Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-17, 07:01 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
re: Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays

Originally Posted by Proglodite
Network UK is having a summer sale - mostly Region B, but some releases are region free:
Great prices on The Prisoner and The Professionals...and tons of UK films. [Must be careful - too many items triggers a very heft shipping charge] --Peter

http://networkonair.com/137-BLU-RAY?page=1
thanks. just put in a big order. broke it up to avoid that insane hefty shipping charge. Got the prisoner in BD for $25 USD... not bad - especially compared to the US version price...got lots of UK films that sound interesting.
Old 06-18-17, 03:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
How is this label's quality?
Excellent. They aren't a restore-at-all-costs label like Criterion or Cohen, but take on substantial projects like their Prisoner set and their Till Death Us Do Part set from last year, etc. You might compare them to Image. I have over a dozen DVD's from their "British Film" series and the transfers are excellent, save two where proper source material was lacking (Door With Seven Locks and The Terrornauts), as they apparently aren't in a position to raid BFI.

One other comment re: Network: I placed a test order (didn't complete). They charge VAT to the USA. Not good, & possibly illegal.
Actually, they don't. Network revised their web site a couple weeks ago and are using IP addresses to automatically sense if a visitor is inside the EU. Yes, the checkout line items aren't entirely clear. But visit their site via a European proxy and I believe you'll see all their prices jump by, err, 15% ?
Old 06-18-17, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
Excellent. They aren't a restore-at-all-costs label like Criterion or Cohen, but take on substantial projects like their Prisoner set and their Till Death Us Do Part set from last year, etc. You might compare them to Image. I have over a dozen DVD's from their "British Film" series and the transfers are excellent, save two where proper source material was lacking (Door With Seven Locks and The Terrornauts), as they apparently aren't in a position to raid BFI.

Actually, they don't. Network revised their web site a couple weeks ago and are using IP addresses to automatically sense if a visitor is inside the EU. Yes, the checkout line items aren't entirely clear. But visit their site via a European proxy and I believe you'll see all their prices jump by, err, 15% ?
Hm......... it said "including VAT"? I am using a VPN, but it's set to be US based. I could try with the VPN turned off.
Old 06-18-17, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by thetao
Do the 1 pound dvd's tend to be high quality also?
Old 06-18-17, 08:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone have the Network version of Legend of the Lone Ranger? The Shout blu-ray has poor marks for picture quality, and no special features...Network does have some special features, but I can't find any reviews online on how PQ compares. --Peter
Old 06-18-17, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've got a $50 or so order sitting in my cart (9 seems to be the magic # for shipping, btw); debating on whether I can afford to pull the trigger.
Old 06-18-17, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bit on the Network. Decided to hold off on the under 2 pound dvd's. Theoretically came to 47.33 USD + unknown Visa fees

Ghoul (The) [BLU-RAY]
£4.21

Hit & Miss [BLU-RAY]
£3.70

Rome Express [BLU-RAY]
£4.21

Unearthly Stranger [BLU-RAY]
£4.21

DVD's:

Man Who Could Work Miracles (The)
£3.27

Rat (The)
£3.20

So Little Time
£3.20

Times Square
£3.20

Anyone familiar with Network's avg delivery time to the USA West Coast?
Old 06-19-17, 12:39 AM

I suspect the < £2 DVD's are just old stock they're trying to liquidate.

The details pages for many films will list "brand-new transfer from the original film elements", etc. Network's movie Blu-Rays and DVD's are often no frills (although 1 out of 3 tends to include a PDF of the script), but the transfers are top-notch.

I made two orders (9 disks each) for mostly £3 and £4 films, also filling-in some gaps in my Britcom collection, and could have made a third. It's been over a year since Network's last sale, and this is my very favorite of this month's batch. Can't wait to finally see some Tommy Cooper, lol.

One downside to their operation (besides the temperamental site) is that they can ship slowly...even to UK customers. But their orders aren't fulfilled in-house but by Sony, so that's somewhat out of their control.
Old 06-19-17, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Should I expect a month or so? Or.................

Most of the under £2 DVD's have cheap looking cover art also. I was specifically interested in 1 Peter Lorre/Hitchcock & 2 Bela Lugosi's (all 3 are pd) if they're an upgrade over what I have
Old 06-20-17, 03:12 AM

I don't have lots of experience with their shipping but UK customers talk about receiving packages anywhere from a day to 2 weeks after the shipping notice. That's bad considering the UK is the size of Pennsylvania, but "erratic" shipping is probably a better word than "slow". I'm expecting 3 weeks for the east coast, and 3-4 might be more realistic for you.

If one of your Lugosis is "Scared to Death", I recently bought that from Amazon UK for £2.49 before the Network sale and can post my thoughts when it arrives.
Old 06-20-17, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, that & Corpse Vanishes. I have the Roan & the Legend of CB, It looks like I have 3 Scared To Deaths: The best being a laser disc to dvd transfer, also a TCM analog cap & a crummy Genius (AMC branded).
Old 06-21-17, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Order shipped today. 3 days is quite acceptable. With Royal Mail, 2 week deivery wouldn't surprise me; though I'll give it a month.
Old 06-22-17, 01:49 AM

I got shipping notices for my two orders this morning. Let's see how well they do.

Your "Scared to Death" laserdisk is from Lumivision, I presume? I have the Lumivision DVD, which should be the same master, but they used poor compression and the image goes blocky during each dissolves to the lady on the morgue slab. Barring some nice work from Network (which will still be PAL), the laserdisk may just be the best around.
Old 06-23-17, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got it from a friend years ago. I'd have to check. If it is, I'm a little surprised. For years, the Lumivision/Eastman version of Lost World was the version to have for picture quality (though it was one of the shorter ones). I found the Image to be significantly worse & the Fox to be not quite as good, though both were much longer. I'm ASSUMING (lol) the Flicker Alley will be an upgrade.

I'll check my Scared To Death, & be curious to hear what you think of yours. I'm a pathetic Lugosi collector; that's not one of his best films; but I MUST have the best print available!
Old 07-03-17, 09:05 PM

My Network orders arrived on Saturday, and I collected them from the post office today. That's less than two weeks in transit, and astonishingly they shipped Royal Mail with signature required! Network's shipping cost is several pounds less than Amazon, which uses a budget shipper and charges extra for perks like a signature. I hadn't realized before, but Amazon really could be doing better if they wanted.

My Amazon order with Scared to Death arrived earlier in the week, but I haven't gotten to watch anything yet. I did get so far as to note that both the Network and Bach Film versions come from an "analog source"...which means the laserdisk. The original Lumivision DVD does not (of course), but has half the size/bitrate.
Old 07-03-17, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like I need to go to the post office soon, as mine is going to my po box also.
Old 07-04-17, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Rarovideo 50% off sale. Use code FOURTH at checkout. Stumbled across this a bit late, but it's still good until the end of the day, I think (July 4).

https://www.rarovideousa.com/films
Old 07-04-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

15% off everything except preorders at Flicker Alley, July 4 2017, only.
Code: FREEDOM.
Old 07-05-17, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they'd done the 15% + free ship & included Lost World I likely would have bit. $30 + ship is just too much for something I already have 3 restored copies of even though this is obviously an upgrade.
Old 07-05-17, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Zavvi currently has a 2 for £15 sale going on - several steelbooks and some BFI/Eureka titles included amongst several crap titles. S/H is a flat £0.99 to the USA. No idea of sale expiry.

I got BFI's 'L'Age d'Or' and Odeon's release of 'Isadora' - both Region Free for $21.xx shipped to SoCal. Check out user reviews in addition to Bluray.com for region coding (several 'B' coded/specified discs are Region Free indeed, 'Isadora' being one)

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/offers...dget_id=648929

Keep the currency as '£' instead of '$' for better pricing. PayPal is accepted with an additional 1% surcharge. Been ordering from them for a few years now with no issues. Most titles are individually shipped for some reason
Old 07-05-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks! Wish their was a way to sort by label (BFI only).
Old 07-06-17, 12:07 AM

Thanks! Wish their was a way to sort by label (BFI only).
Agree, their filters are pretty useless. These are the BFI titles on sale:

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/lage-d.../10386916.html
https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/expres.../11244697.html
https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/belly-.../10593280.html
https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/play-o.../11254116.html
https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-ca.../10567197.html
https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/cream-.../10885966.html
https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/tess-d.../10652659.html
https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/a-fare.../10957198.html

and contrary to my earlier post, there are no Eureka titles on sale, sorry for the misinformation
Old 07-06-17, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thank you!
Old 07-06-17, 07:07 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A number of BFI's are on sale at AmazonUK - I picked up

Epic of Everest/Great White Silence combo
Paris Blues
Odds Against Tomorrow
Psychomania

Came to just under $50 with shipping.

Peter
Old 07-06-17, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Proglodite
A number of BFI's are on sale at AmazonUK - I picked up

Epic of Everest/Great White Silence combo
Paris Blues
Odds Against Tomorrow
Psychomania

Came to just under $50 with shipping.

Peter
Select 'United Kingdom' in the searchbox at the top. Then click the link below

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...0&sortby=price

Navigate through pages and click through for price

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.