DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/629702-deals-thread-cult-genre-non-region-blu-rays.html)

thetao 12-27-17 09:42 PM

re: Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 13233501)
Does anyone know what day the Arrow sale ends? I am wrestling with lack of money on 1 hand, & 4 sales I want to indulge in on the other!

My understanding is that it runs through sometime on January 13th.

asianxcore 12-27-17 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 13233501)
Does anyone know what day the Arrow sale ends? I am wrestling with lack of money on 1 hand, & 4 sales I want to indulge in on the other!

Their Facebook page says 'Mid-Day Friday, January 12th'

MooMooMooMoo 12-27-17 11:01 PM

Thanks! Maybe some money will come in. I had to pass on the Eureka sale.

laidbacklarkin 12-27-17 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by thetao (Post 13234077)
Amazon is selling Flicker Alley's The Lost World for $19.49. Really doubt it's going to get cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-World-De.../dp/B071LTF6TN

damn, paid $30 direct from FA, thought the free shipping nailed it ☺

laidbacklarkin 12-28-17 04:56 PM

What is the Free Ship limit for Arrow direct now ? It used to be £50 for free stateside delivery but turns out its no more so - my media cart was £62.85 and shipping was £7.50

MooMooMooMoo 12-28-17 07:14 PM

There was quite a bit of shipping on my Arrow cart; around $25 USD for $75 USD in dvd's. (I don't remember what the pound price was). If they'd go to free ship I'd seriously consider placing the order.

MooMooMooMoo 12-29-17 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin (Post 13234537)
What is the Free Ship limit for Arrow direct now ? It used to be £50 for free stateside delivery but turns out its no more so - my media cart was £62.85 and shipping was £7.50

This is going to sound weird, but it appears to be a web bug:

I removed a few items to get it down to $45 pounds; 0 shipping fee.

I then got it back up to 67 pounds, still 0 shipping. I didn't place the order, since I have a couple weeks to think about it (& hope the exchange rate drops); but it's worth a try.

MooMooMooMoo 12-29-17 02:11 AM

I feel like a bit of an idiot.......... Most of the Arrows I wanted were all their Fassbinders. I just realized my UK Fassbinders are the 2 Arrow DVD boxes. Does anyone know how much of an upgrade these blu's are over the 2007 Arrow dvd box sets?

I wouldn't even be able to sell the boxes, as 1 box has 3 films not on blu, & the other has 4.

laidbacklarkin 12-29-17 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 13234820)

I then got it back up to 67 pounds, still 0 shipping. I didn't place the order, since I have a couple weeks to think about it (& hope the exchange rate drops); but it's worth a try.

thank you, will give it a try. Can you confirm if you went as far as entering your shipping address in the checkout process ? The shipping fee does not show until then

ororama 12-29-17 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin (Post 13234537)

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 13234820)

Their FAQs say "Q. Is there still free shipping on all orders over £50?
A. We have now removed this offer, although we have made every effort to ensure that we have kept our P&P costs as low as possible, whether Standard or Tracked delivery is chosen."

I guess it's possible that there is a glitch that gave you free shipping, but I think it would have to be left over from prior to the removal of the free shipping offer. In the checkout process you have to enter your billing address and then enter your shipping address in the following step, so if you didn't re-enter your address in the shipping address step, the shipping costs wouldn't appear.

It seems that the are just two shipping prices in each option, based on weight. The Standard shipping charge for 4 blu-rays to World Zone 1 (including the US and Canada) was 2.25, after that it went to 7.50 (I only went as high as 10 blu-rays, but it didn't go above 7.50).

I used my reward points for 4 blu-rays, and have enough points for another order of that size. One that I want is out of stock, so I'm waiting to see if it comes back in before placing a second order.

I was planning to order Kiju Yoshida Love + Anarchism, but it is out of stock, which I assume means out of print. Amazon UK has third party sellers offering it for over 100, but I decided to check US Amazon, where it was $49.99, an all time low and better than Arrow's sale price (I had forgotten that they do parallel UK and US releases on their limited editions). I went with Deep Discount and their 15% coupon, which was a little cheaper. Always good to compare prices. Amazon UK has better prices than Arrow currently on some of the Nordic TV blu-ray sets.

laidbacklarkin 12-29-17 12:35 PM

Thanks, ororama. So it appears its cheaper to split your purchase across multiple orders to keep the S/H costs minimal ? And its definitely based on weight as you mention because a third item I added to my order of 'The Apartment' and 'Jamaica Inn' pushed S/H to £7.50 - and this must be because of the the LE's hardbound book.

Everyone should take advantage of the current sale from Arrow - some great titles in there at great prices. Including the popular ones like 'Fish called Wanda' and 'Ronin' which with shipping can be had for as less as $12 each. And they're Region A/B as well (with reversible covers for the UK ratings label detesting folks).

Does anyone know if Arrow plans to release 'Day of the Jackal' in the US ? And/or if its region A friendly ? Thanks

MooMooMooMoo 12-29-17 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin (Post 13234922)
thank you, will give it a try. Can you confirm if you went as far as entering your shipping address in the checkout process ? The shipping fee does not show until then

Yes, I did.

MooMooMooMoo 12-30-17 02:14 AM

The 7.50 reappeared today. I think there's a web site issue..........

Proglodite 12-30-17 09:23 AM

Are new titles being added, because I don't recall Ronin or Fish Called Wanda as part of the sale when I placed my order the first night the sale became active? --Peter

laidbacklarkin 12-30-17 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Proglodite (Post 13235448)
Are new titles being added, because I don't recall Ronin or Fish Called Wanda as part of the sale when I placed my order the first night the sale became active? --Peter

for a few days now, its been a steady count of 226 BR titles. Arrow doesn't remove a title when it goes OOS (The Sorrow and the Pity for e.g)

Brian T 01-01-18 02:19 AM

New Year's Day-only deal from Vinegar Syndrome on two new two-disc, five-film sets that upgrade previously DVD-only titles to Blu-Ray. From their email announcement:

As we've been hinting, we're celebrating our fifth anniversary by revisiting ten films that were previously only released on DVD by bringing them to Blu as part of two limited edition sets (for you impatient types: check the website – they are available now!).

The first collects five horror and exploitation titles and includes Cirio Santiago's female powered action classic, THE MUTHERS, John Hayes' dreamy sexploitation crime saga, THE HANG UP, Pat Boyette's gothic horror obscurity THE DUNGEON OF HAROW, Alan Ormsby's regional murder mystery MURDER ON THE EMERAL SEAS, and finally Carlos Tobalina's Hitchcock tribute FLESH AND BULLETS (because the thought of Tobalina on Blu was too much to resist).

The second set covers five oft-requested blu-ray upgrade hardcore titles, kicking off with two from one of our favorite filmmakers, Bob Chinn, with the madcap HOT AND SAUCY PIZZA GIRLS as well as his jaw-dropping entry in Nazi-sploitation, PRISONER OF PARADISE. Also included is Suze Randall and Victor Nye's new wave reimagining of Marquis De Sade, TOO NAUGHTY TO SAY NO, Anthony Spinelli's lavish period piece noir, DIXIE RAY HOLLYWOOD STAR, and finally Bud Lee's RIBALD TALES OF CANTERBURY (more Hyapatia on blu!!!).

These two limited sets will be available exclusively off of the VS site and will be offered at a special discount on New Year's Day only!
NYD: $30 per set or $55 for BOTH sets
After NYD: $35 per set or $65 for BOTH sets

Also, if you'd like to see more Blu-ray upgrade sets like these, let us know on Facebook, forums, and via email! If the response is strong and these do well, we'll plan to add additional collections going forward, maybe even later in 2018 (but no guarantees).

Of course, as a reminder, 2018 YEARLY SUBSCRIBERS will have these sets included as part of their January Package shipment!

One more thing…
If you missed out on last year’s limited edition slipcover releases of SWEET SUGAR & RED MOB, the regular editions are now in stock and shipping from VinegarSyndrome.com!

~Team VS

SterlingBen 01-04-18 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 13219759)
I only spent around $70. Nope, not me! :)

You may have made the correct decision...

Got my order today. Interestingly they re-used a box for my order:
https://i.imgur.com/ethA2F2.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bbZanMz.jpg

The goods:
https://i.imgur.com/e8PmlQ3.jpg

The bonuses:
https://i.imgur.com/dJs90Rm.jpg

Shopping I ordered from them last year on blu but whatever, it was free. Having ordered The Stuntman and Zulu Dawn I got 2 alternate titles from the standard 3 everyone else got. Inglorious Bastards which I already owned and they specifically said wasn't going to be one of the freebies :( and And the Last House On The Beach (which I thankfully didn't own).

So....Disclaimer: I am waiting for my Jack The Ripper so my "RARE" item from the archives may be sent with that part of my order but man if that enamel pin is my rare item that I boosted my order $75 for that is fucking lame.

MooMooMooMoo 01-11-18 07:49 PM

A paycheck is running late, at the last minute decision is to pass on the great Arrow sale. Hope it's repeated.

Adam Tyner 01-23-18 06:28 PM

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes is $15.45 at walmart.com. Free shipping too, BTW.

laidbacklarkin 01-23-18 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13253231)

Ordered, thanks

joltman 01-24-18 06:21 AM

Thanks Adam! I already ordered the other MVD release from them, D.O.A, which is $19.06

JackBurton 01-24-18 07:01 AM

Looks like Amazon matched the price on D.O.A. as well.

Proglodite 01-24-18 08:19 AM

Any reviews on the Killer Tomatoes disc yet? --Peter

Adam Tyner 01-24-18 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Proglodite (Post 13253502)
Any reviews on the Killer Tomatoes disc yet? --Peter

Not that I've seen.

DVD Talk hasn't gotten a review copy yet (or at least one hasn't been entered into our system).

Brian T 01-24-18 02:03 PM

Amazon matched the Killer Tomatoes @ $15.45