DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   4K / Ultra HD Blu-ray: Discounts and deals (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/633425-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-discounts-deals.html)

soundman2 03-02-16 12:43 PM

4K / Ultra HD Blu-ray: Discounts and deals

Ultra HD 4K is hear. Samsung has a player out UBD-K8500 ($400). Panasonic to follow

Most of us are just getting around to upgrading all our DVD to BD.
Now should we go straight to buying 4k (since most 4K packs also include BD + DC ) - yes price is a concern for now.
Wish there were free movies given out with players ( Panasonic is offering 2 Free movies: Mad Max: Fury Road and San Andreas)

Any thoughts and Experiences:

The following 4K titles are all $29.99

The Martian
The amazing spider-man 2
Chappie
Exodus: Gods and Kings
Hitman
Fantastic Four
The smurfs
Mad Max: Fury Road
The last witch hunter
San Andreas
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Sicario
The Expendables 3
Ender’s Game
Kingsman: the Secret Service
The Maze Runner
Hancock
Salt
Pineapple Express
Wild
The smurfs
Deadpool (coming)
The Revenant (coming)

E Unit 03-02-16 01:05 PM

re: 4K / Ultra HD Blu-ray: Discounts and deals

Probably not a bad idea to start a thread like this. It'll probably not have a lot of good deals for a while. But I'll keep my eyes peeled for some sales. But those software prices have got to drop.

IamLegend 03-02-16 01:13 PM

This Kinda reminds me of the wonderful days of laserdisc. My awesome and hugely expensive Pioneer LD Player that could automatically flip discs and my $100 Criterion Special Editions-oh those were the days. Then started noticing these little discs called dvd in small space of Ken's Cranes Laser Disc store-we know what happened there. So which way will 4k go. One thing is for certain-these prices will drop with 100% certainty.

PerryD 03-02-16 01:41 PM

For new releases like Deadpool or Revenant, I may get the 4K bundle to jump start an eventual collection. I recently preordered The Peanuts movie on blu-ray 3D at Target. The day and date 4K release costs more, and I lose the 3D disc, so I had to pass on it for now.

masetodd 03-02-16 01:45 PM

One of these days, my 1080p TV will die and I'll replace it with a 4K. Meanwhile, I'm perfectly happy with standard blu-ray.

If the 4k discs drop down to normal prices, I'll probably buy movies in combo sets (4K+BD) to future-proof. But there is no way I'm paying a premium for another format which may die out (remember 3D anybody).

DVD Polizei 03-02-16 02:18 PM

It's gonna be a while for me. I've seen 4K material and it looks great, but I also know 4K will get the same uneven treatment by studios that Blu-ray received, and will be more of a marketing scheme than giving consumers high quality overall. Eventually, everything will be labeled 4K, and I suspect we'll start seeing the Blu-ray upconversions in 4K cases.

Can't wait for Mill Creek and Echo Bridges of the world to start their 4K upconversions.

davidlynchfan 03-02-16 03:05 PM

I already got my 4K set (Vizio M50-C1), Great picture, got the set for bargain basement price in my opinion ($480 from Warehouse Deals) I'm a believer in 4K, Upconverted Blu-rays look great with my Panny 460 "BUT" I will be extremely patient to pick up a 4K player. Until there's a decent amount of quality titles out, my unconverted Blu-rays will do just fine. I wouldn't even pay $10 bucks for the majority of the announced titles thus far.

b2net 03-02-16 03:22 PM

I wonder if there will be a top level under Shopping Discussions for Ultra HD 4K...

If so, this thread is a great start to that..

Also the discussion thread under HD Talk (Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray) could move to 4K Talk or Ultra HD Talk or Ultra HD 4K Talk still in the section DVD Discussions (should that change to Media Discussions as it includes other non-DVD items? I often wonder if slight changes may drive more traffic to our community)..

DVD Polizei 03-02-16 04:01 PM

I remember we discussed in the past about the point where HD was realized on a particular size of television. I have no idea at this point, but I remember comparing televisions between DVD and Blu-ray movies on 32" sizes and thinking, I needed to go at least 50" to see some differences

Also, the more I read about the hardware being connected to studios and activation protocols for each fucking movie, I'm just not interested. Blu-ray is problematic enough. The new AACS protocols are just ridiculous and I don't need that kind of helicopter mommie at my age.

Adam Tyner 03-02-16 04:27 PM

An actual deal!

If you haven't signed up for FoxConnect's newsletters before, you can get 30% off of Fox's UHD BDs, bringing 'em down to $18 a pop.

Also, Amazon has Sony's UHD BDs for $26-$27 each.

TGM 03-02-16 04:39 PM

so... is this a significant upgrade from bluray???

DVD Polizei 03-02-16 04:54 PM

Depends on the title. I'm not sure if any review sites are doing 4K vs BD comparisons yet.

drmar35mm 03-03-16 06:38 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Blu Ray is my ultimate physical format. I'm delighted with the way my Blus look and there is no way I'm rebuying titles like I have rebought many, many DVDs for Blus. I can see getting a 4k OLED when they're at a reasonable cost, but I don't care about the 4K disks.

davidh777 03-03-16 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 12740977)
Also the discussion thread under HD Talk (Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray) could move to 4K Talk or Ultra HD Talk or Ultra HD 4K Talk still in the section DVD Discussions (should that change to Media Discussions as it includes other non-DVD items? I often wonder if slight changes may drive more traffic to our community)..

Seems like "thoughts" have already been expressed in that thread, so I'm not sure why they would need to be here as well. Might make more sense to have this thread for deals only. :shrug:

DVD Polizei 03-03-16 07:21 PM

I wonder if we'll have the generous Upgrade To 4K like we did with Blu-ray.

E Unit 03-03-16 07:38 PM

That was a nice program. Doubtful, but if there was a program like that, I'd probably start buying into 4k sooner rather than later.

kenbenobi 03-04-16 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12742215)
I wonder if we'll have the generous Upgrade To 4K like we did with Blu-ray.

Dream on!!!

I do not plan on upgrading my collection to 4K. However, I may start to buy some titles in 4K instead of buying the standard BD version. Deadpool is one title I will probably do this for, especially if Foxconnect sells it (and it IS a Fox title). FC should be a good place to pick up cheap 4K titles with their sporadic coupons, but I'm not paying to upgrade anything I already own... Except for Star Wars, if that ever comes out.

But I do not plan on buying any 4K equipment anytime soon. Not unless my 60" TV dies. That will be a sign for me to upgrade...

Mike86 03-04-16 06:41 PM

I don't care about upgrading for the majority of titles that I own. I guess like some others have mentioned I may buy new releases if they're priced close to the regular Blu-ray counterparts but other than that I'm not going out of my way to pay more for them.

Adam Tyner 03-04-16 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 12743024)
Deadpool is one title I will probably do this for, especially if Foxconnect sells it (and it IS a Fox title).

I'm sure they will. I'm a little puzzled why FoxConnect carries the DVD and Blu-ray editions of The Revenant but not the UHD BD, at least not yet.

PhantomStranger 03-05-16 01:02 PM

Are the digital copies included with UHDs identical to the UV codes included with standard Blu-rays? I know VUDU has begun selling 4K versions of some movies.

Adam Tyner 03-05-16 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12743412)
Are the digital copies included with UHDs identical to the UV codes included with standard Blu-rays? I know VUDU has begun selling 4K versions of some movies.

I haven't tried redeeming the digital copies on my two Fox UHD BDs, but the slips don't say anything about 4K/UHD.

Mickactual 03-05-16 07:24 PM

So now there's gonna be three formats on the market...and at three separate price points?
There are so many people out there who haven't upgraded from DVD to Blu yet. I don't even understand why DVD still exists. If price is the only reason, then 4k (which will undoubtedly be higher than BluRay) is doomed.
Me - I have a half BluRay/half DVD collection I'm watching on a 720p TV. After having upgraded from VHS to LD to DVD to Blu, I'm really kinda feeling done with being soaked over & over.
...And we all know 8k can't bee too far down the road anyway. ;)

Alan Smithee 03-05-16 09:04 PM

Just as long as you can still watch your VHS tapes on your new 4K TV, you're not forced to replace any of them!

Adam Tyner 03-06-16 03:19 PM

Expendables III and Ender's Game are $19.99 a pop at frys.com.

That'sAllFolks 03-06-16 03:27 PM

This is just like any other format that's introduced. Most people will cling to the old stuff until the new stuff becomes cheap enough to upgrade and there are enough titles to warrant the migration. I guess the problem is, physical media is suffering a slow death and this format may be the LD of our generation. I hope not, but it probably will be.

I have no plans on upgrading, but may if the price becomes attractive enough. I still watch my DVDs, and though I'd prefer a BD, availability and price still play a part. I see no reason to upgrade a mediocre movie in my collection to BD unless the price really warrants it. IOW, I don't "HAVE" to have hi-def on every movie. I'm by no means rich, and I pick my battles.

DVD Polizei 03-06-16 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 12744177)
Expendables III and Ender's Game are $19.99 a pop at frys.com.

Ender's Game would be nice to see on 4K.

Alan Smithee 03-06-16 07:22 PM

I guess the problem is, physical media is suffering a slow death and this format may be the LD of our generation.
I didn't have as big a problem with the "smaller" market for LD, since it catered more to enthusiasts than the typical idiot consumers, as I did with their PRICING- average price for a movie was $40, some more some less. I don't know if the market could EVER go back to that kind of pricing- possibly for something really "cool" or "exclusive" but not for something like an Adam Sandler movie. I was going to grab one UHD disc at Best Buy just to have one of the first, but couldn't bring myself to spend $30 on it. That might've been a bargain in the laserdisc era, but I can't see them selling many of these at that price at least for long (the first Blu-Rays were priced about the same however and they've since dropped. Laserdisc prices on the other hand kept going up until DVD came out and took away most of its market.)

AaronSch 03-07-16 12:36 AM

I'm not upgrading again. It's the law of diminishing returns. UHD isn't going to improve the experience enough to justify the ridiculously high added cost. Few films will benefit and most aren't worth the upgrade—"You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig." Two-thirds of us still prefer DVDs and never made the transition to Blu-ray. An even smaller fraction of the high definition audience will buy into UHD and it will give new meaning to the words "niche market." Sorry folks, it's DOA. I've never had so much dis-interest for new technology. Yawn.

consoleman 03-07-16 07:12 AM

I'm pretty much taking the approach of not buying stuff again and again each time a new generation of media comes out, not unless it is deeply discounted and I feel like I'm getting much more than what I have already.

I do admit to upgrading a good number of dvds to bluray but only when the price dropped to $5 or less. The majority of my bluray collection are new stuff I never owned before. While I don't plan to upgrade to 4k anytime soon, there will come a time that's not too far in the future when it becomes cost-effective to buy the 4k version of new movies especially since the regular bluray is included. My plan is to only buy the newest movies in 4k and I will probably stop buying regular blurays now and wait for the 4k version to drop in price.

No plan to buy the 4k player till a year or two from now. Can't afford it. But that won't stop me from collecting 4k movies when prices really drop even if I don't have the machine to play it yet.

E Unit 03-07-16 07:49 AM

I guess we're going to continue the bitching here about this rather this on the thread in the HD forum?

consoleman 03-07-16 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12744620)
I guess we're going to continue the bitching here about this rather this on the thread in the HD forum?

This belongs exactly where it is. As deals come up, we can get an idea of who's buying now. Just because some people, including myself, say we're not jumping in quite yet, there will be those who are and it'll be good to hear from them.

E Unit 03-07-16 08:29 AM

Think of the Amazon deals thread. It's for DEALS. Sure, people stray off, but every once in a while people have to get reminded that it's meant for posting deals. Again, there's a thread in the HD forum where we're talking about the pros and cons of 4k blu ray. Why not stick to that thread if we're going to argue about the format or when we plan on buying in.

Adam Tyner 03-07-16 08:29 AM

This is a Bargains forum. Discussion should therefore be primarily oriented around bargains. It's okay if things briefly veer off-point as a natural part of the discussion, but "is Ultra HD Blu-ray as a format worth it?" really has no place here. There's a thread for that in the appropriate forum. I really don't want this to end up like, say, the PS Vita Deals and Discussion thread at CAG which is 95% chatter and borderline-zero deals.

Why So Blu? 03-07-16 08:58 AM

Re: 4K / Ultra HD Blu-ray: Discounts and deals

:thumbsup:

E Unit 03-07-16 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 12744645)
This is a Bargains forum. Discussion should therefore be primarily oriented around bargains.

Speaking of, I picked up Ender's Game from Fry's. So first 4K purchase for me. I passed on Expendables 3 because, well it's Expendables 3. Now I need to be on the lookout for a player...

consoleman 03-07-16 11:59 AM

This is a Bargains forum. Discussion should therefore be primarily oriented around bargains. It's okay if things briefly veer off-point as a natural part of the discussion, but "is Ultra HD Blu-ray as a format worth it?" really has no place here. There's a thread for that in the appropriate forum. I really don't want this to end up like, say, the PS Vita Deals and Discussion thread at CAG which is 95% chatter and borderline-zero deals.

Good to see that the title of this blog has been changed from 4k/Ultra HD Blu-Ray: Discounts and Thoughts to Discounts and Deals if opinions of 4k is frowned upon.

Forum has been way too quiet these days. Seeing deals to get excited about has been few and far between. Just remembering the old days when the forum used to be jumping with discussions of all kind.

masetodd 03-07-16 12:15 PM

This is a Bargains forum. Discussion should therefore be primarily oriented around bargains.

That being said, does anyone honestly think $29.99 is a "bargain"?

E Unit 03-07-16 12:31 PM

No, but for now $19.99 is, like the 2 titles Adam posted.

jjcool 03-07-16 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by masetodd (Post 12744844)

Most certainly not. My guess is most people won't be jumping in to the new format until we start regularly seeing actual bargains, and on titles that people actually want.

Adam Tyner 03-07-16 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by masetodd (Post 12744844)

It's not ideal :), but when the MSRP is $39.99 - $42.99 (!), 25-30% off qualifies as a deal. The FoxConnect deal I posted -- down to $18 and change a disc -- is by any measure a bargain.