Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Criterion flash sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-14, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Criterion flash sale

I went ahead and bit for the Zatoichi box.
Old 02-25-14, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I went ahead and bit for the Zatoichi box.
I almost did until I realized the 50% off was from the $225 and not the listed $180.

Oh well, I'll nab it eventually.
Old 02-25-14, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I almost did until I realized the 50% off was from the $225 and not the listed $180.

Oh well, I'll nab it eventually.
Yeah, I thought about that, and while it probably will be cheaper than 112$ in the future, there's no telling when. I want it now and 50% off msrp is good enough. It works out to about $4.50 a film (plus you get HD and SD copies of the movies). Good enough.
Old 02-25-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Yeah, I thought about that, and while it probably will be cheaper than 112$ in the future, there's no telling when. I want it now and 50% off msrp is good enough. It works out to about $4.50 a film (plus you get HD and SD copies of the movies). Good enough.
It's definitely not a bad deal.

The whole set would be a blind buy for me so I'm hoping to eventually find it for under $100. $112 is right on the edge though. So close but I still decided to pass this time.
Old 02-25-14, 10:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Picked up:

Nashville
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Rififi
The Long Day Closes
Thief
Throne of Blood
Old 02-26-14, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up a few I've been meaning to for awhile:

Rosemary's Baby
The Magician
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Diabolique
Old 02-26-14, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Purchased:

Ministry of Fear
Seconds
City Lights

Also, Criterion is pulling a "Willy Wonka" with this sale. From their Facebook page:

"Twenty lucky customers will find golden tickets tucked into their orders. Those winners will get goodies ranging from shirts and swag up to the grand prize: your very own trip via webcam to the Criterion DVD closet."
Old 02-26-14, 08:35 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

My order shipped already.
Old 02-26-14, 09:46 AM

Ballad of Narayama
The Big City
Charulata
City Lights
Fantastic Mr Fox
The Gold Rush
The Great Dictator
Insignificance
Late Ray (Eclipse)
The Leopard
Modern Times
Monsieur Verdoux
People on Sunday

Remember, you also get "loyalty points" when purchasing directly from Criterion, which can be redeemed for a future purchase. After a couple of flash sales, I usually have enough to cash in during a future flash sale. I know I came away with 3 or 4 BRDs for a few bucks last year using my points during a flash sale. This is a distinct advantage over B&N sales.
Old 02-26-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The whole set would be a blind buy for me so I'm hoping to eventually find it for under $100.
Wouldn't Zatoichi be a blind buy for everyone?

Old 02-26-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I wanted Thief, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Godzilla, and Throne of Blood and they were all sold out by the time I got home.
Old 02-26-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I was interested in Tess (didn't even realize this was released till seeing a review link at the top of this forum), Foreign Correspondent, and some catalog titles, but I forgot when I got home, and I guess they probably would have been sold out anyway. Oh well.
Old 02-26-14, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryKILL
Remember, you also get "loyalty points" when purchasing directly from Criterion, which can be redeemed for a future purchase. After a couple of flash sales, I usually have enough to cash in during a future flash sale. I know I came away with 3 or 4 BRDs for a few bucks last year using my points during a flash sale. This is a distinct advantage over B&N sales.
This is my logic. And, no tax with Criterion, tax with B&N. Couple that with the fact that I don't really want to deal with the coupon fiasco anymore and this is as good as Criterion's get.

I picked up:
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Nashville
The Killing
La Notte
City Lights
Blow Out
Pierrot Le Fou (Poster)
L'Avventura (Poster)

The posters weren't on sale, but I've been meaning to pick them up.
Old 02-26-14, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Being a cheap bastard and these still being $20 a piece I was gong to pass on this sale until...
Originally Posted by bacigalup
"Twenty lucky customers will find golden tickets tucked into their orders. Those winners will get goodies ranging from shirts and swag up to the grand prize: your very own trip via webcam to the Criterion DVD closet."
Old 02-26-14, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

My stuff shipped this morning and nothing was backordered, so made it before half of them would have been sold out.
Old 02-26-14, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hopefully a few people here are among the golden ticket recipients. would love to know what stuff ended up sent out.
Old 02-26-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by bacigalup
Also, Criterion is pulling a "Willy Wonka" with this sale. From their Facebook page:

Nice. I recall griping about the 'filmmakers-only' policy of the closet after the first several videos. Always wondered why they wouldn't let one of the great unwashed in there on occasion, even as part of a contest. I wondered if such a contest might involve the creation of quickie user films via YouTube or Vine rather than sticking tickets in random shipments, but it's a start!
Old 02-26-14, 02:44 PM

I got an order in for Foreign Correspondent, Throne of Blood (upgrading my DVD), and Seconds. It's kind of sad, but it's getting harder and harder to find Criterions I want to buy.
Old 02-26-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by crikey
I got an order in for Foreign Correspondent, Throne of Blood (upgrading my DVD), and Seconds. It's kind of sad, but it's getting harder and harder to find Criterions I want to buy.
I have the opposite problem - I have to pick and choose what I want, and hope I can get others later before they go out of print. I guess it depends on how many you own already. I still have under 50.
Old 02-27-14, 05:35 AM

Yeah, I have something like 200 at this point. I'm considering upgrading DVDs to Blu -- DVDs that are still in shrink from purchases long ago. That might be a sign to stop buying them.

I love Criterion to death, and still buy maybe 10-15 of their Blus per year. I just find I don't have the time to watch them, so it's starting to feel more like collecting than actually enjoying the films. And, since we have Hulu+, if I want to watch any of them, I'm more likely to stream it than play the Blu.
Old 02-27-14, 08:18 AM
Banned

I have the same problem. The few newer releases I wanted were all gone by the time I checked in, so hopefully they'll still be around by next 1/2-off sale.

Wasn't disappointed by missing out on the Willy Wonka offer since my dream sweepstakes is not spending time in a closet with a bunch of unwashed French-speaking peasants.
Old 02-27-14, 08:20 AM
Banned

I have the same problem. The few newer releases I wanted were all gone by the time I checked in, so hopefully they'll still be around by next 1/2-off sale. At least others such as B&N match the sale although tax is added and there's no bonus credit to use in the future. That really came in handy during past sales after buying Essential Art House (sold later at a nice profit) since many had been upgraded/remastered/blu-rayed.

Wasn't disappointed by the Willy Wonka offer since my dream sweepstakes is not spending time in a closet with a bunch of unwashed French-speaking peasants.

Still waiting for Criterion to get the rights to One-Eyed Jacks and do it justice (well, as much as possible since the studio took the scissors to it).
Old 02-27-14, 11:55 AM

It's been a couple years since I've bought DVDs (between movies and games, I really have no room in my house for stacking any more media cabinets -- already taking up an entire bedroom in an expensive area to live!), but I couldn't resist this sale. Almost all Japanese:

ZATOICHI BOX (BR/DVD)
TOKYO STORY (BR/DVD)
THREE OUTLAW SAMURAI (BR)
LIFE OF AHARU, THE (BR)
LATE SPRING (BR)
HIGH AND LOW (BR)
HARAKIRI (BR)
QATSI TRILOGY, THE (BR)

ECLIPSE: MASAKI KOBYASHI
ECLIPSE 37: SHOCHIKU HORROR
ECLIPSE 28: KOREYOSHI KURAHARA
STRY FLTING WEEDS/FLTING WEEDS

I was going to add these BD double-dips, but I'm having a hard enough time selling my sealed DVD copies, so I couldn't justify the extra $200 to upgrade:
Kagemusha
On the Waterfront
Rashomon
The Samurai Trilogy
Shallow Grave
Seven Samurai
Throne of Blood
Traffic

Last edited by Gamelore; 02-27-14 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-27-14, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I have the opposite problem - I have to pick and choose what I want, and hope I can get others later before they go out of print. I guess it depends on how many you own already. I still have under 50.
Same here and I own about 150. Too many good ones and not enough money to buy them. Skipping this one and waiting for the next B&N sale.
Old 02-27-14, 01:28 PM

My order was pretty light:

LES COUSINS
HAXAN
DRUNKEN ANGEL

It shipped yesterday. Very happy about that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.