player and don't plan on buying one anytime soon. Considering the price I paid and the minor differences, I'm more than happy with the Olive edition. I'm just not someone who studies the film with a magnifying glass and the supplements aren't enough to sway me.
I tend to hold MOC is VERY HIGH regard; but sometimes I think Beaver goes overboard. I used to like the site much better 10 years ago. I think it's become all about profit for him.
Old 07-14-16, 07:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A few things I find very important regarding the MOC 1900 release - (1) English subtitles for the entire film and not just the spoken Italian scenes (which I believe is what Olive has); (2) booklet/liner notes (I'm a sucker for these when they're well done); (3) the 30-minute documentary which is actually about 1900 vs. the Bertolucci interview that's on the Olive; (4) higher bit-rate (yes, sometimes there really isn't much of a difference, but I do remember being somewhat underwhelmed by Olive's HD version which led me to selling my copy a couple of years ago).

For the casual, non-region-free Bertolucci fan, the Olive is certainly the way to go. But for me personally, the MOC has enough 'improvements' to justify it's purchase (when the price brings it down to around $15, which is my personal price-point for this title).

Peter
Old 07-14-16, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

I don't think anything is going OOP. DDD seems to be removing titles as they run out of them. Probably don't want people ordering a bunch of backorder items they can't fill. Soon as they get more in the titles are restored to the site. I've seen them do this before, particularly with new items that are hot sellers.
This use to happen a lot in the early days of DVD. A title would get released, the next day it's out of stock across the entire internet because every retailer exhausted their initial stock with pre-orders. They would show up on ebay at high prices then be back in stock everywhere within a few weeks.
It's mentioned on bluray.com that The Enforcer is between pressings. They just have to press more is all.
This happened with the first release of The Matrix. Every copy got sold and it was unavailable for a while until WB could get more pressed.
Old 07-14-16, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

It looks like they've removed over 100 titles, but they still have lots of backordered titles available to order.
Old 07-14-16, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Proglodite
...For the casual, non-region-free Bertolucci fan, the Olive is certainly the way to go. But for me personally, the MOC has enough 'improvements' to justify it's purchase (when the price brings it down to around $15, which is my personal price-point for this title).

Peter
That certainly describes me. I totally understand that many HD film enthusiasts try to get the very best version available. To a certain extent, I do as well. However, unless it's a film for which I have a strong emotional attachment, I'm trying to stop re-purchasing films I already own in favor of adding new titles to my collection. It's a difficult task because those of us who prefer HD over SD can't help ourselves—we are anal retentive by nature.

In many cases, I believe "new and improved" versions are not quite the upgrade many claim. For instance, I compared my MGM version of "Dressed to Kill" with a friend's Criterion version on the same 65" 1080p display—we both actually found the MGM disc more visually pleasing than the Criterion disc. So, for my needs, the MGM disc is fine. In many cases, the improvements are so minimal you can't see the difference unless someone literally points it out to you. Is that really improving the overall experience? Nah. I've read many posts in various forums by those who hold "Masters of Cinema" in very high regard. However, in this case I ordered the Olive version of "1900" because the cost was more than reasonable and the differences appear to be minimal at best. So, based on online reviews and the images presented on DVDBeaver, I believe I'll be more than satisfied with this purchase. I am expecting my first Deep Discount order to arrive Friday or Saturday.
Old 07-14-16, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rw2516
I don't think anything is going OOP. DDD seems to be removing titles as they run out of them....
Yeah, I believe this is simply an inventory reduction in cooperation with the distributor because the items still appear on the Olive Films website. I am glad I grabbed what I did but wish I had ordered about a half dozen more. I may be wrong, but I doubt we will see prices like that again on many of these titles.
Old 07-14-16, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

What often happens is that Deepdiscount may have planned to return their unsold inventory for full credit back to Olive Films. The label will often cut the distributor a deal to sell the stock off instead of taking it back.
Old 07-14-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Yeah, I believe this is simply an inventory reduction in cooperation with the distributor because the items still appear on the Olive Films website. I am glad I grabbed what I did but wish I had ordered about a half dozen more. I may be wrong, but I doubt we will see prices like that again on many of these titles.
There's ALWAYS another time for a sale like this. Not a large populace will spend $20 and above on offerings from a company, that doesn't clean up the HD masters given to it and in an example of utter arrogance/indifference, doesn't care to provide subtitles. So inventories will build and they need to clear it up like in these sales. I wouldn't personally even justify paying $10 for these given the lack of subtitles. As for inventories, other retailers are clearing them up as well. Someone mentioned DD's sister company DVDPlanet is having a similar sale with prices halved and not needing to go BOGO. A couple of months ago, Hastings' clearance tab had a limited number of Olive Titles being cleared out initially with a $10.30 price, then down to $8.30 on BDs (with Olive DVD's being sold for a low $2.29, regrettably something I didn't take advantage of). So Olive needs to change its strategy and do some additional work on its products other than treating their HD offerings as a favor towards collectors.
Old 07-14-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

They have been including subtitles on discs released in the past few months.
Old 07-14-16, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g
http://www.dvdplanet.com/film-noir-c...i/887090030403

Dvdplanet is DD sister company. They are mirroring the sale with no need to do buy 1 get 1..
[...]
Thanks! They always seem to be doing little more than taking up space, so I never looked. Ordered.
Old 07-14-16, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
What often happens is that Deepdiscount may have planned to return their unsold inventory for full credit back to Olive Films. The label will often cut the distributor a deal to sell the stock off instead of taking it back.
Given how many titles are now on backorder, it seems mission accomplished. But the sale goes on, so perhaps somebody is pleased with the heightened sales numbers? It shouldn't be rocket science that lower prices = more sales. Only once did I spent more than ~$12.50 for any Olive title and am glad I held out.
Old 07-14-16, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Good point; remember DD isn't really a retailer. They are a wholesaler called Super D & order in huge quantities.
Old 07-15-16, 12:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
There's ALWAYS another time for a sale like this. Not a large populace will spend $20 and above on offerings from a company, that doesn't clean up the HD masters given to it and in an example of utter arrogance/indifference, doesn't care to provide subtitles. So inventories will build and they need to clear it up like in these sales. I wouldn't personally even justify paying $10 for these given the lack of subtitles. As for inventories, other retailers are clearing them up as well. Someone mentioned DD's sister company DVDPlanet is having a similar sale with prices halved and not needing to go BOGO. A couple of months ago, Hastings' clearance tab had a limited number of Olive Titles being cleared out initially with a $10.30 price, then down to $8.30 on BDs (with Olive DVD's being sold for a low $2.29, regrettably something I didn't take advantage of). So Olive needs to change its strategy and do some additional work on its products other than treating their HD offerings as a favor towards collectors.
I think you are making a blanket statement here. I did a bit of research and read reviews from a handful of websites before I ordered. The 18 titles I picked up have generally positive reviews for PQ and AQ—and I simply love the use of original one-sheets for the covers. Subtitles and supplements are generally not an issue for me and I think the price point is more than fair for many of these titles. As I pointed out previously, these would have to be priced at $9.63 via Amazon or another retailer to match what I paid via Deep Discount. The Hastings sale only included a handful of titles so that's a bit misleading. The only one I might have grabbed was "The Pawnbroker" and I passed on it for this sale as well. So, I'm happy as hell to own these movies on Blu-ray—especially since I never dreamed many of them would ever make it to high definition. Gripe all you want, but I'm pleased as can be!

Last edited by AaronSch; 07-15-16 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Many Olive Films' discs have been pulled completely from DD's site during this sale and there are reports of widespread cancellations. This sale does appear to have been DD getting rid of their Olive inventory.
Old 07-15-16, 12:21 AM
Banned

Many Olive Films' discs have been pulled completely from DD's site during this sale and there are reports of widespread cancellations. This sale does appear to have been DD getting rid of their Olive inventory.
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought might be afoot here, but earlier today I was at the site and many titles appeared to be back in stock. I placed two orders and may still do a third. So far, no notice of any cancellations. My first order of 8 titles should arrive in a day or two.

Last edited by AaronSch; 07-15-16 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How is DD handling cancelations?

If your $21 disc is in stock and they cancel the free one do they only charge you half price for the one that's in stock?
Old 07-15-16, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
How is DD handling cancelations?

If your $21 disc is in stock and they cancel the free one do they only charge you half price for the one that's in stock?
I don't know about this particular sale but that is what they have done in the past.

Same with coupons. If something is out of stock and they have to cancel, you still get the other items for the coupon price even if the out of stock item took you out of the minimum to use the coupon..
Old 07-15-16, 01:17 PM
Banned

Yeah, I've had no problem with Deep Discount in the past. My orders were in early and I have not received a single cancellation notice. However 4 titles have yet to ship from the 18 I ordered. Some of the reported cancellations are likely people who ordered items out-of-stock or backordered at the time of purchase. I've done that in the past and have been lucky, however, one should not be upset if the order ends up being cancelled. In another forum, someone stated that this sale continues through July 22nd. This is looking like more like a liquidation sale each passing day.
Old 07-15-16, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

DD is holding one of my titles which is in stock, and one other is on backorder. 4 other titles have shipped.
Old 07-15-16, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The thing about DD is that they cancel backorders and out-of-stock orders after 30 days. So if they're not restocking on "backordered" items, they might not ship and get cancelled in August.
Old 07-15-16, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Sometimes they do, sometimes they ask if I want to keep the order open. I'm not sure what makes the difference, but it's either variable (with an unknow variable) or just random
DD canceled an order and I asked why in the past. They replied, "The system did it."
Old 07-16-16, 03:02 AM

I received a cancellation notice about an hour ago for 5 of my 6 backordered disks. Only the DVD remains listed on their site for the 6th, so I suspect that one will be cancelled, too. Amazon has a good price for one of them, and I'm pondering snagging that copy.

Edit: Titles like Voodoo Man and Flying Disc Man From Mars went on sale only last November, so I'm surprised they didn't keep those orders open longer. Maybe "the system" did do it? Bad system! DD, it just lost you $60.

Last edited by thetao; 07-16-16 at 03:12 AM.
Old 07-16-16, 10:39 AM
Banned

Well, let me give everyone a word of advice: Don't expect any constructive help at Deep Discount's Customer Service. I called just to check status because a couple of titles have yet to ship that currently show "in stock" and were ordered last week. I wanted to know whether I should re-order and just cancel the items on the previous order but I am worried they will cancel the other items as well. The CSR was clueless so I will just be patient and wait till Monday. I also asked for confirmation of when the sale ends and they have no idea. Twelve of my 18 items have shipped in three separate packages and two of them are scheduled to arrive today with the third to be delivered on Tuesday. Even if a few end up being cancelled I wouldn't get that upset. I am luckier than some that have voiced their displeasure.
Old 07-16-16, 10:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

No shipping notices for me yet; Big Combo and Caveman have been cancelled. --Peter

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.