OLIVE Films BOGO Sale at Deep Discount

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

OLIVE Films BOGO Sale at Deep Discount

Old 07-11-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts
Re: OLIVE Films BOGO Sale at Deep Discount

Originally Posted by Brian T
Problem is, that catalog has approx. 75 titles I'd like to see (or own, of the ones I've already seen), which means some pruning will be necessary
Well, I got it down to 46 titles. Good lord . . .
Old 07-11-16, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally decided on 18 titles ...that's it I am done!

Last edited by AaronSch; 07-15-16 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-11-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I chose 14 but I didnt see any price recduction as I checked out. I will have to call them.
Old 07-11-16, 12:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MScottM
I chose 14 but I didnt see any price recduction as I checked out. I will have to call them.
Did you apply the discount code OLIVEBOGO?
Old 07-11-16, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronSch
I vaguely remember Steve Stanchfield over at Thunderbean animation commenting about this...he's the guy who would do it right.
I copied my VHS box to DVDR, & until there's something similar.........
Old 07-12-16, 12:23 PM
Banned

This is starting to look more like a sustained clearance sale. Some titles are being removed rather than being labelled "backordered." There are still a few John Wayne titles I would like to own along with a few others that peaked my interest. I am relieved I got in early and carefully sifted through the catalog to grab the titles I was most passionate about owning.
Old 07-12-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you apply the discount code OLIVEBOGO?
Actually, I hadn't. I had them cancel that order and made a new order using OLIVEBOGO.
Old 07-12-16, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is starting to look more like a sustained clearance sale. Some titles are being removed rather than being labelled "backordered." There are still a few John Wayne titles I would like to own along with a few others that peaked my interest. I am relieved I got in early and carefully sifted through the catalog to grab the titles I was most passionate about owning.
I was going to recommend that if you like John Wayne, you cant go wrong by ordering The Quiet Man. Probably his best movie. But I see that you already own it. Looking thru your movies I see that we have similar tastes. Your collection is a little smaller than mine but i didnt see too many movies that you have that I dont.
Old 07-12-16, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

My guess is that Olive Films manufactured no more than 1000-1500 units for most of these titles. I doubt they stay in print beyond the initial run unless it's a popular film.
Old 07-12-16, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

1900 was a very nice presentation. One of my favorite titles.

I also recommend Undertow.
Old 07-12-16, 06:52 PM
Banned

s
I was going to recommend that if you like John Wayne, you cant go wrong by ordering The Quiet Man. Probably his best movie. But I see that you already own it. Looking thru your movies I see that we have similar tastes. Your collection is a little smaller than mine but i didnt see too many movies that you have that I dont.
That's cool...wish I could see your collection. I started with DVD, then HD DVD and ultimately moved to Blu-ray back in 2006-2007. However, I was forced to sell off my collection when the economy went south and I was out of work. I've been rebuilding it these last two years pouring alot of discretionary spending into grabbing things up that are swiftly going OOP. I go treasure hunting at pawn shops, resellers, discounters and I scour websites looking for deals online. It's amazing but certain titles now out-of-print can be had for a fraction of what resellers via Amazon are asking. We have a reseller with multiple locations in Arizona and Las Vegas called Zia Record Exchange—they've been in business for decades. Just recently acquired both Ace Ventura titles and Short Circuit on Blu-ray. Each had a price of $7.99 but with discount points I accumulated, I acquired each for a paltry $3.99! I also like buying used because they often are traded in with slipcovers that have long since disappeared. I think my passion for collecting is growing as more people abandon the hobby....I'm guessing many will regret their decision.

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
1900 was a very nice presentation. One of my favorite titles.

I also recommend Undertow.
Yes, I agree. I saw Undertow on DVD quite a few years ago and consider it an underrated gem. I've never viewed "1900," so excited to hear you liked it and that Olive Films did a fine job. Hoping both will arrive by weeks' end.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
My guess is that Olive Films manufactured no more than 1000-1500 units for most of these titles. I doubt they stay in print beyond the initial run unless it's a popular film.
You are probably in the ballpark on the units produced. That's why I really went overboard during this sale. There are still a few I would like to add to my collection but I had to whittle the list down to those I would be most bummed to miss out on owning. I think I grabbed some solid titles along with a few guilty pleasures. My strategy of buying has been to put off contemporary films that aren't "must-haves" in favor of these more obscure catalog titles. I'm afraid once they are gone, that's it, they are gone.

Last edited by AaronSch; 07-12-16 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-12-16, 07:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Found 16 titles, but 15 are back ordered. Sounds like I snoozed and lost. Or maybe a win, I have enough.....
Old 07-12-16, 07:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
Found 16 titles, but 15 are back ordered. Sounds like I snoozed and lost. Or maybe a win, I have enough.....
I've read that people who have purchased items on backorder never received their product, but I don't recall that ever happening to me. If they can get it back in stock, they will probably ship it to you.
Old 07-12-16, 08:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

1900 is a great film and the Olive release is pretty decent...but Masters of Cinema in the UK has released this title and I suspect that version trumps the Olive....that's the one I'll go for when the price drops a little more. --Peter
Old 07-12-16, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[no longer relevant]

Edit: one of my backordered BD's just shipped, although it's still listed as "backordered" on the site.

Last edited by thetao; 07-14-16 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

s

That's cool...wish I could see your collection.
There is a link to my collection in every post I make. Are you unable to open it?
Old 07-13-16, 10:24 AM
Banned

There is a link to my collection in every post I make. Are you unable to open it?
Yes, now I can....looking through your collection reminds me that there are so many great titles that have yet to make it to Blu-ray. But when titles like "Yours, Mine and Ours" can make it to HD there is hope for films like "Trouble with Angels" that were fun movies to watch in my youth.

I just went through the Olive titles again during a moment of weakness. Almost everything is on backorder...what a feeding frenzy! Is physical media really dying?

Last edited by AaronSch; 07-13-16 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 03:34 PM

Looks like everything shipped except Stone Cold...everything was in stock when I ordered on the 8th.
Old 07-13-16, 08:14 PM
Banned

Over at Blu-ray.com someone has posted that the Humphrey Bogart film, "The Enforcer" is now OOP. So it went from available on Saturday to backordered on Sunday to OOP. Geesh...one of two things may be at work here. Either this is just an inventory reduction to make way for new titles or is it possible that Olive Films is in trouble? I kinda doubt that since they are announcing new titles but I wish I had the extra funds to buy a few more...so grateful I got in early.
Old 07-13-16, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They could be re-focusing their releases. Sometimes companies will release a large section of titles but don't get the interest they thought they could get.

But I hope they don't go out of business.
Old 07-13-16, 08:40 PM
Banned

They could be re-focusing their releases. Sometimes companies will release a large section of titles but don't get the interest they thought they could get.

But I hope they don't go out of business.
Yeah, one title that was on my original buy list was Liza Minelli's "The Sterile Cuckoo." It is no longer available at Deep Discount and just a few copies left on Amazon. Not a good sign....this is one of the longest sales DD has run. I may grab a copy on Amazon in the next day or so if things look bleak.

Last edited by AaronSch; 07-13-16 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Proglodite
1900 is a great film and the Olive release is pretty decent...but Masters of Cinema in the UK has released this title and I suspect that version trumps the Olive....that's the one I'll go for when the price drops a little more. --Peter
Good point. I wasn't even thinking that MoC did a release.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-r...00_blu-ray.htm
Old 07-13-16, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, I had to order something:

Betrayed
Of Mice & Men
Secret Admirer
Stone Cold
The Quiet Man
Undertow

If any of you ordered Stone Cold, Betrayed is the perfect compliment. Debra Winger and Tom Beringer are excellent in that movie.
Old 07-13-16, 09:34 PM
Banned

Good point. I wasn't even thinking that MoC did a release.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-r...00_blu-ray.htm
I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say based solely on the screen shots (usually a bad idea) I prefer the Olive version. The flesh tones appear more natural, it is brighter while the MoC release is obviously sharper and boasts deeper blacks. I sit around 12 feet from my screen and I doubt my viewing experience will suffer in the least. I don't have a region-free player and don't plan on buying one anytime soon. Considering the price I paid and the minor differences, I'm more than happy with the Olive edition. I'm just not someone who studies the film with a magnifying glass and the supplements aren't enough to sway me.

Last edited by AaronSch; 07-13-16 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, that's what I observed as well. The sharpness was more noticeable with the MoC release. Such a big difference in file sizes, which is odd there is so little difference. Definitely not complaining with my Olive release I own.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.