Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

STAR WARS Individual Steel Books Now $16.96 Preorder

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 08:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STAR WARS Individual Steel Books Now $16.96 Preorder

You can now Pre-order the six steelbooks for just $16.96. Definitely a "deal" for steelbooks of this popular a franchise and you are guaranteed the lower price if it drops even further. Here is the link: STAR WARS STEELBOOKS
Old 08-12-15, 09:25 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: STAR WARS Individual Steel Books Now $16.96 Preorder

Just an FYI, it looks like they'll be 1 disc only, sans 2nd disc extras as well as bonus disc.

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-sta...ray-steelbooks

"In addition to the collectible steelbook packaging, each Blu-ray disc features existing audio commentary with George Lucas and the film crew as well as audio commentary from archival interviews with the cast and crew."
Old 08-12-15, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I'm with most fans of the original trilogy. Make it "remastered" versions of the *original* theatrical releases in OAR with *no* tampering other than basic clean up of the film stock and I'm in. Anything else they can keep! Until then I'll continue to watch my "flat" WS theatrical release copies I got several years ago in the limited edition 2 DVD package.
Old 08-12-15, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Clearly an eventual impulsive end cap buy for $7.99. These will be blanket all over stores. Probably next to your favorite cereal and soda.
Old 08-12-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm with most fans of the original trilogy. Make it "remastered" versions of the *original* theatrical releases in OAR with *no* tampering other than basic clean up of the film stock and I'm in. Anything else they can keep! Until then I'll continue to watch my "flat" WS theatrical release copies I got several years ago in the limited edition 2 DVD package.

Old 08-12-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Clearly an eventual impulsive end cap buy for $7.99. These will be blanket all over stores. Probably next to your favorite cereal and soda.
And they will still have a hard time selling them all. Definitely wait for the eventual clearance price.
Old 08-12-15, 12:19 PM

A naive question. Which one is the 'unaltered' version of Star Wars currently available.?

Is the DVD with black and white box set with 4 dvd set the one. ( I have that one IV, V and VI)
I am assuming the single release dvd are also original

So No Blurays are original versions correct ?

Thanks
Old 08-12-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Yes, the unaltered versions have not hit Blu-ray.
Old 08-12-15, 12:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by soundman2
A naive question. Which one is the 'unaltered' version of Star Wars currently available.?

Is the DVD with black and white box set with 4 dvd set the one. ( I have that one IV, V and VI)

Thanks
No blu ray version exists with the original unaltered cuts. The only DVD version that exists is this one, and the original unaltered version is listed as a bonus extra. But the cut is not even anamorphic.

Old 08-12-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by soundman2

Thanks
If you're wanting the unaltered theatrical versions you have *one* choice. The 2006 "Limited Edition" versions of IV, V, and VI which came with the remastered version in anamorphic WS and the "flat" (non-anamorphic) WS theatrical version as a "bonus" disc.

Links to those releases on Amazon:

A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

The theatrical versions were nothing more than the old laserdisc transfers put on DVD. They're not great but they *are* better than nothing.

Each of those also came in a package which included a Trade Paperback of the story and Best Buy had a "Tin Box" version with all three in a "Tin Box" but no TPB.

If you want BR you'll have to wait and hope that Disney just might be able to wrangle the necessary rights and do something right for a change by re-releasing the theatrical versions of the original trilogy in a updated package. I'm not holding my breath as such a project requires participation of both Disney and Fox (who holds 100% of the rights to A New Hope).
Old 08-12-15, 02:21 PM
Banned

Most of us would love to see the original versions but many of us are still pleased to have what is and will be available. I prefer these individual steelbooks over the "complete" collections...why they are still labeling the new box sets "complete" is a mystery to me...didn't Fox's design team get the memo about Episode Vii?

I'm not willing to gamble that the steelbooks will be abundantly available or heavily discounted so I preordered a full set. At least I know $16.96 is the most I could expect to pay....and when was the last time you saw steelbook Blu-rays on the cereal aisle for any movie?

Last edited by AaronSch; 08-12-15 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-12-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

If the steelbooks had iconic images from the films I'd be more inclined. Like Boba Fett, Jabba the Hut, etc. vs. the usual figures.
Old 08-12-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Man, how many releases are these movies getting? Might as well get the complete box set of 1-6 with the bells and whistles.
Old 08-12-15, 03:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

these are a travesty. even me, a semi-retired SteelBook™ collector feel these are ridiculous!

can't wait for the Mondo designed SteelBook™ when TFA is released on home theater...
Old 08-12-15, 04:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to have steelbooks with the original poster art for these films.

These ones are too generic.
Old 08-12-15, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

It might be a dead horse, but I'm just gonna keep on beating it til it does something. No sale on these.
Old 08-12-15, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
The theatrical versions were nothing more than the old laserdisc transfers put on DVD. They're not great but they *are* better than nothing.
It should also be noted that even this is not really the theatrical version. There is several edits to the soundtrack in this version.
Old 08-12-15, 09:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OldBoy
these are a travesty. even me, a semi-retired SteelBook™ collector feel these are ridiculous!

can't wait for the Mondo designed SteelBook™ when TFA is released on home theater...
A travesty? I gotta disagree with you there. Would I have preferred the original poster art? Sure....but the back covers will have some of the iconic art. I haven't been impressed by any of the packaging for the Star Wars films on home video ESPECIALLY the Blu-ray releases. I love the steel book packaging and its hands down the most attractive means of buying these on Blu-ray and the only way to buy them individually. Now if they reveal standard keepcases with slipcovers that use the original posters, I'll cancel every one of these!
Old 08-12-15, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only way of buying these individually. Unless I missed something they were only previously available as the whole saga or separate trilogies.

Travesty given the terrible covers and that they are still the altered versions with no new extras.
Old 08-12-15, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Only way of buying these individually. Unless I missed something they were only previously available as the whole saga or separate trilogies.

Travesty given the terrible covers and that they are still the altered versions with no new extras.
Yeah, I don't own these films on Blu-ray and I want them individually. So this is my only option. As much as I would like to own these as they were originally presented, I am okay with having what is available. People have been whining and beating this dead horse for years. But calling the steelbooks a travesty is a joke. 'Cause you know and I know if they DID contain the original versions, these people would be salivating over how cool they looked. There are people in this and other forums who just enjoy laying hate all over George Lucas and the tinkering he did to HIS films. If you don't like it, don't buy t and stop whining. 'Cause even these versiions are better than much of what sits in your colective collections.

Some steelbook collectors love the Mondo art and I am not a fan—so to each his own. I can't wait to get these and watch the films for the first time in nearly a decade.
Old 08-12-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
$10 is probably the most I'll pay for these, provided there is some iconic art on the back. I'm sure it will be possible SOME WAY to do it, since these are released near BF. But truthfully, they have cheap looking fronts. They will hold some value just because they are Star Wars, but they are a big fail IMO, with yet another cheap photoshop head release (Big surprise it's from Fox -- look at the Dreamworks slips). Steelbook collectors are willing to pay a bit more for something that really looks nice, and I wish they'd learn a little effort can go a long way. But regardless these will sell since they are "Star Wars". Just not to me, except at bargain prices.
Old 08-12-15, 11:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
...But regardless these will sell since they are "Star Wars".
Ain't that the truth!
Old 08-12-15, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AaronSch
'Cause you know and I know if they DID contain the original versions, these people would be salivating over how cool they looked.
Doubt people would be happy with the covers. But they would be happy to make their own if it meant they contained the holy OOT grail.
Old 08-13-15, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy

I remember the day I walked 3 miles in high school after school to Best Buy to get the Scarface steelbook over 10 years ago. I thought it was so cool to have it. Also had the Grindhouse steelbook. But man, so many movies are now out on steelbook not even worth the double dip.
Old 08-13-15, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I remember the day I walked 3 miles in high school after school to Best Buy to get the Scarface steelbook over 10 years ago. I thought it was so cool to have it. Also had the Grindhouse steelbook. But man, so many movies are now out on steelbook not even worth the double dip.
Yeah, when shit like Law Abiding Citizen get steelbook releases you know the novelty has worn off.

With the exception of DC animated films, I don't bother with steelbooks at all anymore.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.