Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Doctor Who 1-7 Blu-Ray Collector's Set $244.99 shipped (Pay Pal Only) BBC America

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Doctor Who 1-7 Blu-Ray Collector's Set $244.99 shipped (Pay Pal Only) BBC America

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-13, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decided to start a new thread for this one

Cheapest price ever and maybe for a good while

Doctor Who 1-7 (Blu-Ray) Complete Series w/ Sonic Screwdriver remote $244.99 Shipped BBC Shop

Use code HOL13U to get 30% off the price and get free delivery.

NOTE Pay Pal is the only form pf payment the BBC shop accepts so if you do not have Pay Pal, sorry
Old 11-29-13, 08:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Doctor Who 1-7 Blu-Ray Collector's Set $244.99 shipped (Pay Pal Only) BBC America

Very tempting except I already have Seasons 5 & 6 on BD & will probably pick up 7 soon. Got the rest on SD.

I've heard that the BD quality of the first four seasons isn't the best (up-converted) and wondering if there's any talk of remastering them. Seems like I saw that they're getting individual releases soon.

Anyway, thanks for posting.
Old 11-29-13, 09:50 AM

Re: Doctor Who 1-7 Blu-Ray Collector's Set $244.99 shipped (Pay Pal Only) BBC America

The original PAL masters were already remastered and upscaled for the S1-S4 Blu-rays in this set, so that process won't be done again. I own this set, and I think the S1-S4 Blu-rays look much better than the S1-S4 DVDs.

While the S1-S4 Blu-rays clearly don't look like S5-S7, if I didn't know what was really done, I'd think they were "older HD" shows. Since the PAL masters have 576 lines of resolution, while the US DVDs have only 480, the US Blu-rays, mathematically speaking, should look at least 20% better than the US DVDs. I watched Blink (from S3) the other night, and I thought it looked wonderful on Blu-ray.

People who have purchased the European Blu-rays of S1-S4 are generally not reporting a significant increase in quality, but that is to be expected, since the original PAL DVDs already had 576 lines of resolution (just like the PAL masters).
Old 11-29-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

That doesn't look like a remote.

Old 11-29-13, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
That doesn't look like a remote.

That's the point.
Old 11-30-13, 07:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK - just ordered it. Yes - Paypal was the only payment option through the BBC-A shop, but I have my Paypal account set up so that I can opt for a CC payment instead of a direct bank withdrawal, so I ended up paying by CC anyway.
I tried to add the "Day Of The Doctor" Blu to the order, but the HOL13U code only gave 30% off that item (but not the box). So I ordered the box alone with the code for $244.99.
THEN I tried to place a separate order for "The Day Of The Doctor" with the HOL13U code, but it only gave the 30% off ($5 & change), but no free shipping.
...So I just ordered the box.

BTW - for those who want "The Day Of The Doctor" 3DBlu, and can't wait for the 12/10 street date... Best Buy is getting a 1-week early exclusive release on 12/3 for $21.99.

Last edited by Mickactual; 11-30-13 at 09:05 PM.