Reload this Page >

Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays

Old 05-25-18, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
re: Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays

The main thing I wanted from the Vinegar Syndrome sale sold out while I was going through Checkout
Old 05-25-18, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
The main thing I wanted from the Vinegar Syndrome sale sold out while I was going through Checkout
Ha, the slip version of Star Time sold out and I had a devil of a time moving forward, even after removing the sold out slip version from my cart. Had to logoff and use another browser....
Old 05-25-18, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

In for:

Welcome Home Brother Charles / Emma Mae $16.49
Fugitive Girls $16.49
Demon Wind (Lenticular) $22.99
Sugar Cookies $12.49
Pets (Slipcover) $22.99
Orgy of the Dead (Slipcover) $17.99

Wish more of them were truly 50% off, but I'll survive.
Old 05-25-18, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Ha, the slip version of Star Time sold out and I had a devil of a time moving forward, even after removing the sold out slip version from my cart. Had to logoff and use another browser....
Same with the LE of Blue Vengeance.

Funny thing is the LEs were the same price as they were before sale but I fully understand this sale brings in a ton of traffic to the site.
Old 06-25-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Nothing groundbreaking, but some decent deals.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FDiabolikDVD%2Fposts%2F10156555796048530&width=500" width="500" height="408" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>
Old 06-29-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Eureka/MOC is currently running a 30 title sale. I'm considering the Early Murnau 5 Blu-ray box at 25 pounds. While I can play region B, I would prefer region free. Does anyone have any region info on this, or the regular price?

https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/moc/ea...ilms-1921-1925

Here's the entire sale, ends Monday 10 AM UK time

https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/news/e...june-2018-sale
Old 06-30-18, 07:45 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Eureka/MOC is currently running a 30 title sale. I'm considering the Early Murnau 5 Blu-ray box at 25 pounds. While I can play region B, I would prefer region free. Does anyone have any region info on this, or the regular price?

Nice. I'll pick up Junebug.
Old 07-01-18, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Changeling-Limited-Blu-Ray-Region-Free/dp/B07B61G8J9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530474897&sr=8-1&keywords=the+changeling+blu+ray https://www.amazon.co.uk/Changeling-Limited-Blu-Ray-Region-Free/dp/B07B61G8J9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530474897&sr=8-1&keywords=the+changeling+blu+ray

Great deal, on Second Sight's limited edition of The Changeling. Price showed up as 17.99. When I checked out it had changed to 14.99. With shipping to the U.S. it's 18.07.
Old 07-01-18, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still deciding on the Early Murnau blu box from MOC. I discovered my current dvd's almost all have bonus features not on the blu's, so I likely wouldn't be selling them.
Old 07-01-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo

Junebug, The Rocket and Van Gogh for me. Can't beat worldwide FS. Thanks
Old 07-01-18, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bit on the Murnau. It is region b, but 5 films of this quality on blu for $33 delivered from the UK.........
Old 07-02-18, 03:45 PM

Am not sure if this was posted in other threads and/or in earlier posts and/or if it was discussed elsewhere. For those that are used to ordering from Amazon UK for Non-Region A stuff, there's a storefront that belongs to Amazon.com (US Site) from which you can order specific Amazon.co.uk (non region A and/or Region Free) titles listed in that storefront - the seller/store front is called 'Amazon Global Store UK'. Here's Bluray media offered from this store at the time of this writing:

Amazon Amazon

Pros:
1. You don't have to order from the Amazon.co.uk site and be subject to conversion rate fluctuations and/or exchange rate fees (if applicable on your payment method) - price posted is in USD and includes a nominal shipping charge posted upfront
2. Shipping is combined although not to the same degree of bulk shipping discount as it would, if ordering from Amazon.co.uk. Current shipping rates are $4.11 per title regardless of whether a single disc or multi-title box set (I put in three box sets into cart and shipping was $9.xx. Am also not sure if shipping is based on ship to ZIP)
3. You can use your Amazon.com card reward points and/or Amazon.com GCs - find this to be the biggest advantage, should you be able to find products with agreeable pricing and shipping.

Cons:
1. You are subject to the same sale tax policy as applied to Amazon.com purchases
2. There is no pricing reduction due to removal of VAT, as it would be if shopping on Amazon's Euro sites
3. Due to pricing updates, Amazon.co.uk pricing could be cheaper than thru the Amazon Global Store UK, specially with removal of VAT
4. Not all titles are available through this store but you could keep checking periodically

Hope it helps some and perhaps we can build some expertise around shopping strategies by sharing our experiences.

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 07-02-18 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-02-18, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I've noticed that option appearing more and more with popular Blu-ray imports. I haven't gamed it out to see how much extra Amazon is charging for this privilege over ordering direct from the UK.
Old 07-03-18, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally broke down & started a Prime trial this month. Delivery was great. Without Prime, there were times I received orders from Amazon.UK faster than from Amazon.US! It depended totally on where in Europe Amazon.UK shipped a given order from. The UK has been very fast for me; Germany (which Amazon.uk also uses) has been very slow.

I qualify for the poverty Prime discount; but I won't decide until the last minute whether to cancel at the end of the trial. It rubs me the wrong way to pay over $70 a year just to get acceptable service; as I don't order a ton from Amazon. I also really can't afford it even with the discount; & I don't stream video at all. I either use physical discs or download files.
Old 07-03-18, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Prime service makes sense around the holiday season, when Amazon runs far better media pricing and delivery times get even quicker. The rest of the year it's hard to justify if you aren't using the video streaming.
Old 07-03-18, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bit on the trial because:

1. A misprice on a cd box set down to $7.30 (it went back up to $31 right after I ordered it)

2. Prime Day; I'll see if it's worthwhile. My suspicion is I'll probably drop it.
Old 07-04-18, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Am not sure if this was posted in other threads and/or in earlier posts and/or if it was discussed elsewhere. For those that are used to ordering from Amazon UK for Non-Region A stuff, there's a storefront that belongs to Amazon.com (US Site) from which you can order specific Amazon.co.uk (non region A and/or Region Free) titles listed in that storefront - the seller/store front is called 'Amazon Global Store UK'.
Just took a spin through those listings. There's some serious bargains to be had if you dig around, and their existence seems to have encouraged other U.K./overseas based Marketplace sellers to beat them on pricing, which is another bonus.

EDIT: One thing to note on their listings: "All import customs duties and taxes included at the time of purchase." This was probably mentioned more or less in larkin's post above, but the "true" shipping cost only appears once you go to the checkout page, and it's always higher than the cost they place on each listing. i.e. I had two items from them in my cart, but the $4.09 shipping for each jumped to $6.40, which effectively made both discs higher priced than their nearest competitor Rarewaves-Imports (which ships from the UK), so I went with Rarewaves.

Last edited by Brian T; 07-05-18 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 03:12 PM

There's a phenomenal '4 Blu-rays for EUR 22' promotion going on on Amazon's German site until 7/8 - 90% of the titles are from Koch Media and Explosive Media (which have many Region Free releases despite labeling as Region B)

Amazon Amazon

In the mix are Italian Spaghetti Westerns, Classic Films, Euro only releases, Steelbooks, Asian titles etc - around 389 titles at the time of this writing. Shipping from Amazon Germany to the USA entails the lowest cost from any of Amazon's Euro sites.

As is obvious, a minimum of 4 titles needs to be in the cart for promotion to apply. Additional titles from the promotion get discounted with a very nominal S/H charge - the final discount is seen on the last checkout page prior to placing the order.

For e.g, 4 titles from the promotion will cost $31.39 to ship to the USA with a S/H of EUR 3.92 averaging about $7.80 per title. I ordered 14 titles (some not from this promotion and more expensive) and the shipping was EUR 7.08 for a total of $112 averaging $8 per title shipped. If you stick to titles in this promotion, the average goes down to under $7.80 for each additional title due to very negligible additional shipping charges

My order of titles from this promotion:

Pelle The Conqueror (Region Free)
California - Digibook (Western, Region B), no US release at the time of this writing
Swashbuckler - Region B, , no US release at the time of this writing
Cromwell - Region Free
Showdown - Digibook (Western, Region B), no US release at the time of this writing
The Great Waldo Pepper - (Region B), no US release at the time of this writing
The Last Frontier - (Western, Region B), no US release at the time of this writing
The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (Billy Wilder) - Region B
The Rare Breed (James Stewart) - Western, Region Free, no US release at the time of this writing
Bend of the River (James Stewart) - Western, Region Free, no US release at the time of this writing
Night Passage (James Stewart) - Western, Region Free, no US release at the time of this writing
Breakout (Charles Bronson) - Region A/B

Many of the Region B titles have no further confirmation yet of true Region coding on Bluray.com. I am Region Free and almost always update the site with my own findings.

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 07-05-18 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Grrrrrrr.

I saw the Blu-ray.com review for Bend Of The River a week or two ago and noticed the price at the time was €7.99. That seemed a great price so I ordered that and Night Passage (which might might be a while before it gets restocked) along with Shenandoah just to leverage shipping.

Should have held off. Shenandoah isn't included, but I could have easily come up with two other titles to round out the order here.

I'm going to be paying just as much , if not more, for the three discs as I would have for four.
Old 07-05-18, 04:34 PM

Am a big western fan and many of those titles will probably never see a stateside release. Am also a completist of those Koch Media Western Digipacks and have been adding them to my collection over the years whenever I come by compelling pricing like this. Had to restrain myself from going overboard as there are many titles I need...scratch that, want.
Old 07-05-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wish I could read German (I'm not just being sarcastic; I LOVE classic German film & there are titles that don't come with English subs).
Old 07-05-18, 07:08 PM

Made an error in my post above for the Amazon Germany 'Four for EUR 22' sale - the sale is valid until 7/8, not 8/8 as posted earlier. Have corrected the post.
Old 07-07-18, 09:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
There's a phenomenal '4 Blu-rays for EUR 22' promotion going on on Amazon's German site until 7/8 - 90% of the titles are from Koch Media and Explosive Media (which have many Region Free releases despite labeling as Region B)

https://www.amazon.de/gp/promotion/A...d_i=B071HTSW3T

In the mix are Italian Spaghetti Westerns, Classic Films, Euro only releases, Steelbooks, Asian titles etc - around 389 titles at the time of this writing. Shipping from Amazon Germany to the USA entails the lowest cost from any of Amazon's Euro sites.

As is obvious, a minimum of 4 titles needs to be in the cart for promotion to apply. Additional titles from the promotion get discounted with a very nominal S/H charge - the final discount is seen on the last checkout page prior to placing the order.

For e.g, 4 titles from the promotion will cost $31.39 to ship to the USA with a S/H of EUR 3.92 averaging about $7.80 per title. I ordered 14 titles (some not from this promotion and more expensive) and the shipping was EUR 7.08 for a total of $112 averaging $8 per title shipped. If you stick to titles in this promotion, the average goes down to under $7.80 for each additional title due to very negligible additional shipping charges

My order of titles from this promotion:

Pelle The Conqueror (Region Free)
California - Digibook (Western, Region B), no US release at the time of this writing
Swashbuckler - Region B, , no US release at the time of this writing
Cromwell - Region Free
Showdown - Digibook (Western, Region B), no US release at the time of this writing
The Great Waldo Pepper - (Region B), no US release at the time of this writing
The Last Frontier - (Western, Region B), no US release at the time of this writing
The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (Billy Wilder) - Region B
The Rare Breed (James Stewart) - Western, Region Free, no US release at the time of this writing
Bend of the River (James Stewart) - Western, Region Free, no US release at the time of this writing
Night Passage (James Stewart) - Western, Region Free, no US release at the time of this writing
Breakout (Charles Bronson) - Region A/B

Many of the Region B titles have no further confirmation yet of true Region coding on Bluray.com. I am Region Free and almost always update the site with my own findings.
Thanks. Placed my first Amazon.de order as a result of your post-eight items from the sale plus the 36th Chamber of Shaolin trilogy.

I've ordered from Amazon.uk and Amazon.ca, but this is my first order from Amazon in a country where English is not an official language.
Old 07-07-18, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know there's an English entry point for Amazon Japan, is there one for Germany?
Old 07-07-18, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ororama
Thanks. Placed my first Amazon.de order as a result of your post-eight items from the sale plus the 36th Chamber of Shaolin trilogy.

I've ordered from Amazon.uk and Amazon.ca, but this is my first order from Amazon in a country where English is not an official language.
Amazon Germany has some customer service employees fluent in English if something goes wrong, which isn't surprising. A sizable portion of the German population have working knowledge of English.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.