DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - Season 1 and 2 for about $16 ea (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/618775-avengers-earths-mightiest-heroes-season-1-2-about-%2416-ea.html)

joltman 03-15-14 07:46 PM

The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - Season 1 and 2 for about $16 ea

Playstop.ca (formerly CD Plus) currently has the first season and second season of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (2010-03 animated show) for $17.50 CAN shipped, which works out to about $15.75 based on XE's currency converter. Keep in mind, since it's in CAN, your credit card may charge a foreign transaction fee (mine is 3%, which is still better than my local sales tax)

Kedrix 03-15-14 10:06 PM

Re: The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - Season 1 and 2 for about $16 ea

I can't pass that up even if I have been very strict on myself lately. Every time I see it on Amazon or Ebay, it's going for $30 or more for each one. So, yeah, thanks :)

PhantomStranger 03-15-14 10:29 PM

Yeah, it seems these sets recently got dropped in price by Canadian retailers. Both seasons are worth watching and infinitely better than what we are getting for the Avengers from Disney at the moment. They do come with possibly the cheapest slipcovers in Blu-ray existence, but these are complete seasons in very good A/V quality.

They will never see a release in the States, so for Americans it is either these sets or nothing at all.

DVD Polizei 03-16-14 05:44 PM

Went ahead and ordered both seasons. Somewhat of a blind buy for me, but reading reviews all over the place, seems like I can't go wrong, and the series has a good lineage of events.

Spiderbite 03-16-14 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12045654)

They will never see a release in the States, so for Americans it is either these sets or nothing at all.

why is that?

DVD Polizei 03-16-14 08:44 PM

The same reason I have several mis-matched television series packaging, eco-packaging Blu-ray cases, features being left out on Blu-ray releases which were on DVD, etc.

Cost and indifference to the consumer.

PhantomStranger 03-16-14 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 12046427)
why is that?

Walt Disney Studios controls this property in the United States. They have no interest in releasing it on Blu-ray, it came out from them in a series of exploitative individual volumes on DVD aimed at the children's market.

A different distributor controlled its home video rights in Canada, thankfully.

bellevuecoug 03-16-14 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12046451)
Walt Disney Studios controls this property in the United States. They have no interest in releasing it on Blu-ray, it came out from them in a series of exploitative individual volumes on DVD aimed at the children's market.

A different distributor controlled its home video rights in Canada, thankfully.

On blu, sure, but no special features, right?

I guess spending $30+ for the nice uncompssed transfer alone is a judgement call. They are on Netflix and will be for some time given the Disney contract. I'm tempted to bite just for the collecting aspect, but 30 bucks buys a lot of gas. Or at least a tank.

Surfinhank 03-17-14 02:08 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I had forgotten about these sets. :)

joltman 03-17-14 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by bellevuecoug (Post 12046610)
On blu, sure, but no special features, right?

I guess spending $30+ for the nice uncompssed transfer alone is a judgement call. They are on Netflix and will be for some time given the Disney contract. I'm tempted to bite just for the collecting aspect, but 30 bucks buys a lot of gas. Or at least a tank.

There are special features, albeit minor ones. The first season has six interviews with various cast and crew members that last about 2 minutes each, none of which appeared on the Disney DVD releases. The second season has the same special features as volumes 5 and 6 of the Disney DVD releases, which are two episodes with trivia tracks, and three clip compilations.

Trevor 03-17-14 12:52 PM

Their website is a bit wonky in safari, but season one may be sold out.

DVD Polizei 03-17-14 09:00 PM

Sometimes S1 will show in the browser...and sometimes not. I had to do a search for it, then add it to my cart. Could be sold out though.

DVD Polizei 03-21-14 09:18 AM

Looking within my account, these two titles (and my order) are back-ordered.

UPDATE: Order changed to In-Process. Hope it's shipping soon!

Eric F 03-28-14 10:44 AM

The first one is now showing, "In stock" on the website so I thought I'd give it a shot. Hopefully they'll show up one day.

Surfinhank 03-28-14 11:17 AM

I just checked my account and my order is listed as "shipped".... but I didn't get an email and there's no tracking number or ship date on my account, so I guess we'll see.......

PhantomStranger 03-28-14 02:02 PM

I never had a problem with them when they were known as CD Plus.

Kedrix 03-31-14 07:03 PM

I received Season 2 late last week, and my Season 1 does say shipped, so hopefully it will appear this week. Interestingly, Season 2 arrived in a padded envelope from VA, so I'm guessing they have a distribution warehouse in the states.

Surfinhank 04-01-14 01:21 AM

Same here: got a padded envelope from VA. today. But I only got season 1, so still waiting for season 2.

Eric F 04-01-14 04:05 PM

Both mine still says "in process" so who knows what's up? I'm not expecting to get it. They cancelled it last time I ordered from them.

karoomba 04-02-14 06:05 PM

I ordered mine from Amazon.ca. Do they ship to the US? I know Amazon.com has no problems shipping up here.

John Sinnott 04-02-14 09:13 PM

Yes, Amazon.ca will ship to the US, but the shipping costs are pretty high as I recall.

joltman 04-03-14 07:31 AM

Yea, that's something I always thought was funny, shipping is cheaper from Amazon UK than Amazon.ca to the US.

DVD Polizei 04-03-14 09:10 AM

Haven't received my shipment yet. Dang it.

EDIT: Received S2 today.

Eric F 04-06-14 11:48 PM

My order says both "shipped".

PhantomStranger 04-07-14 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by joltman (Post 12066285)
Yea, that's something I always thought was funny, shipping is cheaper from Amazon UK than Amazon.ca to the US.

I've always thought they did that as a soft form of protectionism, so the sites wouldn't compete with each other on price. Amazon.ca uses much different pricing algorithms than the original Amazon. I think they were afraid that American customers would scoop up most of the loss leaders and sales ran on Amazon.ca.