DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Hide Wikipost
Old 09-22-16, 10:20 AM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Twilight Time Blu-Ray Deals
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Trevor
main Screen Archives Entertainment website - site wonky, use incognito or private modes

Print Wikipost

Old 09-29-17, 07:17 PM   #376

Re: Twilight Time Blu-Ray Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
Screenarchives 10 day sale starting today at 4pm EDT - below titles are $9.95 each
The sale is off now. When did it end? That wasn't 10 days.

Saves me from myself....

Last edited by thetao; 09-29-17 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-29-17, 08:09 PM   #377
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was the original announcement -- I guess technically 9 full days or parts of 10 days

" 10 DAY TWILIGHT TIME SALE! ALL TITLES LISTED BELOW FOR ONLY $9.95!

SALE BEGINS WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 20TH AT 4PM EDT AND ENDS FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 29TH AT 4PM EDT!

ORDERS MUST BE PLACED DURING THE SALE PERIOD TO OBTAIN THE SALE PRICING. NO PREVIOUS, CURRENTLY PENDING OR FUTURE ORDERS QUALIFY."
Old 09-29-17, 09:45 PM   #378
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetao View Post
The sale is off now. When did it end? That wasn't 10 days.

Saves me from myself....
9/20 - 9/29 which is exactly 10 days. But don't count on saving yourself so fast, the next TT sale will be here sooner than you think (they're doing it too often - unsure if that qualifies it as an observation or a complaint). Now with Olive going this 3500 limited copies route on their Signature series as well, things are heating up
Old 09-29-17, 09:55 PM   #379

I was counting 4pm on 9/20 through 4pm on 9/30, which is eleven days but ten 24-hour periods. But with my wants list as long as it is, there's always something like the Deep Discount sale to grab my attention.
Old 11-03-17, 07:47 PM   #380

What does Screen Archives/ Twilight Time usually do for Black Friday?
Old 11-08-17, 01:42 PM   #381

Time for this weeks' Twilight Time Sale:

http://newsletters.screenarchives-ne...ime-sale-2017/
Old 11-08-17, 02:32 PM   #382
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
Time for this weeks' Twilight Time Sale:

http://newsletters.screenarchives-ne...ime-sale-2017/
Thanks. A gold mine for Charles Bronson completists. In for a few of the (newer) $9.95 titles, most of them having been offered umpteen times on previous sales (seems like they can't get rid of some titles). Hoping many of the $14.95 titles go to the $9.95 range on the next outing.
Old 11-08-17, 02:47 PM   #383
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got about eight I want to research and try to get it down to 3 to 4 titles. All but one are in the $14.95 price range. I really want Wild Bill @ 24.95, but I think I'll wait until it at least gets to $19.95. Twilight Time kills my wallet every single freaking time, lol.
Yes, I have my own webpage - @ Kedrix.net
Personal VUDU M2D Page -->http://www.kedrix.net/vudu-mobile-d2d/
Old 11-08-17, 02:53 PM   #384
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
I got about eight I want to research and try to get it down to 3 to 4 titles. All but one are in the $14.95 price range. I really want Wild Bill @ 24.95, but I think I'll wait until it at least gets to $19.95. Twilight Time kills my wallet every single freaking time, lol.
If S/H were reasonable, would opt for a few more titles. Its outrageous what they charge although USPS has been steadily jacking up rates. I guess they charge for the 'handling' portion of the human activity that picks the item from stock
Old 11-08-17, 03:18 PM   #385

Quote:
If S/H were reasonable, would opt for a few more titles. Its outrageous what they charge although USPS has been steadily jacking up rates. I guess they charge for the 'handling' portion of the human activity that picks the item from stock
The box, bubblewrap and styrofoam peanuts ain't free! And someone's labor shouldn't be 'free' either. And packages need to have tracking and/or insurance to help protect SAE from unscrupulous buyers. This stuff all adds up. You can opt for the Media Mail delivery option - that knocks a few dollars off. --Peter
Old 11-08-17, 03:32 PM   #386
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
The box, bubblewrap and styrofoam peanuts ain't free! And someone's labor shouldn't be 'free' either. And packages need to have tracking and/or insurance to help protect SAE from unscrupulous buyers. This stuff all adds up. You can opt for the Media Mail delivery option - that knocks a few dollars off. --Peter
Agree. Just too used to the big guys (most) shipping out of the centralized Shepherdsville, KY warehouse which gives them the power to reduce shipping costs to USA delivery locations.
Old 11-08-17, 04:20 PM   #387
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When ordering from Screen Archives you can manually switch to media mail which save some $ depending on how much you order. Its not free but liveable .
Old 11-08-17, 04:53 PM   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Films View Post
When ordering from Screen Archives you can manually switch to media mail which save some $ depending on how much you order. Its not free but liveable .
Yeah, I usually end up doing an order on Screen Archives and then one on Twilight Time to see which one is cheapest. I don't mind throwing them a few bones because the shipping isn't too bad and I really like their discs. Kino is much worse in my opinion unless you order a ton. Not everybody can be Amazon, lol.
Old 11-08-17, 05:03 PM   #389
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Lenny" sold out. Listed as first sellout in this current sale on their Facebook page.

Last edited by Classic Films; 11-08-17 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-09-17, 08:53 AM   #390

Grabbed Runaway Train, Bullet Train and At Close Range @ TT's site. I guess I should have grabbed also The Train...lol. I never do well with most black and whites though. But the list went down fairly easy (started out with 9), I was really set on Cutter's Way until I saw the trailer, and then was WTF.

The three I mentioned have been on my wish list for a while. All good...and since I'm waiting until next year to participate in a Criterion sale, I'll probably be good until Black Friday.

Edit: They are not playing around. I placed my order late last night (like 10pm) and they just sent me an email that it has shipped. Now that's what I like to see!

Last edited by Kedrix; 11-09-17 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-11-17, 08:22 PM   #391
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ZARDOZ and MR HOBBS TAKES A VACATION are now sold out.
Old 11-11-17, 08:49 PM   #392
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Films View Post
ZARDOZ and MR HOBBS TAKES A VACATION are now sold out.
Wow, this was also a 5000 LE as opposed to the typical 3000 LE. But Arrow Region B always available for a song
Old 11-14-17, 09:19 AM   #393

Quote:
Wow, this was also a 5000 LE as opposed to the typical 3000 LE. But Arrow Region B always available for a song
And I was one of the ones who bought it at launch. I don't regret it as I enjoy Sean Connery in pretty much anything...but I should have waited as I'm learning now. From what I read, it went through the first 3000 copies pretty quickly, but the last 2000 is what took forever.

Anyway, got in my three titles last night. I think that's the quickest I've ever gotten a shipment from them. Was nicely packed in a box this time...even though I think the titles from Criterion come out nicer, Twilight Time is my favorite boutique label without question. They just seem to care more.
Old 11-14-17, 12:54 PM   #394

Quote:
...even though I think the titles from Criterion come out nicer, Twilight Time is my favorite boutique label without question. They just seem to care more.
Care more about what? While I think their discs are generally of a slightly higher quality than your typical Olive or Kino release, I don't get the sense that TT is pouring their heart and souls into these discs or anything. Outside of the isolated score tracks and occasional (boring) commentary, they pretty much just take what the studios give them and put it on a disc.
Old 11-14-17, 02:43 PM   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
Care more about what? While I think their discs are generally of a slightly higher quality than your typical Olive or Kino release, I don't get the sense that TT is pouring their heart and souls into these discs or anything. Outside of the isolated score tracks and occasional (boring) commentary, they pretty much just take what the studios give them and put it on a disc.
Are any of these boutique guys really putting their heart & soul into discs, lol? Nah, but from the sales they run, how they package their wares, and their covers/presentation make you feel like you are owning a limited edition, not something that came off the line. I've asked them questions from time to time and they have always responded pretty quickly. To me, good service, a good product, and accessibility will go a long way for me. To me, it doesn't seem like they are just putting the movie on a disc. *shrug*
Old 11-14-17, 03:16 PM   #396

Quote:
Are any of these boutique guys really putting their heart & soul into discs, lol? Nah, but from the sales they run, how they package their wares, and their covers/presentation make you feel like you are owning a limited edition, not something that came off the line. I've asked them questions from time to time and they have always responded pretty quickly. To me, good service, a good product, and accessibility will go a long way for me. To me, it doesn't seem like they are just putting the movie on a disc. *shrug*
I'm not trying to start some kind of boutique label pissing match, but I guess I don't see what they do as being anything particularly special. Their sales just bring their prices more in line with what everyone else is charging and I think their in house cover art designs are mostly lacking (but that's subjective). Compare any of their releases to it's UK counterpart put out by the likes of Arrow or Indicator or MOC and the UK version is almost always better. I say this as someone who owns a few dozen TT discs, so it's not like I'm anti-TT or anything.

I will give them credit for improving their shipping/distribution. I ordered on Wednesday and received my package by Sunday. That's about as quick a turnaround as I've seen from them. That said, any other label's discs I could just order from Amazon and have them in 2 days.
Old 11-14-17, 04:11 PM   #397
DVD Talk Legend

Arrow Video goes out of their way (though that they don't always get everything right) to make sure each release receives a quality A/V presentation with a nice selection of special features. I would say the other boutique labels, including Scream Factory, mostly dump whatever they get from the studios directly on the disc.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 11-14-17, 10:51 PM   #398

I've probably been happiest with MOC/Eureka for consistent quality. Off topic, but I don't remember ever getting low quality Criterion, either.
Old 11-15-17, 11:37 AM   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Arrow Video goes out of their way (though that they don't always get everything right) to make sure each release receives a quality A/V presentation with a nice selection of special features. I would say the other boutique labels, including Scream Factory, mostly dump whatever they get from the studios directly on the disc.
Don't get me started on Shout because I'm no apologist! Some of the Collector's sets are really nice, but I think they've lost their mind on the pricing. I love how Arrow called them out when they announced they were coming to NA, but I do have to admit Shout has gotten much better since then.
Old 11-15-17, 02:22 PM   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieMLF View Post
Don't get me started on Shout because I'm no apologist! Some of the Collector's sets are really nice, but I think they've lost their mind on the pricing. I love how Arrow called them out when they announced they were coming to NA, but I do have to admit Shout has gotten much better since then.
Yeah, even though I own a lot of Shout stuff, it's only because I don't really have an option when it comes to John Carpenter's classic movies (translation, my favorite movies of all time) like the Thing, Fog and Escape from NY. Oh and all of the Darkman movies too. Occasionally, they will put out a good transfer or two, but it's just frustrating because I know in the hands of somebody else, I'd be much happier.