Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Wreck-It Ralph release week pricing

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Wreck-It Ralph release week pricing

In the all-time blunders of "Read The Fine Print" history, I didn't realize that the coupon only was for FOUR DAYS. My plans to wait until Saturday to purchase it with Best Buy RZ certs has been thwarted. I'm really only interested in the 3D Blu-ray.

Anyone will to part with theirs? Please PM if so.
Old 03-10-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
are you seriously selling the DVD to your SISTER for $5?
As opposed to keeping it and never using it?
Old 03-10-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
As opposed to keeping it and never using it?
I think he meant as opposed to just giving it to her, because she's your sister (hence the CAPS).
Old 03-10-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by hariseldon
You do realize that they are coming out with them in BD cases also? If you don;t want the DVD size cases, then buy the BD size case with the same discs.
I guess I mis-read Obi-Wan Jabroni's comments and assumed that meant Disney was not released BDs in BD cases any more to save on packaging costs. I'm glad to hear from you and him that that's not the case, so I take back my prior comments. Disney isn't quite as bad as I thought... at least not yet.
Old 03-11-13, 07:49 AM

I am glad Disney had no BD-in-DVD cases for Ralph. It is annoying that TRUS will only carry DVD cases (unless there also is a 3D version) - Wish Disney would stop making them. It probably cost them more to have all these different packaging. Most customers not to mention store clerks have no idea what the two different cases mean - When shopping I have had to explain to them on quite a few occasions what the two cases are!

Plus we do NOT want Manzana now getting mad at Disney too
Old 03-11-13, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by soundman2
Do you want to get me started on a rant on Disney? I'm not mad at them per se, but they do annoy me by their high prices and general lack of coupons. They also disappoint me by how many great movies they have in their "vault" but refuse to release (vault being a virtual term meaning greedy managers who refuse to release old movies in an effort to build up demand). I guess we're lucky to be getting their animated movies on BD at all... who knows if we'll live long enough to see live action like The Love Bug, The Parent Trap, 20000 Leagues, Swiss Family Robinson, etc. (i.e. the popular titles) released on BDs in decent widescreen editions. We know we'll never see lower tiered movies like Scandalous John, Westward Ho the Wagons, or A Tiger Walks on BD or in widescreen. There are at least 100 other good live action Disney films I'd love to see get decent widescreen releases, but I'm realistic enough to realize they never will (probably in ANY current or future format). It's almost like... why don't you just burn those movies, Disney, since you'll never release most of them? Besides the 3 Dexter Riley and Barefoot Executive movies, Kurt Russell did several other movies as a kid. Think we'll ever see those? The only copies I'll ever see are my old VHS tapes (which are probably dead or dying of old age) back when The Disney Channel actually played classic Disney stuff without an annoying in-your-face bug logo.

I guess I should consider myself lucky because they'd be tempting me if they did release them, and Disney would charge $20-$30 for obscure titles. I remember the days when they used to put old Walt Disney Treasures with cool stuff inside. They don't even do that now. So, I think Disney is great... Walter Elias Disney that is. This company that bears his name after he died, I can't say that I'm very impressed with it, but apart from hoarding all of his great movies like a spoiled greedy baby saying "mine! mine! mine!", my complaint is their prices. I'm going to have to use the DMC enrollment method soon to get some of them (until they shut that down).
Old 03-11-13, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Well, all of next weeks releases (Mulan, Brother Bear, Hunchback, Roger Rabbit) are being released in DVD packaging.

I think they're not releasing the new from theaters stuff in DVD packaging but the catalog releases are getting it. I dunno why. Brave wasn't released in DVD packaging either.
This is only an issue for me when I am trying to buy from TRU. Usually my TRU only has the most expensive version in blu cases, and the blu/dvd combo pack is in the DVD case. This time around shouldn't be a problem because I don't think they have any pre-order deals going on anyway, so I'll just buy them elsewhere. But thanks for the info.
Old 03-11-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What movies are in the Disney vault right now, anyway (meaning titles that were released on DVD or BD already, but are no longer available)? I can't think of anything, but surely there must be something...
Old 03-11-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
What movies are in the Disney vault right now, anyway (meaning titles that were released on DVD or BD already, but are no longer available)? I can't think of anything, but surely there must be something...
Snow White and Pinocchio. There might be others as well.
Old 03-11-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Snow White and Pinocchio. There might be others as well.
Amazon vendors have these 2 used for around $35+ and new over $60. Just wow.
Old 03-11-13, 04:50 PM

Aladdin, Bambi, Bambi II, Beauty and the Beast, Dumbo, Fantasia/Fantasia 2000, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White

Soon to go in the vault: The Lion King (and all its sequels), Lady & the Tramp, Lady & the Tramp 2

There are probably more.
Old 03-11-13, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Thanks for the info, guys. I may have some unopened DVD's lying around which I can try to unload. I had no idea so many titles were in the vault right now. Does Disney keep a list on their website? For instance, how does one know that Lion King is going into the vault soon?

I didn't realize Monsters Inc was in the vault, and would have unloaded my BD before it was re-released. I'm still kicking myself for that. So now I want to keep tabs on this stuff, so I can plan ahead. It feels like some of those titles came out recently. I can't believe they're in the vault already!
Old 03-11-13, 05:19 PM

^ Thanks for the info, guys. I may have some unopened DVD's lying around which I can try to unload. I had no idea so many titles were in the vault right now. Does Disney keep a list on their website? For instance, how does one know that Lion King is going into the vault soon?

I didn't realize Monsters Inc was in the vault, and would have unloaded my BD before it was re-released. I'm still kicking myself for that. So now I want to keep tabs on this stuff, so I can plan ahead. It feels like some of those titles came out recently. I can't believe they're in the vault already!
As far as I know, Disney doesn't keep a list on their website. I think I saw the info about what's going back into the vault on the Disney Movie Rewards facebook page.

Also, I'm not positive that Dumbo is in the vault, I think it is because blus that came out after it are in the vault now.
Old 03-11-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dumbo is still on Amazon (sold by Amazon), so I don't think it's back in the vault yet. Same with Bambi and Beauty and the Beast. Sleeping Beauty is though.
Old 03-11-13, 07:23 PM

Dumbo is still on Amazon (sold by Amazon), so I don't think it's back in the vault yet. Same with Bambi and Beauty and the Beast. Sleeping Beauty is though.
Disney movies can be back in the vault but still on sale. They don't pull any remaining inventory from vendors, they just don't ship new ones anymore. Amazon likely still has stock from before they went in the vault (or 3rd party sellers are selling them).
Old 03-11-13, 08:57 PM

I didn't realize Monsters Inc was in the vault, and would have unloaded my BD before it was re-released. I'm still kicking myself for that.
Mosnsters Inc. wasn't really "in the vault" per se. Pixar movies don't really go in the vault. It was only briefly out of print because of the re-release. Still, some people were able to take advantage of stupid people during that short period and make some bucks.
Old 03-11-13, 09:00 PM

I think Dumbo is another title that doesn't really go "in the vault". It was almost constantly in print on DVD. Bambi and Beauty and the Beast have definitely been put back in the vault, but as others have said, they don't yank inventory, they just stop printing them.
Old 03-11-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
Do you want to get me started on a rant on Disney? I'm not mad at them per se, but they do annoy me by their high prices and general lack of coupons. They also disappoint me by how many great movies they have in their "vault" but refuse to release (vault being a virtual term meaning greedy managers who refuse to release old movies in an effort to build up demand). I guess we're lucky to be getting their animated movies on BD at all... who knows if we'll live long enough to see live action like The Love Bug, The Parent Trap, 20000 Leagues, Swiss Family Robinson, etc. (i.e. the popular titles) released on BDs in decent widescreen editions. We know we'll never see lower tiered movies like Scandalous John, Westward Ho the Wagons, or A Tiger Walks on BD or in widescreen. There are at least 100 other good live action Disney films I'd love to see get decent widescreen releases, but I'm realistic enough to realize they never will (probably in ANY current or future format). It's almost like... why don't you just burn those movies, Disney, since you'll never release most of them? Besides the 3 Dexter Riley and Barefoot Executive movies, Kurt Russell did several other movies as a kid. Think we'll ever see those? ...
Regretfully, I have agree with a lot of what you say. Although, I don't think it's greedy managers, so much as cluelessness management that mistakenly think today's kids don't (or won't) like older movies. My experience (with young family members and friends children) is that they appreciate them as much as I did when I was young. I have yet to see one who isn't sadden by Old Yeller or Greyfriars Bobby.

Originally Posted by Manzana
I guess I should consider myself lucky because they'd be tempting me if they did release them, and Disney would charge $20-$30 for obscure titles. ... So, I think Disney is great... Walter Elias Disney that is. This company that bears his name after he died, I can't say that I'm very impressed with it, but apart from hoarding all of his great movies like a spoiled greedy baby saying "mine! mine! mine!", my complaint is their prices. I'm going to have to use the DMC enrollment method soon to get some of them (until they shut that down).
Well... those films are their property. As for the prices, Disney is a name brand that produces a premium product (for the most part), so they charge a premium price. I'm choosy, but I'm willing to pay.

What I don't get is the pricing philosophy that allows big titles (Pixar) to be offered for bargain prices (release days typically, special sales, or usually after a year has passed) while second tier titles remain absurdly high and never see a price reduction until some ridiculous time period has elapsed. I'm thinking Bolt here. I really liked Bolt, but the price was ridiculous. I got so frustrated waiting for a price drop I bought a used copy from a video rental store closing. The case was labelled BR + DVD, but it only had the BR.

I joined the DMC to get those older, live-action titles because I've been waiting decades to get movies I haven't been able to see since I was a kid. If they're only on DVD that's fine. I just wish they'd stick to the title's OAR, but I can live with that also... to a certain degree. Westward Ho was passable (barely), but it could have been so much better. I really hope they give "Light in the Forest" the treatment it deserves.

In regards to these sort of things, I really think Disney is blowing an opportunity big time. I have no doubt they've done their market research over the past decade +, but I think the big flaw is that research asked kids parents (20 and 30 somethings) what their kids would like (and didn't run anything past the kids themselves) and those parents had little (if any) exposure to older live-action, 50s & 60s Disney titles.

And the older demographics that did have exposure to those titles as kids are really getting older. Before long we'll be getting to the point where we'll lose interest altogether and/or die off. In another decade or so, there will be little interest (beyond film history) in those titles. For all monetary intents and purposes, Disney may as well burn them for all the good it will have done them not to release them properly.
Old 03-12-13, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by soundman2
You just HAD to say it.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Mosnsters Inc. wasn't really "in the vault" per se. Pixar movies don't really go in the vault. It was only briefly out of print because of the re-release. Still, some people were able to take advantage of stupid people during that short period and make some bucks.
Or at the very least, I was able to completely offset my cost of upgrading the Blu-ray to BD3D.

Other recent victories due to keeping track of OOP Disney titles: sold Roger Rabbit DVD for $20, and the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh DVD for $35 (both coming out on BD).

Does Disney keep a list on their website? For instance, how does one know that Lion King is going into the vault soon?
They make announcements periodically that get posted by news sites. But they don't have a public master list that you can check.

However, I've found this thread to be the most useful for keeping track of the Vault. It's updated regularly:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420310
Old 03-12-13, 08:24 AM

What I don't get is the pricing philosophy that allows big titles (Pixar) to be offered for bargain prices (release days typically, special sales, or usually after a year has passed) while second tier titles remain absurdly high and never see a price reduction until some ridiculous time period has elapsed. I'm thinking Bolt here. I really liked Bolt, but the price was ridiculous. I got so frustrated waiting for a price drop I bought a used copy from a video rental store closing. The case was labelled BR + DVD, but it only had the BR

In some instance such as Bolt I found it better to go for the 3D version (with BD+DVD) , they can go on sale and are cheaper then just BD/DVD version. Best had Bolt 3D for $15 during holidays ( or $19.99 - $ 5 best buy upgrade at other times). I was able to get them then.
Old 03-14-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by macontosh2000
Got my non-3d version at best buy yesterday. Unfortunately i got home and realized i got a bad copy, about 25 minutes into the movie it pauses and skips. I am going to have to exchange it this weekend.
Where does it skip?

I swear I watched it the first time and it didn't skip, but maybe I wasn't paying attention. But watching it a second time, there's a clear skip when Ralph goes up to the penthouse for the party. Personally I think the disk got scratched because of the dumb packaging (or I guess you can blame my fat fingers), because my Secret of the Wings Blu also has a skip near the end.

Also on a fully updated PS3.

I thought Blu Rays were much harder to scratch? Or maybe there is a problem with the PS3 if it's the same spot...

Last edited by fujishig; 03-14-13 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-14-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

That's just Glitch.