Amazon Countdown to BF Week - Lightning Deals Calendar

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon Countdown to BF Week - Lightning Deals Calendar

Old 11-29-13, 10:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Amazon Countdown to BF Week - Lightning Deals Calendar

Originally Posted by slinkster65
Since Die Hard was brought up, are they ever going to release the unrated version of the 4th on Blu? Or did I miss when they did?
Never did, more than likely never will.
Old 11-29-13, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Amazon yanked the Bond 50 set that was supposed to be a 3:20 am (DC time) Lightning Deal. I find the way they've handled the BF week scheduling to be extremely frustrating. Was having a calendar too convenient so they had to make shopping more annoying?
Haven't bought a single thing during their awesome sale. Overall, I think I'm just tired of all the friggin' Black Friday emails I got over the last week.
Old 11-29-13, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me or did they pull Sherlock S1 on Blu out?
Old 11-29-13, 11:49 PM
Banned by request

They pulled Sherlock S1 out. How odd.
Old 11-30-13, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trespoochies
"Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

So a couple people complained about the copies they got and apparently they have to review their entire inventory. It was like this on Thursday. Here we are Saturday morning and they still haven't pulled the inventory to check. How convenient.

It really ticks me off. They should have allowed the sales to go through and then just fulfill them once they got the inventory checked.
Old 11-30-13, 12:24 AM
Banned by request

It went under review on Thursday? Yet they kept it on the Lightning Deal page until just a couple of hours ago. Something smells...and it's not my dinner this time.
Old 11-30-13, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was really looking forward to both sets! How convenient for them.
Old 11-30-13, 01:09 AM
Banned by request

It went under review on Thursday? Yet they kept it on the Lightning Deal page until just a couple of hours ago. Something smells...and it's not my dinner this time.
Damn holiday, Thursday was just yesterday. Still, it just feels like something is up. I don't ever recall them doing stuff like this before.
Old 11-30-13, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bunch of Criterions on Sunday:

Shallow Grave $17.99
Carlos $20.89
Quadrophenia $17.49
12 Angry Men $17.89
Samurai Trilogy $28.49
Fanny and Alexander $24.99
Weekend $17.99

Of course they could all disappear...
Old 11-30-13, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 582 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Amazon yanked the Bond 50 set that was supposed to be a 3:20 am (DC time) Lightning Deal. I find the way they've handled the BF week scheduling to be extremely frustrating. Was having a calendar too convenient so they had to make shopping more annoying?
It's now the Deal of the Day at $99.99, which means more people will at least be able to get it.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EK6RM92
Old 11-30-13, 04:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brian T
It's now the Deal of the Day at $99.99, which means more people will at least be able to get it.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EK6RM92
Already have from the 50% off FoxConnect Sale (grrr...could have used for something else), but does anyone remember when they had it last year as a Saturday DOD and it sold out by mid-day (or mid-morning)? There was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth by the folks who delayed. Now they'll get a second chance, and this time it includes Skyfall.

Hoping Cyber Monday will see some of those phantom TV BD deals that WM advertised but few could find (Person of Interest, Nikita), but I doubt it. Might be some odd items or repeats of a few from last week.
Old 11-30-13, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Updated OP with 12/01 Lightning Deals
Old 11-30-13, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
"Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

So a couple people complained about the copies they got and apparently they have to review their entire inventory. It was like this on Thursday. Here we are Saturday morning and they still haven't pulled the inventory to check. How convenient.

It really ticks me off. They should have allowed the sales to go through and then just fulfill them once they got the inventory checked.
Originally Posted by DVD.guy
I was really looking forward to both sets! How convenient for them.
Blame a few bad apples, not Amazon on this is the way I see it. Most likely, here's what happened. Some people ordered this item. THEN they noticed that it was an upcoming deal. Then they decided to return the item, conveniently blaming the item as defective so they wouldn't have to pay the cost of the return. Then Amazon sees big bump of returns on a relatively small volume item and they think it's the product or their packing of the item and they suspend it until it can be evaluated.

Nobody forced Amazon to put it on sale. They wanted to. So, no, it wasn't convenient for them at all.
Old 11-30-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Chuck, Fringe and Millennium completes will be tempting.
Old 11-30-13, 09:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted the Sherlock sets too, but I'm not starting with Season 2, so it was a pass. The only thing I see that I want today is the Red vs Blue 10 season set, but that's 2:20 in the freaking morning. No way with Sunday being tomorrow.
Old 11-30-13, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by ctyankee
Blame a few bad apples, not Amazon on this is the way I see it. Most likely, here's what happened. Some people ordered this item. THEN they noticed that it was an upcoming deal. Then they decided to return the item, conveniently blaming the item as defective so they wouldn't have to pay the cost of the return. Then Amazon sees big bump of returns on a relatively small volume item and they think it's the product or their packing of the item and they suspend it until it can be evaluated.

Nobody forced Amazon to put it on sale. They wanted to. So, no, it wasn't convenient for them at all.
The returns rate is an excellent point, and certainly possible. Not to mention, Thursday was a holiday, and people are here complaining about Amazon not checking their inventory at a time when they're also moving huge volumes out the door. These might be some of the same people petitioning stores not to offer sales on Thanksgiving Day because of the inhumanity of it.

I know it's disappointing not to get a deal, but this is a complicated promotion when you're dealing with physical inventory. Maybe the studio failed to deliver stock or something. It's like the person in the other thread complaining to CS about something that was in the calendar that never appeared. Things happen. And I agree that Amazon doesn't really have anything to gain by advertising a deal then pulling it. But people are welcome to have conspiracy theories.
Old 11-30-13, 10:26 AM

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Alternative for those looking for Sherlock seasons. Barnes/Noble will apparently be having a 50% off sale next week and a 50% British TV on 12/10 then a 40% off all Movies/TV 12/17 through Christmas. MRSP on the sets is $40 so that's a $20 sale.
..hm? ALL movies and TV - so all DVDs and Blu-rays..? Interesting...
Old 11-30-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Was considering a blind buy on the Borgias, but not at $65.
Old 11-30-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if it went under review on Thursday. That's just the day I noticed it. The point is it was under review when they added it to the calendar but decided to not honor it in the end.
Old 11-30-13, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the Fringe complete set on Blu-Ray worth upgrading if you already have the DVDs? I mean, is it like Firefly where the picture quality between the two is vastly different or are they from the same transfers? And what about terms of bonus features?
Old 11-30-13, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
The returns rate is an excellent point, and certainly possible. Not to mention, Thursday was a holiday, and people are here complaining about Amazon not checking their inventory at a time when they're also moving huge volumes out the door. These might be some of the same people petitioning stores not to offer sales on Thanksgiving Day because of the inhumanity of it.

I know it's disappointing not to get a deal, but this is a complicated promotion when you're dealing with physical inventory. Maybe the studio failed to deliver stock or something. It's like the person in the other thread complaining to CS about something that was in the calendar that never appeared. Things happen. And I agree that Amazon doesn't really have anything to gain by advertising a deal then pulling it. But people are welcome to have conspiracy theories.
I, for one, would not petition any store open on Thanksgiving day. That's their right if they want to that, and it's the consumers right to choose if they want to shop or not. As for those decrying the fall of family values or something like that, I say focus on your own family!

But in regards to the issue with Sherlock season 1... I had issues with Futurama Vol 5 on Blu-Ray coming crushed in the box. After two returns back and forth amazon.com pulled the item from their website and put it under review. Now I am not saying I am the sole customer who caused it to happen, but I would bet other people complained about crushed boxes, too.

The point is that if it's under review it's for return reasons, whether justified or not (as in people seeing it on a lightning deal coming up.) They don't put an item under review if it's just not in stock from the supplier.

I still think they should have honored the sales and shipped the product once it was back in stock. I snagged Dredd for $6.99 and that was out of stock but they honored the price and will mail it to me separately. They could have done the same for Sherlock.
Old 11-30-13, 12:42 PM

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Can someone with a hovering mouse pointer please tell me how much either Fringe set is expected to be tomorrow, please..?
Old 11-30-13, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
can someone with a hovering mouse pointer please tell me how much either fringe set is expected to be tomorrow, please..?
The BD set will be $73.99

The DVD set will be $59.89
Old 11-30-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Chuck, Fringe and Millennium completes will be tempting.
I bought Millennium just a couple days ago for my Mom. Hasn't shipped, so seeing this deal is very welcome to me (saves me $20+). I'm probably in for a couple of the Criterions too.
Old 11-30-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by calhoun07
The point is that if it's under review it's for return reasons, whether justified or not (as in people seeing it on a lightning deal coming up.) They don't put an item under review if it's just not in stock from the supplier.

I still think they should have honored the sales and shipped the product once it was back in stock. I snagged Dredd for $6.99 and that was out of stock but they honored the price and will mail it to me separately. They could have done the same for Sherlock.
No, stock wouldn't affect the buy button getting pulled (as was apparently the case with Sherlock) but it might affect a LD getting pulled (other deals like the one in the other thread). We won't know what really happened here, but there's a big difference between out of stock and defective. Selling high volumes of product that might be defective and may not be fixed and shipping for a while could also be a bad customer experience.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.