DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Boxsets and Steelbooks at Dollar General (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/615486-boxsets-steelbooks-dollar-general.html)

blackmage214 11-23-13 05:03 PM

Boxsets and Steelbooks at Dollar General

Men in Black/Men in Black 2/Men in Black 3 Giftset with Worm Figurine Blu Ray
$6.00

Also
Hancock (Unrated) (Special Edition) (Blu-ray) (With PS3 Blu-ray Remote) (Widescreen)
$6.00

Blu-ray steelbooks
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil degeneration
Battle Los Angeles
Men in Black 3

Dvd Steelbook
Starship Troopers Marauder

All $6.00 may vary between stores. May not be out at all stores yet

Cardsfan111 11-23-13 11:15 PM

Re: Boxsets and Steelbooks at Dollar General

Interesting finds, OP. I'll have to check my local store, specifically for the 3 MIB films for $6. And with a bonus worm figurine to boot! :)

Also, I reported your post with a request for it to be moved. Since most of what you posted was for BDs, it's better suited for the BD Bargains section and will get more exposure there. You may have meant to put it there in the first place.

Living Dead 11-24-13 01:07 AM

Weren't the Resident Evil steelbooks Wal-Mart exclusives? I was never able to get the first three in stores. If these are the same I might make a trip to the Dollar General.

DeanoBKN 11-24-13 01:43 AM

Yes they were Wal-Mart exclusives.

blackmage214 11-24-13 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 (Post 11921827)
Interesting finds, OP. I'll have to check my local store, specifically for the 3 MIB films for $6. And with a bonus worm figurine to boot! :)

Also, I reported your post with a request for it to be moved. Since most of what you posted was for BDs, it's better suited for the BD Bargains section and will get more exposure there. You may have meant to put it there in the first place.

Thanks for the move request. I bought the MIB set from my local store. Might get the RE on payday.

Stores might be holding it til the 29th.

phantom_azazel 11-24-13 02:10 PM

local dg didnt have anything

DWilson 11-24-13 04:53 PM

Every time I see a post about Dollar General, it leads to frustration. Once again I went to three different local stores, and the only thing I found was that I really didn't like being there. In each one there was a cardboard dump in the front corner with a selection of cheaper DVDs and a few Blu-Rays at $10. There were a few more DVDs in one of the aisles, but that's all I found.

kenbenobi 11-24-13 07:15 PM

I was bored, since I drove around town and hit 3 stores. They had nothin. Yeah, I know I wasted gas, but I ended up getting a free lunch at taco bell (register issues, so they just asked me what I wanted, and gave it to me for free). I'll check again in 2 days.

creekdipper 11-24-13 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 11922712)
I was bored, since I drove around town and hit 3 stores. They had nothin. Yeah, I know I wasted gas, but I ended up getting a free lunch at taco bell (register issues, so they just asked me what I wanted, and gave it to me for free). I'll check again in 2 days.

Mmmmmmm....burritos.

Same here...this is a YMMV deal, but it's still fun to hunt. At least two people have reported finding the MIB set, so it appears this wasn't just the odd mistake.

Abob Teff 11-24-13 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 11922712)

Sounds like punishment to me ... :)

rudyhasdvd 11-26-13 12:41 AM

A Dollar General opened up near where I work just around the same time a blockbuster closed down, I never bothered walking in since it looked just like a Dollar Tree. Went today on account of this thread and was able to snag a Hancock with ps3 remote.

Only one steelbook, Battle: Los Angeles.

Most upsetting they had TWO 4 Disc Amazing Spiderman with the 2 figurines set for $6, I paid $20 went it was on clearance at Target earlier this year. If they're still there by my next paycheck I'll probably pick up both out severe lack of self-respect.

Mike Long 11-28-13 06:37 PM

Thanks OP. Found the MIB3 Steelbook and the Hancock set (for the remote) at one store. The other four I visited (all very close) had nothing.

The Valeyard 11-29-13 12:37 AM

No luck at the one in Montclair. I may try again tomorrow just to be sure.

blackmage214 11-29-13 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Long (Post 11927507)
Thanks OP. Found the MIB3 Steelbook and the Hancock set (for the remote) at one store. The other four I visited (all very close) had nothing.

No prob. Bought one of the Hancock sets just for the remote also. Got the first 3 Resident Evil steelbooks Wednesday, so all my local DG has left is the Cgi Resident Evil, Battle Los Angelos, MIB3 steelbooks, and one Hancock

That'sAllFolks 11-29-13 03:46 PM

I've been to 5 DGs and talked to a stocker that works at another one. No one knew what I was talkng about .. .until today. I looked EVERYWHERE in this one store and couldn't find it. I tracked down a worker who was stocking stuff they had just received. She said .. are you talking about the Spider-man on top of the cooler ... I rushed over there to find Spidey and MIB trilogy. They also had 2 Hancocks w/ remote. COULDN"T BELIEVE IT. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: I snatched them up and even bought the Hancocks out of jubilation (I don't know what I will do with the remotes??). For me, the best BF deal of 2013, since it was something I wanted to get anyway and was at a great price. Beats the legendary Ben Hur set of 2011 for me -- and that was a high want as well even before the sale.

Still looking for the steelbooks, but I got what I really wanted.

Mike Long 11-29-13 05:57 PM

Checked two more today and found nothing. I have learned that every DG has a different layout and thus makes them hard to search.

Each one I visited had unopened boxes sitting around, so I can't help but wonder if these will appear in the next few days.

rwsharpjr 11-30-13 07:20 PM

So I have been checking 4 local stores since the day this thread was started.
No luck.
This morning I figured I would check one of them.
Saw MIB ans Spider-Man sets behind the counter and asked for them.
As I was paying, the manager came up and mentioned that they had a street date of today, so she just put them out this morning.

No steelbooks to be found.
Curious if many others found them today also?

kenbenobi 11-30-13 10:45 PM

I hit 2 more stores today, and did not find the big sets. I did however find a MIB and Battle Los Angeles Steelbooks at once store. But I couldn't tell if they were BD or DVD. There was no disc information on them whatsoever. I should have compared the case sizes to other cases. Didn't think of it at the time. Regardless, I already own the movies so would not have re-bought them just to get steelbooks.

Mike Long 12-01-13 07:50 AM

The Spider-Man and MIB box sets were pictured in today's ad. This makes me wonder if some stores had them and were waiting until today to put them out.

rwsharpjr 12-01-13 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Long (Post 11929841)
The Spider-Man and MIB box sets were pictured in today's ad. This makes me wonder if some stores had them and were waiting until today to put them out.

Huh.
Do they make different ads in different areas?
Our local ad shows the same Spider-Man mask bluray set and Hotel Transylvania plush bluray set that are/were $10 at walmart. For $6.

No MIB.

kenbenobi 12-01-13 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Long (Post 11929841)

You're twisting my arm to hit at least one store today...

EDIT: What page in the ad? I'm not seeing it in mine...

grune 12-01-13 09:19 AM

It was in the ad here. I hit 3 stores this morning. They didn't have anything that wasn't there Friday which was just one Hancock at one store

darkdaze73 12-01-13 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by rwsharpjr (Post 11929870)
Huh.
Do they make different ads in different areas?
Our local ad shows the same Spider-Man mask bluray set and Hotel Transylvania plush bluray set that are/were $10 at walmart. For $6.

No MIB.

Same here.

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 11929882)
You're twisting my arm to hit at least one store today...

EDIT: What page in the ad? I'm not seeing it in mine...

Page 3 for me.

Also to add, I stopped by one store yesterday and saw nothing but some random dvd's. May try a couple more tomorrow if I don't forget. I have most of what has been mentioned so far, but they would make some nice stuffing stockers for my nieces and nephews.

GuessWho 12-01-13 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by blackmage214 (Post 11921542)
Men in Black/Men in Black 2/Men in Black 3 Giftset with Worm Figurine Blu Ray
$6.00

Wanted this. Clerk said a guy came in yesterday and bought them all.

Originally Posted by blackmage214 (Post 11921542)
Hancock (Unrated) (Special Edition) (Blu-ray) (With PS3 Blu-ray Remote) (Widescreen)
$6.00

Saw this. Passed on it.

That'sAllFolks 12-01-13 12:49 PM

Went to a couple more today to find that "other" spidey set in the ad (WM exclusive) and the steelbooks. No one had anything and no one knew anything.