Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-13, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

Finally got Samsara at my local Bestbuy. They restocked it and it was the lone copy. Yee-haw!
Old 07-24-13, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

FYI

The GI Joe extended action cut is $14.99 next week with the U&S coupon. I'll probably get that.

Banshee (Cinemax) is $22.99 with coupon. Sold!!!

Justice League: Flashpoint is $14.99 with coupon

Star Trek: TNG season 4 is $64.99 with coupon. Redemption is $9.99 with coupon. You're better off with the Target deal.

If any of you don't have Cinemax and haven't seen Banshee, I highly recommend it.
Old 07-24-13, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Justice League: Flashpoint is $14.99 with coupon
that's a ripoff since I ordered it from Amazon for $13.99 just last week. just checked and it's still that price.
Old 07-24-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Star Trek: TNG season 4 is $64.99 with coupon. Redemption is $9.99 with coupon. You're better off with the Target deal.

What Target deal?
Old 07-24-13, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
What Target deal?
Season 4 is $59.99, Redemption is $12.99

You get $10 off for buying both.

$62.98 total + tax for both after the discount.

If you have a Target Red Card, you can't get an extra 5% off as well.
Old 07-24-13, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchur317
I got DENIED on Flight yesterday then got DENIED on using express lane with U & S yesterday....
Manzana's brother?
Old 07-24-13, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that BB has price-matched (at least some) Criterions from the B&N sale. Has anyone found any Criterions at their local BB? I searched a few titles and can't find anything in or around my area.
Old 07-24-13, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchur317
I got DENIED on Flight yesterday....
Same here. Rang up at $14.99, I mentioned the website price, she price-matched it with the usual 10-minute wait for managerial approval.

Then when trying to apply the U&S coupon it wouldn't take it, she had to get the manager back who said you can't apply it with a price-matched item. Didn't argue. Will try again with another cashier.
Old 07-24-13, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Same here. Rang up at $14.99, I mentioned the website price, she price-matched it with the usual 10-minute wait for managerial approval.

Then when trying to apply the U&S coupon it wouldn't take it, she had to get the manager back who said you can't apply it with a price-matched item. Didn't argue. Will try again with another cashier.
I had the same experience with Flight. I didn't fight it, since I felt the movie was worth $9.99.
Old 07-25-13, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Trying to PM + U&S on Flight was a moot point for me since I bought Flight just over 60 days ago at BB PM'd to Fry's for $9.99, so my return period is over. I doubt I would've been successful at my stores as they are very strict at no PM + U&S as well as only 5 trade-ins at a time.

I would like to get Jack Reacher for $7.99 with a PM to their web site + U&S, but again chances of success for me are tiny. I'm mainly going to try to pick up The Office that I have on hold (I had no choice because it was OOS for shipping as usual), and maybe I'll get lucky and find a few things in stock for U&S.

It's funny that all of the titles people are recommending (Samsara, Baraka Obama, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Rust and Bone, Winter in Wartime) are all documentaries or foreign films.

The more I read other people's comments in various BB threads (not just this site) the more I see lots of other people getting denied on these things, so while BB is always inconsistent and YMMV, at least they seem to be getting more consistent on their strictness and denying.
Old 07-25-13, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by TheBang
Manzana's brother?
That was VERY lame....
Old 07-25-13, 11:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

list of 10$ movies?
Old 07-25-13, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manzana
It's funny that all of the titles people are recommending (Samsara, Baraka Obama, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Rust and Bone, Winter in Wartime) are all documentaries or foreign films.
Why is that funny?
Old 07-25-13, 01:15 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by illennium
Why is that funny?
some people will do ANYTHING to get noticed. Best to ignore it, illennium.
Old 07-25-13, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by E_v_i_l
I went to a Best Buy I hadn't visited yet during this U&S and couldn't find two titles that are showing in-stock online. Will probably try another Best Buy later in the week.

Trip #4:

Torchwood: S2 - $14.99
Daimajin triple feature - $4.99
Gone with the Wind - $4.99
In what section was the Daimajin Triple feature? I didn't see it and I couldn't locate this title on best buy's site or app while I was there to inquire.
Old 07-25-13, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JTKenobi
In what section was the Daimajin Triple feature? I didn't see it and I couldn't locate this title on best buy's site or app while I was there to inquire.
Mine had it in a display with a variety of $9.99 BDs of multiple genres.
Old 07-25-13, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

My Best Buy has shrunk its media section significantly since the last U&S. Where movies had been ranged in row after row with a huge selection, now there's just a tiny section of 3 rows for the Blu-DVD racks. t breaks my heart when I think back to when Best Buy would lay out a table in the front of the store every Tuesday with the newest releases. I wonder if there will be any further U&S's if this trend continues.

My haul:
The Dirty Harry Collection
That Thing You do
Chronicle
Old 07-26-13, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JTKenobi
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
Yeah, I spotted it on one of the main sale racks with a bunch of other $9.99 titles.

Online and in-store it is labeled as "Majin" which is probably why you had difficulty finding it in Best Buy's system. Sku is 9191295.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Majin+%2...&skuId=9191295

Trip #5:

The Pagemaster - $4.99
Copper: S1 - $14.99
Tron (original) - $14.99

Last edited by E_v_i_l; 07-26-13 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-26-13, 02:53 AM
Cool New Member

I was able to go to the BBY store and have them price match Indiana Jones set at $32.99, which they did. I tried using the $5 off coupon and the cashier didn't accept it, I told him the other store accepted it and he had to clear it with two different managers, but it went through. so I got it for $27.99.

also picked up Lock Stock and Smoking Barrels for $4.99 after coupon. it's the first time I seen it on the $9.99 rack.
Old 07-26-13, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Okay, I've had a self-imposed ban on buying new discs since February but given how much Best Buy recently shrank their optical disc section, I felt this may be one of the last U&S hurrahs. I've also been piling up some DVDs to purge as I've gone back through my un-logged library so I figured I could rationalize it as a reward of sorts. I took in two DVDs and received the corresponding two coupons. The first, I used last week for Jurassic Park ($7.99 after sale price + coupon). I became frustrated at trying to make a selection for the second so I gave up and left.

Yesterday, I was in the area anyway so I popped in again. It was surprising to me how little enthusiasm I had for buying anything, even at $4.99. I saw Wayne's World 2, but not the first one. Nor could I find Dick Tracy. I asked an employee in that section about them. She actually suggested that I check the TV section for them. I gave up and settled on Mission: Impossible, since that was one of the DVDs I had traded in (the original, non-anamorphic version).

When I got to the cash register, the young man asked if I had found everything alright and I elected to register my complaint that the media section had become pretty meager. He agreed, saying he'd been gone two weeks and when he came back, he was pretty surprised by the shrinkage there. He asked if there was something in particular that I couldn't find, so I told him everything from the above paragraph.

He asked if the previous employee had offered to look into ordering either title for me. I said she had not, and he seemed demonstrably annoyed by that, and then began to look in the system himself from the register computer. Dick Tracy was not to be found at all, but Wayne's World could be ordered at $9.99. Could I use the coupon? Yes, I could! All I had to do was go to the service counter because he couldn't place the order from the register. Great!

I went to the service desk, explained that the cashier had sent me and the nature of my request. The young woman promptly began to place my order. Initially, it wouldn't accept the coupon but she called for someone else who rolled his eyes at the computer's fussiness and argued that it should just take it, and then he instructed her to just make it a price adjustment.

This all sounds great, right?

I discovered when I got home that she had mistakenly ordered Wayne's World 2.

In her defense, I can easily see why it would be an honest mistake. The BestBuy.com search results page shows "No Image" for Wayne's World on Blu-ray, but it does show the artwork for that film erroneously assigned to the listing for the sequel. So now I have to call Best Buy and get them to intercept the order and fix it. Or something. I dunno.

I really do appreciate the help of the cashier and the service desk helper, both of whom made a genuine effort on my behalf. I'm less sanguine about the media aisle employee who made no effort, and even less thrilled with the confusing website design issue.
Old 07-26-13, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, I've had a self-imposed ban on buying new discs since February but given how much Best Buy recently shrank their optical disc section, I felt this may be one of the last U&S hurrahs. I've also been piling up some DVDs to purge as I've gone back through my un-logged library so I figured I could rationalize it as a reward of sorts. I took in two DVDs and received the corresponding two coupons. The first, I used last week for Jurassic Park ($7.99 after sale price + coupon). I became frustrated at trying to make a selection for the second so I gave up and left.

Yesterday, I was in the area anyway so I popped in again. It was surprising to me how little enthusiasm I had for buying anything, even at $4.99. I saw Wayne's World 2, but not the first one. Nor could I find Dick Tracy. I asked an employee in that section about them. She actually suggested that I check the TV section for them. I gave up and settled on Mission: Impossible, since that was one of the DVDs I had traded in (the original, non-anamorphic version).

When I got to the cash register, the young man asked if I had found everything alright and I elected to register my complaint that the media section had become pretty meager. He agreed, saying he'd been gone two weeks and when he came back, he was pretty surprised by the shrinkage there. He asked if there was something in particular that I couldn't find, so I told him everything from the above paragraph.

He asked if the previous employee had offered to look into ordering either title for me. I said she had not, and he seemed demonstrably annoyed by that, and then began to look in the system himself from the register computer. Dick Tracy was not to be found at all, but Wayne's World could be ordered at $9.99. Could I use the coupon? Yes, I could! All I had to do was go to the service counter because he couldn't place the order from the register. Great!

I went to the service desk, explained that the cashier had sent me and the nature of my request. The young woman promptly began to place my order. Initially, it wouldn't accept the coupon but she called for someone else who rolled his eyes at the computer's fussiness and argued that it should just take it, and then he instructed her to just make it a price adjustment.

This all sounds great, right?

I discovered when I got home that she had mistakenly ordered Wayne's World 2.

In her defense, I can easily see why it would be an honest mistake. The BestBuy.com search results page shows "No Image" for Wayne's World on Blu-ray, but it does show the artwork for that film erroneously assigned to the listing for the sequel. So now I have to call Best Buy and get them to intercept the order and fix it. Or something. I dunno.

I really do appreciate the help of the cashier and the service desk helper, both of whom made a genuine effort on my behalf. I'm less sanguine about the media aisle employee who made no effort, and even less thrilled with the confusing website design issue.
Old 07-26-13, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
My Best Buy has shrunk its media section significantly since the last U&S. Where movies had been ranged in row after row with a huge selection, now there's just a tiny section of 3 rows for the Blu-DVD racks. t breaks my heart when I think back to when Best Buy would lay out a table in the front of the store every Tuesday with the newest releases. I wonder if there will be any further U&S's if this trend continues.
I'm sure they will. I'm sure I'll say I won't do it. I'm sure I'll do it anyway. I'm sure I'll bitch about there not being any selection.
Old 07-26-13, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

UPDATE:

After chatting with Best Buy customer service, I was directed to call customer service. The short version is that they couldn't modify or cancel my erroneously placed order for Wayne's World 2, so I'm either stuck with that or I can return it, but they did go ahead and place an order for Wayne's World for me at the post-coupon price of $4.99. So long as I get the correct movie, I guess I'm fine with the way this was handled. The various people I spoke with were all pretty friendly and cooperative. I make note of that because so often in this forum we hear horror stories and having worked in jobs dealing with the public, I like to offer praise where I think it's deserved.
Old 07-26-13, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Has anyone been able to find Dick Tracy on the in store or online web site?
Old 07-26-13, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
Thanks for the info!
No wonder I had such a hard time finding it. In Best Buy's system, the title is 'Majin' instead of 'Daimajin'. I only discovered this after the lone copy in the store caught my eye while scanning all the display areas (this was after I showed a photo of the cover to an BB associate and he insisted they don't carry it because it's not in their system). Unfortunately, the slip is shredded, but at least I got a copy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.