Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Old 04-26-13, 03:14 PM
  #251  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,656
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
Here's what I do: I have about 50 crappy kiddie DVDs I've bought from Dollar Tree for a quarter (or sometimes a penny!) each that I hand in and there is no question as to whether I'm gaming the system because I'm not.
I hate to burst your bubble, but someone else posted that their store no longer accepts the Dollar Trees DVD's because they believe you ARE "gaming the system" as you put it. So even though you aren't doing anything wrong, apparently some stores think you are!
Old 04-26-13, 03:27 PM
  #252  
Senior Member
 
malazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 580
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

I made my second trip today.

16 Blocks/The Last Boy Scout/Last Man Standing
Deep Blue Sea/The Long Kiss Goodnight/Snakes on a Plane
Heat

I also picked up Children of Men with the $8 in Fandango cash for Oblivion for the heck of it.
Old 04-26-13, 03:29 PM
  #253  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Torchur317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Shelbyville, Indiana
Posts: 3,385
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

5th Haul:

Pawn
Willow
Shark Night
In Time
Old 04-26-13, 04:03 PM
  #254  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Around and about...
Posts: 1,400
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Originally Posted by kenbenobi View Post
I hate to burst your bubble, but someone else posted that their store no longer accepts the Dollar Trees DVD's because they believe you ARE "gaming the system" as you put it. So even though you aren't doing anything wrong, apparently some stores think you are!
I saw that and it was AFTER I'd traded them in that day. (Was it our usual Beast Buy crybaby who always seems to have trouble at every store he goes to but never seems to realize what the common factor in all his bad experiences is?) Are you really trying to equate sticking the DC disc and insert into a case and trying to pass it off as a full DVD with buying cheap crap that fulfills all posted requirements?
Old 04-26-13, 04:25 PM
  #255  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,656
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
I saw that and it was AFTER I'd traded them in that day. (Was it our usual Beast Buy crybaby who always seems to have trouble at every store he goes to but never seems to realize what the common factor in all his bad experiences is?) Are you really trying to equate sticking the DC disc and insert into a case and trying to pass it off as a full DVD with buying cheap crap that fulfills all posted requirements?
No, it wasn't Manzana, and nowhere did I say I was equating those two scenarios. I was just commenting on your statement "there is no question as to whether I'm gaming the system because I'm not" because to some stores, you are.

But if you want me to equate the two scenarios, I will. At least I'm trading in stuff I already own (which was BB's intention), and not purposely buying CRAP from another store to dump on BB. So don't try to pretend that you're a saint, because you aren't. (I'm referring solely to the 25 cent and 1 cent titles, which are not typical store-bought DVD's)

Most people in this thread have done things which are questionable to others. Many people are strongly opinionated, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. If you want to post negative statements for what I've done, so be it. You're entitled to your opinion. But you'll never make me agree with you. You think what you are doing is not "gaming the system" but it most certainly is. You're just doing it a different way. The only true people not "gaming the system" are those who are trading in store-bought DVD's that they already own. They're the ONLY ones.

I suppose our definitions of "gaming the system" could be different, so I'll state mine. I define it as: "manipulating the system for your own benefit."

Last edited by kenbenobi; 04-26-13 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-26-13, 04:44 PM
  #256  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,656
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

FYI, I'm going to stop going into this thread. I don't want to continue the arguments. If I read a response, I feel compelled to reply. The only way I'll stop, is if I don't read them. So please go back to the posting of the U&S deals. I'll keep out of here...
Old 04-26-13, 04:50 PM
  #257  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Originally Posted by kenbenobi View Post
Please show me anything from Best Buy stating that you must return multiple discs. All it says in "trade in a DVD." I'm not fooling or tricking them. I'm trading in a DVD. That's all they want. That's all they're getting. What about people trading in a box set as separate DVD's? That's equally as "deceptive"! They are separating ONE title into 4-5 separate titles. I see no difference.

How can you say they are "accepting something they wouldn't normally." NORMALLY? This promotion is the ONLY time they accept trade-ins. This is an normal as it gets. "Normally" a store would not accept a box set broken up into separate discs for multiple trade-ins. "Normally" a store would not accept sampler discs as trade-ins. But Best Buy does. They allow it. No laws are being broken here. I'm glad you aren't in charge of this promotion... Like I said, Best Buy just wants to bring in more business. They don't give a crap what is traded in. The only rule is "no porn." If they cared, they'd have many more rules than that.
I think breaking up a box set is shady too. I'm not sure why you're extrapolating the word normally into something outrageous, I simply mean a standard DVD release as it originally was packaged.

If the employees at your store don't care, then do whatever you want. I'm glad I'm not running the promotion either since I'd have to deal with people trying to do these things.
Old 04-26-13, 05:29 PM
  #258  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
CapRockBrewingCo.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Formerly known as "cwwallace"/29.92, -95.09
Posts: 2,074
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Originally Posted by kenbenobi View Post
Isn't that OOP?
IIRC, they were reissued by Warner.
Old 04-26-13, 07:28 PM
  #259  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jdpatri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,745
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

FYI The Frighteners is on sale for 11.99 and also comes with Oblivion cash.
Old 04-26-13, 07:51 PM
  #260  
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner
 
Obi-Wanma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit - Formerly known as Obi-Wan Jabroni
Posts: 11,886
Received 422 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Picked up:

Blade $4.99
Tropic Thunder $4.99
Fantastic Four/Fantastic Four: Rise of the Sliver Surfer $6.99
Bridesmaids $9.99 (Rang up 19.99, and I asked them to price match the website at 15.99, and they apparantly adjusted it to 14.99 instead)
Old 04-26-13, 08:44 PM
  #261  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 38,177
Received 1,242 Likes on 891 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I think breaking up a box set is shady too. I'm not sure why you're extrapolating the word normally into something outrageous, I simply mean a standard DVD release as it originally was packaged.
Hm. I have the old "Scream" boxed set with all three movies in their own keepcases and the fourth DVD of extras exclusive to the box. If I were to trade it in, I'd probably keep the fourth DVD for myself and then trade in each of the three "Scream" movies separately. I don't see anything "shady" about that since all three movies were released on their own.

I also have the old "Prisoner" boxed DVD set from A&E that came in ten regular-sized keepcases. I could trade in each of those DVDs (they each have their own barcode on the cover) for $5 each, for a total of $50. I don't know why I should turn in the whole box for a single $5 coupon just because it originally came in a box. Like the "Scream" set, these DVDs were released separately before they were compiled into a box.

Note, however, that I am not planning on trading in my Prisoner DVDs at this time since there are ten of them and Best Buy rarely has more than four or five blu-rays I want to get during these sales and I don't want to break up my boxed set because I can still probably sell it. I'll probably hang onto my old Scream set, too, even though I got the trilogy from Deepdiscount for $13 and change with their recent coupon.

Now, something that I would consider "shady" would be to take a boxed set of multiple movies in a single case/package, printing out new covers for them, and putting each movie in a keepcase with the printed cover and taking those in for trade. That would be unethical because the rules of the program state that each DVD has to be in its retail packaging (or however it's worded). But if it's something like the old Scream set, The Prisoner set, the original Indiana Jones set, or any other set where each movie is packed in its own retail keepcase, I see nothing wrong with turning each movie in for a U&S coupon.
Old 04-26-13, 08:57 PM
  #262  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,617
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

guess I don't have a lot of dvd's to trade in and must have blurays, I did though purchase 'Schindler's List' for $19.99
Old 04-26-13, 11:24 PM
  #263  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 979
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Two trips today:

Inside Man
Blade
48 Hours
Mission: Impossible (with $7.50 G.I. Joe: Retaliation movie cash)
The Thing (1982) (with $8 Oblivion movie cash)
^ $4.99 each

Swordfish/Point Break/Executive Decision $6.99
Sling Blade/Monster's Ball $6.99
Jarhead/The Kingdom/Green Zone $6.99 (price matched bestbuy.com)
Crazy, Stupid, Love $4.99
The Prophecy 5 film collection $4.99
Old 04-26-13, 11:39 PM
  #264  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
E_v_i_l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,385
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Haul #4:

Wild China - $14.99
Lion King - $14.99

I went to the Best Buy which I consider to be the best in my area and didn't see a single thing that other stores I've been in this week didn't have. Every title was facing out and many shelves were completely bare. I scanned through the entire section in about 20 minutes. It brought back memories of the final weeks of Borders.

I think the majority of the rest of my purchases this U&S will come from the endcaps. The days of finding $9.99 titles in the A-Z/genre sections that are not currently on sale are just about gone.
Old 04-26-13, 11:56 PM
  #265  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

I got a nice lil haul today:

In Time - $5 (All U&S)
Sandlot - $5 (finally found a store stocked with these, they had a few)
and BBC Earth: Life and BBC Earth: Frozen Planet 2 Pack for $15

Funny considering they're doing either Life or Frozen Planet for $20, but this store had "Exclusive" 2 packs for $20 which were just shrinkwrapped together.
Old 04-26-13, 11:58 PM
  #266  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 69,361
Received 1,663 Likes on 1,220 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

I have 2 coupons left.

Looking ahead to next week's ad, there isn't really anything there I want. I was thinking about Star Trek: TNG season 3 and BOBW, but Target's deal with the $10 off is far better.
Old 04-27-13, 01:40 AM
  #267  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Hm. I have the old "Scream" boxed set with all three movies in their own keepcases and the fourth DVD of extras exclusive to the box. If I were to trade it in, I'd probably keep the fourth DVD for myself and then trade in each of the three "Scream" movies separately. I don't see anything "shady" about that since all three movies were released on their own.

I also have the old "Prisoner" boxed DVD set from A&E that came in ten regular-sized keepcases. I could trade in each of those DVDs (they each have their own barcode on the cover) for $5 each, for a total of $50. I don't know why I should turn in the whole box for a single $5 coupon just because it originally came in a box. Like the "Scream" set, these DVDs were released separately before they were compiled into a box.

Note, however, that I am not planning on trading in my Prisoner DVDs at this time since there are ten of them and Best Buy rarely has more than four or five blu-rays I want to get during these sales and I don't want to break up my boxed set because I can still probably sell it. I'll probably hang onto my old Scream set, too, even though I got the trilogy from Deepdiscount for $13 and change with their recent coupon.

Now, something that I would consider "shady" would be to take a boxed set of multiple movies in a single case/package, printing out new covers for them, and putting each movie in a keepcase with the printed cover and taking those in for trade. That would be unethical because the rules of the program state that each DVD has to be in its retail packaging (or however it's worded). But if it's something like the old Scream set, The Prisoner set, the original Indiana Jones set, or any other set where each movie is packed in its own retail keepcase, I see nothing wrong with turning each movie in for a U&S coupon.
Oops, yeah the second part is what I meant. The first I don't see an issue with, like the Mission Impossible or Resident Evil box sets too.
Old 04-27-13, 09:41 AM
  #268  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Larry C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Let's Go Heat!
Posts: 7,493
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Originally Posted by yeldarb367 View Post
Two trips today:

Inside Man
Blade
48 Hours
Mission: Impossible (with $7.50 G.I. Joe: Retaliation movie cash)
The Thing (1982) (with $8 Oblivion movie cash)
^ $4.99 each

Swordfish/Point Break/Executive Decision $6.99
Sling Blade/Monster's Ball $6.99
Jarhead/The Kingdom/Green Zone $6.99 (price matched bestbuy.com)
Crazy, Stupid, Love $4.99
The Prophecy 5 film collection $4.99
Swordfish/Point Break/Executive Decision sounds good I have none of those on BD.

So does the Jarhead triple feature.
Old 04-27-13, 10:11 AM
  #269  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
That'sAllFolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,720
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I think breaking up a box set is shady too.
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
Sigh...It's not an U&S thread without someone posting some morally grey method they've used as if we're all supposed to applaud them for their shenanigans.
Originally Posted by kenbenobi View Post
But if you want me to equate the two scenarios, I will. At least I'm trading in stuff I already own (which was BB's intention), and not purposely buying CRAP from another store to dump on BB. So don't try to pretend that you're a saint, because you aren't. (I'm referring solely to the 25 cent and 1 cent titles, which are not typical store-bought DVD's)
No matter what you do, it is in your heart to do what you think is right. Those that try to "IMPOSE" their morality on others are simply self-righteousness. I neither condone or disparage a person's actions in these cases that are so trivial as the "victiM" probably doesn't even care. Have any of you ever copied YOUR OWN CD. Some of the "legalese" states that is s AGAINST THE LAW. Yet, some that might argue that it's OK to do that would attack others who trade in DCs or junk to BBY. These people create their own "morality" because it is simply IMPOSSIBLE TO KEEP THE LAW.

Anyway, I did a return/rebuy last night and got
Gothika - 1.00 (PM to Fry's)

4.99
FernGully:
Thumbelina
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Limitless - Widescreen AC3 Dolby Dts
The Sandlot (they wouldn't accept the coupon b/c it said "walmart", I will try later to get it applied. But I wanted this and it is NOWHERE in my area)
Water for Elephants
The Evil Dead
All Dogs Go to Heaven 2
Dragon Dynasty Triple Feature: Jet LI Collection
Into the Wild
Fletch

So far, with all the BBY promotions lately and some GC's from bad CS, I haven't spent a dime OOP this U&S!!


One question: When I was doing the return/rebuy, Sandlot and the Jet Li collection were ringing up as 14.99 and 11.99 resp. They PM'd the website and applied the U&S, but this happened in the last U&S, even on items that others were reporting had not gone up in price. Is it because my location does not normally carry these items that when I do the rebuy the price is higher instore -- or is the Sandlot really 14.99 instore -- because noone has reported that.

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 04-27-13 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-27-13, 11:11 AM
  #270  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9,459
Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Would this work if I wanted to upgrade my nightmare on elm street dvd set to bluray.
Old 04-27-13, 11:29 AM
  #271  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 1,827
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

For those looking for The Sandlot, check the comedy section instead of the family section. $4.99 works for me.
Old 04-27-13, 11:34 AM
  #272  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 20,919
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Would this work if I wanted to upgrade my nightmare on elm street dvd set to bluray.
Would what work?

Take the dvd in, they give you a $5 coupon, go buy the bluray.
If each one dvd is a seperate case trade all of them in for a $5 coupon for each one. Five per day.
Old 04-27-13, 01:01 PM
  #273  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 1,934
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
Spoiler:
No matter what you do, it is in your heart to do what you think is right. Those that try to "IMPOSE" their morality on others are simply self-righteousness. I neither condone or disparage a person's actions in these cases that are so trivial as the "victiM" probably doesn't even care. Have any of you ever copied YOUR OWN CD. Some of the "legalese" states that is s AGAINST THE LAW. Yet, some that might argue that it's OK to do that would attack others who trade in DCs or junk to BBY. These people create their own "morality" because it is simply IMPOSSIBLE TO KEEP THE LAW.

Anyway, I did a return/rebuy last night and got
Gothika - 1.00 (PM to Fry's)


4.99
FernGully:
Thumbelina
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Limitless - Widescreen AC3 Dolby Dts
The Sandlot (they wouldn't accept the coupon b/c it said "walmart", I will try later to get it applied. But I wanted this and it is NOWHERE in my area)
Water for Elephants
The Evil Dead
All Dogs Go to Heaven 2
Dragon Dynasty Triple Feature: Jet LI Collection
Into the Wild
Fletch

Spoiler:
So far, with all the BBY promotions lately and some GC's from bad CS, I haven't spent a dime OOP this U&S!!


One question: When I was doing the return/rebuy, Sandlot and the Jet Li collection were ringing up as 14.99 and 11.99 resp. They PM'd the website and applied the U&S, but this happened in the last U&S, even on items that others were reporting had not gone up in price. Is it because my location does not normally carry these items that when I do the rebuy the price is higher instore -- or is the Sandlot really 14.99 instore -- because noone has reported that.
Is there supposed to be any differences with this title? I see there is one with an unrated extended version(which is the one I have) and one without.
Old 04-27-13, 01:53 PM
  #274  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

Originally Posted by tofferman View Post
For those looking for The Sandlot, check the comedy section instead of the family section. $4.99 works for me.
Not only did I check both sections, but I had the media person check the RSS for all nearby stores and only one had it (which was too far away). I'm still hoping to Express Lane it with U&S next week, but I know that's always YMMV. Basically store to store and region to region the inventory varies a lot, and I have no idea (given BB's stated plans to reduce BD inventory) how much, if any, restocks BB gets of these titles lately (especially during U&S).
Old 04-27-13, 02:16 PM
  #275  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 8,800
Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save 4/21/13 - 5/11/13

I went for trip 2 yesterday. I have been saying I would wait for a cheaper price on Django, but I just couldn't resist. This is what I came away with. Prices are after coupon:

Django (Best Buy exclusive) - $19.99
The Lorax 3D - $14.99
American Beauty - $4.99
Attack the Block - $4.99
In the Line of Fire - $4.99

I'm not sure if I will go for another round. There are a couple of other $9.99 titles I would get, but I don't know. I might just wait to see what the sale prices are for the last week.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.