DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Barnes and Noble 40% off Blu-ray sale (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/616075-barnes-noble-40%25-off-blu-ray-sale.html)

beebs 12-18-13 08:07 AM

Barnes and Noble 40% off Blu-ray sale

Online and in-store sale.

Normally, 40% off at Barnes and Noble is nothing to get concerned about. Most will look at this sale and see nothing worth getting, and the pricing stoopid compared to Amazon. BUT there are certain titles that never drop in price elsewhere that make this sale plus any coupons you can find a low price. I would not call these "deals" as most prices still end up over $15 a movie.

New BN coupons for 20-30% are expected before the end of this sale.

Here's my top example, Palm Picture's Stop Making Sense is $20.99. I bought this with a coupon last year, 25% off, member free shipping, $15.74 (in sales tax free Oregon). Best price ever on this title. Palm Pictures pricing is not heavily discounted except during blanket sales like this one. BN also has low prices on Palm's Basketball Diaries and Sex and Lucia.

I purchased the first Honneamise Akira blu-ray release on sale for ~$15 during a past sale. That was a low price on the title.

The new FUNimation's Akira blu-ray is 20.99. 20% = $16.79. 25% = $15.74. Other FUNimation titles are also well-priced in the sale like Wolf Children, is $20.99. With a coupon, would be a reasonable deal as well. FUNimation is proving to be one that does discount titles on Amazon, though. They may be discounted heavily on anime sites as well. I would only grab one of these with a 25-30% coupon.

Depending on the coupon, I find Warner BBC stuff and Acorn Media stuff can also be low prices, but may have been lower under the British TV sale. For instance, Doctor Who Spearhead from Space is $17.99 on this sale and with coupon will be a low price on it.

Proglodite 12-18-13 01:36 PM

Re: Barnes and Noble 40% off Blu-ray sale

Looks like I've gotten the Dr Who limited edition Blu-ray set with sonic screwdriver for $209.99 - couldn't use 10% member or 20% coupon because it wasn't an in-store purchase, but ship to home. Beats Amazon by $90 and BBC Black Friday coupon price by $35. --Peter

b2net 12-18-13 02:06 PM

How did you get the Dr Who for an additional 40% off?

b2net 12-18-13 02:07 PM

Never mind... I see the price is before discount where many others show after discount prices..

jwstl 12-18-13 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Proglodite (Post 11949622)
Looks like I've gotten the Dr Who limited edition Blu-ray set with sonic screwdriver for $209.99 - couldn't use 10% member or 20% coupon because it wasn't an in-store purchase, but ship to home. Beats Amazon by $90 and BBC Black Friday coupon price by $35. --Peter

I use coupons on Ship to Home orders all the time. There's no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to use them. I'm surprised they gave it to you for 40% off. It's clearly not 40% off online and the sale is for only "select" Blu-rays so they probably shouldn't have given you that discount. Having said that, I plan to try it too. :)

cine 12-19-13 03:59 PM

When does this sale end?

Laser Movies 12-19-13 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by cine (Post 11951126)
When does this sale end?

The sale is supposed to run a week but not sure if it ends after Monday or runs through Christmas Eve. Usually sales end on Mondays but in this case it would make more sense to run it an extra day.

Thought I would mention some titles online now say they do not qualify for coupons or promotional discounts. It could mean if you are buying at a store the coupon may not scan the discount with some blu-ray titles, and depending on the store they may not want to accept the coupon. Already have had reports in the BN coupon thread this has happened with Criterion blu-rays at stores. However I noticed online the restrictions are not on all Criterions, or every title. I'm not sure if they are only doing this with newer or maybe the more popular selling titles. Otherwise the restrictions don't seem to make any sense.

E Unit 12-19-13 08:01 PM

According to the signs in store, the sale runs to December 24th.

laidbacklarkin 12-21-13 07:36 PM

got 'The Right Stuff' for $10.58 + tax after member discount and 30% off snail mail cpn.

E Unit 12-22-13 04:58 PM

Fuck it. Used the 25% off coupon and got Zatoichi as a Christmas present to me. $91 plus tax.

Classic Films 12-22-13 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Proglodite (Post 11949622)

How did you do this ? Its listed at $350 on line. Did you order it at the store to ship to home? I tried to do this during the 50% off BBC sale but the store wouldn't do it as they said the warehouse has no copies and its a limited edition. I see Amazon now has it in stock. Good luck. I hope you get it.

beebs 12-23-13 09:39 AM

I ordered the Studio Canal edition of the Third Man for $7.99 online using a 20% off snail mail coupon I got back in November. Shame there's no other coupon's available.

I sold my Criterion copy earlier this year. It nearly paid for a year of Blu-ray purchases thanks to rock bottom black friday pricing. :)