Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-20, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 615 Likes on 453 Posts
re: Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays

I believe they've sold out of certain sale-only boxed sets and things in the past, but nothing in this new batch seems likely. Hopefully their new site holds up. I recall huge problems with the last sale and having to email in orders.
Old 11-26-20, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

It took 30
mins, but the site is up now.
Old 11-26-20, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
With Severin is there any good reason to buy right at launch for these? Limited/sellout risk? Curious as to opinions as I don't follow them very closely anymore and usually only participate in their Black Friday sales.
Some titles will only be available through the BF sale. They did this last year with Blood On Satan's Claw, which became unavailable the day after the BF sale ended. Then, during a subsequent sale earlier this year, they made a few more copies available again- though once that sale was over, they were gone again.
Old 11-26-20, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Severin's 'Clear Out' section has some VERY decent deals on DVDs for $3.00 and Blus for $5.00. Some really decent deals in there. I assume some of this stuff is going OOP. Definitely has me thinking harder about which other titles might be worth holding off on.

https://severin-films.com/?s=Clear+Out

Last edited by Brian T; 11-27-20 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-27-20, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Severin's 'Clear Out' section has some VERY decent deals on DVDs for $3.00 and Blus for $5.00. Some really decent deals in there. I assume some of this stuff is going OOP. Definitely has me thinking harder about which other titles might be worth holding off on.

$13.50 (more than 30% of disc costs) for shipping 6 discs ???
Old 11-27-20, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Some titles will only be available through the BF sale. They did this last year with Blood On Satan's Claw, which became unavailable the day after the BF sale ended. Then, during a subsequent sale earlier this year, they made a few more copies available again- though once that sale was over, they were gone again.
I saw they mentioned the audio book was pretty limited so I picked that up + a bunch of other things I really didn't need.

Speaking of which I was so close to buying that Viewmaster from VS, but $40 just seemed like way too much.
Old 11-27-20, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
$13.50 (more than 30% of disc costs) for shipping 6 discs ???
They do that to try to tempt you to up your cart to the free shipping threshold. Worked on me this year.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (11-27-20)
Old 11-27-20, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Same here. Only problem is their shipping to Canada for my $100+ order is a ludicrous $105, especially considering that shipping was free during the last sale. There IS a "add to my existing order for $1.00" option that seems to work even though I don't actually have an existing order, but I suspect they'd just charge me the full amount anyway. A similarly priced order with Vinegar Syndrome costs TEN BUCKS to ship to Canada. I'll probably just ship it to one of my U.S. addresses for free and wait until the border opens up again.
Old 11-27-20, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Are they USA based, or UK? If UK, this shipping is what we're soon going to be getting to the USA from all of the retailer's, unless the new postmaster rescinds some "rules" in January. If USA, their shipping is truly a rip off.
Old 11-27-20, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Severin is in the U.S.

At the moment, my order is 24 discs, $122

Shipping to Canada: $105
Shipping to the U.S.: $45
Media Mail shipping to the U.S.: Free (this appears to activate only on orders over $100)

Seems to be quite a rip for anyone ordering less than $100, especially compared to shipping rates during the previous sale. It's crazy that Vinegar Syndrome can offer considerably better flat rates: ($5.00 Domestic Economy; $10 Domestic Priority; $10 Canada; $17 rest of the world).

Oh well, Media Mail it is, I guess.

EDIT TO ADD: At Vinegar Syndrome's checkout, a notice pops up stating "Ships in a sturdy box from within Canada (no customs)." My guess is they've contracted with Unobstructed View up here for their sales, which is kinda handy. Now if only Severin would do the same thing.

Last edited by Brian T; 11-27-20 at 03:20 AM.
Old 11-27-20, 03:16 PM
Cool New Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

from Vinegar I ordered:

Hard Soap, Hard Soap / Disco Lady
Decoder
9 Lives of a Wet Pussy
Lucifer's Women / Doctor Dracula
Liquid Sky
Justine
Red Roses of Passion

from Film Movement I ordered:

All the Sins of Sodom / Vibrations

and the Film Movement order is the same director as Red Roses of Passion. I want to encounter these erotic melodramas by Joseph W. Sarno

this year I'm hoping to expand by perspective about erotica. just because I haven't yet. the normal film nerd bit in this is 9 Lives of a Wet Pussy is the first movie from Abel Ferrara / Nicholas St. John
Old 11-27-20, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T

Yeah, the Kung-Fu Trailers of Fury Blus are $5 each. That's a steal, even with shipping. I think I paid $20 each for them a couple years back.

I ordered Blood Games from VS, I'll throw in a few more over the weekend (LOVE the "add to my existing order" option. Hate it, too). I'm not getting any smut though, in case they do another Valentine's weekend sale like this past year, 50% off just the adult titles. I'll spend all my budgeted money this go-around on horror and exploitation, then go with the snuggle films in February.
Old 11-28-20, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Arrow's Christmas sale is happening right now. Arrow has a mix of region B, AB, and region-free titles.
Old 11-28-20, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Forgot to mention Scream Teams BF sale:

They also have $9 DVDs

https://screamteamreleasing.com/coll...ck-friday-2020
Old 11-29-20, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My final Vinegar Syndrome haul:

Blood Games (w/slip)
The Caller (w/slip)
The Human Tornado
Patty Hearst
Blue Money
Malibu High (slip only)

Felt a little silly buying a piece of paper for $8, but Malibu High is easily one of my favorite all-time releases from VS, and the cover (which came from the original theatrical artwork, so this is not VS's fault) was just terrible. Made it look like a jaunty teen sex comedy, when it's actually a really dark tale of teen-age prostitution and murder.

I took it easy this weekend, since I bought 21 titles back at the Halfway to Black Friday sale in May. I like to wait and see which VS movies are hidden gems, then buy them at the next sale rather than pre-order.

Hopefully they'll do another Valentine's weekend sale of X titles next year, and I'll pick up some of those.
Old 11-29-20, 04:07 PM
Cool New Member

it is hard to know the ones to buy. I added to my order:

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song
Prey

because Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song is about to be sold out, and Prey was my attempt at ordering a normal movie although, you know, Vinegar doesn't quite have normal movies
Old 11-29-20, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

...and I'm not sure I'd consider Prey a "normal" movie!

It's quite strange, a bit slow and talky in the middle, but with a wild and violent ending, and a boffo sex scene with Glory Annen and her girlfriend. Glory Annen was the lead in the Aussie soft core classic Felicity, a staple of Showtime late night viewing for me as a teenager.
Old 11-29-20, 04:54 PM
Cool New Member

Samm Deighan put the movie in my mind, on her JustTheDiscs podcast appearance. she mentioned other movies I own, such as The Telephone Book, Petey Wheatsraw, and Corruption, so we seemed to be relating, and she was positive about hardcore movies, she spoke of them as movies, which I appreciated.

yeah I'd appreciate your own list of favorites, and anyone else who has taken risks at Vinegar Syndrome

oh I'll mention one: In the Cold of the Night I recommend. it has a sex scene with marbles so that is head scratching, but otherwise I think's really well put together and has a lot going on

Last edited by Thants; 11-29-20 at 04:56 PM. Reason: I'm adding to it
Old 11-29-20, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thants
yeah I'd appreciate your own list of favorites, and anyone else who has taken risks at Vinegar Syndrome
Sure! My VS "number" (based on their checklist, a nice feature) is 56. I don't much go for cheese, the "so bad it's good" movie, so I don't like Troma fare, USA Up All Night, that kind of thing. I generally like my horror movies to be taken seriously. I also don't go for the 80s war films, and I know VS has gone down that route many times recently and I couldn't be less interested. That all said, some of my favorites from the label are:

Deadline (seriously, I can't recommend that movie enough)
Malibu High
Sudden Fury
Prey
Terror
Snapshot
Pigs
Sugar Cookies (even though it is a Lloyd Kaufman show)
Raw Force (the exception to my rule about cheesy 80s war films)
The Corruption of Chris Miller

For adult titles, I enjoyed:
Sex World
Her Name Was Lisa
Blue Ice
Dracula Sucks
Baby Rosemary
Ribald Tales of Canterbury
The following users liked this post:
Thants (11-29-20)
Old 11-30-20, 04:49 AM

on
Some favorites that I’ve picked up:
Blood Games
Berserker
Savage Dawn
Tammy and the T Rex
Rad

Some not so good :
Blood Harvest
Hellbenders

On this sale:
La Wars
Raw Force
Spookies
Blood Hook
Pledge Night
Splatter University
Psycho Cop Returns
Nightbeast
Old 11-30-20, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Oof. Blood Hook. Hope you enjoy it more than I did. A fishing-themed slasher that runs nearly 2 hours.

I bought it mostly due to the director, Jim Mallon of Mystery Science Theater 3000 (and I also noticed Kevin "Tom Servo" Murphy's name in the credits), but it was just dull and ran on wayyyyyy too long. I understand this is the only "complete" version of the film, all previous releases were about 20 minutes shorter, and this is one time the director should allow all the cuts.
Old 11-30-20, 05:17 PM
Cool New Member

When LA Wars went OOS was when I wanted it
Old 12-01-20, 12:18 AM
Cool New Member

I ended up last-minute purchasing Snapshot because its inventory number was reaching zero
Old 12-01-20, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Paff
^ Oof. Blood Hook. Hope you enjoy it more than I did. A fishing-themed slasher that runs nearly 2 hours.

I bought it mostly due to the director, Jim Mallon of Mystery Science Theater 3000 (and I also noticed Kevin "Tom Servo" Murphy's name in the credits), but it was just dull and ran on wayyyyyy too long. I understand this is the only "complete" version of the film, all previous releases were about 20 minutes shorter, and this is one time the director should allow all the cuts.
I’ll admit when I saw the runtime I was extremely apprehensive. After viewing the trailer I decided to give it a try. I was laughing my ass off the whole time. Plus being from Wisconsin and having been subjected to fishing my whole childhood, I’m hoping for mass fishermen violence.
Old 12-01-20, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up last-minute purchasing Snapshot because its inventory number was reaching zero
Rookie mistake. It's how I ended up buying the tepid Psychos in Love; the inventory was plummeting, I had no idea they'd be reprinting it and there would be tons of copies available next time around. Lesson learned. If a VS release is a one-off, they'll tell you. I believe Red Roses of Passion is one, and I see you picked that up, so good on you.

That said, Snapshot is a great release and you'll be glad you got it even though it will be reprinted. It's a bit more subtle than a lot of the more popular titles from the label, that's why it doesn't get listed in a lot of people's top 10s. Minimal sex, violence, and action (man, I feel bad for the people duped into seeing it when it was titled "The Day After Halloween" in the US and thought it was a Halloween sequel), but a really interesting story. Lovely lead actress in Sigrid Thornton, too. And the transfer is amazing, with really vivid colors and detail.

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I’ll admit when I saw the runtime I was extremely apprehensive. After viewing the trailer I decided to give it a try. I was laughing my ass off the whole time. Plus being from Wisconsin and having been subjected to fishing my whole childhood, I’m hoping for mass fishermen violence.
I think it was filmed in Wisconsin, so it may very well be right up your alley. Literally.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.