Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Upgrade and Save coming back! 1/13 - 2/2

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Upgrade and Save coming back! 1/13 - 2/2

^ That sucks. Stores here in Oklahoma look like that all the time.

I managed to get Fight Club, Pulp Fiction and Scarface for $5 each today.
Old 01-15-13, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not too many great $9.99 titles. I'm probably in for Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) and the triple pack Hot Fuzz ($9.99 after U&S).
Old 01-15-13, 04:54 PM

Tried 2 stores today, and neither have those 3 packs. Shit.
Old 01-15-13, 04:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

picked up:
Taken 2
Pineapple Express
Austin Powers Triple Feature
16 Blocks/The Last BoyScout/Last Man Standing
Flash Gordon

Sleepwalk with Me (DVD)

10 movies all for $40.xx with U&S, $5.00 RZ and $4.xx GC.
Old 01-15-13, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mhanlen1
Tried 2 stores today, and neither have those 3 packs. Shit.

Sorry to hear that. The first store I tried was picked over with only a few left, but the second smaller (go figure) store had at least one copy of all the 3 packs. Made me a happy human!
Old 01-15-13, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brent L
I wouldn't be shocked if they actually do strip the shelves of certain titles. I almost took pictures of the store when I went in today since there were entire areas of $9.99 titles that were just, well, stripped bare.

I wanted Guns Of Navarone and it was a nightmare. First off, like almost everything else in that section, it was tagged but empty. I asked a guy about it and he told me since it was an old that it was discontinued and they no longer sold it. I had to just about drag him to the tag, and he told me it was old. I told him to look closer, and finally he believed me when it was obviously a brand new tag printed just that morning listing that the price is good until March.

I finally talked him into taking a look at it on the in store customer kiosk. Since it came up as "shipping to store not available" he told me that it was indeed discontinued and they wouldn't ever have it again. Once more, I had to just about force the moron to take the SKU and actually look that up in their actual in store database. When he finally did that it came up as having three in their system, shown as in stock and available to purchase. I asked him to check the back, and he finally went back there. He came back and said that they must be in new boxes unsealed. I told him that may not be possible since they are already listed as in the store and available, and he told me all he could do is tell me to come back the next day when they'll put more stock out.

I said fine, whatever, and went back to the tag on the shelf and took it to customer service. I told them what the other moron told me and put me through, and they acted all amazed and went on how if it shows in their system, it is their policy to go get it and sell it to any customer asking for it. They checked the back, I waited for around 10 or 15 more minutes, and they finally came back saying they couldn't find it and again for me to come back the next day. I asked them since I had been waiting all this time for someone to find it for me if they could pull one and hold it for me for me to pick it up today, and they got incredibly snarky with me saying no, that I could just check back the next day and buy it if it happens to still be there.

I went back in today to pick up a few things, and not only was the shelf still almost totally empty but they hadn't even put the sales tag for this one back in the empty slot. A blue shirt happened to walk by and I asked about the movie, and he acted all offended and said for me to listen, they checked last night when I was there before and they didn't have it then and they never found it and didn't have it now.

Even though it was clearly listed as being in the store.

My wonderful experiences with this awful company continues.
For those that remember this post I made, I have something of a resolution to it...

I did email corporate, and today the store general manager called me. I went in, and long story short he gave me that title for free. I was sorta shocked he didn't offer anything else, nor did corporate, but I can't complain. At least he is now aware of the issues, and I got the movie in the end.

It turned out they did have it in the back all along, and the idiot employees were just being lazy about actually getting it for me in the first place as they are supposed to do.
Old 01-15-13, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone finding good deals on any 3D movies, specifically disney titles?
Old 01-15-13, 08:10 PM

Inglorious Basterds 100th Ann and some Jaws are 9.99. American Pie 100th is 7.99.

For me Jaws and IB were 1.99 w/ my last 2 100th Ann coupons!!

Also picked up King Kong and Animal House 100th Ann at Target beforehand for around 7 bucks with 2 other 100th Ann coupons. It was worth the extra 1.50 or so to get the 100th Ann copies over the stripped down versions at BBY.
Old 01-15-13, 08:16 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my second trip, I got these:

Burton Triple Feature
Willis Triple Feature
Denzel Triple Feature
Lost Boys Triple Feature
Romeo and Juliet

I'll probably go back one more time and call it quits.
Old 01-15-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Both stores I went to were sold out of Titanic 3D and Despicable Me 3D

Did pick up
Harold and Kumar 3D ($10 after coupon)
There Will Be Blood ($5)
I Love You Man ($5)
I Saw The Devil ($5)
Horrible Bosses ($5)

Looks like I re-bought I Love You Man accidentally (in the to watch pile from last upgrade and save). Not sure if I am going to return it or give it a a gift....
Old 01-15-13, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Most of the stuff I wanted either wasn't there or I got the ever fun "in stock online but nowhere to be found in the store even after the BestBuy csr goes to look for it in the back" routine.

Bought:

Guns of Navaronne
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Steelbook)
Les Miserables (1998 version with Geoffrey Rush and Liam Neeson)

All rang up at $5 each. I used $10 worth of RZ certificates and paid $5 + tax for all 3. They did have a ton of steelbooks available though. I'll try to go to the other store (that one has better selection but the pricing sometimes can be maddening) and find the others on my list.
Old 01-15-13, 10:56 PM

Terrible selection at my Best Buy. I saw a big box on the shelf above the sign for the 50th anniversary of Ben-Hur for 9.99. It looked like an unusual box so I picked it up and realized it was the 35th anniversary VHS box set. The best part, it was stickered at 34.99!
Old 01-15-13, 11:11 PM

Picked up:
21 Jump Street
Shawshank SB
Friends with Benefits
Willis Triple Pack
Smokin Aces
Old 01-16-13, 12:07 AM
Cool New Member

Is there any difference in the print of the 9.99 version of "North by Northwest" and the version in the Masterpiece Collection.
Can someone tell me the website where I can look the info up.
Can't find it searching on the iPhone.
TIA
Old 01-16-13, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy
No. Saw the display but it was almost empty. I would own it if it had been there.
I think I read some folks over at the Blu-Ray.com forums finding it in special displays. Going to check another Best Buy near my school (not local) to see if they have it.

Originally Posted by metoo
Is there any difference in the print of the 9.99 version of "North by Northwest" and the version in the Masterpiece Collection.
Can someone tell me the website where I can look the info up.
Can't find it searching on the iPhone.
TIA
It's the same disc:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Alfred.../45102/#Review

The version that is on sale at Best Buy is a Keepcase Version of the 50th Anniversary Edition Digibook put out by Warner Bros. back in 2009.
Old 01-16-13, 01:13 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I wanted Body Heat/ LA Confidential/The Player 3 pack. Its not available for in store pick up and while the website has it, its $19.99. They do sell LA Confidential by itself for $5 and you can get the 3 pack at Amazon for under $14 . Oh well.

I did get for $5 each

Goodfellas / The Aviator / The Departed
Casablanca
Ben Hur
Alexander Revisited / Troy / 300
Superman/ Superman 2 Donner Cut/ Superman Returns
Twister / Poseidon / The Perfect Storm
Guns of Navaronne
The Firm

I did notice that while the two stores near me still had the card board display with the 3 disc sets for $9.99, it was mostly empty at both stores. The stores did have many of the 3 disc sets mixed in with the rest of the DVD/ Blu rays.
By the way I still hate how they have mixed the SD and BD together at Best Buy. Its a pain finding anything.

Last edited by Classic Films; 01-16-13 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-16-13, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Went back and got:

Lost Boys Triple
Twister Triple
History X Triple
Shouts Jackie Chan double
Old 01-16-13, 09:34 AM

For those in the So Cal area, the BB in El Segundo takes blurays for U&S.
Old 01-16-13, 09:38 AM

if the blu ray you want is $4.99 and you have a $5 upgrade and save certificate will they let you just pay the tax due, or does sale before tax have to be more than $5?
Old 01-16-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by brucehf
if the blu ray you want is $4.99 and you have a $5 upgrade and save certificate will they let you just pay the tax due, or does sale before tax have to be more than $5?
Has to be $9.99
Old 01-16-13, 11:07 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
For those that remember this post I made, I have something of a resolution to it...

I did email corporate, and today the store general manager called me. I went in, and long story short he gave me that title for free. I was sorta shocked he didn't offer anything else, nor did corporate, but I can't complain. At least he is now aware of the issues, and I got the movie in the end.

It turned out they did have it in the back all along, and the idiot employees were just being lazy about actually getting it for me in the first place as they are supposed to do.
What email address did you send to? I couldn't find one, and sent my experience using the Reward Zone contact us and haven't gotten a response.
Old 01-16-13, 11:44 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

There Will Be Blood
Mean Girls
King Kong
Superbad
Dog Day Afternoon

$25.xx
Old 01-16-13, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
What email address did you send to? I couldn't find one, and sent my experience using the Reward Zone contact us and haven't gotten a response.
Best Buy is out of the business of replaying to emails. I read it the other day on Consumerist.
Old 01-16-13, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joltman
[email protected]

Do not use any of the forms on any of the Best Buy sites or anything like that. It wont get you to the right people, if anyone at all. Not in cases like this.

Lisa is the Vice President of Best Buy Customer Care, and she will either respond to you personally via email reply or phone call, or she will have someone directly under her on the Best Buy Executive Resolutions team reply to you on her behalf.

When you email, make sure to include the store (if you are talking about a retail store) you had a problem in, as well as your name, address, and phone number.
Old 01-16-13, 12:35 PM

and does the DVD have to be in its matching case, or can it just be a loose DVD?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.