DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Deep Discount 15% Off through 4/4 Noon CDT (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/633791-deep-discount-15%25-off-through-4-4-noon-cdt.html)

hariseldon 04-01-16 01:53 PM

Deep Discount 15% Off through 4/4 Noon CDT

NOJOKE code -- exp 4/4 Noon CDT

FS $25

As always spotty sales, but certain categories are good to very good prices.

Many Warner Archive prices are at/near the $4 of 44 deal -- lower on some itmes that weren't included included in the WB sale and sign. better if you couldn't make FS or pay tax at WB, but not DD.

WAV DC COmics are on sale

Many Kino Items are quite good prices compared to Amazon, etc including Vincent Price III, and preorders for the Keaton Shorts boxset, and Noir Boxset. Boxset may add a heavy shipping charge.

asianxcore 04-01-16 11:01 PM

Re: Deep Discount 15% Off through 4/4 Noon CDT

Thanks OP!

Pre-ordered Schramm & NOTLD (1990) for $35 shipped.

MooMooMooMoo 04-02-16 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 12766726)
Thanks OP!

Pre-ordered Schramm & NOTLD (1990) for $35 shipped.

I need to find a CHEAP 3rd piece. With the discount, I'm around $1.50 below free ship..........

DVD Polizei 04-02-16 11:59 AM

Some potentially good deals here. Kino titles might be an option. Gorgio Moroder's Metropolis for $9.03.

asianxcore 04-02-16 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 12766768)
I need to find a CHEAP 3rd piece. With the discount, I'm around $1.50 below free ship..........

The Mill Creek titles are usually in the $4-5 range if that helps.

Sweet Baby James 04-02-16 02:14 PM

Thanks for the heads up, hariseldon. I went with Gorky Park and The Big Sleep for $25.11.

PhantomStranger 04-02-16 02:20 PM

CDs are cheap fillers. They have many CDs priced under $5.

MooMooMooMoo 04-02-16 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 12766768)

I swapped the Black Sleep blu-ray for a more expensive Wonder Years S4 & also got the Duke Ellington Treasury Series #20 CD that I wanted, & it worked out.

Basically matched the best price on ebay for Wonder Years 4 & saved a few dollars on the Ellington.

MooMooMooMoo 04-03-16 01:27 PM

I do wish DD would provide tracking. I got a shipped notice with no tracking & no tracking # on the website, either. I use a po box, & it's helpful to know that I need to go to the post office today!

SethDLH 04-03-16 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 12767618)
I do wish DD would provide tracking. I got a shipped notice with no tracking & no tracking # on the website, either. I use a po box, & it's helpful to know that I need to go to the post office today!

I've never, in hundreds and hundreds of orders from DD, not been given a tracking # - that's really strange.

DVD Polizei 04-04-16 04:07 PM

Well, I ordered NOTLD (1990) with a Kino title. Not a bad deal. I've been wanting the NOTLD 1990 version for quite sometime. Hope the PQ is as good as the other version.

DVD Polizei 04-30-16 01:35 AM

DeepDiscount canceled my NOTLD (1990) order. Just got confirmation tonight.

What the fuck. This is the kind of shit I'm tired of dealing with. DeepDiscount has done this crap before.

How do you have no stock when this was pre-ordered and available around April 8th? And this is April 29th and they are telling me this?

And when I go to order the same title...their website let's me do it. For a few bucks more of course, and an * which says more inventory is on the way.

PhantomStranger 04-30-16 03:43 PM

The people actually managing Deepdiscount changed around 2-3 years ago. They tightened up most of their money-losing practices. I never pre-order items from Deepdiscount anymore and refuse to order anything that isn't actually listed as in-stock.

You can tell the person running ImportCDs switched over and began running Deepdiscount as well. The operations are now remarkably similar.

Bill Needle 04-30-16 08:01 PM

I had something similar happen. I pre-ordered something on sale (Hobbit: Motion Picture Trilogy BR), it never delivered, was listed as out of stock for a while, and eventually they simply cancelled the order. I called to complain and after I furnished the order confirmation email to them they fulfilled the order at the original pre-order sale price.

MooMooMooMoo 04-30-16 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12790314)
The people actually managing Deepdiscount changed around 2-3 years ago. They tightened up most of their money-losing practices. I never pre-order items from Deepdiscount anymore and refuse to order anything that isn't actually listed as in-stock.

You can tell the person running ImportCDs switched over and began running Deepdiscount as well. The operations are now remarkably similar.

Wholesaler Super D (formerly Phantom) bought DD, ICD & about 8 other similar online retailers 2-4 years ago with basically the goal of underselling there own wholesale prices & putting mid sized net retailers out of business. The strategy has somewhat succeeded.

The only non corporate competition of any size left that I know of in the USA are blowitoughtahere & the Movie Mars/Odd Banana combo.

rw2516 05-01-16 08:54 AM

Once you meet the threshold of discount eligible titles the discount also applies to anything else in your order. I got 5 eligible Shout titles and got 15% off non-eligible titles like Arrow's Dillinger, Ssssss and Panic in Year Zero also.

PhantomStranger 05-01-16 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 12790479)
Wholesaler Super D (formerly Phantom) bought DD, ICD & about 8 other similar online retailers 2-4 years ago with basically the goal of underselling there own wholesale prices & putting mid sized net retailers out of business. The strategy has somewhat succeeded.

The only non corporate competition of any size left that I know of in the USA are blowitoughtahere & the Movie Mars/Odd Banana combo.

I would say it has worked better than they could have imagined. They've eliminated all pricing competition on the Internet from other U.S.-based retailers, effectively netting more margin on media. It also helps that Amazon doesn't care about using media anymore as a loss leader. If I didn't know better, I would think Amazon colluded with Super D to raise media prices across the board.

The only fly in the ointment for them has been the relative strength of the Dollar, which enables European retailers to severely undercut them. Most of my media purchases have shifted to imports in the past three years.

triste realtą 05-01-16 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 12790479)

Both blowitoutahere and dd have © DirectToU, LLC at the bottom.

MooMooMooMoo 05-01-16 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by triste realtą (Post 12790828)
Both blowitoutahere and dd have © DirectToU, LLC at the bottom.

OMG, I thought biooh was one of the good guys. Oh, my.

There's at least 8 that I knew of at one time; I've forgotten the names of a number of there aquisitions. They basically put me out of business. World's Records; probably the largest Jazz specialty internet retailer also came out & basically blamed Super D when they shut down.

In the day, Phantom was a very good indie wholesaler. A few years ago, they changed there name to Super D, started all the acquisitions, & largely took over the 1 step below Amazon segment of the internet.

The problem for retailers is the various retailers owned by Super D undercut Super D's wholesale prices.

PhantomStranger 05-02-16 12:32 AM

Yeah, I don't think many second-tier media retailers exist anymore that aren't owned by Super D. Blowitoutahere got bought out as well and it's pretty clear no one is running that shop anymore, it's on autopilot.

MovieMars may be the last one left outside Super D's empire.

Josh-da-man 05-02-16 10:41 AM

I miss the days of reel.com, 800.com, bigstardvd.com, and dvdexpress.com. Also, to a certain extent, buy.com. :(

PhantomStranger 05-02-16 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12791300)
I miss the days of reel.com, 800.com, bigstardvd.com, and dvdexpress.com. Also, to a certain extent, buy.com. :(

I'm pretty sure that buy.com lives on as overstock.com.

joltman 05-03-16 06:24 AM

buy.com is now rakuten.com, unless you meant the spirit of buy.com lives on through overstock.com
I'm sure he was referring to the deals they used to have though, not just the actual website.

TheBang 05-03-16 10:14 AM

Is dvdempire still independent?

DVD Polizei 05-03-16 11:36 AM

Not sure but their website is lame. So, it's probably not, come to think of it.