Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) $16.99 @ DD

To be released Sept 10th.

link
Old 08-31-13, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) $16.99 @ DD

FWIW, FYE will have the 2D version for $14.99 and the 3D version for $19.99(10% less if you're a Backstage member). I'm going to try and price match at Target.

http://www.fye.com/search.jsp?page=1...+Into+Darkness
Old 08-31-13, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10% off code is working on this.
Old 08-31-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mysteryfan
10% off code is working on this.
What code? The only one I know of expired 8/26.
Old 08-31-13, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by double_oh_7
what code? The only one i know of expired 8/26.

talk824
Old 08-31-13, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
[SNIP]I'm going to ... Target.[SNIP]

I think I prefer the Target version because it has more special features on the disc.
Old 08-31-13, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The way Paramount has sliced up the extras and scattered them across different retailers is an abomination. NO ONE SHOULD PURCHASE THIS RELEASE, OTHERWISE THEY WILL EXPAND THE PRACTICE TO FUTURE TITLES!!!! I'm not kidding. It doesn't matter if you liked the movie or not - if people buy deliberately truncated releases, then we'll get more and more of them and we ALL lose as customers!

Read The Digital Bits' review and this AICN article, "Are Retailer Exclusive Blu-rays the New Variant Comics Covers?" for the details of this terrible scheme.

It was bad enough having to buy 3D versions to get ALL the extras like with Prometheus, but this takes the freaking cake: "In all seriousness, to get all of the extras theoretically worth having, you'd have to buy both the Best Buy and Target editions ($50+tax minimum), and to watch with the commentary on, you can only view it on a computer, since iTunes Extras does not work on iPads, iPhones, or AppleTV."

This. Is. Madness. Don't support it. Don't bend over for it and thus screw everyone else in the process. Boycott gimped releases!
Old 08-31-13, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

^I don't give a shit about extras so I am keeping my pre order intact.
Old 08-31-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I care about extras, but not that much to boycott. The commentary is really the only thing that bothers me since I hate iTunes, but whatever. I'm still buying. Sorry.
Old 08-31-13, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Already preordered. Got a movie ticket, used a free $5 BB cert, so it only ran me $10.
Old 08-31-13, 10:10 PM

Received 41 Likes on 14 Posts

Screw this. I'll buy it once when I can get it for $10. I'll buy the other versions when I can get them for $5. Maybe more if the extras are on separate discs, and I can sell-off the extra copies of the movie itself.

It is just amazing how Paramount bends ST fans over.

But they keep taking it...

Not me-- I don't own a single TV season of ST on disc because even the sale prices are highway robbery.
Old 08-31-13, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by teameck

It is just amazing how Paramount bends ST fans over.

But they keep taking it...

Not me-- I don't own a single TV season of ST on disc because even the sale prices are highway robbery.
I guess highway robbery is all in the individual's perspective. 35 bucks apiece for the BD versions of each season has been worth it to me.
Old 08-31-13, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I care about extras, but not that much to boycott. The commentary is really the only thing that bothers me since I hate iTunes, but whatever. I'm still buying. Sorry.
So you like extras, but even though half the extras have been stripped and the one you really care about is only available through something you hate, you're still going to buy it because....?

Just how raw does a studio have to roger you before you won't still pay up for their half-packages?

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I guess highway robbery is all in the individual's perspective. 35 bucks apiece for the BD versions of each season has been worth it to me.
One time, a few weeks ago, the TOS BDs get below $40 - and the previous low was $40 one time three years ago - and you think the prices are fine? Yeah, Amazon did TNG for $50 that week, but in general Star Trek prices have been higher than even HBO sets were and HBO doesn't even try to pull that crap anymore.
Old 08-31-13, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
So you like extras, but even though half the extras have been stripped and the one you really care about is only available through something you hate, you're still going to buy it because....?

Just how raw does a studio have to roger you before you won't still pay up for their half-packages?

One time, a few weeks ago, the TOS BDs get below $40 - and the previous low was $40 one time three years ago - and you think the prices are fine? Yeah, Amazon did TNG for $50 that week, but in general Star Trek prices have been higher than even HBO sets were and HBO doesn't even try to pull that crap anymore.
Guess what. If you don't like the prices don't buy it. Sales must be enough to satisfy them or they would lower the price. Paramount is not beholden to you or any other customer with regards to their pricing structure.

On the other hand spreading content among different retailers is a crappy thing to do, and i dont like it, but still their choice.
Old 09-01-13, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Have you never bought a bare bones movie release before? At the end of the day the movie is more important then losing out on a few fluffy features and a commentary.

And I have no idea what Roger means.
Old 09-01-13, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Originally Posted by izatright
Already preordered. Got a movie ticket, used a free $5 BB cert, so it only ran me $10.
No. You (like me) put a $15 deposit towards the purchase of the disc and now have a digital copy as well. You still have to pay the difference (or find a place with a $15 advertised price to price match) in order to get the Blu Ray.

And I have no idea what Roger means.
British slag for sodomize.

Last edited by Decker; 09-01-13 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-01-13, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you never bought a bare bones movie release before? At the end of the day the movie is more important then losing out on a few fluffy features and a commentary.
Not if there was an alternative or the reviews of the extras indicate they're nothing much. I just passed over a $2 BD copy of 127 Hours at Family Video because it was a rental edition with no features.

Most of the time when buying a Blu-ray, I've already seen the movie theatrically so for me the extras, especially on major effects pictures like this, are a prime consideration. I'll routinely watch the extras and shelve the movie. I HATED The Dark Knight Reloaded, but I bought the BD for cheap in order to see all the making-of stuff. I didn't hate Prometheus, but the supplements in the 3D edition were terrific and ran for hours. Same for Life of Pi (though I settled for the 2D version with most of the extras). Good supplements deepen the experience of the movie. Otherwise, we should just stream from Netflix or torrent things if all we want is to watch a movie.

To strip away the commentary track - the most basic of extras which even the barebones Avengers DVD included with one other featurette - and put it on fraking iTunes is a slap to the very audience that would be the most interested in hearing what the makers did. "Hey folks, we know you've got that nice 60" HDTV with surround sound, but you'll need to get out your laptop to watch it with J.J.'s commentary. While you're at it, call me Mister Daddy when I smack your ass. That'd be great."

I don't get the snotty rudeness of the people who don't care about extras. It's like someone raising the alarm about a dog-fighting operation and sniffing, "Who cares? I like cats." What I REALLY don't get are the people who murmur that this is a lousy thing, but then grab their ankles and allow Paramount direct access to their Jeffries Tube. If you bend over for this, you're gonna keep getting bent over because you've signaled you like it when Paramount treats you that way.
Old 09-01-13, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
Paramount is not beholden to you or any other customer with regards to their pricing structure.
Huh? OK, maybe the retailers have a more direct say when it comes to pricing, but sales end with the consumer. They certainly are "beholden" to the customer or they are out of business. Duh!

That said, this title will just be rental for me, as I was completed underwhelmed by the first Abrams Star Trek (and I shudder to think about what he's gonna do to Star Wars). But I agree with those who call for a boycott, this splitting of bonus features is getting out of hand. And the commentary only on iTunes is a big FU to those who purchase physical media.
Old 09-01-13, 09:53 AM

Received 41 Likes on 14 Posts

Very true point. But one decent sale price after all these years (I'm including the DVD pricing such as STNG) is pretty lousy. Good for those who saved up and paid attention and were able to catch the sale that one or two weeks.

Another point made of "don't buy it" was spot-on; that was my point: I don't buy them.

But it's a shame. I'm an interested admirer of the franchise who has seen most of the episodes (between all series) and all the movies, but I could probably be a fan if I could sit-down and enjoy the totality of the franchise by watching these shows when I want to. Some of these series are decades old. I appreciate the time and money to remaster them, but for the price to rarely drop years after the release? I can't imagine there is a ten-year projection to break even. I'd guess after a short time, the costs to remaster have been recouped.

I'm not saying they should give them away, but how many people don't buy them because they're so expensive? How many fans is this franchise not gaining because of cost? They have a new, exciting "take" (love it or not) on Star Trek where it'd be easy for people to jump-on, but Paramount is taking the Big Two comic book approach: milking long-time fans more and more while the fanbase gets less and less.
Old 09-01-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not if there was an alternative or the reviews of the extras indicate they're nothing much. I just passed over a $2 BD copy of 127 Hours at Family Video because it was a rental edition with no features.

Most of the time when buying a Blu-ray, I've already seen the movie theatrically so for me the extras, especially on major effects pictures like this, are a prime consideration. I'll routinely watch the extras and shelve the movie. I HATED The Dark Knight Reloaded, but I bought the BD for cheap in order to see all the making-of stuff. I didn't hate Prometheus, but the supplements in the 3D edition were terrific and ran for hours. Same for Life of Pi (though I settled for the 2D version with most of the extras). Good supplements deepen the experience of the movie. Otherwise, we should just stream from Netflix or torrent things if all we want is to watch a movie.

To strip away the commentary track - the most basic of extras which even the barebones Avengers DVD included with one other featurette - and put it on fraking iTunes is a slap to the very audience that would be the most interested in hearing what the makers did. "Hey folks, we know you've got that nice 60" HDTV with surround sound, but you'll need to get out your laptop to watch it with J.J.'s commentary. While you're at it, call me Mister Daddy when I smack your ass. That'd be great."

I don't get the snotty rudeness of the people who don't care about extras. It's like someone raising the alarm about a dog-fighting operation and sniffing, "Who cares? I like cats." What I REALLY don't get are the people who murmur that this is a lousy thing, but then grab their ankles and allow Paramount direct access to their Jeffries Tube. If you bend over for this, you're gonna keep getting bent over because you've signaled you like it when Paramount treats you that way.
Yeah, we wouldn't want any snotty rudeness.
Old 09-01-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by goblin23
Huh? OK, maybe the retailers have a more direct say when it comes to pricing, but sales end with the consumer. They certainly are "beholden" to the customer or they are out of business. Duh!
Companies are beholden to their owners, board of directors and stockholders whether it is Paramount Studios or Best Buy. Not to an individual consumer. If they want to charge $3000 for a Star Trek season, that is their choice. They won't sell any but if they are happy with not selling and the owners, board stockholders are happy then that is that.

They are obviously happy "enough" with their pricing structure on the Star Trek series sets, or they would make the price lower. Duh!!!
Old 09-01-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by stanl2
I think I prefer the Target version because it has more special features on the disc.
Only about a half-hour's worth, according to what TREKCORE has listed - not worth paying $10 extra for the release, IMHO.

Target release:
■The Voyage Begins... Again (2:29)
■Mr. Spock and Mr. Spock (4:15)
■Rebuilding the Enterprise (5:30)
■Vengeance is Coming (4:27)
■Kirk and Spock (5:34)
■Visual Affection (9:02)

ALSO, TrekCore seems to infer that it's actually BAD ROBOT, and not PARAMOUNT that may be behind all the retailer exclusives here.
Old 09-01-13, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by teameck
Very true point. But one decent sale price after all these years (I'm including the DVD pricing such as STNG) is pretty lousy. Good for those who saved up and paid attention and were able to catch the sale that one or two weeks.

Another point made of "don't buy it" was spot-on; that was my point: I don't buy them.

But it's a shame. I'm an interested admirer of the franchise who has seen most of the episodes (between all series) and all the movies, but I could probably be a fan if I could sit-down and enjoy the totality of the franchise by watching these shows when I want to. Some of these series are decades old. I appreciate the time and money to remaster them, but for the price to rarely drop years after the release? I can't imagine there is a ten-year projection to break even. I'd guess after a short time, the costs to remaster have been recouped.

I'm not saying they should give them away, but how many people don't buy them because they're so expensive? How many fans is this franchise not gaining because of cost? They have a new, exciting "take" (love it or not) on Star Trek where it'd be easy for people to jump-on, but Paramount is taking the Big Two comic book approach: milking long-time fans more and more while the fanbase gets less and less.
I bought mine for around 35 bucks a season at DDD just this past May. Of course they would go on sale for around $28 bucks a season a week ago but they have been several sales at different sites where they were at least $35 or less a season (note, I am only talking about TOS). But I understand if you don't want to pay that much. It is a lot to pay compared to some other releases but same goes for the Shout Factory BD releases and the Twilight Time releases. They are a premium price and you just have to decide if it is worth it do you or not. I know there are a ton of other movies that I have passed or waited on to drop price so I guess it is to the individual on what price you want to pay. 35 bucks a season was my tipping point. For all of the content, the excellent transfers, the option for uppded effects and the other odds and ends, I felt it was worth it to take the plunge and haven't regretted it (and I never usually pay 35 bucks a season anymore).

Comparing DVD/BD extras to the mistreatment of animals makes it hard for me to take you serious. Those First World problems...

Old 09-01-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love having the special features because I'm a completest, especially on something like Star Trek. But to be honest I don't really watch special features anymore. I've just got too much other stuff to watch that I don't need to watch a movie I've already seen with the cast talking about it. But that Louis CK thing IS funny.

ON a side note, all these exclusives are going to burn people out. Completests will either drain their bank account or say I'm not double-dipping on anything. It's what happened to comics and it might happen again w/ movies. The only real difference is that movies aren't released every month like comics, but I know this exclusive thing has really drained my resources. I've cut back alot (though not totally).
Old 09-01-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

People do realize most of these extra features are worthless for the most part, right? Most can be seen once on YouTube and quickly forgotten.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.