Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon Countdown to BF Week - Lightning Deals Calendar

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Amazon Countdown to BF Week - Lightning Deals Calendar

I'm in the hunt for a new TV this year (60 inch or possibly bigger) Does anybody know from previous years if Amazon is pretty competitive with their pricing compared to the big box stores? There is no way I can justify spending my Thanksgiving away from my family so I can camp outside a Wal-Mart or Target just to save a couple hundred bucks.
Old 11-15-13, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Amazon is pretty good about doing some lightning deals for TVs and such.
Never really noticed if they will just randomly drop prices on bigger items like that though...especially since then not many would likely notice that.

I almost sprung for a new 32'' for my bedroom last year that was a lightning deal but decided my CRT I bought in 2005/2006 is still plenty good, especially since it is a flat screen and I could find a better use for the money.
Old 11-15-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I'm in the hunt for a new TV this year (60 inch or possibly bigger) Does anybody know from previous years if Amazon is pretty competitive with their pricing compared to the big box stores? There is no way I can justify spending my Thanksgiving away from my family so I can camp outside a Wal-Mart or Target just to save a couple hundred bucks.
Amazon typically does random tv deals that sell out very fast, like in thirty minutes.
Old 11-16-13, 01:13 AM

Does anyone have any insight on possible deals for Breaking Bad? I just started the first season and love it. Would really like to pick up the rest of the series!
Old 11-16-13, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right now Best Buy has S2 & 3 of Breaking Bad for $14.99 and S4 & 5 for $19.99. All Blu. It might go lower, but those seem like decent prices to me.
Old 11-16-13, 02:49 AM

The prices for BB seasons 1-4 suck. They were running a B1G1 promo for them late last year at the same price. While I don't expect the last episodes to be cheap, if you wait, even until BF, you will do better.
Old 11-16-13, 06:10 AM

I'm thinking they do a Mad Men special circa 2011 with Breaking Bad. $10 per BR, $7 per DVD season. Amazon will sell them out in about 45 seconds so gotta be swift.
Old 11-16-13, 07:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is already here on Thursday. Multiple stores opening between 5 and 7 Thanksgiving evening.
Correct and I'm saying that it will inevitably creep earlier into TH than is happening this year.
Old 11-16-13, 07:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

But most stores will have decent TV sales that weekend and beyond. I don't see the hours wasted for the couple TVs for doorbuster sales as worth it when good deals can be had just by walking in the store that weekend or in December or by Internet.
Old 11-16-13, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Right now Best Buy has S2 & 3 of Breaking Bad for $14.99 and S4 & 5 for $19.99. All Blu. It might go lower, but those seem like decent prices to me.
Last year, right around this time, I got seasons 1 and 2 for $12 total as part of a BOGO sale at Best Buy.
Old 11-16-13, 11:00 AM

Looks like I'll wait it out for a good deal on BB. Thanks for the tips!
Old 11-17-13, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Updated the OP. Lightning Deals for 11/18 & 19.
Old 11-17-13, 06:18 AM

Might be in for For a Good Time, Call... (BD), thanks OP!
Old 11-17-13, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joltman
Last year, right around this time, I got seasons 1 and 2 for $12 total as part of a BOGO sale at Best Buy.

Me too, also got S3 and S4 similarly cheap and it was my first exposure to the show. So glad I got caught up before the final 8 episodes. Of course, now I have to wonder if I should double dip when the series "barrel" set comes out with all the extras...
Old 11-17-13, 11:27 PM

Someone in another thread mentioned they'd guess Man of Steel would be a prime candidate for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales...

Are 3D Blu-rays usually included in such sales though? I'm new to shopping for them.

Basically I'm interested in picking up both Man of Steel & Pacific Rim 3D Blu-rays & they are priced at $25 & $30 respectively on Amazon right now. Not sure if I should just pick them up now or wait for any sales in the next few weeks.

I know it's pure speculation but any insight or educated guesses would be appreciated!
Old 11-17-13, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyp4
Someone in another thread mentioned they'd guess Man of Steel would be a prime candidate for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales...

Are 3D Blu-rays usually included in such sales though? I'm new to shopping for them.
No, 3D Blu-rays are rarely included for Black Friday specials. Too few consumers buy them to really drive traffic to stores and many stores carry very sparse stocks of 3D discs to begin with.

I would not bank on 3D editions being on massive sale on those days. Your better bet is probably after Christmas, when retailers want to get rid of expensive and bulky stock.
Old 11-18-13, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Added The Internship / The Big Year to the OP for 8:20am PST(11:20 EST).

The thing here is it does not appear in the deals calendar, but it does as 1 of the lightning deals!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox
Old 11-18-13, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuck yeah, Strike Back S2 will be mine if the price is right
Old 11-18-13, 08:30 AM

Basically I'm interested in picking up both Man of Steel & Pacific Rim 3D Blu-rays & they are priced at $25 & $30 respectively on Amazon right now. Not sure if I should just pick them up now or wait for any sales in the next few weeks.

I know it's pure speculation but any insight or educated guesses would be appreciated!
Yes you can find 3D BD for around $15, But not necessarily on BF. it is around Christmas. I bought a bunch of them last year. Not sure if the movies you mentioned may be part of the deal.
Old 11-18-13, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bacigalup
Added The Internship / The Big Year to the OP for 8:20am PST(11:20 EST).

The thing here is it does not appear in the deals calendar, but it does as 1 of the lightning deals!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox
And for whatever reason, looks like it was removed
Old 11-18-13, 12:26 PM

Will Amazon leak the actual Black Friday Calendar like in the years past? That was extremely helpful in planning purchases
Old 11-18-13, 12:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Anybody know when they announce the actual Black Friday prices? I can't remember.
Old 11-18-13, 12:53 PM

+1 to both of the above posts
Old 11-18-13, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
No, 3D Blu-rays are rarely included for Black Friday specials. Too few consumers buy them to really drive traffic to stores and many stores carry very sparse stocks of 3D discs to begin with.

I would not bank on 3D editions being on massive sale on those days. Your better bet is probably after Christmas, when retailers want to get rid of expensive and bulky stock.
Last year Amazon had a number of 3D sets on sale during Black Friday week. Looking at my order history, I bought Prometheus, Titanic, Polar Express and Tintin for around $13 each. The price for those sets is now in the $25-35 range, so that still seems like a pretty good deal.

So to the OP ... yes, there is certainly a possibility the recent 3D Blus you're interested in could be on sale.
Old 11-18-13, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a real deal on strike back wouldve been $15.99, not $21.99

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.