Reload this Page >

Amazon Countdown to BF Week - Lightning Deals Calendar

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon Countdown to BF Week - Lightning Deals Calendar

Old 11-22-13, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Countdown to BF Week - Lightning Deals Calendar

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Don't forget that, if you haven't already abused the thing to death (or it's been awhile since the last trial), you can sign up for a free month of Prime
I've been looking for that trial, and I'm not seeing it. Maybe I've used it too often.

Is it simply supposed to appear in your account, or is there a link?
Old 11-23-13, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Updated the OP with 11/25 - 11/26 Lightning Deals.
Old 11-23-13, 11:10 AM

Damn I really hope that 1) the deals get better than this and 2) a full calendar comes out with prices.
Old 11-23-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

The lightning deals for Monday look rather "blah"...same movies up for sale year after year, it seems.
Old 11-23-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Amazon isn't trying very hard on these deals. The current deal for the Jackson Five: The Completed Animated Series BD is actually more than what many third-party merchants have it for on Amazon Marketplace.
Old 11-23-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What was the Before Midnight price?
Old 11-23-13, 04:57 PM

$18.99
Old 11-23-13, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sandman007
Hover over the $3.96 section of the ad
Click on "View Details" from the popup
Click on "Learn More"
That will get you to the $3.96 section with 89 titles and Cloud Atlas should be on the list
I see what you are saying, but I'll believe that CA will be 3.96 when I see it.
Old 11-23-13, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Randy Hassan
I've been looking for that trial, and I'm not seeing it. Maybe I've used it too often.

Is it simply supposed to appear in your account, or is there a link?
Once upon a time I read that the trials had to be 18 months apart. I think when you're eligible, it's pretty hard to avoid them when you're signed in because before I had Prime they were all over my cart or if I tried to check out.
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Amazon isn't trying very hard on these deals. The current deal for the Jackson Five: The Completed Animated Series BD is actually more than what many third-party merchants have it for on Amazon Marketplace.
I take the blame for this. By signing up for Prime with the $59 deal, I guaranteed that there would be squat worth ordering this BF week (at least for me). Remember, Amazon bases their sales and prices on my purchasing habits. They are tied into me somehow... must be a wireless implant shared by the various retailers. ;-)

Seriously though... is this how Amazon is doing the LD calendar for BF? In previous years they had them laid out like a calendar from left to right (I happened to like that format), and you got Monday through Monday morning all at once (and the prices for the upcoming day).

If this is our LD calendar now, there are no prices until the deal hits and it only goes a few days ahead. I took a quick glance at the remaining ones and I don't think there's a single thing I'd be interested in. What a pathetic set of LD deals if the deals for the 25th and 26th are "it". It makes 2012's rather weak LDs look awesome in comparison (and 2012 was weak compared to 2011).

We all know that Amazon is a follower rather than a leader for at least a couple years now. We all know they aren't trying very hard, but this is worse than not trying. It's almost like a joke. The majority of the LD are DVDs (ewww!) and the few that aren't are BDs I got cheap ages ago or have no interest in. I wonder why Amazon even bothers with BF if they are going to make a mockery of it.
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The lightning deals for Monday look rather "blah"...same movies up for sale year after year, it seems.
I think we're all noticing that. They're doing an impersonation of Fry's Electronics... same old stuff for the same old prices. :-)
Old 11-23-13, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
Once upon a time I read that the trials had to be 18 months apart. I think when you're eligible, it's pretty hard to avoid them when you're signed in because before I had Prime they were all over my cart or if I tried to check out.

I take the blame for this. By signing up for Prime with the $59 deal, I guaranteed that there would be squat worth ordering this BF week (at least for me). Remember, Amazon bases their sales and prices on my purchasing habits. They are tied into me somehow... must be a wireless implant shared by the various retailers. ;-)

Seriously though... is this how Amazon is doing the LD calendar for BF? In previous years they had them laid out like a calendar from left to right (I happened to like that format), and you got Monday through Monday morning all at once (and the prices for the upcoming day).

If this is our LD calendar now, there are no prices until the deal hits and it only goes a few days ahead. I took a quick glance at the remaining ones and I don't think there's a single thing I'd be interested in. What a pathetic set of LD deals if the deals for the 25th and 26th are "it". It makes 2012's rather weak LDs look awesome in comparison (and 2012 was weak compared to 2011).

We all know that Amazon is a follower rather than a leader for at least a couple years now. We all know they aren't trying very hard, but this is worse than not trying. It's almost like a joke. The majority of the LD are DVDs (ewww!) and the few that aren't are BDs I got cheap ages ago or have no interest in. I wonder why Amazon even bothers with BF if they are going to make a mockery of it.

I think we're all noticing that. They're doing an impersonation of Fry's Electronics... same old stuff for the same old prices. :-)
I have 3 accounts (that i've had for years. I think I used them 10 or so years ago to use coupons more than once). Anyway, every year, at least one of these accounts will offer Prime and I just rotate it. I never do the free Prime thing except right before BF. I have been watching a bunch of fee movies, so it's not all bad.

Really, except for FoxConnect and some WB deals, nothing is really happening yet ANYWHERE.

Anyway, I expect some deals to pop up. Amazon is always slow at the beginning and then some good stuff pops up --- a few that are not even PMs. I do agree about the calendar though. It's a PITA the way they are doing it, but most of us will be glued to the computer for the next week any way. Last year I got up early every day and the only deal it really mattered on was the Sears.com $8 3d Disney BDs. But I'm sure to do it again. I almost wish this week were already over.
Old 11-23-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like there's a small error in the original post. For 11/25 it says:

Starts 8:20pm PST(11:20pm EST):
Glee: The Concert Movie (DVD)

But what's actually on the calendar is Glee: The Concert Movie (Blu-ray/DVD + Digital Copy) (2011)
Old 11-24-13, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
It looks like there's a small error in the original post. For 11/25 it says:

Starts 8:20pm PST(11:20pm EST):
Glee: The Concert Movie (DVD)

But what's actually on the calendar is Glee: The Concert Movie (Blu-ray/DVD + Digital Copy) (2011)
Thanks for pointing this out. Have updated the OP.
Old 11-25-13, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Last year I got up early every day and the only deal it really mattered on was the Sears.com $8 3d Disney BDs. But I'm sure to do it again. I almost wish this week were already over.
I remember that deal. They had Brave 3D, 1 or 2 Tinkerbell 3D movies, and something else in 3D for $8. I ordered 2 (because I already had the other 2) and it tooks weeks, but I finally got them after having to bug them. I doubt that'll happen again. This year it's looking pretty sad. I only plan to go to Walmart, Target, Gamestop, FYE and maybe Big Lots this BF, but then I haven't checked the ads yet. If I get any good BD scores they'll most likely be from Walmart or Target. I'm not expecting anything else.

I keep checking Amazon's LD calendar a few times per day, but I haven't bothered to set notes or alarms because so far every deal I've seen has been crappy. When I had free Prime trials in the past, every day I ordered at least a couple things. Now that I paid $59 for Prime (though not just for BF) I have ordered NOTHING so far. Cynic that I am, I hate to say it... but I will quote Lando "this deal keeps getting worse all the time" meaning every year the BF deals get worse, IMHO.
Old 11-25-13, 01:24 PM

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but Monsters University and Arrow blu-rays will both be lightning deals on the 28th according to their Amazon page.
Old 11-25-13, 01:43 PM

Where did you see that?
Old 11-26-13, 07:18 AM

...so did this link stop working for anyone else?
Old 11-26-13, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am super disappointed with the way LDs are being handled this year compared to past ones. Instead of having the prices and items so we can schedule when we need to around a computer, it's been the most lackluster titles which we need to check in to see what the deal will be, because the anticipation over what Trouble with the Curve will cost is half of the fun. Pffft. I wish Amazon would just match the stores' prices and get it over with. One year I had 95% of my BF shopping done before going to Thanksgiving dinner.
Old 11-26-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
I am super disappointed with the way LDs are being handled this year compared to past ones. Instead of having the prices and items so we can schedule when we need to around a computer, it's been the most lackluster titles which we need to check in to see what the deal will be, because the anticipation over what Trouble with the Curve will cost is half of the fun. Pffft. I wish Amazon would just match the stores' prices and get it over with. One year I had 95% of my BF shopping done before going to Thanksgiving dinner.
Agreed. I would like to pick up The Last of Us(PS3) and Wal-Mart will have it for $25. Amazon has it listed on the video games BF calendar, but no price. They could very well just be pm'ing Best Buy. Now I got to decide if I want to brave it on Thursday or not.
Old 11-26-13, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vietduckboi
Damn you guys convinced me to cancel my order for Cloud Atlas.

Cloud Atlas (BD/DVD/UV) is $8.79 at wbshop.com.

http://www.wbshop.com/product/1000281102.do

Amazon will likely match but if this is all you want, WBSHOP is free shipping on BD/DVDs... no minimum.
Old 11-26-13, 09:14 AM

The Movies & TVs calendar was the only calendar that wasn't for the entire week. I don't get it.
Old 11-26-13, 10:45 AM

The November 27th and 28th LDs are up (the calendar is back). While the first post in the tread hasn't been updated yet, here is the link in lieu.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=XS12_BF_...d_i=2921749011

Some notable BDs present for 11/27 deals:

Schindler's List
Eden of the East (Complete Series)
Four Feathers (Criterion Collection)
Chronicle/Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Two Pack)
Planet of the Apes Collection (Three Newer Films)
Broken City/Max Payne (Two Pack)

Some notable BDs present for 11/28 deals:

Prometheus
Now You See Me
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Hunger Games
Treme (Season 1 and 2?)
Old 11-26-13, 11:25 AM

I'm disappointed as well with Amazon this Thanksgiving. Not only with the way they are managing the BF Calendars, but also with the items on sale. The previous 2 years have been great shopping at Amazon, but so far my purchases are other on-line available stores like Best Buy and WB Shop. I guess there is just so much demand that they don't have to do their great sales anymore?
Old 11-26-13, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by ijmsport
the november 27th and 28th lds are up (the calendar is back). While the first post in the tread hasn't been updated yet, here is the link in lieu.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=xs12_bf_...d_i=2921749011
Based on those choices, looks like I'll be saving money this year.
Old 11-26-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it just me, or have the lightning deals been subpar this year? The best deals I've seen at Amazon thus far have been their price-matching of other stores. There's ONE item I may be interested in tomorrow, and maybe one on Thanksgiving day (depending on the time). I hope they're saving the good stuff for Black Friday, cuz so far, it's just bleh.
Old 11-26-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IJMSPORT
The November 27th and 28th LDs are up (the calendar is back). While the first post in the tread hasn't been updated yet, here is the link in lieu.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=XS12_BF_...d_i=2921749011

Some notable BDs present for 11/27 deals:

Schindler's List
Eden of the East (Complete Series)
Four Feathers (Criterion Collection)
Chronicle/Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Two Pack)
Planet of the Apes Collection (Three Newer Films)
Broken City/Max Payne (Two Pack)

Some notable BDs present for 11/28 deals:

Prometheus
Now You See Me
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Hunger Games
Treme (Season 1 and 2?)
Wow, that's an awfully crappy list. I already have the one's I'm interested in.

I realized I haven't bought any Lightning Deals from Amazon for a few years now. The Bond 50 set was $99.99 last BF. There's nothing even close to that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.