Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

Old 08-06-13, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

Originally Posted by Kedrix
That's awesome, but will they take the coupon and U&S? Or is that strictly a YMMV thing?
Very YMMV. Local store refused me. He was going to take it but it wouldn't scan, that is to say it scanned but said "not in system". He went and talked to someone and they refused. I knew it said "Cannot be combined etc." but I have never been refused in the past. Looks like they are getting more strict.

Anyway, picked up:

Men in Black 3 3D $9.99
Mud $12.99
Night at the Museum Collection $9.99

Prices after U&S.

Oh Yeah, I got the last copy of Mud. Out of stock the first day. I thought that was nuts.
Old 08-06-13, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

So I made one last trip today. Took in 5 more crap DVDs

Lethal Weapon 1-3 (already upgraded to BD) Forgot that I still had them.

American Pie II (bought the BD last week)

Some crappy Chinese comedy from Hong Kong that I never bothered watching.

Picked up (after coupon):

Aftershock ($9.99)

Strike Back season 2 ($22.99)

Leon: The Professional ($4.99) - realized I never had this on BD

The Collector ($4.99)

Bourne Legacy ($9.99) - Movie was meh but had moments. I want to be a Bourne completest and that was the price I was willing to bite.

and the guy gave me back my coupon/receipt without marking any of them off. I guess he had no idea what he was doing. Shit, I didn't want to buy anymore. This Best Buy near my house is really dry on inventory. There is another one near my work, so the next time I'm in the office (this Friday), I'll make my final trip.
Old 08-06-13, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
That's awesome, but will they take the coupon and U&S? Or is that strictly a YMMV thing?
It will work. See the above posts. Just remember to give them to the cashier in this order for scanning:

Reward Zone Certs > Best Buy coupons (e.g. U&S coupon) > Manufacturer's coupons
Old 08-06-13, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
The Best Buy rep wrote, "Also, as long as you have the disc for the actual movie in the case, bonus material should not be required." But I have it on good authority from some DVDtalk boardies that not including bonus material would be stealing...
Old 08-06-13, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by izatright
The Best Buy rep wrote, "Also, as long as you have the disc for the actual movie in the case, bonus material should not be required." But I have it on good authority from some DVDtalk boardies that not including bonus material would be stealing...
Give them the shoes but keep the laces. Don't they just trash the discs?

I just spoke with a friend and he said that he has seen them pack them up in boxes to ship them somewhere. He is not certain what happens to them from there. I'm thinking that there is a good chance that these end up being resold in some market. However, very few of the movies that we trade in have very much value in the used market.

Last edited by dsa_shea; 08-06-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-06-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Unless you split them into separate DVD cases, you will only get 1 coupon for 1 set, no matter how many discs are in it - as far as I remember. Someone can confirm or deny that.
I once got three coupons for Brazil Criterion DVD. I didn't bring the outer box with me.

And concerning Mud - I bought it today, and the $3 coupon did indeed scan with an error message no matter which of the barcodes were used. The cashier just put in a generic $3 coupon.
Old 08-06-13, 11:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Best Buy Community Forum

The latest in the never ending stream of Moderator posts over the last several years confirming this issue

July 2013 Thread U&S plus Manufacturers Coupon

Even better

Upgrade and Save special combinations
Ha...that's pretty awesome...right there from their forums. I'm printing that out for sure and taking it with me just in case. Of course I'm not going to pull that out if it goes smoothly but to show that in black and white is going to put them in quite the situation if they try and put one over on me. It's time to go hunting tomorrow Thank you.
Old 08-06-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Every time I've gone to Best Buy, coupons from manufacturers like Disney are always manually deducted after sales tax is applied. As said, its used as a form of payment. U&S coupons are scanned before the cashier hits total.
Old 08-07-13, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jiggyblau
I once got three coupons for Brazil Criterion DVD. I didn't bring the outer box with me.
Might this be the most valuable DVD used for trade-in in the annals of U&S?
Old 08-07-13, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Give them the shoes but keep the laces. Don't they just trash the discs?

I just spoke with a friend and he said that he has seen them pack them up in boxes to ship them somewhere. He is not certain what happens to them from there. I'm thinking that there is a good chance that these end up being resold in some market. However, very few of the movies that we trade in have very much value in the used market.
Did you ever read the old Scrooge McDuck comic where he hoards a certain type of coin and then destroys all but one of them so that he has a unique and priceless collectible coin? I have my suspicions that many of these DVDs are being destroyed a la The Grapes of Wrath so as to take a bite out of the used market.

I always make sure any DVD I'm trading in is a mass market title with little to no resale value (last ones were the X-Men movies so I could get on Blu).

I certainly would never trade in a Criterion, no matter the title!
Old 08-07-13, 09:05 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

From what I've heard, Best Buy recycles them.
Old 08-07-13, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gizmo
From what I've heard, Best Buy recycles them.
What exactly does "recycle" mean in this context? To them it could mean putting them back on the market or it could be destroying them and recycling the plastic from the cases and the paper from the covers (if those can be recycled). Just curious! A friend of mine is going to look further into what happens to the trade-ins.
Old 08-07-13, 09:39 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
What exactly does "recycle" mean in this context? To them it could mean putting them back on the market or it could be destroying them and recycling the plastic from the cases and the paper from the covers (if those can be recycled). Just curious! A friend of mine is going to look further into what happens to the trade-ins.
Shred the discs etc.

Can't remember where I read that from.
Old 08-07-13, 11:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Shred the discs etc.

Can't remember where I read that from.
Which always makes me shake my head especially when I'd say half of the Best Buy employees I bring it to, look at the back of the disc to check and see if it is scratched heavily. It is almost like why bother to look at that if it is going into a shredder somewhere. I've been told they recycle them too, but when they look so intently at them, I have to start and wonder.
Old 08-07-13, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would hope that they at least donate the movies that are appropriate for children if they do end up shredding the rest.
Old 08-07-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Might this be the most valuable DVD used for trade-in in the annals of U&S?
Define valuable. It is still in print and available on BD so getting $15 via U&S isn't far off from what you'd get for a used copy somewhere else. I got less than $10 on half.com when I upgraded to Blu.
Old 08-07-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While it's clear that Beast Buy is cutting back on quantities, how much of the mehness over this sale is due to people being already stocked up on titles? I didn't go until last Saturday and had to scratch around to find 5 things to buy, most of them being upgrades from DVDs I've never watched. While it's nice to build the library for $5 a pop, after a while the piles of unwatched movies get to the point where it's hard to justify buying even more.

Looking at the first 100 BD titles priced $10 or less on the BB site, I've already got 46 on Blu and another 14 on DVD and since I've probably not watched any of those* why should I spend more, no matter how little, on upgrading to a BD that I won't be watching either?

* I have hundreds of DVDs/BDs of movies I've seen before (in theaters, etc) so I haven't revisited them on disc. Yet. (If I'll ever.) Of the 10 titles currently in my sig, I've seen them all but Romeo + Juliet and Breaking Bad.
Old 08-07-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
Define valuable. It is still in print and available on BD so getting $15 via U&S isn't far off from what you'd get for a used copy somewhere else. I got less than $10 on half.com when I upgraded to Blu.
I don't really bother with what the secondary market dictates what it should be worth, Brazil Criterion is still a fine product when compared with just about everyone's 25 cent DVDs used for the trade in plus the OP was fortunate to get $15 (and deservingly so) when
it should've been 5. But of course everybodys got their own set of values.
Old 08-07-13, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Went to a different store today and picked up the 10 film horror pack for $8. Also found the Scream Factory release of The Fog. I was hoping to find The Howling, but no such luck.
Old 08-07-13, 08:04 PM

I'm enjoying the banter about Brazil Criterion.

First, trying to unload the used copy wasn't going to get me even $15 - at least at the time. I looked around. Second, the third disc had a tiny crack in it even though it worked, so selling it would have been complicated anyway. Couple these facts with my newly purchased copy of Brazil BD Criterion and the amount of space that the DVD took up, I was elated to get $15 out of it.
Old 08-07-13, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
what is the SKU?
Sorry for the delay. It is 9292405
Old 08-07-13, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

The woman who works at my local Best Buy claims that they are destroyed. Every time I do a trade in, she goes on a mini rant about how they should donate them to schools or something.
Old 08-07-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah I was told they are ground up and destroyed. Because of that I try to keep any out of print, 2 disc sets that I still have.
Old 08-07-13, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Found a 10-pack of horror BD's for $12.99 BC. 4 children of the corn flicks, plus Cursed, Darkness, Phantoms, and 3 more. It was two BD cases shrinkwrapped together. I figured for 80 cents per movie, why not? There are likely no extras, and not necessarily great quality, but still...
The store I went to today also had a couple more bundles with the Echo Bridge action 6 packs. One included a 2 movie Jackie Chan set opposite the 6 film pack and I believe the other contained The Yards/The Lookout 2 pack.

Wish I had picked up the one containing Equilibrium as I don't have it yet.
Old 08-07-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I wasn't planning on getting in on this one, but ended up getting MIB3, the 3D version for 9.99. Someone posted that the 3D is cheaper than the regular Blu and that's true.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.