Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

B&N 50% Criterion blu-ray sale November 5 through December 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-13, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: B&N 50% Criterion blu-ray sale November 5 through December 2

Y'know, "delicious" is probably not a particularly sensitive term to use regarding a brutal film about the Holocaust.
Old 11-29-13, 09:59 PM

40% off worked for me today. Got Seven Samurai for $13.49 before tax with member 10% as well. Took cashier about a minute to read the coupon and figure out what to do, they said there were a lot of different coupons today. The only hiccup was that i was asked to confirm the last name on the member account I used. It's a family members, so not a problem, but that hasn't happened to me before, and I've been doing this for a few years now.
Old 11-29-13, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

40% off worked for me too. Initially, the clerk got confused with the 30% off coupon which is 706501. But then I just told him the 40% off code and he manually entered it and I got the discount. Got Fanny and Alexander for $16.80 out the door. I'm debating whether or not to use another 30% off tomorrow to pick up a few older CC that I've neglected to pick up.
Old 11-30-13, 07:35 AM

How'd you get the 40% to work in-store? I don't see a print coupon for that (just the 30%)... do you just go in with the code and tell them the 706511 code?
Old 11-30-13, 07:54 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I used the link Laser provided to show the cashier. It worked.
Old 11-30-13, 08:11 AM

Cool, thanks!
Old 11-30-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got it to work once in-store, but the cashier was a complete ass. He didn't want to try it at first, insisting that they don't have more than 30% off. He kept saying "your coupon doesn't say 40% off anywhere" and I kept saying, "yes, it says it right here." After he finally rung it up, and of course it worked, he didn't say a word. He just gave me the total. But because he had just used my phone for the coupon, I'm fumbling to find my eGift card. But he was really rushing me along. So I figured I'd give in, and give him my B&N MC. But I handed him the wrong gold colored card. I noticed immediately and said "no, wait, I gave you the wrong card" but he proceeded to swipe it, and completed the transaction. I asked him if he could return it, and re-ring it, after he assisted the woman behind me.

He completed her transaction, and by that point I had found my eGift card, but he started putting up a hissy fit for having to re-do my transaction. He kept tossing my BD on the counter, and making a noise like he was annoyed. Then he said "I probably couldn't use your coupon again, if I return it." I said "It isn't a one-time use coupon, so you should be able to." He replied "most of our coupons are one-time use, so you may not be able to use it again." I told him I'll take my chances. Then he said "I can't return it anyway if it was bought the same day." So I said, "well, could you ask a supervisor." He proceeded to throw another hissy fit. But as he picked up the phone to call for a supervisor, it occurred to me that the supervisor may put a nix on the 40% coupon, so I just told him to forget it. Well, at least I got 40% off, but I really didn't want to add any more charges to my c/c. I went a little too crazy this BF week...
Old 11-30-13, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^

Your B&N Criterion experience is now complete. It wouldn't be complete without at least one encounter with an uptight cashier(pardon me, bookseller).
Old 11-30-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Anyone else foreseeing problems with some of these discs in the Zatoichi set? The very first dvd I pulled out had an assortment of scuff marks and the first blu ray had a scratch as well. I'm not as worried as much about the scuff marks as the scratch as dvds are more forgiving than bds are. Will Criterion take care of these disc problems or are they counting on us to return the whole set to the store and exchange it for another set while hoping to get a scratch free set? I like the packaging but really wish they could have put these discs on some sort of holder instead of in these paper pockets.
Old 11-30-13, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
^

Your B&N Criterion experience is now complete. It wouldn't be complete without at least one encounter with an uptight cashier(pardon me, bookseller).
ROTFL.....well said.
Old 11-30-13, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Made the 45 mile trip (one-way) to my nearest B&N, armed with multiple copies of the 40% and 30% coupons, plus a $5 off $50 coupon. I called earlier and knew they didn't have the Z set, so I did a ship-to-home order. During checkout they took the 40% coupon without an issue, but for some reason the $5 off wouldn't apply. I didn't want to push things, since the person next to him was questioning the use of a coupon on the Z set. In the end, I got it for $67. I then went to the media section and got Tokyo Story with a 40% coupon + 10% member discount. I also picked up The Complete Beatles Recordings (hardcover) for $3.50 (marked @ 50% off, plus the 40% and 10% discounts). A worthwhile trip
Old 11-30-13, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the first time in two years that I had a membership(2 month trial membership). Because of that, I only bought a couple of titles during the last couple of B&N sales. I went a little crazy to catch up. Final haul---

Heaven's Gate
Spy Who Came in from the Cold
Repo Man
Eyes Without a Face
Yojimbo/Sanjuro Set
Life and Times of Colonel Blimp
Uninvited
On the Waterfront
Seconds
Following
Sansho the Bailiff
Tokyo Story
Ministry of Fear
Zatoichi

and a couple of non-Criterions---

Nosferatu
La Grande Illusion
From Up on Poppy Hill

All for around $275(bought 4 $75 gift cards, so I'll have another $40 to spend after Christmas).
Old 12-01-13, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Anyone else foreseeing problems with some of these discs in the Zatoichi set? The very first dvd I pulled out had an assortment of scuff marks and the first blu ray had a scratch as well. I'm not as worried as much about the scuff marks as the scratch as dvds are more forgiving than bds are. Will Criterion take care of these disc problems or are they counting on us to return the whole set to the store and exchange it for another set while hoping to get a scratch free set? I like the packaging but really wish they could have put these discs on some sort of holder instead of in these paper pockets.
All nine of the blus in my set had blemishes on them that wouldn't wipe away, though only one disc has enough of one that I'm concerned about it. The dvds however were littered with scuffs, thankfully I have no real need for them. The packaging, while very nice looking, is far from practical in terms of safe storage.
Old 12-01-13, 04:11 PM

I used the 40% coupon a second time this weekend, on Fanny and Alexander, and it magically turned into a 30% coupon, so i got it for less than $20 w/tax. In one of the threads I read that this happened to someone using it online, but I haven't read about this happening to anyone in store. I went to a different store and the only thing the same in both transactions was same member # and same gift card for payment. This happen to anyone else?
Old 12-01-13, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Someone earlier reported something similar, but most folks have gotten Multiple 40% discounts -- I suspect when the clerk went to enter the % they hit 30 instead of 40 since they've likely seen a lot of the 30's all weekned.
That.

That's what happened to me - she presumed it was the same code she'd been entering all weekend.
Old 12-01-13, 07:51 PM

This almost happened to me the first time, but I had to correct the guy and got the 40% off. At the other B&N location I went to, something even weirder happened and he somehow OVER-applied it? With the 50% sale off, 10% membership off, and 40% coupon off, The Spy Who Came In From the Cold ended up at $10.79 for me. That's just wrong.

And, weirder, the Studio Canal Ran (which was 50% off from the "art house" sale) should have been around $9, but I was charged around $12.50 for it. I didn't care, as the two evened out.

But it is clear that B&N has a moronic system for these kinds of coupons -- leaving it up to the "bookseller" to type in the specific amount off seems a system ripe for abuse or error.
Old 12-01-13, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by crikey
At the other B&N location I went to, something even weirder happened and he somehow OVER-applied it? With the 50% sale off, 10% membership off, and 40% coupon off, The Spy Who Came In From the Cold ended up at $10.79 for me. That's just wrong.
No, that is actually exactly correct.
Old 12-01-13, 09:08 PM

Weird, I thought I did the math and yes, you're right. Silly me. I got overcharged on Ran, but don't know why, unless the "art house" deal wasn't in effect in store? Not worth quibbling over $3.50.
Old 12-01-13, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by crikey
Weird, I thought I did the math and yes, you're right. Silly me. I got overcharged on Ran, but don't know why, unless the "art house" deal wasn't in effect in store? Not worth quibbling over $3.50.
This happened to me instore with Ran also. The price before coupon was around $13.49 and I was expecting $9.99. Didn't catch it until later.
Old 12-01-13, 11:20 PM

Any chance the sale will be extended beyond tomorrow so we can get Nashville and Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion? Amazon's prices on them are horrible.
Old 12-02-13, 12:41 AM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

party's officially over. was a great sale - what with those wild coupons and all. dunno what the odds are for the next 50% off Criterion sale with an active 40% off coupon - anything under 40% seems too expensive after this round :-) thanks again to Laser and everyone that helped out generously with coupons and their suggestions. there's always strength in numbers
Old 12-02-13, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
party's officially over. was a great sale - what with those wild coupons and all. dunno what the odds are for the next 50% off Criterion sale with an active 40% off coupon - anything under 40% seems too expensive after this round :-)
Slim, very slim...! I think even 20% is optimistic... Maybe next year there'll be another 30%.
Old 12-02-13, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was at a B&N store that had gotten rid of their media department a couple of years ago. They do stock a few Blu-rays. I was lucky enough to get a cashier that would take the $8 off coupon on a $39.99 title. Babette's Feast for $9.99 plus tax makes a nice capper to this edition of the sale.
Old 12-02-13, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I was at a B&N store that had gotten rid of their media department a couple of years ago. They do stock a few Blu-rays. I was lucky enough to get a cashier that would take the $8 off coupon on a $39.99 title. Babette's Feast for $9.99 plus tax makes a nice capper to this edition of the sale.
Good job! I tried for $8 and $5 (separately and together) on the Rossellini/Bergman set, and as neither would take with the 40%, a manager came over, read all the coupons and politely said they wouldn't work together...

..but, despite "once per person" on the 40%, he said it was fine to put single titles through separately and buy as many as I liked! Which was a nice consolation.
Old 12-02-13, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Grabbed four more last-minute titles tonight and that's it for me. I was really lucky this year to get some beyond generous cashiers who allowed multiple transactions and use of every coupon without hesitation. Thanks to the 30%, 40% and even the $8 off $40, I was able to get all my $39.99 and $29.99 titles for $10 and change:

Two-Lane Blacktop
The Ice Storm
The Uninvited
Three Outlaw Samurai
Ministry of Fear
Tokyo Drifter
Traffic
Shallow Grave
The Man Who Knew Too Much
The Thin Red Line
Safety Last
Slacker
Naked Lunch

Also scored a couple from the Art House sale cheap:

Nosferatu ($10)
Heavenly Creatures ($3 and change)

And the icing on the cake was getting the Zatoichi set for $60 after the 40% and $5 off $50. Helluva deal.

BTW, I don't think I ever officially apologized to Laser for unintentionally using the 30% before it was intended to be used. I honestly just got a little overzealous, printed it and literally ran right out the door to pre-order the Zatoichi set. Of course it turned out to be nothing but a pointless endeavor and wasted gas money after I ended up reordering it at the above price once the 40% was issued. But definitely a huge thanks for all you do.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.