Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Any Doctor Who Bluray Deals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any Doctor Who Bluray Deals?

I'm looking got season 5 and 7 (complete) bluray sets. Anyone got a line on any cheap pricing? Was able to snag Season 6 for 16$ off ebay... got lucky. No lucky for that pricing for those 2 seasons though.
Old 01-24-14, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Any Doctor Who Bluray Deals?

Typically B&N's 50% off sale, combined with a coupon and potential member discount yields the best price. But you just missed that sale last month. I think the next is in June. I recently sold all of my seasons (sadly still sealed) for bargain prices after I bought the Complete Series set for a bargain price... I recommend setting up a price notification from camelcamelcamel.com so you'll know if it reaches the price you specify. But if you can't wait and want them now, http://www.dvdtalk.com/price.html/ or dvdpricesearch dot com will tell you current prices.

Last edited by kenbenobi; 01-24-14 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-24-14, 05:06 PM

alright thank you!
Old 01-24-14, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I picked up season 5 for between $16 and $20 at BestBuy. I've seen it in store at that price multiple times.
Old 01-24-14, 05:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yep, Best Buy has those BBC shows/sets on sale at certain times of the year. Picked up both 5 and 6 for $19.99. Season 7 just came out last September I think? So it'll be a while before it's available at a low price like that.
Old 01-25-14, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Note that the previously released 5th and 6th series and the specials were remastered for the new Box set released over the holidays ... "Remastered 1080p/DTS-HD MA versions of the previously released 1080i/DTS-HD HR"

The remastered version of the 6th series is being re-released as a standalone this February.
Old 01-25-14, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Yep, Best Buy has those BBC shows/sets on sale at certain times of the year. Picked up both 5 and 6 for $19.99. Season 7 just came out last September I think? So it'll be a while before it's available at a low price like that.
Me, too. as you said, seems like at least a couple of times a year, Best Buy has some kind of good deal on Doctor Who sets.

Originally Posted by flix1
Note that the previously released 5th and 6th series and the specials were remastered for the new Box set released over the holidays ... "Remastered 1080p/DTS-HD MA versions of the previously released 1080i/DTS-HD HR"

The remastered version of the 6th series is being re-released as a standalone this February.
For $20 a pop, I'm not going to complain too much, especially as the re-mastered set will still retail for around $80 to $90, like they normally do. If the re-released prices were going to be cheaper, I may have held off, but it was too good a deal to pass up.

If I could have afforded it, I would picked up the box set, but that's still a lot of $$ to drop on a show I can watch on Netfilx in decent enough quality.
Old 01-26-14, 07:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Remastered and according to many -- messed up. In order to convert to 1080p they apparently slowed the episodes down 4% to compensate for the original 25fps rate. Though they pitch corrected the voices at least, but for folks that know the series well, it is apparently a bit distracting.
I treated myself to the box set as my Christmas present to myself. I sold off all the sets I previously owned on DVD...but kept the Smith 1080i BluRay sets (S5-S6). Can't really say that I see any noticeable differences/problems re: the 1080p conversion or slowdown on these.
What I can tell You is that they squeezed more episodes onto each disc (not really a problem). They also eliminated the chapter listings in the menus. The episodes have still have chapters - but You have to use the forward or reverse chapter search buttons on Your remote to access them now. Not a problem for me, though it may be for some.
My biggest gripes are that the 1080p upconversion of the video episodes ("Rose" through "The Next Doctor") are marginal improvements at best. That and still no 2-channel audio (the menu audio, music, and effects are still significantly louder than the dialogue when played through TV speakers).
I'm still happy with it though. Whatever visual upgrade there is + the shelf-saving BluRay keepcase packaging were worth the admission price alone.

Last edited by Mickactual; 02-02-14 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-26-14, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I misread the title ... came in to ask about lawyers who might also deal in BluRays. Nevermind.
Old 01-27-14, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mickactual
I treated myself to the box set as my Christmas present to myself. I sold off all the sets I previously owned on DVD...but kept the Smith 1080i BluRay sets (S5-S7). Can't really say that I see any noticeable differences/problems re: the 1080p conversion or slowdown on these.
I didn't know about the slowdown. The review I read before buying the set didn't mention it. I was able to sell off my previous sets (all but S1 and S7), more than covering what I paid for the complete series, so I was pleased. I can't find my S1 DVD set. I gave S7 to someone for Christmas. I'm sure I'll be satisfied with the quality, especially for the price I paid...
Old 01-27-14, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I misread the title ... came in to ask about lawyers who might also deal in BluRays. Nevermind.