Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon Countdown to BF Week - Lightning Deals Calendar

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon Countdown to BF Week - Lightning Deals Calendar

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Is it just me, or have the lightning deals been subpar this year? The best deals I've seen at Amazon thus far have been their price-matching of other stores. There's ONE item I may be interested in tomorrow, and maybe one on Thanksgiving day (depending on the time). I hope they're saving the good stuff for Black Friday, cuz so far, it's just bleh.
You are being kind. I got a free trial of Prime for this "event' and so far I've only used it to buy Bewitched S6. At least I can watch some free movies .

The only "good" stuff so far are PM's to BBY and I will give BBY my business any day over Amazon -- for many reasons.
Old 11-26-13, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDGamer
I'm disappointed as well with Amazon this Thanksgiving. Not only with the way they are managing the BF Calendars, but also with the items on sale. The previous 2 years have been great shopping at Amazon, but so far my purchases are other on-line available stores like Best Buy and WB Shop. I guess there is just so much demand that they don't have to do their great sales anymore?
I think that's all the more reason to keep them going. BB and Target are devising "catch up" strategies to get people from shopping on Amazon and it looks to be working.

Unless Amazon matches their deals (or comes very close) for BF, they could take a real hit in sales. While I know that Amazon doesn't make millions and millions on movies, its also quite understood that many people do not buy big ticket items (televisions, major appliances, etc.) on the internet. So, to maintain their market, Amazon has to do big business on items like video games, toys and movies, including during BF.

Lets hope they ramp it up in the next few days. They've done OK, but they could do much better.
Old 11-26-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
The only "good" stuff so far are PM's to BBY and I will give BBY my business any day over Amazon -- for many reasons.
Yep, same here. Now that I pay tax, Amazon has little benefit for me unless they offer better prices. So far, it is an epic fail. BB gives me rewards points, more convenient returns, and I can get the stuff faster when items are available for in-store pickup. Not to mention, I want to try to qualify for Elite status next year, so I need to rack up more BB purchases. I have made ONE Amazon purchase so far since 11/19 (for only $12), whereas I've spent over $600 at BB since then. For me, BB definitely won this year, and BF hasn't even come yet.

On BF, I suspect I'll spend the most at Target. They will likely have some titles I need, plus I have a Redcard discount, and a Prescription Rewards discount. Not to mention, I have 6 Targets in short driving distance from me, so I will likely be able to find everything I want. Plus, I just like going out for BF shopping. It is fun to me. Although the BB line typically sucks, due to severe lack of registers.
Old 11-26-13, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Y'all are some entitled motherfuckers. If I was a massive retailer that sold everything under the sun, which crowd do you think I would pay more attention to: the people interested in buying a TV/laptop/stereo system/housewares/pricey electronic device, or someone who is looking to pick up some cheapo $5/$10 Blu-Rays? If all they do is price-match their competitors so I can stay in and order from my computer, I'm happy.

Also, I just paid $10 for Django Unchained from Amazon a couple of days ago, so I am interested if they're offering it for a lower in a couple of days. Ah well, $10 was still a good price.
Old 11-26-13, 12:56 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Y'all are some entitled motherfuckers. If I was a massive retailer that sold everything under the sun, which crowd do you think I would pay more attention to: the people interested in buying a TV/laptop/stereo system/housewares/pricey electronic device, or someone who is looking to pick up some cheapo $5/$10 Blu-Rays? If all they do is price-match their competitors so I can stay in and order from my computer, I'm happy.

Also, I just paid $10 for Django Unchained from Amazon a couple of days ago, so I am interested if they're offering it for a lower in a couple of days. Ah well, $10 was still a good price.
Well said. Just don't understand all the whining about Amazon not having good prices. They don't HAVE to - its up to them as to how run their business. IF they have a good price, purchase it. If they don't, then move along to another place that has it. They don't HAVE to price match or do any shit like that - its THEIR business and up to them to run the way they want to. Whats with this constant bitching and whining about a retailer not having good prices ? You ain't entitled to a good price until the retailer decides to do so. And this goes for every other retailer as well.
Old 11-26-13, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by GreenVulture

Its not about being entitled; its about effective shopping, which is what this DVDtalk forum site is about.

I'll be the first one to tell you that getting stuff for $105 versus $100 isn't that big of a deal. But, I also would be foolish to pretend to be happy that Amazon is not doing their best quality control/aggressive pricing on items when they have done so in the past.

Amazon was KILLING the retailers during BF week, if not the other 358 days out of the year. And now, they are just doing the ol "ho-hum" thing, at least as it appears.

I, as well as many others, do not expect Amazon to lead the best prices charge on every single item. But, I think its safe to say we do expect them to be in the playing field. And putting up the same merchandise over and over again and offering tier 3 items during holiday LD or weekly promotions isn't going to cut it.

For the first time in at least 3 years, I'm going to BB today to scout for BF and possibly see what is on sale. I never went near any of the retail stores during BF week before now. So, why the change? You can fill in the blank(s) on that. And if I'm doing it, it means a bunch of others are doing it too.
Old 11-26-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Updated the OP with the 11/27 Lightning Deals.
Old 11-26-13, 01:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nobody talks here about being "effective" shoppers. Most do talk with a sense of entitlement - look at the revolt over DeepDiscount. How dare they!

Look at the whining on the Barnes and Noble thread.

Additionally, with each year, physical product is less of a share of sales.
We aren't the norm.

I agree, that the deals don't seem appealing this year, but that doesn't mean there won't be at some point. I also don't get the "I just signed up for the free trial of prime"

Why not buy it? With my standard "2 day shipping" I often get items the next day, plus access to a lot of Prime videos.
Old 11-26-13, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by albert_m
Nobody talks here about being "effective" shoppers. Most do talk with a sense of entitlement - look at the revolt over DeepDiscount. How dare they!

Look at the whining on the Barnes and Noble thread.

Additionally, with each year, physical product is less of a share of sales.
We aren't the norm.

I agree, that the deals don't seem appealing this year, but that doesn't mean there won't be at some point. I also don't get the "I just signed up for the free trial of prime"

Why not buy it? With my standard "2 day shipping" I often get items the next day, plus access to a lot of Prime videos.
That won't fly with many out here. They expect that as soon as they sign up for Prime, Amazon drop BD prices to 1 cent and ship them out with 2 day delivery so that the 'benefit' of Prime is realized - its as if they are doing Amazon a favor by signing up. Jeesus, I swear there are some people on this forum that don't know squat about running a business. No one seems to understand how much it costs to SHIP an item out. Try selling something on the marketplace and shipping it out with the shipping credits you receive - then you will know. Prime is not about enticing you to buy a buncha cheap ass BDs during a month's period, its about how you shop in a year getting stuff for your home - USEFUL stuff that goes beyond BD's and for which you don't have to head out into your car, drive to a retailer and spend gas and time in doing it. Why can't people think beyond that requirement of a buck 5 bluray title ?
Old 11-26-13, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Will update the OP with the 11/28 LDs when Amazon issues a complete list for the day.
Old 11-26-13, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon has been quite aggressive in offering excellent deals on Blu-rays over the past 3-4 years ($20 then $10 Mad Men seasons, anyone?) so to see such lackluster offerings and to be disappointed isn't entitlement, it's disappointment that the tradition has ended.
Old 11-26-13, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
That won't fly with many out here. They expect that as soon as they sign up for Prime, Amazon drop BD prices to 1 cent and ship them out with 2 day delivery so that the 'benefit' of Prime is realized - its as if they are doing Amazon a favor by signing up. Jeesus, I swear there are some people on this forum that don't know squat about running a business. No one seems to understand how much it costs to SHIP an item out. Try selling something on the marketplace and shipping it out with the shipping credits you receive - then you will know. Prime is not about enticing you to buy a buncha cheap ass BDs during a month's period, its about how you shop in a year getting stuff for your home - USEFUL stuff that goes beyond BD's and for which you don't have to head out into your car, drive to a retailer and spend gas and time in doing it. Why can't people think beyond that requirement of a buck 5 bluray title ?
A funny tangent: I had a dvd envelope delivered last night at about 2 in the morning. I'm not sure who they outsourced the shipping to, but that was new to me. Even my cats were like "WTF!"
Old 11-26-13, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Amazon has been quite aggressive in offering excellent deals on Blu-rays over the past 3-4 years ($20 then $10 Mad Men seasons, anyone?) so to see such lackluster offerings and to be disappointed isn't entitlement, it's disappointment that the tradition has ended.
Even Thanksgiving is not done yet. Its still a FULL MONTH to go for Christmas...the best deals to be had are closer to Christmas.
Old 11-26-13, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno. I spent a shit ton last year around this time.
Old 11-26-13, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last year during the week of Thanksgiving was absolutely ripe for savings. Tons of TV shows and boxsets. Best Buy has some good sales this week but it doesn't come close. Part of that is because they don't carry half of the stuff they did last year at this time.

The last "great" Amazon sale for BDs was in 2009 (for me, anyway). That's not to say they haven't had some killer deals inbetween, but for an overall sale it has been awhile.
Old 11-26-13, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Shoppers got very used to Amazon undercutting all other retailers for close to a decade. The gravy train is over and customers are slowly waking up the party is over.
Even Thanksgiving is not done yet. Its still a FULL MONTH to go for Christmas...the best deals to be had are closer to Christmas.
That really hasn't been true in the Internet era. Most retailers have been pushing sales around the week of Black Friday. If anything, prices get jacked up closer to Christmas as shoppers get desperate for any gift.
Old 11-26-13, 03:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That really hasn't been true in the Internet era. Most retailers have been pushing sales around the week of Black Friday. If anything, prices get jacked up closer to Christmas as shoppers get desperate for any gift.
Not necessarily, as retailers are always trying to get the most out of the season - they are more desperate and this year I'm sure you have all seen the stories of retailers whining about the "shorter" holiday season.
Old 11-26-13, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Agreed...the little, oddball things that I get with Prime make it all worth it. I have only one day off a week, so sometimes, it is more convenient for me to order some stuff on Amazon and not have to deal with going out to the store.

Honestly, if Amazon doesn't blow the doors down on media prices this week, I'll be fine with it. I'm sure that someone will take my spending money whether it is them or not, haha.
Old 11-26-13, 07:29 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I picked up "Love Never Dies" for the wife for $10 on BD (it was an LD at 6:20pm CST). It's the sequel to "The Phantom of the Opera."
Old 11-26-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I agree. The deals happen between NOW and the next week. Christmas is basically leftovers, and for some, might be worth a few grabs. However, the better deals overall have been around this time.
Old 11-26-13, 07:49 PM

Even though a lot of good points/arguments have been brought up, let's please keep this thread on topic!
Old 11-26-13, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Last year during the week of Thanksgiving was absolutely ripe for savings. Tons of TV shows and boxsets. Best Buy has some good sales this week but it doesn't come close. Part of that is because they don't carry half of the stuff they did last year at this time.

The last "great" Amazon sale for BDs was in 2009 (for me, anyway). That's not to say they haven't had some killer deals inbetween, but for an overall sale it has been awhile.

Yeh, I was throwin' the dough around and pumped the week of Thanksgiving and then once BF hit, I was let down.

Moral of my story?

If you think your staring at a great buy and it's something you want, buy the damn thing and don't sweat it if it's 10% less come BF

If I would have waiting the past few years on BF I'd have past up so e of the best deals of my life, media wise that is.
Old 11-26-13, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I suspect that Amazon is looking toward a future where they no longer sell physical products. Books, music, and tv/movies will all be digital and streamed to Kindles or other compatible devices. Physical goods like blenders, tools, furniture, and electronics will be sold through the marketplace by third party sellers.

Then Amazon won't need to own warehouses or pay out shipping charges. The physical goods they'll need to warehouse and ship themselves will be Kindles.
Old 11-27-13, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I suspect that Amazon is looking toward a future where they no longer sell physical products. Books, music, and tv/movies will all be digital and streamed to Kindles or other compatible devices. Physical goods like blenders, tools, furniture, and electronics will be sold through the marketplace by third party sellers.

Then Amazon won't need to own warehouses or pay out shipping charges. The physical goods they'll need to warehouse and ship themselves will be Kindles.
Amazon is currently investing hundreds of millions of dollars in building a vast warehouse network that can same/next day deliver to a huge percent of cities in North America and Europe.... Their plan is exactly the opposite - they plan on selling a lot more physical items even more quickly than today
Old 11-27-13, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Amazon going entirely digital would be financial suicide; that plan might have a shot at succeeding if Netflix and iTunes decide to go out of business tomorrow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.