Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Old 04-23-13, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Originally Posted by Manzana

Also unfortunate is that 1 of the 2 nice people at my mean store said she is leaving. Apart from her and 1 other person, everyone else will strictly enforce and deny everything possible, i.e. only 5 U&S per day and if you want to return an U&S item you just lose your $5 discount whereas these 2 will let you apply it to another item as long as U&S is still active. Most BB employees in my area will deny simple stuff like that just because they can.
Stop complaining about this stuff.
Old 04-23-13, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
3D combo pack is $22.99, before U&S.
I should have been more specific, I meant the price for just The Lorax regular 2D combo pack (the 2012 one). Thank you though!
Old 04-23-13, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I had my first haul today. Maybe because it's still early in the sale, but I was shocked at how much inventory my store had. They had a greater variety of $9.99 titles than last time, many that were $9.99 last sale but not in the store. It gives me something to buy when I go back.

Anyway, I traded my 5 DVDs and came away with:

Silent Hill Revelation 3D - $14.99
Resident Evil Retribution 3D - $14.99
Hotel Transylvania 3D - $14.99
Dredd - $14.99
The Raid: Redemption - $4.99

All of them are blind buys. I was iffy on a couple, but the first three titles on that list will likely be rewatched during the October Horror Challenge. The action ones will definitely be ones my first will want to see, so I know they will all get watched at least.

Since I'm on a 3D buying kick, I was tempted at Clash of the Titans and Wrath of the Titans. But they would both be blind buys, and I don't have the same degree of confidence in them. I'll likely upgrade some DVDs next. I'm pissed that my store never has Airplane! in stock!

Originally Posted by tbender
I should have been more specific, I meant the price for just The Lorax regular 2D combo pack (the 2012 one). Thank you though!
I know it's not the version you want, but for what it's worth, The Lorax 3D was $19.99 before coupon at the Best Buy I went to today.
Old 04-23-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Every store does it different. And even then, employees may do it differently. Sometimes I get 5 coupons. Sometimes I get one coupon with a 5 written on it. When I traded mine in, she asked me if I was going to be redeeming all 5 titles that day. I told her "probably not" so she gave me 5 coupons. I know if I told her yes, she would have given me one coupon with a 5 written on it. They always run out of coupons, which is why they are trying to conserve. And then when I checkout, I am basically banking on their ineptitude to follow proper procedures.
At BB today, I got a receipt and five photocopied coupons. Last time the U&S deal was done, they did the one printed coupon with receipt that the cashiers were supposed to mark off, but other than the first purchase, they never did and I ended up buying nine things with my one five DVD trade-in and I still had 4 uncrossed lines on the receipt when the promo ended.

Picked up:
* Almost Famous Bootleg Cut - $5
* Body Heat/L.A. Confidential/The Player - $7

I wanted to get Limitless and they didn't have it and the clerk said that they never had it. Huh? I had them check stock and the nearest place is 10-15 miles away, one way. Dafuq? It's a two-year-old hit movie starring Bradley Cooper, not some B-movie starring C. Thomas Howell. Looking on the site, it doesn't even offer store pickup. I tried a nearby Target and they didn't have it either. I guess I'll just pay $10 at Amazon. Bother.
Old 04-23-13, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

While on the whole I'm grateful to BB for the free $5 certificates and the U&S sales, I think I'm running low on $9.99 titles I actually want to buy, at least for now. However, I'll likely go back for one more round before this sale ends.

Haul #1
Killer Joe
Goldeneye
Dead Sushi
Se7en
Warrior

Plus on DVD
Hammer 3-Pack (Dracula, Prince of Darkness/ Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires/ Frankenstein Created Woman)

all for $26.18 after U&S and RZ certs.

Last edited by Gobear; 04-24-13 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-23-13, 09:28 PM

My local BB will NOT price match Blu-Rays & let you use the Upgrade & Save $5 off coupon. Gay, funny they told me I could then when rung up they told me I couldn't. Oh well, ordered off Amazon.
Old 04-23-13, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Trading in your DVD's before you look at the blus is a waste of time. Walk in with your DVD's (if you get hassled at all by the guy at the front door, he can put a sticker on them that shows they're yours), pick out your blu's, walk to customer service, and do the exchange and purchase in one transaction. That way you don't have to wait in line twice, and you don't trade in anything that you you can't find a blu to replace it with.
That's what I do
Old 04-24-13, 12:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I cleaned out a DT that I never frequent of .25 and .01 DVDs on my way to the store. The BBY above told me that they are not supposed to take DT DVDs anymore - even though a CSR did as the manager was telling me . I hope this is not a new policy
That sounds like a load of Bull----. How would they know if you bought something from Dollar Tree recently vs buying from Amazon or Walmart? As long as you remove the shrink wrap, it's in the original packaging and isn't something X rated they have to take it and give you a $5 coupon in return. If some CSR said this to me, I would call up corporate and report them on the spot. Nothing in the terms state where you can and cannot purchase DVDs to trade in.
Old 04-24-13, 12:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blu Soul
My local BB will NOT price match Blu-Rays & let you use the Upgrade & Save $5 off coupon. Gay, funny they told me I could then when rung up they told me I couldn't. Oh well, ordered off Amazon.
Why would they? That's considered "double dipping", just choose which is cheaper: a price match OR a $5 off coupon - you can't have both, simple as that. That would be similar to using two coupons for one Blu-ray
Old 04-24-13, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Frozen Planet/Life - special BBY packaging

unfortunately the version of Life is the one narrated by OW not DA but at $14.99 for both, this is a tremendous value

Got the last one in a store near me today
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Frozen+P...anet&lp=3&cp=1
Old 04-24-13, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Yeah, but it's also not just a store coupon either, you gave them something for that coupon. If they won't give you back $5, or give you another coupon, or give you back your DVD, that's kinda shitty.
Pure and simple, it's theft... or fraud... take your pick.
Old 04-24-13, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I'm not a slipcover or steelbook fanatic like many others are, when something is newly released and they are supposed to come with slipcovers it does bother me that somebody removed virtually all of them at BB (in the warehouse I assume) for some reason.
Conspiracy theories about slipcovers? Really.
Old 04-24-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also unfortunate is that 1 of the 2 nice people at my mean store said she is leaving. Apart from her and 1 other person, everyone else will strictly enforce and deny everything possible, i.e. only 5 U&S per day...
Employees who enforce corporate policies - Pure Evil.

Last edited by CapRockBrewingCo.; 04-24-13 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-24-13, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cwwallace
In the case of trading in something and then just "losing" the $5 coupon because you wanted to exchange for another title while the U&S promo is still active, as well as strictly enforcing a limit of 5 per day, are policies that don't hurt BB to break a little. In fact, it seems only decent to allow a person to exchange for another title if they change their mind rather than just lose the trade-in value of your DVD. I only got 7 BDs that day, so 2 more wasn't a serious breach (except here). While the average BB employee would've said no to doing it just because they can, this nice one didn't feel it was necessary to make me drive to another BB store or have to come back later for 2 more BDs, so she had a rare trait among BB employees called mercy and humanity. Sure, technically it's against their policy but they violate their policies all the time. Technically if every BB store were 100% consistent I wouldn't have grounds to complain, but I've been denied so many legitimate things in the past and I've read so many stories of other people being allowed things against policy (such as get a PM + U&S + mfg Q), I don't feel unreasonable expecting to get the same deals that others report, such as: doing more than 5 U&S in one trip, using a mfg Q on something on sale or that I used U&S. The PM + U&S is a total YMMV, and I haven't tried that recently and never expect it to work for me.

For example, technically nobody should ever be allowed to use any coupon on anything bought at BB unless it's at full list price because all coupons say something like "may not be combined with other offers" and in the odd eyes of many BB employees anything on sale at the store below normal list price is "an offer" (managers and supervisors have told me this in the past specifically), so any employee who has ever allowed anyone to use a mfg Q (such as The Sandlot $2.50 coupon) in combination with a sale price or U&S (or both) is violating policy. But I expect many people would be successful doing so and would have no problem when the employee breaks policy for them, but if they enforce the policy on me and I say something, it's not that BB is bad for its inconsistency but I am bad for complaining. I personally think it's a bad policy to enforce a 5 per day limit when the stores are spaced so far apart (10 per day would be better) or not allowing you to exchange for another title to avoid losing your $5 U&S trade-in while the U&S is still active in the system. BB still got the DVD and sold you 1 BD with a $5 discount, but apparently most people would prefer that when someone returns or exchanges for a different title that you have to trade in another DVD.

My original comment was solely that 1 of the 2 nice people who was willing to be merciful and reasonable was leaving my store. I didn't intend to make it into another discussion like this. The day BB enforces all policies strictly and consistently at all stores in the country so that nobody gets special deals others can't, then I promise to shut up and stop complaining about BB completely. That day will never happen unfortunately. BB employees are all over the map (YMMV) in their enforcement of policies, just as Sears and Kmart employees are consistently clueless on their promotions or how SYWR works (at least in my recent experience).
Originally Posted by kenbenobi
FYI, it is in the kids titles area. My store only had 1 copy, but a buttload of the Sandlot DVD's, so it is definitely the proper section for it.
Thanks for the tip. I looked there and then I asked the media person (actually the shelf stocker since as usual there were no BB media employees to be found). She checked the RSS and it said only 3 copies at 1 distant store in the entire area. I would've just done Express Lane for this, if they could take the mfg Q, but I was running out of time in the morning to get to work. Hopefully next time I'm there I'll have more than 30 minutes. But Express Lane + U&S + mfg Q = highly YMMV.
Old 04-24-13, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by cwwallace
More like inconsistent rules which vary day to day, and by employee = pure frustration.
Old 04-24-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was specifically referring to the consistent policy of 5 coupons per day. I'm pretty sure you can get around that rule easily enough if you come back later or choose to go to a different location - if you can't wait 24 whole hours.

BB employees may be inconsistent, but the policy has been the same. I just don't think it's productive to mope about it when one follows the corporate stated policy for like the 7th installment of U&S. Furthermore, store employees who don't follow policy (whether intentional or not) subject those who do follow the rules to unfair criticism.

I like U&S enough that gladly stay within the rules and benefit from it. Cheating the system only hurts what is already a frail retail sector at this point. Many applauded when Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics, Borders, etc went out of business but in the end, we all suffer from less competition.
Old 04-24-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I personally think it's a bad policy to enforce a 5 per day limit when the stores are spaced so far apart
Are you suggesting that BB open several stores in your area for your convenience and commit retail suicide? I'll bet California has more Best Buys than any other state. I would also guess that you have 5-6 Best Buy locations within a 25 mile radius. Millions of other Californians in other suburban areas also benefit when a store is convenient to their homes and workplaces. The world does not revolve around you.
Old 04-24-13, 11:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I have 5 locations in a 20 mile radius here in Austin. It's not just in California where that occurs. I also haven't had one issue doing a trade-in, then walking out and putting my purchase in my car, and walking back in with another 5 DVD's. Not that I've done it often, but when I did, I didn't have any "obey the rules" kind of arguments with BB employees.
Old 04-24-13, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Moviefan02
That sounds like a load of Bull----. How would they know if you bought something from Dollar Tree recently vs buying from Amazon or Walmart? As long as you remove the shrink wrap, it's in the original packaging and isn't something X rated they have to take it and give you a $5 coupon in return. If some CSR said this to me, I would call up corporate and report them on the spot. Nothing in the terms state where you can and cannot purchase DVDs to trade in.
Yeah, seriously, WTF???

Traded in 3 Dollar Tree DVD's and did the phone upgrade thingy, picked up:

Almost Famous Bootleg $5
Porky's $5
Grease $5
Losers/RocknRollla/Shoot 'Em Up $7
Old 04-24-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Trespoochies: I realize this also living in Texas. You also have a store in Bastrop and other mid-size towns outside of Austin. My point was that Manzana has a bunch of Best Buy locations in the same metropolitan area but to him, they are "spaced so far apart."

Traded in 4 yesterday & picked up Badlands CC, Sandlot, The Sessions, and The Sitter for right at $50. May go back this week again.
Old 04-24-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I traded in 5 Dollar Tree specials as I've done the past couple of U&S promotions and other than having to find a CSR who knew how to do the procedure, I had no problem.
Old 04-24-13, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just got Almost Famous and two triple features (Body Heat/LA Confidential/The Player & Searchers/Wild Bunch/How The West Was Won) for $20. I'm happy.
Old 04-24-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it me because it looks like there's nothing good to buy this time around???

What is the Price of the Jurassic Park 3D BD?
Old 04-24-13, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

3rd Haul:

Gangster Squad
Shameless season 1
The League season 3
Hansel & Gretel
John dies at the End
Maximum Conviction
House at the end of the Street
Sling Blade/Monster's Ball
Bloodsport/Timecop
Firefox/Heartbreak Ridge
Old 04-24-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Is it me because it looks like there's nothing good to buy this time around???

What is the Price of the Jurassic Park 3D BD?
$29.99 without coupon/$24.99 with coupon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.