Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

B&N 50% Criterion blu-ray sale November 5 through December 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: B&N 50% Criterion blu-ray sale November 5 through December 2

Originally Posted by lagoveride
can anyone confirm using the 10% member discount for Zatoichi pre order in store?

what are your thoughts on the Barnes membership. Do you think its worth paying 25 a year after the trial period is over.
You typically do not get the member discount when ordering pre-orders in store. It CAN happen occasionally (I think the cashier has to manually apply it), since it's happened to me exactly twice. But it is rare, so don't expect it to happen.

As for membership, years ago I would have said an easy YES. But nowadays, I do not think it's worth $25. I just do two free trials each year, typically during the Criterion sale.
Old 11-11-13, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I think someone posted that the 30% off coupon was pulled. It's still on B&N's site. I think something happened to Lasermovies' spoiler tag. I'm sure he'll fix it. In the meantime, I've linked to it down below.
Originally Posted by Laser Movies
There are some things I like to say but they may get me banned. I would hope people don't go abusing the 30% coupon before it's even officially released. I removed the coupon from the coupon thread. I would have never posted it if I realized it was already working. In fact I had it in an area labeled future coupons that are not active. If the coupon starts getting used weeks in advance I would expect B&N may remove it and clamp down hard on coupon usage for the remainder of the sale. I would appreciate if everyone would not use the coupon until it's officially valid on November 21. There is plenty of time to use the coupon legitimately before the end of the Criterion sale. If you can't respect my request then I will no longer maintain the coupon thread on this forum in the future.
Old 11-11-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I had not seen that. I deleted my post.
Old 11-11-13, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I think someone posted that the 30% off coupon was pulled. It's still on B&N's site. I think something happened to Lasermovies' spoiler tag. I'm sure he'll fix it. In the meantime, I've linked to it down below.
I intentionally removed it temporarily from the thread since some forum members were going out and using it early. With the scarcity of generic type coupons I figure if the coupon starts showing up at stores early B&N may decide to eliminate them altogether, and permanently pull the coupon before it's supposed to officially get released. I would hate to see that happen since there are not too many generic percent off coupons around anymore. I would hope you would please delete the coupon from your post. We know the coupon is coming and there should be plenty of time to use it when they officially release it.

Edit to add:

Thanks for deleting it.
Old 11-11-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, Laser. I totally missed your post about removing it... I had seen the posts last night about the coupon disappearing, and I knew I had saved the URL at work. So I posted it, but hadn't read all of the posts between last night, and my post, until Sandman pointed it out. I definitely don't want the coupon to be canceled before it ever begins! But I do plan on abusing that coupon a lot on November 21!
Old 11-11-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not a problem and encourage everyone to use it often starting November 21.
Old 11-11-13, 03:32 PM

Not a problem and encourage everyone to use it often starting November 21.
when the coupon comes out on the 21st where can I find it?

would I have to print multiple copies and use one at each store?

I really want to pick up a bunch of kurosawa blu rays and Zatoichi if possible with the discount.

thanks.

I am thinking now maybe i should hold off until this coupon comes out.
Old 11-11-13, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lagoveride
when the coupon comes out on the 21st where can I find it?

would I have to print multiple copies and use one at each store?

I really want to pick up a bunch of kurosawa blu rays and Zatoichi if possible with the discount.

thanks.

I am thinking now maybe i should hold off until this coupon comes out.
Welcome to the forum, and to the semi-annual Criterion Collection sale.

Your best bet for all things Barnes & Noble can be found in this thread. It helps to follow it regularly, but Laser's first post will always answer the most common questions and provide links to all active coupons.
Old 11-12-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up The Wages Of Fear and The Ice Storm for $9.99 each today after member discount and 8/40 coupon
Old 11-12-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I picked up The Wages Of Fear and The Ice Storm for $9.99 each today after member discount and 8/40 coupon
THAT is scoring indeed !! Have only managed that 2 times in the history of B&N Criterion sales
Old 11-12-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
THAT is scoring indeed !! Have only managed that 2 times in the history of B&N Criterion sales
I went to the same store I went to last week where I had good luck with coupon use (nothing that would be as YMMV/lucky as this one) and got the same cashier who was extremely nice and helpful and after declining at first because they were already on sale, I just mentioned that the coupon states $40 before sales/member discount and he just looked at it and said "yup, you're right!" took $8 off each title and I was on my way.

I'll be going back later this week or early next week to continue trying my luck with my new found best friend haha!
Old 11-12-13, 03:24 PM

Hey everyone. So I decided to go to Barnes and Noble today and not wait until some other potential coupons come out. Mainly because the only one close to me usually gets all the good stuff sold out quickly.

The manager of the movies/CD's section was very nice and I spoke with him about how i want to maximize my discount on criterion releases in the future. He said last week ALL dvd's were 30% at the store I was at and I just missed the sale. That would have been a sweet combo with this 50% off criterion sale. ohh well.

He said that rarely the online coupons work on criterions, but sometimes they do. He also said the coupons you get via-snail mail tend to always work so I will be on the lookout for those.

I ended up using the $75 E-Gift Card I bough recently and my 2 month membership for the extra 10% off.

I ended up getting these criterions on blu-ray:

1. Seven Samurai
2.Yojimbo/Sanjuro Combo set
3.Kagemusha
4. Repo Man
5.Ride with the Devil
6.Cronos
7.The Great Dictator
8.Dajarling Limited

I think I made out well considering it came to 50% off+ 10% member discount.

Total came to $98..25 (minus the $75 GC i used) which includes the 7% sales tax in my state.
Old 11-13-13, 12:20 PM

Just to clarify: will the forthcoming 30 % coupon work on Criterion titles during the present sale, or is it blocked for online orders like all of the others?

Thanks for all of the useful info.
Old 11-13-13, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Florinaldo
Just to clarify: will the forthcoming 30 % coupon work on Criterion titles during the present sale, or is it blocked for online orders like all of the others?

Thanks for all of the useful info.
All coupons are currently blocked for the Criterion sale online. Unless they drop the restrictions no future coupons will work at B&N.com. However the 30% Mastercard coupon coming next week is a store coupon. It doesn't appear if there is an online code to go along with it.
Old 11-16-13, 03:12 PM

Hi Laser,

A question for you - why is acceptance policy of the coupons posted such a hit or miss at the store ? Today when I tried to use a 20% off coupon, I was told by a dept mgr of a store in SoCal that these coupons were fraudulently posted and that they have a communication from corporate that coupons with these codes were not to be honored. I told him I had been able to use them at other stores - and he rudely asked me to go try them at those stores. And he told me that any member coupons that should be used should have a specific individually generated bar code - and that these generic coupons were fraudulent.

I can hold my ground well and argue but it was rather embarrassing to go through this - each time this sale happens, the acceptance of these coupons meet such mixed results at various stores. As a member for 3 years now, I have not received a single coupon by email (only received snail mail coupons). So who DOES actually get these coupons ? The crowd here by and large agrees that rarely does anyone get these coupons by email. So why does B&N generate these generic coupons and who are its intended audience ?

Once again, no offence meant - I am grateful for your continuous contribution that has saved me and several other members plenty of money to make for some spectacular sales. But am asking the above so as to have a better store experience than be subject to the kind of experience mentioned above. Thank you
Old 11-16-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Today when I tried to use a 20% off coupon, I was told by a dept mgr of a store in SoCal that these coupons were fraudulently posted and that they have a communication from corporate that coupons with these codes were not to be honored.
From that experience, I'd never shop at B&N again.
Old 11-16-13, 04:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From that experience, I'd never shop at B&N again.
Since some here won't shop at B&N unless Criterion is sold for $10, my guess is that there will be no B&N's to shop at soon enough anyway. At least in the short term, I guess there will be more inventory for the rest of us, if some are put off by one user experience in Internetland...
Old 11-16-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hi Laser,

A question for you - why is acceptance policy of the coupons posted such a hit or miss at the store ? Today when I tried to use a 20% off coupon, I was told by a dept mgr of a store in SoCal that these coupons were fraudulently posted and that they have a communication from corporate that coupons with these codes were not to be honored. I told him I had been able to use them at other stores - and he rudely asked me to go try them at those stores. And he told me that any member coupons that should be used should have a specific individually generated bar code - and that these generic coupons were fraudulent.

I can hold my ground well and argue but it was rather embarrassing to go through this - each time this sale happens, the acceptance of these coupons meet such mixed results at various stores. As a member for 3 years now, I have not received a single coupon by email (only received snail mail coupons). So who DOES actually get these coupons ? The crowd here by and large agrees that rarely does anyone get these coupons by email. So why does B&N generate these generic coupons and who are its intended audience ?

Once again, no offence meant - I am grateful for your continuous contribution that has saved me and several other members plenty of money to make for some spectacular sales. But am asking the above so as to have a better store experience than be subject to the kind of experience mentioned above. Thank you
Hit and miss with coupons has been the rule since the Criterion sale first began. One store will accept them, another will say no. I don't know how a coupon can be fake if it is in their system. However I remember reading a few posts during past sales that employees and managers were claiming the $8 DVD/Blu-ray coupons were counterfeits. It's really hard to know who the coupons were intended for, but since the 20% coupon work with a membership that seems like the main criteria asked to honor it. If corporate has a problem with it why don't they deactivate the coupons. Since all stores don't seem to have the same policy it's hard to believe anything the manager said is even truthful. What is he going to say next week when the 30% Mastercard coupons start showing up. If any fraud is going on it's with how B&N screws over many members by not sending email coupons and claims as a member benefit that you get more coupons than regular customers.
Old 11-16-13, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it worth contacting corporate about the way he was treated?

i would certainly be sure to mention having your children with you, among them your three year old who was prompted to ask "why did that man yell at you daddy, are you a bad man, is it because of the color of our skin?"
Old 11-16-13, 06:22 PM

Hit and miss with coupons has been the rule since the Criterion sale first began. One store will accept them, another will say no. I don't know how a coupon can be fake if it is in their system. However I remember reading a few posts during past sales that employees and managers were claiming the $8 DVD/Blu-ray coupons were counterfeits. It's really hard to know who the coupons were intended for, but since the 20% coupon work with a membership that seems like the main criteria asked to honor it. If corporate has a problem with it why don't they deactivate the coupons. Since all stores don't seem to have the same policy it's hard to believe anything the manager said is even truthful. What is he going to say next week when the 30% Mastercard coupons start showing up. If any fraud is going on it's with how B&N screws over many members by not sending email coupons and claims as a member benefit that you get more coupons than regular customers.
completely agree. And just like you said, I dared the mgr this morning to input the 20% coupon in by following the instructions - so we would know it were a fake if it were rejected. He refused to do it saying they were fraudulent because some 'systems could bypass it' (his exact words). I smiled and walked away. Its a rather sorry way of treating customers that pay $25 for the annual membership - claiming that the regular additional 10% off was a big benefit.
Old 11-16-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
is it worth contacting corporate about the way he was treated?
Corporate was sympathetic in my almost-similar situation, except my cashier was a bigger douchenozzle.

It really is just YMMV on everything with this sale. It's just the most bizarre store policies when you don't know if you're going to have someone apply the coupons no problem or be told by some rogue pissant cashier that you're trying to defraud the whole fucking company.

I think you just have to have thick skin and enough B&N stores to attempt to use the coupons at. I'm just hoping I can still pick up City Lights.
Old 11-16-13, 10:51 PM

Thanks for all the responses. At the end of the day, it really is as simple as walking away if it doesn't work - you win some and you lose some. But its the attitude of some dept mgrs that they are doing you a great big favor by honoring the coupons that the company generated, that pisses me off. I would never use a fraudulent coupon, really have no pressing need to save money that way. At the same time, being accused of doing something fraudulent by a douche mgr that does not know the company's own systems, works me up.

On to the next one....
Old 11-17-13, 04:45 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Bought 3 $20 movies today. Planned on using the 20%, 15%, and $5 off $50 on the purchase. Right as I laid everything out and said I had coupons, he immediately said they'd have to be rung up separately. Found that kind of odd, but maybe it's a way to exclude those from saving that extra $5? Still bought my items regardless, but never had that happen before.
Old 11-17-13, 09:26 PM

Anyone know why Frances Ha isn't included in the sale? Seems to be only available from marketplace sellers. Is it out of stock at BN or something else?
Old 11-17-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by so it goes
Anyone know why Frances Ha isn't included in the sale? Seems to be only available from marketplace sellers. Is it out of stock at BN or something else?
Just OOS. Give it a day or so, and it will be back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.