Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

STAR WARS Individual Steel Books Now $16.96 Preorder

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-15, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: STAR WARS Individual Steel Books Now $16.96 Preorder

Although I do own a few Steelbooks, I don't see the draw since they're on the shelf 99% of the time and only the spine shows anyway. Now if there are collectors out there who display the Steelbooks cover-side, I could see the appeal.
Old 08-15-15, 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by masetodd
Although I do own a few Steelbooks, I don't see the draw since they're on the shelf 99% of the time and only the spine shows anyway. Now if there are collectors out there who display the Steelbooks cover-side, I could see the appeal.
As I have argued in other forums, for many, the collecting experience includes the packaging. I happen to love the steelbooks and many have in fact devised ingenious ways of displaying them in their home theater set-ups. What puzzles me are the people who find it necessary to shoot down those who find as much value and pleasure in the packaging as the films themselves. Lets face it, I'm sure we all have friends and family members who find it ridiculous that we would collect movies at all. So live and let live and to each his own. I can't wait to own these.
Old 08-15-15, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People were not shooting down those that collect packaging. They were in fact commenting on their dislike for these designs because they do consider the packaging in their buying decisions. I've spent the extra money to get steelbooks, and other special packaging, well over a hundred times over the years.
Old 08-15-15, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
People were not shooting down those that collect packaging. They were in fact commenting on their dislike for these designs because they do consider the packaging in their buying decisions. I've spent the extra money to get steelbooks, and other special packaging, well over a hundred times over the years.
Ummm, read the quote I was responding to...it has nothing to do with the specific cover art of the Star Wars steelbooks. However, I happen to agree that the original posters would have been preferable but I am still buying them.
Old 08-17-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777

Quit beating a dead IncrediPony™!
Old 08-22-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
If you're wanting the unaltered theatrical versions you have *one* choice. The 2006 "Limited Edition" versions of IV, V, and VI which came with the remastered version in anamorphic WS and the "flat" (non-anamorphic) WS theatrical version as a "bonus" disc.

Links to those releases on Amazon:

A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

The theatrical versions were nothing more than the old laserdisc transfers put on DVD. They're not great but they *are* better than nothing.

Each of those also came in a package which included a Trade Paperback of the story and Best Buy had a "Tin Box" version with all three in a "Tin Box" but no TPB
There's also the boxset of all three, isn't there? This set.

Never seen sets with books in...
Old 08-22-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
If the steelbooks had iconic images from the films I'd be more inclined. Like Boba Fett, Jabba the Hut, etc. vs. the usual figures.
These are a bit odd - 5/6 villains. Why not Christopher Lee on II and make them all villains - then do 6 "hero" versions and sell twice as many?! Why 'generic Stormtrooper' and not Jabba or Fett?

Strange. Not bad, but weird.
Old 08-23-15, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

^^ that'll be reserved for the 2016 editions when they'll sucker even more money out of steelbook enthusiasts.
Old 09-10-15, 01:44 PM
Cool New Member

Wow, a Stormtrooper on Star Wars V. I wonder if any Stormtrooper ever hit anything with all the shots they ever fired?
Old 11-20-15, 03:44 PM

These are now $15 ea on Amazon.