DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Wal-Mart Black Friday ad (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/615137-wal-mart-black-friday-ad.html)

Alan Smithee 11-12-13 12:34 AM

Wal-Mart Black Friday ad

http://weeklyad.walmart.com/Walmart/...toreid=2494717

You may need to enter your area on the site to get accurate info, as I don't know how much it varies.

And the fun starts at 6PM, so all the underpaid employees will just have to have their Thanksgiving dinners early.

asianxcore 11-12-13 01:07 AM

Re: Wal-Mart Black Friday ad

Like last year, I'll probably stop by Walmart and pick up some things.

DVD Polizei 11-12-13 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee (Post 11905465)
http://weeklyad.walmart.com/Walmart/...toreid=2494717

You may need to enter your area on the site to get accurate info, as I don't know how much it varies.

And the fun starts at 6PM, so all the underpaid employees will just have to have their Thanksgiving dinners early.

They probably can't afford a Thanksgiving dinner.

Travis McClain 11-12-13 01:22 AM

Here are the pictured Blu-ray titles:

$3.96 Blu-rays - "over 89 titles"
  • 21 Jump Street
  • The A-Team
  • Act of Valor
  • Argo
  • Beautiful Creatures
  • The Bourne Identity
  • The Da Vinci Code/Angels and Demons double feature
  • The Dark Knight Rises
  • The Hangover, Part II
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
  • Hellboy II: The Golden Army
  • Here Comes the Boom
  • Ice Age: The Meltdown
  • Live Free or Die Hard
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • The Mummy
  • Rio
  • Twilight
  • The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
  • The Twilight Saga: New Moon
  • Van Helsing
  • The Wizard of Oz
  • The Wolverine
$6.96 Blu-ray - "over 60 titles"
  • Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked
  • The Big Lebowski
  • Fast Five
  • Flight
  • A Good Day to Die Hard
  • Ice Age: The Continental Drift
  • Jack the Giant Slayer
  • Jurassic Park
  • The Lord of the Rings Collection [theatrical cuts]
  • Magic Mike
  • Olympus Has Fallen
  • Red Dawn
  • Taken 2
  • Ted
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles | Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze | Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III triple feature
$9.96 Blu-ray Combo Packs - "over 35 titles"
  • The Conjuring
  • The Croods
  • Epic
  • Grown-Ups 2
  • The Heat
  • The Internship
  • Monsters University
  • Oblivion
  • Pacific Rim
  • Skyfall
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
  • World War Z

I think the most surprising is The Wolverine in the $3.96 assortment.

Brian T 11-12-13 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Travis McClain (Post 11905487)
I think the most surprising is The Wolverine in the $3.96 assortment.

I'm assuming that will be a movie-only edition. Seems to me they did that with a couple of new-release titles last year. Pretty sure the movie-only Blu-ray of DARK SHADOWS was around that same price (maybe WOMAN IN BLACK, too?). You have to wonder if they don't make these editions specifically for the Black Friday sales. :)

joltman 11-12-13 06:11 AM

The especially weird thing about The Wolverine is that it's not even supposed to come out until Dec 3. So either they are having an exclusive early cheap release, or they put the wrong image in the ad

Shagrath 11-12-13 07:02 AM

I'm going to assume that "The Wolverine" is actually supposed to be "X-Men - Wolverine: Origins."

Gizmo 11-12-13 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Shagrath (Post 11905589)
I'm going to assume that "The Wolverine" is actually supposed to be "X-Men - Wolverine: Origins."

Not what the picture shows.

ppawuk 11-12-13 09:11 AM

Thanks for posting.

To add to the $6.96 titles there's also:

Jurassic Park (regular Blu-ray)
Lord of the Rings (non-extended)

Shagrath 11-12-13 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 11905641)

I completely understand that. I'm saying the ad is more than likely misprinted (IMO) and if that's the case, you're going to be hard-pressed to get a title that's not even released yet for $4.

Classic Films 11-12-13 10:03 AM

The only way I will get any of these deals is if they are available on line. Too many stories of people getting injured at Walmart trying to get deals.

Good prices

ppawuk 11-12-13 10:22 AM

I've always found that the movies aren't the first to go. Mostly the higher-end electronics. Might just be in my area though. I had a store by me last year that had quite a bit of stuff left over for a few weeks. I hope it happens that way again.

Jacoby Ellsbury 11-12-13 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Classic Films (Post 11905753)
The only way I will get any of these deals is if they are available on line. Too many stories of people getting injured at Walmart trying to get deals.

Good prices

Same reason I don't drive a car or eat food, too many car accidents and people choking to death. Happens every day

mattysemo247 11-12-13 10:56 AM

Because Walmart is not known for making mistakes ;)

Classic Films 11-12-13 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury (Post 11905788)
Same reason I don't drive a car or eat food, too many car accidents and people choking to death. Happens every day

Uncalled for snark but I guess you are entitled to your opinion.

Here's hoping Amazon matches the prices at Walmart, Best Buy, and Target.

adrenaline78 11-12-13 06:32 PM

The Wolverine won't even be released yet. It's def a print error.

Travis McClain 11-12-13 07:40 PM

It's all starting to blur together, but it seems like someone else has X-Men Origins: Wolverine in their ~$4 Blu-ray assortment. It would certainly make more sense for that to be what Walmart meant to show, but if there's any official response to the matter from Walmart, I'm unaware of it, and I'm not big on speculation.

Last year, I stopped by my local Walmart after hanging out with friends on Thanksgiving evening. I got there around half an hour after the doors opened, and there was absolutely nowhere to park; even the area behind the store where the semis are unloaded was overrun with cars. I almost just went home, but I was actually feeling okay that night and I was curious to see what that chaos looked like so I parked elsewhere and hoofed it. Their promo copies of Brave were long gone, but a lot of the other discs were still there as late as Saturday evening.

Fun tip: If you can't find an advertised movie in the promo group, try the regular stock in electronics. In 2010, I couldn't find a BF-stickered Blu of Get Him to the Greek, but they had several on the shelf where it ordinarily was, and sure enough, it rang up at the BF price. Last year, I did this with the aforementioned Brave. The shelf sticker still showed $20-30 (I forget the actual price), but it rang up at the advertised $8.00. People just assume that only the copies with stickers are in the system at those prices and leave alone the ones in the electronics department. They may change that this year, of course, but it's worth keeping in mind if you get there and can't find what you want in the display.

yellahoosh 11-13-13 08:57 PM

Hope they honor these online. I usually like to go to Wal-Mart around 8 or 9 am on Friday morning but with these terrible early start times, it'll be VERY picked over. I'm not into all the mayhem and crowds.

Alan Smithee 11-14-13 12:53 AM

And if you don't feel like shopping, you might be up for this instead:
https://actionnetwork.org/event_camp...riday-near-you

creekdipper 11-14-13 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Classic Films (Post 11905753)

Time to break out the ol' tire iron.

BF has just about made me want to hold off on buying BD any other time of year unless I run across one for $5 (or <$8 at least) for anything except more obscure or foreign titles, Criterions, etc.

Some great $3.96 discs (and probably will be some other gems among the 64 other unlisted titles). Feel kind of bad for people who paid big bucks for Wizard of OZ when it was out of print.

DEC29111 11-15-13 12:13 AM

Only one way to find out for sure.. its not unheard of a movie/disc to be release through one retailer earlier then others.. But "The Wolverine" might be worth getting out and fighting the mobs this year... The last time I went "Mob" crazy was when Wal-Mart offered the HD-DVD players for sale in 2006 (or was it 2007?).

Gizmo 11-15-13 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 11905830)
Because Walmart is not known for making mistakes ;)

Amazon might price match!

NYCMan 11-16-13 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 11910113)
Amazon might price match!

Do they usually? And does that happen last minute, or do they also release an ad? Never even considered Amazon for BF until this year.

Travis McClain 11-16-13 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by NYCMan (Post 11911361)
Do they usually? And does that happen last minute, or do they also release an ad? Never even considered Amazon for BF until this year.

Amazon has done a terrific job the last several years of price-matching print ads. Sometimes they only match during the advertised hours for a time-specific sale, but sometimes they outdo the brick & mortar stores. For instance, in 2008, Target advertised Psych: The Complete Second Season for $13.98 on Black Friday. Amazon ran it at $13.99 as early as Thanksgiving. I placed my order just before going to visit my in-laws, content that I didn't have to set foot in Target the next morning. It was well worth the penny!

That'sAllFolks 11-16-13 12:27 PM

He realizes that. He said "assume". I think it's a pretty safe bet.

Originally Posted by Travis McClain (Post 11905487)
Here are the pictured Blu-ray titles:

Thank you. Very helpful.

There was talk at blu-ray.com about WM possibly PMing their online prices from 6PM-7PM. I heard they did something like this last year. Anyone have more info about this? Is it EST,PST,etc? Is it free shipping (w/ a min)? I doubt it will make a difference to me since I'm CST, which is right in the middle of whenever they'd do it.

WM is probably the only store I actually brave the crowds because they have so many different titles (BD and DVD) that are not in the ad.