DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Another foxconnect.com 50% Off Sale for 3/27 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/619054-another-foxconnect-com-50%25-off-sale-3-27-a.html)

Sweet Baby James 03-27-14 01:43 AM

Another foxconnect.com 50% Off Sale for 3/27

Coupon Code---

Thrifty

PhantomStranger 03-27-14 01:47 AM

Re: Another foxconnect.com 50% Off Sale for 3/27

These frequent sales are going to burn out their customer base. Split up pre-orders into their own order, if possible. They won't ship current stock in an order if there are pre-orders in it.

MooMooMooMoo 03-27-14 02:11 AM

My guess: I sell both cd's & dvd's & have for a full time living since 1998. As much as you hear about cd's dying, my movies sales have dropped by 75% more than my cd sales.

I think streaming is killing physical media for all but collectors like us & old people (like me).

As my last order, went more than ok, I'll likely grab something. Off to figure out if the preorders are included..........

MooMooMooMoo 03-27-14 02:30 AM

I browsed for about 10 minutes, & then the site totally froze. To find box sets, you pretty much have to search by price. The "pre-orders" are almost entirely older stuff they've sold out of. Assuming the site unfreezes (LOL), I suspect I'll find enough for the free ship.

moklerman 03-27-14 05:02 AM

Found a few things I wanted but now have to call customer service when they open. My total was around $58 but I missed the code entry screen. Tried to go back to the previous steps but it wouldn't let me. The only active button was the place order button. I thought maybe there would be one more screen asking if I had any codes or coupons so I clicked it.

So, my order got placed at full price. Argh. There's a reorder option on your account screen...not really sure how often people need to do that but I clicked it and the code option was there on the first screen so I entered it just to see if it would work and it accepted it but it only took $9.99 off the $58 total of four different items. Is it just 50% off 1 item? The banner on the site just says 50% off today only. Not 50% off of what.

Easy 03-27-14 06:56 AM

No sets or TV it appears...

FOX really needs to be more clear about exactly what is on sale.

Shannon Nutt 03-27-14 07:21 AM

Picked up the new ROCKY collection for $19.49. :banana: <-- Rocky dance

sade 03-27-14 07:56 AM

Getting "Coupon could not be applied for skus in cart"

mattysemo247 03-27-14 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12058393)
These frequent sales are going to burn out their customer base. Split up pre-orders into their own order, if possible. They won't ship current stock in an order if there are pre-orders in it.

Unless they just started doing this, I've ordered pre orders in the past and they never held my order until they were in stock. But they do charge you upfront for the entire order.

Also, the preorder for the new Robocop box set it up. It includes the new transfer of the first film. $13 after discount.

Shannon Nutt 03-27-14 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by sade (Post 12058540)

It doesn't apply to every single title (despite what the promo says)...I was also going to get The Wolverine 3D extended cut, but that one's not eligible, it seems.

Krayzie 03-27-14 08:38 AM

I robot 3d preorder is $9 with movie cash... I paid $14 without movie cash last week. Damn Fox.

Still waiting for Wolverine 3D to work with a 50% off sale.

Mr. Cinema 03-27-14 09:45 AM

12 Years a Slave is $12.99 with discount. The Avatar 3-disc set is only $10.99. And there's some good pre-orders to choose from like the Fargo remastered edition. Also, Fox is re-releasing all X-men movies with movie cash on May 6. Each are new BD/DVD combo packs with UV digital copy. They're $7.99 each after the discount.

ktg 03-27-14 11:02 AM

Anyone know anything about this version of The Fly from their site? Description says 'blu-ray' and it gives the same content description as this blu-ray of the 1950's version, but it also says "1986" making me think it's really the Cronenburg remake...and I'm not convinced it's really a blu-ray either. Furthermore I can't find this white-jacketed version on Amazon/Google/Google Shopping/Google images. So which film is it? And is it a DVD or blu-ray?

Thanks in advance.

http://d2qcn1pw3me4sl.cloudfront.net...8-20140220.jpg

Shinobi 03-27-14 11:58 AM

Is this Predator / Predator 2 / Predators Triple Feature...

http://www.foxconnect.com/predator-p...ure-40480.html

...the same thing as the upcoming Predator Trilogy?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Predat...Blu-ray/99728/

Both have the same release date and the same list price.

Shannon Nutt 03-27-14 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by ktg (Post 12058770)

Well, that box cover is for the 1958 version.

PhantomStranger 03-27-14 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by ktg (Post 12058770)
Anyone know anything about this version of The Fly from their site? Description says 'blu-ray' and it gives the same content description as this blu-ray of the 1950's version, but it also says "1986" making me think it's really the Cronenburg remake...and I'm not convinced it's really a blu-ray either. Furthermore I can't find this white-jacketed version on Amazon/Google/Google Shopping/Google images. So which film is it? And is it a DVD or blu-ray?

Thanks in advance.

http://d2qcn1pw3me4sl.cloudfront.net...8-20140220.jpg

It's the 1958 Blu-ray, I ordered it last time.

moklerman 03-27-14 01:23 PM

I tried ordering:

Mary Tyler Moore - Season 5
The Cleveland Show - Season 2
History of the World Part 1 blu-ray
French Kiss blu-ray

The only one it applied to was French Kiss. Put in a cancel "request". I might end up buying them all at regular price which will piss me off enough to never use their site again.

PhantomStranger 03-27-14 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by moklerman (Post 12058965)
I tried ordering:

Mary Tyler Moore - Season 5
The Cleveland Show - Season 2
History of the World Part 1 blu-ray
French Kiss blu-ray

The only one it applied to was French Kiss. Put in a cancel "request". I might end up buying them all at regular price which will piss me off enough to never use their site again.

Television shows don't work in this sale.

moklerman 03-27-14 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12058996)
Television shows don't work in this sale.

Which reminds me that the "Use promo code thrifty for 50%" on their home page wasn't an active link and they did not make it easy to figure out just what the sale was.

It didn't say 50% off one item, your entire order, which items...not very clear at all.

A link to the select titles that were actually included would have been much better IMO. No TV sets, no Lucas stuff, no Dreamworks, no pre-orders...kind of a pain.

rexinnih 03-27-14 03:43 PM

They got me for four more..

MooMooMooMoo 03-27-14 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Easy (Post 12058491)
No sets or TV it appears...

FOX really needs to be more clear about exactly what is on sale.

There are sets. Search by price & you'll see them.

Their website is very poorly designed.

Easy 03-27-14 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 12059359)
There are sets. Search by price & you'll see them.

Their website is very poorly designed.

I know they exist but as far as I can tell they are not on sale. I tried Star Wars, The Americans and Modern Family S4. No dice.

NitroJMS 03-27-14 06:28 PM

Ordered Hitchcock's Spellbound and Notorious, plus preordered The Secret Life of Walter Mitty for $13.

Might grab a few more later tonight.

That'sAllFolks 03-27-14 06:40 PM

Some good deals (all are preorders that will ship May 6)

http://www.foxconnect.com/robocop-tr...ollection.html

http://www.foxconnect.com/the-john-w...ollection.html

Icon slips wave #2
https://www.foxconnect.com/catalogse...evance&q=icons

MooMooMooMoo 03-27-14 07:46 PM

There website is AWFUL. The only way i could pay with Pay Pal was to use IE. It would error out with both Opera & Firefox. I ran into this last time also, at least this time they billed me the correct amount.

Bought all dvd's:
Journey to The Center of The Earth
Pinky
Lost World SE
"Classic Quad Set 2" (4 50's films)
$20.98

boc4ever 03-27-14 08:21 PM

I got Limitless and Spinal tap for $12.99 shipped UPS. Works for me!

Classic Films 03-27-14 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 12059488)

I would be very surprised if the John Wayne set was a blu ray even though that what it says in the link. Red River is going to be released by Criterion on blu ray. It would be unusual for Fox to have a competing blu ray released at the same time. On the other hand Amazon is showing a set with the same cover and films on DVD but it was released in 2012 and so would not be a preorder.

sandman007 03-27-14 10:40 PM

My order:

Spellbound Blu-ray
Notorious Blu-ray
Rebecca Blu-ray
$20.99

laidbacklarkin 03-27-14 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Classic Films (Post 12059713)
I would be very surprised if the John Wayne set was a blu ray even though that what it says in the link. Red River is going to be released by Criterion on blu ray. It would be unusual for Fox to have a competing blu ray released at the same time. On the other hand Amazon is showing a set with the same cover and films on DVD but it was released in 2012 and so would not be a preorder.

Impossible that JW set is a BD set. It is mislabeled - I have the DVD set and that's exactly what it is. Perhaps its being released with another disc or a new UPC and hence a re-release. Its def not a BD set

laidbacklarkin 03-27-14 11:47 PM

Got the Robocop trilogy - expect it to be $9.99 by BF '14 but so what ?

sleepyhead55 03-28-14 12:11 AM

I caved in and made 2 orders:

The Towering Inferno $9.99
Stoker $12.99
The Taking of Pelham 123 (Original) $12.99

Total: $17.98

The Deep End $10.99
The King of Comedy $15.99

Total $13.49

Xbox69 03-28-14 01:27 AM

The code is still working for me. No intention of placing an order but I thought I'd just check. I recall last week the "Treasure Trove Thursday" 50% OFF code expired a bit soon, before midnight Central Time.

Yet THRIFTY was still successfully applied to in cart items.

I'm using Firefox.

DWilson 03-28-14 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin (Post 12059770)
Impossible that JW set is a BD set. It is mislabeled - I have the DVD set and that's exactly what it is. Perhaps its being released with another disc or a new UPC and hence a re-release. Its def not a BD set

Bluray.com shows a 7-disc John Wayne Collection on Blu-ray coming out on the day they've indicated, so it would seem to be legit.

rw2516 03-28-14 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by sade (Post 12058540)

After experimenting with different combos I discovered this message appears if:
1. Cart total before coupon exceeds $100
2. Everything in cart is ineligible for sale.

If cart is under $100 and you have a mix of eligible and ineligible, the coupon will apply successfully, giving the discount to the eligible items only. The others remain full price.

WillieMLF 03-28-14 09:13 AM

Anyone receive the Anne Frank/Book Thief combo pack from the last sale? Someone posted on another forum that they called CS to inquire as to the delay of this order and was informed they ran out. All subsequent orders were cancelled. I didn't get an email, and I'm not seeing a refund. Just curious if ANYONE received this?

That'sAllFolks 03-28-14 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin (Post 12059770)

Here is the DVD set:
http://www.foxconnect.com/john-wayne...idescreen.html
and the blu-ray set:
http://www.foxconnect.com/the-john-w...ollection.html

The consensus at blu-ray.com is that the Blu-ray set has the wrong desc and there are only 7 movies included. See walmart listing below (look at spine also to see listing of movies):
http://www.walmart.com/ip/35715653

I was going to pass, but I own Barbarian and the Geisha unopened so I thought I'd sell it to recoup half the cost. The rest would be blind buys.

Originally Posted by WillieMLF (Post 12059985)
Anyone receive the Anne Frank/Book Thief combo pack from the last sale? Someone posted on another forum that they called CS to inquire as to the delay of this order and was informed they ran out. All subsequent orders were cancelled. I didn't get an email, and I'm not seeing a refund. Just curious if ANYONE received this?

no, I read that too. In fact I placed 2 orders for this (on 2 different accounts). One was standalone and was placed in the early hours of the sale because I was afraid it was a mistake. I then placed another order and included it as well -- the order shipped without the AF/BT combo, which isn't a good sign. Though my order history does not show cancelled for either of the orders. Fox has plenty of both BDs I'm sure, and they could fill them if they want -- just don't know if they will.

laidbacklarkin 03-28-14 11:50 AM

I stand corrected on that JW listing and comment I made. Marking it for a future 50% off sale - I still haven't opened the DVD set I got from B&N a couple of Christmases ago :-)...this double dipping has to stop

PhantomStranger 03-28-14 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by WillieMLF (Post 12059985)

I foresee headaches dealing with their customer service over this item. I ordered it last week but alongside a bunch of distant pre-orders, so I didn't expect to see it soon. I also paid with Paypal. I've heard dealing with their customer service is a joke.

moklerman 03-28-14 02:47 PM

Okay, just to give credit where it's due, they cancelled my order. I'm sure everyone was on pins and needles waiting to hear what happened. :)

kenbenobi 03-28-14 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12058393)
I still haven't opened the DVD set I got from B&N a couple of Christmases ago :-)...this double dipping has to stop

What about the triple and quadruple dipping? ;)
Some of us have bought the same movies on VHS, then DVD, then the SE DVD upgrade, then the HD-DVD, then the BD, and some maybe even a SE BD. GAH!!!!!!!!!!!