Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays

Old 10-31-23, 09:39 AM

Received 4,809 Likes on 3,254 Posts
Re: Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays

Some good deals here at $5 disc if you buy 5 or more.

https://roninflix.com/collections/sale

The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
DiggityDawg (10-31-23), laidbacklarkin (11-06-23), Paff (10-31-23)
Old 10-31-23, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 766 Posts

Yeah, five bucks each is a good deal. I looked at the site and really only wanted Haunt and Rollerball, but it seemed a shame not to bump it up to 5 titles to get the extra discount. Two movies for $20 or five for $25, I know which one I'm doing.

Only $5 shipping too, a steal in this day and age. Can't even get a taco for less than $5 nowadays.
Old 10-31-23, 05:28 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, I'll take a flyer on anything for 5 bucks ( or 6 w/shipping ). I found a couple things I legit wanted, & then a couple flyers.

Iron Warrior
The Beast with 1,000,000 Eyes
Robot Holocaust
Voyage into Space
Opera
Old 10-31-23, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 705 Likes on 519 Posts

Grabbed a bunch this morning, 20 in all. All stuff I'd bought in previous sales, no less. Figured the nice resale prices up here (
like this one for example like this one for example
, or
this one this one
, or
this one this one
) will offset what I overpaid in the past.

They've never priced such a large portion of their catalog this cheaply before, so I have to wonder if this isn't a hint that they're struggling. Their only two new/upcoming releases (THERE'S NOTHING OUT THERE and SPIRAL) aren't exactly earth-shattering, and their last two (the JET LI combos) went OOP pretty quick (presumably due to short term licenses?). They don't seem to have much else on the horizon. Might be ideal to load up on stuff you'd otherwise not bother with, just out of curiosity. There are some ok low-budget gems in the mix for five bucks (TEXAS TOWN, YOUNGBLOOD, BUCKTOWN, ANGEL UNCHAINED, etc).
Old 11-01-23, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Does anyone know of a better price (including USA shipping) for Eureka's MOC "Pandora's Box" than the one on their website? Right now the exchange rate sucks for American's & we're still dealing with the last USA administration's forced increased incoming shipping rates.
Old 11-01-23, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,001 Likes on 1,319 Posts

$31.99 (+shipping) at Orbit DVD
$32.99 (+shipping) at Diabolik DVD
$34.99 (+shipping) at Grindhouse Video
The following users liked this post:
MooMooMooMoo (11-01-23)
Old 11-01-23, 09:13 AM

With free shipping, ordering direct from Eureka is usually the best option. I do it pretty much monthly.
Old 11-01-23, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eureka is the cheapest of the 4 by at least $5.00 USD. Trump's forced incoming shipping increase (doubled from the Obama days) really makes a difference. Does Eureka charge sales tax? I have ordered from them several times before but don't remember.
Old 11-01-23, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Eureka is the cheapest of the 4 by at least $5.00 USD. Trump's forced incoming shipping increase (doubled from the Obama days) really makes a difference. Does Eureka charge sales tax? I have ordered from them several times before but don't remember.
Nope.
Old 11-01-23, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Does anyone know of a better price (including USA shipping) for Eureka's MOC "Pandora's Box" than the one on their website? Right now the exchange rate sucks for American's & we're still dealing with the last USA administration's forced increased incoming shipping rates.
Straight from Eureka with free shipping is the best option. Just ordered Pandora's Box
Old 11-01-23, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
Some good deals here at $5 disc if you buy 5 or more.

https://roninflix.com/collections/sale
Loaded up on 24 titles of shlock while pretending to be ordering from Hamilton Books 4 years ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by laidbacklarkin:
Brian T (11-09-23), DiggityDawg (11-02-23)
Old 11-01-23, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T
Grabbed a bunch this morning, 20 in all. All stuff I'd bought in previous sales, no less. Figured the nice resale prices up here (like this one for example, or this one, or this one) will offset what I overpaid in the past.

They've never priced such a large portion of their catalog this cheaply before, so I have to wonder if this isn't a hint that they're struggling. Their only two new/upcoming releases (THERE'S NOTHING OUT THERE and SPIRAL) aren't exactly earth-shattering, and their last two (the JET LI combos) went OOP pretty quick (presumably due to short term licenses?). They don't seem to have much else on the horizon. Might be ideal to load up on stuff you'd otherwise not bother with, just out of curiosity. There are some ok low-budget gems in the mix for five bucks (TEXAS TOWN, YOUNGBLOOD, BUCKTOWN, ANGEL UNCHAINED, etc).
Picked up a sealed copy of that Jet Li 'Legend' 2fer from the local thrift store for $4.99 sometime ago. Ordered 24 titles from this sale..if they are really as bad as they are supposed to be, I will sell some of them to you, Brian T for cost so you can make a killing in Canada on the resale (or do they have to be sealed ?)
Old 11-01-23, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Picked up a sealed copy of that Jet Li 'Legend' 2fer from the local thrift store for $4.99 sometime ago. Ordered 24 titles from this sale..if they are really as bad as they are supposed to be, I will sell some of them to you, Brian T for cost so you can make a killing in Canada on the resale (or do they have to be sealed ?)
If you bought Youngblood and don't want it I'll take it off your hands. I passed on it because I saw it wasn't the Rob Lowe hockey movie, but then a revisit to the site kinda had me wanting it. Just couldn't find 4 other titles to make it another $5 title.
Old 11-01-23, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Paff
If you bought Youngblood and don't want it I'll take it off your hands. I passed on it because I saw it wasn't the Rob Lowe hockey movie, but then a revisit to the site kinda had me wanting it. Just couldn't find 4 other titles to make it another $5 title.
sounds good. Let me have a chance to view it. Wonít be for at least another month as I am out of the country for 2 weeks. Will DM you
Old 11-01-23, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Straight from Eureka with free shipping is the best option. Just ordered Pandora's Box
After checking all the pricing I could find, I did the same. Hoping it's a significant upgrade from the oop Criterion DVD. Between inflation & USA postage rates, it's much pricier to buy from MOC than it was 3 years ago.
Old 11-01-23, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sounds good. Let me have a chance to view it. Wonít be for at least another month as I am out of the country for 2 weeks. Will DM you
Never mind. Brian also gave thumbs up to Texas Town and Angel, so I threw those into the cart too, then Johhny Cool and The Wicked Die Slow, and pulled the trigger.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paff:
Brian T (11-02-23), laidbacklarkin (11-02-23)
Old 11-01-23, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That might be an offer I can’t refuse (especially with a U.S. mailing address, which keeps the shipping reasonable, compared to up here), although there are some titles that don’t have listings on Amazon Canada, and as a ‘personal’ seller on there, I can’t create listings for them, so I might have to pick and choose.

Originally Posted by Paff
Never mind. Brian also gave thumbs up to Texas Town and Angel, so I threw those into the cart too, then Johhny Cool and The Wicked Die Slow, and pulled the trigger.
As I said, there are some gems in the Scorpion/Ronin catalogue. Just don’t expect undisputed classics and you might enjoy them. I was going to add Johnny Cool to my previous recommendations, as it’s not bad, kinda minor Rat Pack lite because of the Sammy Davis - Peter Lawford connections. A lot of these might not be ‘repeat view’ kinda things, but for five bucks a pop, you could do a lot worse. As for ANGEL UNCHAINED, it’s got a lot of dull biker intrigue typical of the era, but the wild dune buggy stunts (allegedly partly coordinated by Hal Needham) put it in a league of its own.

The late Walter Olsen, the boss behind Scorpion Releasing (which is the label behind a LOT of the titles in this sale, which makes me wonder if they’re going OOP) always seemed to have access – via access to certain corners of the MGM and (I think?) Universal libraries – to better quality product than his brother, the late Bill Olsen, the big cheese at Code Red and Dark Force. The latter’s acquisitions always seemed a real mixed bag, from truly great exploitation trash, to really forgettable exploitation trash, most of it seemingly sourced from clearing out warehouses of defunct distributors and the like. Overall, I personally think Code Red released more interesting stuff, but Scorpion was able to release better if still somewhat obscure stuff from slightly higher up the food chain (i.e. SMALL TOWN, YOUNGBLOOD).

I probably should have noted RECORD CITY earlier as well. It's not a great film, at all – in fact, it was one of the first shot on video and transferred to film – but the sheer only-in-America Hollywood Squares So-Cal 70’s WTF-ness of it makes it worth a peek for a fiver, so hopefully somebody gave it a shot and will be humming Rick Dees’ Discorilla for days!.

Last edited by Brian T; 11-18-23 at 08:26 PM.
laidbacklarkin (11-02-23)
Old 11-02-23, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian T
As I said, there are some gems in the Scorpion/Ronin catalogue. Just donít expect undisputed classics and you might enjoy them. I was going to add Johnny Cool to my previous recommendations, as itís not bad, kinda minor Rat Pack lite because of the Sammy Davis - Peter Lawford connections. A lot of these might not be Ďrepeat viewí kinda things, but for five bucks a pop, you could do a lot worse. As for ANGEL UNCHAINED, itís got a lot of dull biker intrigue typical of the era, but the wild dune buggy stunts (allegedly partly coordinated by Hal Needham) put it in a league of its own.

I probably should have noted RECORD CITY earlier as well. Itís not a great film, at all Ė in fact, it was one of the first shot on video and transferred to film Ė but the sheer only-in-America Hollywood Squares So-Cal 70ís WTF-ness of it makes it worth a peek for a fiver, so hopefully somebody gave it a shot and will be humming Rick Deesí DisGorilla for days!
Well I like 70s exploitation and drive-in fare (often, that was my demarcation line on taking a flyer on some of these titles; late 70s/early 80s, go for it. Very late 80s, into the 90s, skip it) so I'm sure I'll dig at least some of the titles I got. And yes, Record City was one of them! Two reasons. One, I collect records and there's so few movies set in a record store. I already know Record City won't be as good as High Fidelity or even Empire Records, but like you say, five bucks. Second reason is that my favorite local store just happens to be called Record City, and it was also the name of the best record store in the area I grew up, 3000 miles away. So why not.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paff:
Brian T (11-02-23), laidbacklarkin (11-02-23)
Old 11-02-23, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But Iíll bet your Record City stores didnít have Frank Gorshin, Frank Gorshin, Frank Gorshin and Fraahaaank Gorshin getting up to his cuh-razy hijinks, so prepare to be amazed. Or . . . something. At the very least, the level of very un-PC behaviour in it is staggeringly high. You oughta ask the hipster kids inevitably running your local store if theyíve heard of it.

Iím in the same boat with the Scorpion, Code Red and Dark Force releases. A lot of their most worthwhile finds are from the mid 70ís to mid 80ís. Outside that ya takes your chances, especially into the 90ís.

While quite a few of the Ronin/Scorpion and Code Red oldies have found permanent homes on my shelf, by far the one I feel the most guilt for having up there is RECORD CITY. Itís beyond dumb, nowhere near as funny as the cast seemed to think it was, and I gave it a 5 out of 10 at IMDb and felt incredibly guilty about that, too. And yet there is sits, in all of its sun-soaked, sub-par, sitcom-cast glory, because I know Iíll watch it again some day, and cringe while secretly finding the whole thing fascinating like a car wreck, and yet kinda nostalgic. But itís so dumb.
laidbacklarkin (11-02-23)
Old 11-02-23, 04:26 PM

Wow, Eureka already shipped my yesterdays order of Pandoras Box
MooMooMooMoo (11-04-23)
Old 11-02-23, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, Eureka already shipped my yesterdays order of Pandoras Box
Mine also.
Old 11-02-23, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unfortunately, the total price has significantly climbed; as NO retailer really gives free shipping; they just roll the shipping into the price & call it free. No rank on Eureka, everyone does it.
Old 11-03-23, 01:21 PM

88 Films is having a sale:
https://88-films.myshopify.com/colle...lu-ray-version
Sale is now live, most things are discounted, pre-orders are not included, we will be tipping up with stick and we go but this takes unto 10 days now so please be patient.
You can acquire reward points but you can't spend them for the duration of the sale I'm afraid,
Plan is to end it at the end of the month but that it subject to change and we may not run it for that long.
Old 11-03-23, 02:32 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Sorta glad that I donít have a region free player at the moment. There were a dozen or more region B that Iíd want.
DiggityDawg (11-03-23)
Old 11-03-23, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The tricky thing with 88 martial arts titles now is figuring out what's been reissued in better versions by them, and possibly in Region 1 as well (or maybe only in region 1?). I bought a lot of those HK titles back when they were the only option. Then they started repeating some of them in R1, and I believe they upgraded a bunch of the older Jackie Chan titles with better scans or something. Kind of annoying. Overall, though, there are some goodies in their catalog.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.