Reload this Page >

Boxsets and Steelbooks at Dollar General

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Boxsets and Steelbooks at Dollar General

Old 12-01-13, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Boxsets and Steelbooks at Dollar General

Men in Black/Men in Black 2/Men in Black 3 Giftset with Worm Figurine Blu Ray - $6.00.
4 Disc Amazing Spiderman with the 2 figurines set - $6.00

There was a Dollar General on my way to a college football game on Friday and I pickup one of the Men In Black sets and one of the 4 Disc Amazing Spiderman sets. (There was two sets of each left on the shelf after I picked up mine.) Met a friend at the game and I mentioned it to him (he asked me if I did any Blu-Ray/DVD shopping the last couple of days) and he was interested in the same deal. Since I was going home the same way - and he wasn't - I went back to the same Dollar General and luckly there was one set each left so I pickup both sets for him.

No Battle Of Los Angeles or Hancock at that store. I haven't had the chance to check the two stores in town so perhaps they will have those two there - will check in the next couple of days if I pass those stores.

Last edited by LaxBandit; 12-09-13 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-01-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I hit 2 more stores today, and did not find the big sets. I did however find a MIB and Battle Los Angeles Steelbooks at once store. But I couldn't tell if they were BD or DVD. There was no disc information on them whatsoever. I should have compared the case sizes to other cases. Didn't think of it at the time. Regardless, I already own the movies so would not have re-bought them just to get steelbooks.
Went by my first store today since these were found and discovered the same thing you did. It was MiB3 and Battle: Los Angeles Steelbook, 2 copies of each for $6. It wasn't til I got home that I looked up the MiB title and discovered it is a BD.

I passed for now. Tempted by the MiB3, but would rather pick up all 3 in that series for $6 if I come across it. The store also had other BDs for $10 and a few TV boxsets for $8 (The Ellen Show and Square Pegs--both complete series).
Old 12-01-13, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI the steel books have a tiny blu ray logo on the spine. Went to 3 different stores today, picked up mib3 and battle la steel books and Hancock remote set. Was hoping to find the mib set and Spider-Man set but no luck. If anyone is interested in what I got, let me know
Old 12-01-13, 05:59 PM

Checked the one closest to home today and they had none of these and didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Going to check the one that is on my way home from work tomorrow and hope they have the MiB set.
Old 12-01-13, 06:02 PM

For those of you who have found them: were they in the aisle with the other dvd's, or were they displayed in the front of the store?
Old 12-01-13, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in two Dollar Generals this afternoon, and one had single copies of Men In Black and Battle Los Angeles. They were "in the run", not on the spinning rack or in some bin. But in case a customer or a clerk misplaced them, I recommend checking everywhere.
Old 12-02-13, 04:54 AM

I've found them everywhere - in the regular
Isle
DVD racks, in the spinner racks and behind the counter for the box sets. Each store has a totally different setup and degree of squalor.
Old 12-02-13, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was out and about today and hit a few other stores without going out of the way much. I picked up the ad and would show it to an employee when asking about the sets. At one, the lady had no knowledge of receiving anything. At another, I found the Hancock/ps3 remote set. Went ahead and purchased it (while wondering what the market might be for the remote) and asked the lady at the counter. She said they received that and a Spiderman set that was gone quickly.

Would have loved to have found the MiB trilogy set, but knew the odds were long. Probably not worth additional stops since stores should have put them out by yesterday and it's like finding a needle in the haystack when it comes to whether particular stores have them.
Old 12-02-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

This is the first I wished I lived in Tennessee.
Old 12-03-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remembered one other store nearby that I hadn't checked. Discovered several steelbooks on the regular DVD display. I was excited to find The Amazing Spiderman -- this is what it looks like.

There was just the one copy, along with single copies of Battle: Los Angeles and 3 of the Resident Evil films. Near the register were 2 of the Hancock/PS3 remote sets. No sign again of the MiB trilogy set which I had hoped to find.

While buying the steelbook, the cashier remarked "Is this a movie? I've never seen one like this before."
Old 12-04-13, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts

I have been to about 10 different Dollar General's now over the past few days looking for the Hancock set. I have yet to see it or Spider-Man. In fact, it wasn't until the last store I just went to that I saw the first and only Steelbook (Batttle:LA).
Old 12-04-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The DG near me had 2 or 3 of the Hancock sets .. I passed, since I was looking for the MIB or other steelbooks (Dundalk, MD ... btw)
Old 12-04-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Couldn't find any of the loose-disc DVDs at my store, unfortunately, but I did spot The Amazing Spider Man, MIB3, Battle: Los Angeles, and Resident Evil (Apocalypse, Extinction, Degeneration) Blu-ray steelbooks all marked at $6.
Old 12-04-13, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts

I finally got lucky. I found another store to check and they had some steelbooks so I grabbed all the Resident Evil ones that I needed and Battle:LA for the hell of it. Luckily there was a lady in front of me in the checkout line because as I was waiting on her I happened to casually turn around and there was Hancock sitting on an endcap.
Old 12-06-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks OP. It's been years since I've stepped into a Dollar General, but I did today and picked up Battle: Los Angeles and Men in Black 3 steelbooks. They also had the RE ones, but I already picked those up from Walmart when they had them.

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I remembered one other store nearby that I hadn't checked. Discovered several steelbooks on the regular DVD display. I was excited to find The Amazing Spiderman -- this is what it looks like.
Have you opened it yet to see what's included? The only steelbook I've seen of that movie is the one Best Buy had that included the 3D version, but it doesn't look like that one.
Old 12-07-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Swung by another store tonight and found the Spider Man LE figure set. Now if I can find that MIB set I'll be done.
Old 12-08-13, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247

Have you opened it yet to see what's included? The only steelbook I've seen of that movie is the one Best Buy had that included the 3D version, but it doesn't look like that one.
That Amz Spider-man steelbook is from Futureshop in Canada. It's the only thing I haven't got that I really want. None of the stores in my area seem to have any steelbooks. I've actually opened the box that these came in and all we got in our area is MIB,l Amz SM gift sets and Hancock sets (that I've seen). I don't think it's worth driving all over now since it's been a week.
Old 12-09-13, 08:50 AM

Can anyone please share what's on the 4 discs in the Amazing Spider-Man set? I don't see any info on the Futureshop site. Thanks!
Old 12-09-13, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ppawuk
Can anyone please share what's on the 4 discs in the Amazing Spider-Man set? I don't see any info on the Futureshop site. Thanks!
I'm not sure if the 4 disc set is the Futureshop steel book. But it is on the LE set that is also in stores. If they are the same, it should be 1 3D disc, 1 2D movie disc, 1 special features blu ray disc, and 1 DVD movie copy.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Amazing-Sp...=B008QZGCCG&m=
Old 12-09-13, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I'm not sure if the 4 disc set is the Futureshop steel book. But it is on the LE set that is also in stores. If they are the same, it should be 1 3D disc, 1 2D movie disc, 1 special features blu ray disc, and 1 DVD movie copy.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Amazing-Sp...=B008QZGCCG&m=
Much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-09-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

found 1 of RE: Apocalypse at one of my local stores ... guess I'll check some other farther ones tomorrow .... they are still out there.
Old 12-09-13, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LaxBandit
No Battle Of Los Angeles or Hancock at that store. I haven't had the chance to check the two stores in town so perhaps they will have those two there - will check in the next couple of days if I pass those stores.
Went to the two stores in town and another the next town over since Black Friday and no luck in finding either one.
Oh well - at least I got the Spiderman/Men In Black ones.
Old 12-09-13, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up an extra Hancock/remote for a friend who ended up not needing it. Would gladly trade for an MIB set.
Old 12-10-13, 01:51 PM

Can anyone confirm if the MIB set is still being shipped?

I really want to find that MIB trilogy set. If anyone finds an extra, I'd be happy to buy or trade.
Our stores here only seem to have MI3 steelbook, the Battle of LA & the Hancock w/remote.
Old 12-19-13, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by JTKenobi
Can anyone confirm if the MIB set is still being shipped?

I really want to find that MIB trilogy set. If anyone finds an extra, I'd be happy to buy or trade.
Our stores here only seem to have MI3 steelbook, the Battle of LA & the Hancock w/remote.
Same here. except the Trade cuz I don't really have much to trade. MY dollar generals haven't had any of this stuff. just the typical bluray stuff I have already gotten from them. Have check back a couple times a week too. but nada.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.