Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Originally Posted by gbbound
Quick question...does Best Buy go by title or number of discs when trading in DVDs? If I turn in, say, a special edition DVD with 2 discs, will I get two $5 coupons, or only one?
I had a 2-disc set that came with a digital copy disc. I took the DVD out, swapped the case to a single disc case, and traded in just the digital copy. You can't get 2 coupons in my example, but you could keep the DVD (sans case/artwork). If you have the same movie on BD, you could put the DVD in that case to create your own combo pack (which is what I did).
Old 04-25-13, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Imail724
What's the likelihood Django Unchained will drop to $20 before this is over?
Originally Posted by trespoochies
64.3% chance.
Originally Posted by Imail724
I don't like those odds
Never tell me the odds!
Old 04-25-13, 12:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Never tell me the odds!
64.3% chance.
Old 04-25-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had a 2-disc set that came with a digital copy disc. I took the DVD out, swapped the case to a single disc case, and traded in just the digital copy. You can't get 2 coupons in my example, but you could keep the DVD (sans case/artwork). If you have the same movie on BD, you could put the DVD in that case to create your own combo pack (which is what I did).
You can also put a disc that is just the extras disc of a double disc set in an empty case, put a random DVD insert in the empty case for the cover and it should go through. Most inserts look like covers, but even if it's just a chapter listing insert, I've never been questioned.

Nothing for me this time around, but someone mentioned picking up GOLDENEYE. That's not $4.99 is it?
Old 04-25-13, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
You can also put a disc that is just the extras disc of a double disc set in an empty case, put a random DVD insert in the empty case for the cover and it should go through. Most inserts look like covers, but even if it's just a chapter listing insert, I've never been questioned.
Am I wrong in thinking that both of these examples are just plain old fraud?
Old 04-25-13, 03:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
not wrong. sounds dickish to me.
Old 04-25-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like it to me.
Old 04-25-13, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
Me too, to be honest, I always give full discs. The only remotely dickish thing I do is use some of my old review discs that I can't get rid of by giving to friends and such (they are full retail discs that I reviewed but sometimes have the UPC punched or scratched out). But the only other thing I can do with them at that point is shred them (which I do with screeners anyhow) and that seems such a waste to me.
Old 04-25-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no Beaver Cleaver but as I see it BB is doing me a favor and giving me $5 credit for something I probably couldn't sell for $2 in a garage sale. I give them everything that came with the original DVD. Why play games? It's not worth the time and effort.
Old 04-25-13, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It would be a crying shame to not send an actual movie to the recycle bin. A crying shame.
Old 04-25-13, 04:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I'm no Beaver Cleaver but as I see it BB is doing me a favor and giving me $5 credit for something I probably couldn't sell for $2 in a garage sale. I give them everything that came with the original DVD. Why play games? It's not worth the time and effort.
Same sentiment here. I'm actually surprised so many people are resorting to stuff like this. I always assumed most everyone who peruses these forums had a hefty amount of DVD's they'd be willing to trade in. I think I've traded in about 100 or so DVD's ever since these promos began, with still around 500 left. Of those remaining, I think I'll never part with about 200 of them total.
Old 04-25-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I keep the booklets and inserts. If the case is also in good shape, I'll take the disc and cover out and put it in a cracked/damaged case or an eco-case off of one of my "keeper" DVDs for the trade-in. I'll then put the disc I want to keep in that case. Good way to ditch eco-cases.

If I did have a two-disc set, with a second disc of special features that aren't included with the blu-ray edition of that movie, I would consider keeping the second disc and trade-in the movie disc in a single disc case, but I haven't run into that situation yet. Offhand, the only movie I think I own like that is Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but I don't feel any need to upgrade that movie to blu-ray. But in such an event, I'd probably just opt to hold onto the DVD since it appeals to my collector mentality.
Old 04-25-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I refute both of your statements. They're not re-selling the trade-ins. It's all being recycled or dumped in the trash. It's just like WB's trade-in deal, where you can trade-in ANY DVD. There's nothing in the BB rules which states you have to include all discs. They've also been accepting sampler discs. How is a Digital Copy any different? All they want is a disc in a matching case. They're doing the U&S promo to get more people in the store, and increase sales. They aren't doing this to build up a used-DVD library!
Old 04-25-13, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Same sentiment here. I'm actually surprised so many people are resorting to stuff like this. I always assumed most everyone who peruses these forums had a hefty amount of DVD's they'd be willing to trade in. I think I've traded in about 100 or so DVD's ever since these promos began, with still around 500 left. Of those remaining, I think I'll never part with about 200 of them total.
I can't believe people on this board actually still buy DVD's. Much less try to devise ways on how to save them and not trade them in. But to each their own. I rather have the extra space than to keep old DVD's that I will never watch again. I'm so used to HD that I popped in an old DVD I had and couldn't get past the first 10 mins it looked so bad.
Old 04-25-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said.
Old 04-25-13, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I can't believe people on this board actually still buy DVD's. Much less try to devise ways on how to save them and not trade them in. But to each their own. I rather have the extra space than to keep old DVD's that I will never watch again. I'm so used to HD that I popped in an old DVD I had and couldn't get past the first 10 mins it looked so bad.
Eh, some movies are released DVD only and probably have a very small chance of being released in bluray.
Old 04-25-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I understand that but if that were the case I would rather either wait or see if a service like Vudu streams it in HD and buy it for my digital library.
Old 04-25-13, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, between that and people gloating about using the receipt to use coupons that they have already used is pretty bad. I don't know how that is any different than stealing.
Old 04-25-13, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

I understand that but if that were the case I would rather either wait or see if a service like Vudu streams it in HD and buy it for my digital library.
I have no intwrest in a digital library so I keep the dvds that arent available on bluray disc..
Old 04-25-13, 07:06 PM

I refute both of your statements. They're not re-selling the trade-ins. It's all being recycled or dumped in the trash. It's just like WB's trade-in deal, where you can trade-in ANY DVD. There's nothing in the BB rules which states you have to include all discs. They've also been accepting sampler discs. How is a Digital Copy any different? All they want is a disc in a matching case. They're doing the U&S promo to get more people in the store, and increase sales. They aren't doing this to build up a used-DVD library!
Justify it all you want to help you sleep better I presume, but it is a dick move to switch out for the non-DVD product. Frankly, I could just about care less about most my DVDs now and look on most my early collection with scorn and disdain. Not entirely true, but still...
Old 04-25-13, 07:20 PM

Justify it all you want to help you sleep better I presume, but it is a dick move to switch out for the non-DVD product. Frankly, I could just about care less about most my DVDs now and look on most my early collection with scorn and disdain. Not entirely true, but still...
"scorn and disdain" .. "A dick move" .. really. I find it amazing at how some people walk in such legalism and law that they would fight for what does not matter.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Yeah, between that and people gloating about using the receipt to use coupons that they have already used is pretty bad. I don't know how that is any different than stealing.
I can understand .. .why you can't see the difference.
Old 04-25-13, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
"scorn and disdain" .. "A dick move" .. really. I find it amazing at how some people walk in such legalism and law that they would fight for what does not matter.
Whether I care about my former self's collecting habits is irrelevant...if your a dick, I'm calling you out on it.
Old 04-25-13, 07:40 PM
Banned

Whether I care about my former self's collecting habits is irrelevant...if your a dick, I'm calling you out on it.
technically, Scott is 100% right here.

• Posting Information on how to defraud any company or promotion of any kind of illegal or unethical activity.
• Anything aimed at defrauding or taking advantage of another company, exploiting flaws or weaknesses in their systems or sites.

Now, if only those 2 rules were linked on every page....oh, wait, they are. It's called RULES. Right is right, wrong is wrong, people defending themselves and their dick moves need to realize their dick moves are, in fact, dick moves, and also realize the place to brag about stealing from companies is that one self-titled Blu-ray site. Thieving dicks who justify their douchebaggery by any means necessary is their entire user base.
Old 04-25-13, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by n8boss87
technically, Scott is 100% right here.

• Posting Information on how to defraud any company or promotion of any kind of illegal or unethical activity.
• Anything aimed at defrauding or taking advantage of another company, exploiting flaws or weaknesses in their systems or sites.

Now, if only those 2 rules were linked on every page....oh, wait, they are. It's called RULES. Right is right, wrong is wrong, people defending themselves and their dick moves need to realize their dick moves are, in fact, dick moves, and also realize the place to brag about stealing from companies is that one self-titled Blu-ray site. Thieving dicks who justify their douchebaggery by any means necessary is their entire user base.
I don't condone, justify or care about what another user does. It is not my responsibility to monitor their actions or criticize them because they break the rules of the forum or the rules of a corporate promotion. What advantage do you have in pointing out that their actions seem to break your moral code or what you think is "shady" or "douchebaggery"? It is simply you protesting that your righteousness is better than his.

I wouldn't be so bold, but I do understand the sentiment.
Old 04-25-13, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't done it myself, but if Best Buy doesn't care enough to verify the contents of a case before tossing it into the recycle bin, why should you? Also, aren't some of you that are complaining also doubling up on Facebook accounts to capture extra points for your BBR program? :P

Anyway, planning on going to BB this Sunday. Going for:

Red Dwarf 10
Willow
Hotel Transylvania

And maybe whatever else catches my eye.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.