Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays

Old 11-04-23, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Does anyone know of a better price (including USA shipping) for Eureka's MOC "Pandora's Box" than the one on their website? Right now the exchange rate sucks for American's & we're still dealing with the last USA administration's forced increased incoming shipping rates.
I really hope this is a major upgrade from the Criterion DVD. I watched that last night & realized I'm going to be keeping it due to the exclusive extras, mainly a long interview with Brooks.
Old 11-04-23, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
The tricky thing with 88 martial arts titles now is figuring out what's been reissued in better versions by them, and possibly in Region 1 as well (or maybe only in region 1?). I bought a lot of those HK titles back when they were the only option. Then they started repeating some of them in R1, and I believe they upgraded a bunch of the older Jackie Chan titles with better scans or something. Kind of annoying. Overall, though, there are some goodies in their catalog.
Isn't that also the issue with some of their non-martial arts titles? I'm pretty sure some of those horror movies have been upgraded by other companies.
Old 11-04-23, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 705 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Isn't that also the issue with some of their non-martial arts titles? I'm pretty sure some of those horror movies have been upgraded by other companies.
A lot of the stuff in their catalog has been released by other labels in North America, so itís really a matter of whether buyers are ok with Region B. Otherwise, itís probably a matter of comparing supplements (for those who care about them) and price. Iím sure these sale prices, even after exchange rates and shipping, are comparable or even favourable to sales from VS, Severin, etc. And if region coding isnít a worry, go for it.

My point about the Martial Arts titles was just that 88 themselves actually upgraded some of them (a selection of Chan titles for sure; not sure beyond that) after putting out earlier versions in Region B only. Iím not sure if those upgraded Chans were released as Region A + B, though, as some of them may indeed be with other labels over here. Maybe others can clarify if their Region B titles and Region A titles are mutually exclusive, with no cross-pollination, so to speak. I remember being a bit peeved when they announced they were branching into the US . . . after Iíd loaded up on their UK titles. Iím region free, but still kinda prefer North American releases if they exist.
Old 11-04-23, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts

I believe some of the horror titles have been released with improved picture quality by other labels. I don't think it's always just a region B difference.
Old 11-04-23, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
I believe some of the horror titles have been released with improved picture quality by other labels. I don't think it's always just a region B difference.
Definitely. In fact, that's one of the reasons I avoided most 88 Films releases over the years. The American versions were usually superior, so finding anything in this sale was really a no-go for me. My only mistake (sort of) was buying so many of their martial arts titles when it seemed like they were the only ones who gave a shit about them. Now I'm double-dipping with the generally-better US versions more than I care to admit.
Old 11-05-23, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,094 Likes on 763 Posts

I don't think it's a given that the region 1 versions of 88 martial arts titles are superior. I guess it depends on your priorities, but for example, the Shout Jackie Chan titles are definitely not superior to their 88 counterparts. Vinegar Syndrome is kind of hit or miss with the ones they've put out. The only 88 title I can think of that is definitively outclassed by the region 1 version is 8 Diagram Pole Fighter.
​​​​​
Old 11-05-23, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do need to correct something from my previous post. I checked my stacks of 88 titles and it turns out I hardly avoided their martial arts titles at all over the past few years. There are a few recent releases that I’ve held off on because I wasn’t sure if US versions were forthcoming, from them. If they come out from different labels, then I’ll probably end up with both. Sigh.

The stuff I don’t bother much with from 88 is usually in their other collections, like the Italian or Slasher Classics stuff. I tend to compare those less to their US counterparts, and just go with the latter. Still, I keep skimming the 88 sale listings, so one never knows.

In the case of the Chan films (and Sammo, Yuen, Michelle, etc), I tend to agree that the UK discs are somewhat better (including Eureka’s), because I bought virtually all of them (especially back when there were no US counterparts, yet). Later I also bought Shout’s second Chan set, and will (probably) get their first volume, plus that Criterion set of his oldies in future sales. So I’m pretty sure where my priorities lie, even if I don’t love myself for double dipping so much.

in fairness, though, I’ve been going through many of the extras in Shout’s second Chan set, and there are some very worthwhile pieces throughout, new and archival, so I do find myself waffling a bit between the continents in terms of overall value. I haven’t listened to the commentaries yet, so I’m not sure how those guys stack up against Frank Djeng and the other two regulars.

Additionally, I do think VS’s edition of RIGHTING WRONGS is better than 88’s edition, by a smidge, but they balance each other out in different ways. So both are on the shelf. VS has the martial arts doc (which 88 put on their upcoming Angela Mao edition, though I haven’t heard if they upgraded it), while 88 has that ‘ultimate cut’ of the film (which is kind by of the reason I prefer the VS edition, as that kind of tinkering is unnecessary). I think VS wins on BURNING PARADISE as well, but Eureka has an exclusive commentary, so both of those are on the shelf, too. Vinegar’s EBOLA SYNDROME definitely trumps the 88’s, at least in terms of extras, so I’m fine with that one by itself. Although, 88’s does have the original poster art on the reverse sleeve, so . . .

As you say, it all comes down to priorities, and mine run to both sides of the pond, which adds up.

Weirdly enough, my post that touched off this sideline discussion actually had nothing to do with 88 UK versus other US labels, and everything to with 88 UK versus 88 US, and whether they might have released titles in both regions. In retrospect now, I’m not so sure that they have. Seems like most of their UK titles are on other labels over here, so far.

The tricky thing with 88 martial arts titles now is figuring out what's been reissued in better versions by them, and possibly in Region 1 as well (or maybe only in region 1?). I bought a lot of those HK titles back when they were the only option. Then they started repeating some of them in R1, and I believe they upgraded a bunch of the older Jackie Chan titles with better scans or something. Kind of annoying. Overall, though, there are some goodies in their catalog.

Last edited by Brian T; 11-30-23 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-06-23, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,094 Likes on 763 Posts

Weirdly enough, my post that touched off this sideline discussion actually had nothing to do with 88 UK versus other US labels, and everything to with 88 UK versus 88 US, and whether they might have released titles in both regions. In retrospect now, Iím not so sure that they have. Seems like most of their UK titles are on other labels over here, so far.
Yeah, 88 has not upgraded any UK titles in the US except Dragons Forever going from BD -> UHD, but even then the UHD was released in both territories. That's why I misunderstood your post to be about region 1 releases from other labels.

And the only other martial arts titles they've upgraded in the UK (that I can think of) are Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin and Battle Creek Brawl. To Kill With Intrigue and Dragon Fist are surely coming as well, but I'm not sure if they've actually been announced.
Old 11-06-23, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've discovered my Oppo 95 doesn't handshake with Shout's/Scream's copyguards. Oh well, Shout's lost a few sales. COPYGUARDS ARE SO STOOPID, any pirate worth their salt can crack them; but for those with a stand alone player they make it impossible to play some discs, & the only way to get the film is to download a cracked copy. Really great business model.............

I don't think dvd's would still be in existence if it wasn't for all the inconveniences caused by blu-ray copyguards.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 11-10-23 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-08-23, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Grindhouse Video started their 'Black November' sale, until Nov. 30. Many of these titles are also in their 'Buy 2 Get 1 Free' promotion, so there might be some decent savings on the right combos of stuff. I've had three of their B2G1 $9.99 titles in my cart (along with one box set which isn't in either deal), and now all three are $7.99 and still qualify for B2G1. The only trade-off is you need $100 for free shipping, but I think their flat-rate is only $5.
https://grindhousevideo.com/collecti...-november-sale
The following 2 users liked this post by Brian T:
Adam Tyner (11-08-23), laidbacklarkin (11-09-23)
Old 11-08-23, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 766 Posts

I got all my discs from the Ronin sale, as I'm sure you all did too. I know there will be some that I feel are a waste of five bucks, but I gotta say they all look like a lot of fun. Even the biker flicks. I just hope they're better than The Sidehackers and Wild Rebels.
Old 11-09-23, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paff
I got all my discs from the Ronin sale, as I'm sure you all did too. I know there will be some that I feel are a waste of five bucks, but I gotta say they all look like a lot of fun. Even the biker flicks. I just hope they're better than The Sidehackers and Wild Rebels.
Products of a different era for sure. If you start with RECORD CITY, you might find yourself much more forgiving of any soft spots in the others. Then again, watching RECORD CITY last might have the same effect!

Last edited by Brian T; 11-30-23 at 12:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
laidbacklarkin (11-09-23)
Old 11-09-23, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Grindhouse Video started their 'Black November' sale, until Nov. 30. Many of these titles are also in their 'Buy 2 Get 1 Free' promotion, so there might be some decent savings on the right combos of stuff. I've had three of their B2G1 $9.99 titles in my cart (along with one box set which isn't in either deal), and now all three are $7.99 and still qualify for B2G1. The only trade-off is you need $100 for free shipping, but I think their flat-rate is only $5.
https://grindhousevideo.com/collecti...-november-sale
any way it can be filtered for BDs and UHDs ?
Old 11-09-23, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
any way it can be filtered for BDs and UHDs ?
Don't think so. There's a 'format' tab on the main bar, but then you'd have to scroll through everything in that format to find the right sale stuff.

EDIT: Probably also worth noting that many (though not quite all) of the Code Red / Scorpion Blu-rays are now $14.99 (down from $19.99), so $10 each if you buy three. No comparison to the recent $5 sale at Ronin Flix, but that sale only had a portion of what remained of the catalog. Many of these are OOP or going-OOP, and I recall reading somewhere that Grindhouse has the final supply of them. Also keep in mind that some Scorpion titles are now with Kino Lorber, and frequently turn up cheaper in their sales.

Last edited by Brian T; 11-09-23 at 05:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brian T:
DiggityDawg (11-09-23), laidbacklarkin (11-10-23)
Old 11-09-23, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 766 Posts

Products of a different era for sure. If you start with RECORD CITY, you might find yourself much more forgiving of any soft spots in the others. Then again, watching RECORD CITY last might have the same effect!
His name isn't in the credits (although it is an American International release), but you just know some people involved in making this movie got checks signed by Roger Corman
Old 11-10-23, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote is broken at the moment...........

" LaidbackLarkin: Wow, Eureka already shipped my yesterdays order of Pandoras Box"

Mine arrived today, in perfect condition. I'm impressed! Actually, as a generalization, since I can play multi region discs, I tend to prefer Eureka to Criterion. It was stronger before the across the board price increases to cover increased postage.
The following users liked this post:
laidbacklarkin (11-10-23)
Old 11-14-23, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Grindhouse Black November Part 2, with a lot of added titles:

THE BLACK NOVEMBER SALE (PART 2) IS LIVE!
This month we celebrate our 9th Anniversary with our annual Black November Sale. This year we've marked down hundreds of titles. Most of these are also still a part of the BUY 2 GET 1 FREE Sale! Save up to $15 off select titles.

Plus, today we launch part 2 of the sale. Save up to 60% off MSRP on over 1400 new titles added from Arrow, Severin, Synapse, Unearthed, Radiance, 88 Films, Wild Eye, Visual Vengeance, Impulse, Intervision and Arrow Academy!

Part 2 of the sale goes through 11/28.
​​​​​​​https://grindhousevideo.com/collecti...-november-sale
Old 11-14-23, 08:35 PM

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Iíve ordered code red/scorpion titles 3 times now from grindhouse and I may look again with the added discounts. Thereís some great deals in there. I got Record City for $5 during the Ronin sale and itís not that bad. Itís not that great either, but I love the music man!
Old 11-14-23, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Captsmee.00
I got Record City for $5 during the Ronin sale and it’s not that bad. It’s not that great either, but I love the music man!
Aha - a convert!

Totally agree on the soundtrack. It was only released on vinyl, and I doubt many people bought it (or saw the movie), but it has some cool tracks, most of which are near impossible to find online. The LP is often pretty cheap on eBay, but it would be cool if someone would've uploaded the tracks to YouTube, for example.

EDIT: For further reading, RECORD CITY's producer was an interesting guy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_T._Aubrey

Last edited by Brian T; 11-14-23 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-15-23, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ClassicFlix Winter Blowout Sale, with $4.99 flat shipping:
https://www.classicflix.com/products...al_offer_id=90
Old 11-15-23, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cauldron Films sale starting Friday.

Holiday sale (11/17 - 12/08) and new merch dropIn addition to the remainders being available on November 17th, we are also launching some new merch and a holiday sale on all in stock items (sale runs from 11/17 - 12/08 - only at cauldron-films.comó **wave 8 and 9 titles will not be part of the discounted sale pricing**). There will be some deep discounts on limited and retail editions, many of which have low quantities left. Stay tuned this Friday for more details.

The Cauldron Films website will close this evening and then re-open on Friday November 17th at 3pm EST.
Old 11-17-23, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Boy, Cauldronís idea of a Ďsaleí needs a rethink! Most of the pricing on their more recent editions are higher than they were when they were first released! The only deals I can see is the standard edition of AMERICAN RICKSHAW at $14.00, which was $14.99 in previous sales. The standard version of CRIMES OF THE BLACK CAT was likewise $14.99 on sale previously, now itís Ďreducedí to $19.00. Weird.
Old 11-17-23, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Aww I was looking forward to that one. Oh well.
Old 11-17-23, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Boy, Cauldronís idea of a Ďsaleí needs a rethink!
That's for sure!
Old 11-18-23, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Details on Severinís Black Friday sale. Iím most intrigued about the box set sale, as they havenít done that in quite a while, and of course I just bought the Black Emanuelle set in the Grindhouse sale and (after waiting forever for any kind of reduction on it) the Ray Dennis Steckler box from Oldies. So while the prices I paid were ok for those, I fully expect them to drop even lower at Severin just to rub it in.

SEVERIN FILMSí BLACK FRIDAY SALE UNLEASHES

9 NEW RELEASES, INCLUDING 3 SOAVI UHD PREMIERES

Weekend Event Also Includes Exclusive Bundles, New Merch,

24-Hour Boxset Sale, 50% Off SRP On Most Library Titles & More

Severin Films today announced details of their upcoming Black Friday Sale spotlighting the Worldwide 4K Premieres of Michele Soaviís CEMETERY MAN, THE CHURCH, and THE SECT. The weekend webstore event also features the Worldwide UHD Premiere of Gianfranco Giagniís long-elusive SPIDER LABYRINTH; the North American home video premiere of Giuliano Montaldoís CLOSED CIRCUIT; the Worldwide HD Premiere of Barry Mahonís 1960 zombie thriller THE DEAD ONE; the Ultimate Presentation of Sam ShermaníS RAIDERS OF THE LIVING DEAD; the Worldwide HD Premiere of Buddy Giovinazzoís UNSCARRED; and the North American Disc Premiere of Stephen Wallaceís Australian prison classic STIR, all with extensive Special Features. The Severin webstore will also be offering exclusive Bundles (including a 28-item MegaBundle), all-new Severin merch, a Saturday-only boxset sale, and 50% off most Severin/Intervision library titles. The sale will take place from 12:01am EST on 11/24 to 11:59pm PST on 11/27 at www.SeverinFilms.com.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.