Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Upgrade and Save coming back! 1/13 - 2/2

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Upgrade and Save coming back! 1/13 - 2/2

Originally Posted by DJariya
You know they are sending these to be ground up, destroyed and recycled?
Do they? I thought they sold them to the big wholesalers on Amazon and half.com....you know, the ones with 1,000,000+ feedback.
Old 01-14-13, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Got everything I wanted on the first wave:

Re-Animator
Breakfast Club
I saw the Devil
300/Troy/Alex
V/Watchmen/Constanine

And found a copy of Cool Hand Luke on sale for $5
Cool Hand Luke is $5 at Amazon too
Old 01-14-13, 08:42 AM

Picked up Big Bang Theory Season Five (Blu) for $15.00 (with a $5 RZ Cert.)
Old 01-14-13, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Do they? I thought they sold them to the big wholesalers on Amazon and half.com....you know, the ones with 1,000,000+ feedback.
Yes, this is a recycle program. All these discs you bring in will be destroyed.
Old 01-14-13, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I have heard this rumor that they are just grinding them up but I would like to see some proof! My bet is more on what you said - some internet etailer is snapping them up for a few pennies each and selling them as best they can.
Old 01-14-13, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

It was mentioned in the previous U&S threads that the discs were being recycled and destroyed.

When I brought in some discs last time, I asked the clerk what they do with them and she confirmed to me that they are being recycled and not re-sold.

She just tossed them in a large trash can labeled "Recycle" and taped them shut with a big "Recycle" tape.

Feeling guilty now sending your perfectly good movies to essentially the scrap heap?
Old 01-14-13, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Feeling guilty now sending your perfectly good movies to essentially the scrap heap?
If they're really being "recycled", nah.

Of course, who knows exactly how their "purchasing recycled materials" operation factors into potential tax incentives.
Old 01-14-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No issues at my store. Picked up CASABLANCA and the KUBRICK triple for five bucks each.

Tempted on DOG DAY, but I wonder if WB will triple feature it down the line. Tired of buying singles only to see triples come out cheaper.

No sign of the HONDO triple. Anyone find this?
Old 01-14-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
If they're really being "recycled", nah.

Of course, who knows exactly how their "purchasing recycled materials" operation factors into potential tax incentives.
That's a good call, the tax incentive angle. If they aren't sorting through the DVDs at all to resell through other venues, that might be the reason why.
Old 01-14-13, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have traded in a blu-ray or two, and there was no issue, even though the rep questioned why I'd do it. For me, it's happened when I've double dipped and the original had no value.

Sometimes they just throw it in a box without looking at it, and other times they look for a disc inside. All depends on the rep.
Old 01-14-13, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Speaking of "recycling" -- whenever I've exchanged one of my old DVDs in to Best Buy, I have always put them in a new "eco" case that I have taken off of one of my newer DVDs that I want to keep, and replaced that case with the older non-eco case.

No way I'm going to let those good sturdy, older cases go to waste.
Old 01-14-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Speaking of "recycling" -- whenever I've exchanged one of my old DVDs in to Best Buy, I have always put them in a new "eco" case that I have taken off of one of my newer DVDs that I want to keep, and replaced that case with the older non-eco case.

I do this too.
Old 01-14-13, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I was able to pick up 7 titles today. Picked up 4 of the WB triple packs including the Kubrick set which showed not available in store. Also picked up I Saw The Devil, Road Trip and Spy Kids 3D/ Adventures of SB and LG 3D dbl pack with each of these being the only copy I could find in this store.

Gonna go back later this week and pick up a couple more of the triple packs since a majority of these would be cheap double dips to go with my hd dvd copies.
Old 01-14-13, 02:06 PM

Is it ok to trade-in dvds in those rental cases Blockbuster/Hollywood video use?

Also, I still have a promotional disc for "300". Would they take that?

Thanks in advance for responses. I haven't done the "Upgrade and Save" deal before.
Old 01-14-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toldawg128
Is it ok to trade-in dvds in those rental cases Blockbuster/Hollywood video use?

Also, I still have a promotional disc for "300". Would they take that?
I traded in 30 some in with those rental cases (I hate those cases so I swapped them out). I traded promotional ones also. As long as it has a barcode, they should take it.
Old 01-14-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

I do the exact same thing!
Old 01-14-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was shocked that my store had a ton of $9.99 titles which I do not already own. I passed on the ones without special features, and anything priced more than $9.99, but there were still 15-20 titles I could buy. This round, I bought:

The Benchwarmers
Grown-ups
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Friends With Benefits
Kubrick triple feature

I traded in my final 5 sampler discs. I'll start trading in titles I've upgraded next. Both the CS rep and the cashier were clueless about this promotion. The CS rep never even processed them in the computer. She tried to give me 1 coupon, but I insisted on getting 5 coupons seeing as she wasn't giving me the receipt to prove how many I traded in. I didn't want any issues later, and at that point, I didn't know I'd be redeeming all 5 today.
Old 01-14-13, 04:35 PM

Yesterday picked up these five:

$4.99 after trade in:
The Firm
Monty Python In search of the Holy grail
Bruce Willis Triple pack LMS/LBS/13blocks
Blues Brothers

$9.99 after trade in:
Yogi Bear 3D

Grabbed these today:

$4.99 after trade in:
Austin Powers Triple pack

$9.99 after trade in:
Final Destination 3D
Harold and Kumar Christmas 3D

Will probably grab Planes Trains and automobiles on the way home tonight. No problems at either of the two stores visited, reps knew of the promo and all the sale prices on the website scanned correctly even if not listed with the price at the store (All 3D movies, Monty Python).

nice to get some 3D titles at about $10.

Last edited by jmck407; 01-14-13 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-14-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yesterday I took in a DVD I got for less than a buck and used the coupon getting On Her Majesty's Secret Service for $9.99.

Today I took in my On Her Majesty's Secret Service DVD in today and ended up getting Inglorious Basterds for $4.99. I traded the disc in and went looking and ended up walking around for 15 minutes because I really couldn't find anything I needed.

The lady at the Geek Squad counter didn't even crack open the DVD case and quickly printed out the the receipt and stapled it to the coupon like she'd done it twenty times today already.

The selection was really shitty at my local Best Buy. I had a hard time finding anything today. I may try this at the one I pass on my way to work.
Old 01-14-13, 05:09 PM

I scored at our local Dollar Tree today - they had 11 copies of THE BASKETBALL FIX in the rack and I remembered them being 4/$1.00 a long time ago so I took them up to the register and the guy just gave them to me!

For this (and future) trips I made a want list of $9.99 titles online and easily found five titles. The pricing at our local Best Buy is completely screwed up (e.g. Fight Club was stickered at $24.99 but rang up $9.99 and a bunch of sales that are on sale for $9.99 are on a rack that says "$9.99 and up" and then stickered with their original prices).
Old 01-14-13, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to hate those Blockbuster cases too, but they are very sturdy and well made. Plus the stickers are easy to remove. I will take them over those Eco cases anytime.
Old 01-14-13, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by bigjim25
I traded in 30 some in with those rental cases (I hate those cases so I swapped them out). I traded promotional ones also. As long as it has a barcode, they should take it.
Thanks! I switched a couple cases and they took the promo disc.

I got:

Departed/Goodfellas/Aviator
Amadeus
Dog Day Afternoon
L.A. Confidential
Scarface

I was disappointed I couldn't find the TMNT triple feature, but I'm pleased with what I got.
Old 01-14-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by toldawg128
Thanks! I switched a couple cases and they took the promo disc.

I got:

Departed/Goodfellas/Aviator
Amadeus
Dog Day Afternoon
L.A. Confidential
Scarface

I was disappointed I couldn't find the TMNT triple feature, but I'm pleased with what I got.
Don't know if you checked there or not, but I spotted it in the family,animated section in my local store. Not a big TMNT fan, but may pick it up later once I get everything else I am after.
Old 01-14-13, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
Don't know if you checked there or not, but I spotted it in the family,animated section in my local store. Not a big TMNT fan, but may pick it up later once I get everything else I am after.
I did have a hard time finding stuff, but I did look there. They had the TMNT 3 blu-ray, and the 4-film favorites dvd version, but not the blu-ray set. Maybe they hid it. I found three of the ones I bought on an endcap, just as I was loosing hope of finding them.
Old 01-14-13, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
This is what I'm worried about. I'm afraid BB will have such pathetic inventory levels of the handful of BDs that I want that they'll be gone in the first few hours of Sunday and not replenished until they day after the U&S ends or the price increases.
Unless you happen to live in an area with a lot of DVD Talkers or blu-ray.com'ers, I doubt that many people will rush down on Sunday and wipe out stock. But I wouldn't wait too long ...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.