Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Target 2013 Black Friday Ad

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-13, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Target 2013 Black Friday Ad

I think I bought 12 copies of Pacific Rim BD to give out to all my buds who like action pr0n for X-mas. LOL!
Old 11-30-13, 04:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went late after the rush (had to pry myself away from Amazon lightning deals) and found some nice deals including WWZ with book and some BD with exclusive content. Store guys were extremely nice in helping me find some stuff from restocking carts & chatting about movies. Nice young man who checked me out told me to be glad I couldn't find Hansel & Gretel because it was terrible (he saw it in theater) and we compared notes with what was wrong with it. I told him I mainly wanted it for the digibook & he said, "Yeah, the book is probably worth more than the movie" and we both laughed. He was probably early 20's and I'm about hit 60 next year, but we bonded over Pacific Rim.

I kind of wish I'd gone out in the wee hours Thursday night/Friday AM, but it was just way too cold. I found nearly everything that was advertised, but one fun thing about BF sales is finding those unexpected treats that didn't make the ads. Sometimes they show up at Amazon (Longmire), but sometimes they don't (like the Wal-Mart $4 BD with WM steelbooks, etc.).
Old 11-30-13, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I continue to be amazed that people actually think Pacific Rim was anything other than a brain-dead, stupid, boring mess. How do you f*ck up giant robots and monsters fighting? A: Guillermo Del Toro shows us just how badly it can be done. People seem to want to cut it a break because someone actually made this type of movie, but can't bear admitting it was garbage. It's like getting to have sex with a supermodel, but she makes loud donkey braying sounds, screams racist comments, then poops on the bed, but just being happy you got to boink a supermodel.

I stopped at a Target in mid-afternoon and they we cleaned out of Warm Bodies BD, but the worker in the area challenged my assertion that it was on sale for $6. I had to show him the ad to get him to believe me. Yeesh.
Old 11-30-13, 04:06 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
It's like getting to have sex with a supermodel, but she makes loud donkey braying sounds, screams racist comments, then poops on the bed, but just being happy you got to boink a supermodel.
Ummm... some of us might be in to this kind of thing. Don't judge.
Old 11-30-13, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper
s. Sometimes they show up at Amazon (Longmire), but sometimes they don't (like the Wal-Mart $4 BD with WM steelbooks, etc.).
What was the Longmire deal?

Originally Posted by yellahoosh
They were all very friendly and extremely helpful at Target this morning. They even helped me track down titles - including pulling out Vampire Diaries Season 4 from the back for me.
I don't know what it is about the Target near me, but they are just jerks. I was looking for Mud and Escape from Planet Earth and decided I would ask one of the CSR's at the Games kiosk. She appeared to be busy with another customer, so I wasn't going to interrupt her, but then she asked me if she could could help. I said yes, I was looking for some movies. She said if they are not in the movies section, then we don't have them. I said could you use your handheld to track down where they should be so I can see if I overlooked them or if they were really OOS. She then said she was busy with another customer. I asked her why she even bothered to ask me if she could help if she wasn't willing to actually help. Eventually she apologized and I told her she should be sorry and I got her name to report her to management.

Bottom line: she didn't want to help. She wanted to appear to be helfpful. Perhaps she thought I wanted a quick answer and she could go on with the other customer. If that was the case, she should have said she would help me with my problem after she finished with what she was doing. But instead, I felt like she was brushing me off. That's not the first time I've gotten these kind of responses either. I guess I'm too demanding to actually expect them to really help me -- I had problems when the Scream set was hard to find (It's easy to find now!). They just brushed me off with canned answers and didn't want to go the extra mile, even when they were not busy.

BTW, I went to another Target and found both (got the last Mud!).
Old 11-30-13, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I continue to be amazed that people actually think Pacific Rim was anything other than a brain-dead, stupid, boring mess.
You're not alone. There was just enough good about it to prevent me from hating it (mostly Charlie Day and Ron Perlman), but overall I was really surprised at just how incredibly lame, boring, cliched, and unimaginative the whole thing was.
Old 11-30-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory
You're not alone. There was just enough good about it to prevent me from hating it (mostly Charlie Day and Ron Perlman), but overall I was really surprised at just how incredibly lame, boring, cliched, and unimaginative the whole thing was.
Completely agree...
Old 11-30-13, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

I continue to be amazed that people actually think Pacific Rim was anything other than a brain-dead, stupid, boring mess. How do you f*ck up giant robots and monsters fighting? A: Guillermo Del Toro shows us just how badly it can be done. People seem to want to cut it a break because someone actually made this type of movie, but can't bear admitting it was garbage. It's like getting to have sex with a supermodel, but she makes loud donkey braying sounds, screams racist comments, then poops on the bed, but just being happy you got to boink a supermodel.
You have to remember that summer popcorn movies are held to different standards. It has to be graded on a severe curve that includes stuff like the Transformers' franchise.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 12-01-13 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-30-13, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I believe this is called the Transformers Defense.

You know how it goes: "Hey, it's not meant to be Shakespeare! It's just a stupid action movie!" As if we're expecting Die Hard or The French Connection and judging it against those standards. I would have accepted something on the level of, say, Transporter 2, but Transformers wasn't even up to that low standard, and Pacific Rim wasn't even as good as the 10th best Godzilla movie.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my favorite movie, Batman & Robin. Yeah, I know, it's not that great. But hey, it's not supposed to be Citizen Kane.
Old 12-01-13, 06:40 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I went Thursday night to see if I could land he $149 Zelda 3DS bundle or the $379 iPad Air, but struck out on both. Actually, I may have been able to get the Air, but I didn't feel like getting into another long line.

The next morning, I went back since I had forgotten about the $55 "Sony WiFi Blu-Ray Player". Since the pictured player is clearly the only model Sony makes, the S3100, I checked Target's website first and saw they had some in stock still.

I pull the S3100 off the shelf, and use the self check price scanner to find the price was $89.99. I find a sales clerk, and I show him the ad. He tries to tell me that the $55 model was different, but I told him that Sony only makes one WiFi only model, plus the picture in the ad is clearly the same model. He looks up the $55 model in the computer and finds the model number listed as the S3100-BF. BF for Black Friday. He gets a manager, and they talk about it a bit, and then agree to sell me the advertised blu-ray player for the advertised price.
Old 12-01-13, 10:19 AM

To all you Pacific Rim haters: To each your own. I 'm sure each of you has a "gem" in your collection that the rest of us thinks is utter crap.

Please go about your sales and finds business.
Old 12-02-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did not pick up PR when it first came out because I was hoping for a great BF deal.

$6.00 was a great deal.

Also picked up Pitch Perfect on BR, my wife loves the move...it is pretty funny, love the "Throw Up" scenes, it always gets a good laugh from me.

And Monster U to give away as a gift.
Old 12-02-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by ppawuk
To all you Pacific Rim haters: To each your own. I 'm sure each of you has a "gem" in your collection that the rest of us thinks is utter crap.

Please go about your sales and finds business.
Yup, a bargains/sales thread is no place to judge people who enjoyed Pacific Rim and want to add it to their collection.

Keep those criticisms to the Movie Review thread.
Old 12-03-13, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

It's like getting to have sex with a supermodel, but she makes loud donkey braying sounds, screams racist comments, then poops on the bed, but just being happy you got to boink a supermodel.
I'm ok with that. The supermodel is just a bonus!