DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Scream Factory Bundle (Halloween II, III, Funhouse,Terror Train+extras) $69.99 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/607224-scream-factory-bundle-halloween-ii-iii-funhouse-terror-train-extras-%2469-99-a.html)

DJariya 12-12-12 08:45 PM

Scream Factory Bundle (Halloween II, III, Funhouse,Terror Train+extras) $69.99

http://www.shoutfactory.com/?q=node/216577

From the Shout Factory Web site:

This discounted Scream Factory Blu-ray Bundle features the first four Scream Factory Blu-ray releases along with the exclusive, limited-edition Halloween III poster, The Funhouse poster, Terror Train poster, Halloween II nurse's hat and Scream Factory pin set!

This is actually a pretty good deal. Runs to about $17.50 per title before tax/shipping. Plus there is the extra trinkets as well.

Jtnguyen12 12-12-12 10:25 PM

Re: Scream Factory Bundle (Halloween II, III, Funhouse,Terror Train+extras) $69.99

POSTER is JUNK in my BOOK. You can find it under $7 in 6 months. It's OK movies & is not worth over $8 or more ;)

DJariya 12-12-12 10:36 PM

Re: Scream Factory Bundle (Halloween II, III, Funhouse,Terror Train+extras) $69.99

Originally Posted by Jtnguyen12 (Post 11504394)
POSTER is JUNK in my BOOK. You can find it under $7 in 6 months. It's OK movies & is not worth over $8 or more ;)

When has a Shout/Scream Factory BD ever been under $8???

The MSRP is almost $30 each for the Halloween movies.

Gizmo 12-12-12 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11504400)
When has a Shout/Scream Factory BD ever been under $8???

The MSRP is almost $30 each for the Halloween movies.

Shout! has had BDs that cheap before. Maybe not under the Scream label, but if they have poor sales (like they probably did hence this little 'deal') you'll get 'em cheap enough. Do retail stores even carry these titles? I've never actually seen them at retail.

DJariya 12-12-12 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 11504408)
Shout! has had BDs that cheap before. Maybe not under the Scream label, but if they have poor sales (like they probably did hence this little 'deal') you'll get 'em cheap enough. Do retail stores even carry these titles? I've never actually seen them at retail.

I saw Halloween II at FYE for $29.99. Nowhere else. Amazon is selling them between $21 to 24 each. They were $19.99 each release week on Amazon.

So I'm tempted to pull the trigger on this.

Gizmo 12-12-12 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11504414)
I saw Halloween II at FYE for $29.99. Nowhere else. Amazon is selling them between $21 to 24 each. They were $19.99 each release week on Amazon.

So I'm tempted to pull the trigger on this.

I don't think Best Buy carries them at retail. Target carried the DVDs for Halloween II and III, but not the Blu-rays.

I'd like to own the two Halloween films from Shout, but I won't pay $20 each. $10, sure. I'm trained not to spend double-digits on Blu-rays anymore.

PhantomStranger 12-12-12 11:30 PM

Shout Factory Blu-rays rarely go on sale from any retailer. It's a good deal if you don't own any of the discs and want the bonus swag.

Josh-da-man 12-13-12 04:47 AM

While I can appreciate that Scream/Shout is making the effort to put out nice editions of these movies, the films themselves are basically b-movies that are fodder for $5 bins.

This day and age, it's nuts to stick them with $30 MSRPs. Places like Best Buy, Walmart, and Target aren't going to devote their dwindling shelf space to high-priced catalog titles of obscure movies that aren't going to turn. They should seriously consider a lower MSRP, like $19.9x for the blu-rays.

Torchur317 12-13-12 06:52 AM

I bought this, Shout Factory/Scream Factory are almost NEVER on sale or available at most retail stores.

joltman 12-13-12 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 11504565)
While I can appreciate that Scream/Shout is making the effort to put out nice editions of these movies, the films themselves are basically b-movies that are fodder for $5 bins.

This day and age, it's nuts to stick them with $30 MSRPs. Places like Best Buy, Walmart, and Target aren't going to devote their dwindling shelf space to high-priced catalog titles of obscure movies that aren't going to turn. They should seriously consider a lower MSRP, like $19.9x for the blu-rays.

If they start doing lower MSRPs, that probably means less features. They do cost money to make those features.

NoirFan 12-13-12 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by joltman (Post 11504639)
If they start doing lower MSRPs, that probably means less features. They do cost money to make those features.

$29.99 list is typical for boutique labels - BU, Severin, Synapse, Flicker Alley, Olive, Scorpion, etc. (do I really need to list all of them?) have similar price points. People expecting to pay $10 and/or find them at B & M stores (who even bothers with those places anymore?) are deluded or don't understand how independent companies operate.

Jaymole 12-13-12 09:12 AM

$17.50 each is just not good enough for me to bite on that bundle. You can get that price online for each on it's own.

Gizmo 12-13-12 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 11504664)
$29.99 list is typical for boutique labels - BU, Severin, Synapse, Flicker Alley, Olive, Scorpion, etc. (do I really need to list all of them?) have similar price points. People expecting to pay $10 and/or find them at B & M stores (who even bothers with those places anymore?) are deluded or don't understand how independent companies operate.

These companies won't operate much in the future if they can't sell their discs.

NoirFan 12-13-12 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jaymole (Post 11504704)
$17.50 each is just not good enough for me to bite on that bundle. You can get that price online for each on it's own.

But these also include the 18 x 24 posters, and the discs are unlikely to drop below $17.50 at Amazon regardless.

Gizmo 12-13-12 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11504446)
Shout Factory Blu-rays rarely go on sale from any retailer. It's a good deal if you don't own any of the discs and want the bonus swag.

Piranha has been $14 on Amazon several times.

Death Race as well. Oh and Galaxy of Terror. And Humanoids from the Deep. Battle Beyond the Stars. Do I need to carry on? Camelcamelcamel.com shows the history of all of these.

So, maybe not their "Scream" label which just launched a few weeks ago, but certainly nearly every other Blu-ray they have released have been $15 or less on Amazon at some point.

Originally Posted by Torchur317 (Post 11504601)
I bought this, Shout Factory/Scream Factory are almost NEVER on sale or available at most retail stores.

Because most retail stores don't carry them.

Gizmo 12-13-12 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 11504718)
But these also include the 18 x 24 posters, and the discs are unlikely to drop below $17.50 at Amazon regardless.

But I'm not a child and I don't need a poster or a pin set (plus two other movies I'd never watch). Neat extras for die-hard fans, but c'mon. That certainly can't be a deal breaker. A reprint of a poster that will likely be stashed in someones closet?

We heard the "won't drop!" comment in the Indy thread. That dropped within 2 months. Let's not forget the huge Bond and Hitchcock drops already. Unless these are limited to a certain amount being pressed (and let's face it, Shout! will happily lie to our faces for a buck - Freaks and Geeks Yearbook "breaking the mold") these will be discounted at some point. Halloween II and III are $19.99 at Amazon. Plus with free shipping (Shout! will charge you), this isn't really much of a deal. $5 difference...but how much is shipping?

NoirFan 12-13-12 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 11504722)
Piranha has been $14 on Amazon several times.

Death Race as well. Oh and Galaxy of Terror. And Humanoids from the Deep. Battle Beyond the Stars. Do I need to carry on? Camelcamelcamel.com shows the history of all of these.

So, maybe not their "Scream" label which just launched a few weeks ago, but certainly nearly every other Blu-ray they have released have been $15 or less on Amazon at some point.

The Corman discs all had a slightly lower MSRP though - $26.99 instead of $29.99 for the Scream discs. I could see the Scream discs eventually being $15.99 or so at Amazon, but not less than that, and they wouldn't include the posters. They're obviously no bargain, and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to shell out $18 for catalog titles, but expecting/hoping to pick them up for $10 or whatever just isn't going to happen.

Gizmo 12-13-12 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 11504735)
The Corman discs all had a slightly lower MSRP though - $26.99 instead of $29.99 for the Scream discs. I could see the Scream discs eventually being $15.99 or so at Amazon, but not less than that, and they wouldn't include the posters. They're obviously no bargain, and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to shell out $18 for catalog titles, but expecting/hoping to pick them up for $10 or whatever just isn't going to happen.

Even with the lower MSRP Shout! (Cliff) posted saying it was tough to turn a profit with Blu-ray (skipping several releases like Slumber Party Massacare). But now they are paying higher licensing fee's (i'm assuming) for "bigger" B Movies and they hope to turn a profit? Baffling.

DJariya 12-13-12 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 11504729)
But I'm not a child and I don't need a poster or a pin set (plus two other movies I'd never watch). Neat extras for die-hard fans, but c'mon. That certainly can't be a deal breaker. A reprint of a poster that will likely be stashed in someones closet?

We heard the "won't drop!" comment in the Indy thread. That dropped within 2 months. Let's not forget the huge Bond and Hitchcock drops already. Unless these are limited to a certain amount being pressed (and let's face it, Shout! will happily lie to our faces for a buck - Freaks and Geeks Yearbook "breaking the mold") these will be discounted at some point. Halloween II and III are $19.99 at Amazon. Plus with free shipping (Shout! will charge you), this isn't really much of a deal. $5 difference...but how much is shipping?

Halloween II is $24 and Halloween II is around $25 right now at Amazon. They went up in price the 2nd week and have not even dropped a penny. Even during the BF sales they stayed the same.

I know people here prefer finger discounts, but some stuff like this rarely goes on sale. As already mentioned, you can't even drive to your local Best Buy or Target to pick these up.

Edison 12-13-12 10:00 AM

Does anyone have any of their 18x24 posters already (from previous releases) that you could post a picture of? I've been checking the price on the Halloween movies at Amazon hoping they would drop, since these aren't available locally, but no luck yet.

Gizmo 12-13-12 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11504752)
Halloween II is $24 and Halloween II is around $25 right now at Amazon. They went up in price the 2nd week and have not even dropped a penny. Even during the BF sales they stayed the same.

I know people here prefer finger discounts, but some stuff like this rarely goes on sale. As already mentioned, you can't even drive to your local Best Buy or Target to pick these up.

Halloween II price drops (last 5):
Dec 12, 2012 04:03 PM $23.48
Nov 14, 2012 01:14 PM $23.50
Nov 13, 2012 02:15 PM $23.29
Nov 11, 2012 09:24 PM $23.50
Nov 09, 2012 11:55 PM $23.49

Halloween III price drops (last 5):
Dec 07, 2012 03:19 PM $24.99
Dec 05, 2012 09:17 AM $24.32
Dec 04, 2012 04:21 PM $24.02
Nov 30, 2012 08:17 PM $24.32
Nov 20, 2012 08:55 AM $23.70

They dropped a penny. They fluctuate. ;)

But sure, you can't drive to Best Buy or Target to buy them (because neither store would ever sell a copy at $25 a pop). But to get them at a discount you have to buy two other Blu-rays. That "$17.50" isn't really there. Plus you have to pay shipping ($8.99). So $17.50 quickly turns into $22 each...vs Amazons $23ish each (which comes with free shipping for Prime or anyone over $25). So $1 discount on each. Amazon will also likely get them to you faster and may not charge tax depending what state you live in.

So it all comes down to a paper nurse's hat and some pins.

I'll hold out. Shout has the history of dropping prices and lying. I thought those Nurses Hat's and posters were for pre-orders only and Limited? Oops, guess not!

DJariya 12-13-12 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 11504808)
Halloween II price drops (last 5):
Dec 12, 2012 04:03 PM $23.48
Nov 14, 2012 01:14 PM $23.50
Nov 13, 2012 02:15 PM $23.29
Nov 11, 2012 09:24 PM $23.50
Nov 09, 2012 11:55 PM $23.49

Halloween III price drops (last 5):
Dec 07, 2012 03:19 PM $24.99
Dec 05, 2012 09:17 AM $24.32
Dec 04, 2012 04:21 PM $24.02
Nov 30, 2012 08:17 PM $24.32
Nov 20, 2012 08:55 AM $23.70

They dropped a penny. They fluctuate. ;)

But sure, you can't drive to Best Buy or Target to buy them (because neither store would ever sell a copy at $25 a pop). But to get them at a discount you have to buy two other Blu-rays. That "$17.50" isn't really there. Plus you have to pay shipping ($8.99). So $17.50 quickly turns into $22 each...vs Amazons $23ish each (which comes with free shipping for Prime or anyone over $25). So $1 discount on each. Amazon will also likely get them to you faster and may not charge tax depending what state you live in.

So it all comes down to a paper nurse's hat and some pins.

I'll hold out. Shout has the history of dropping prices and lying. I thought those Nurses Hat's and posters were for pre-orders only and Limited? Oops, guess not!

:lol: Now we're getting into a nickel and dime argument. If you want to support this company and help the chances of more future special edition catalogue titles, then I say go for this (if the titles interest you). And I'm not talking to you directly. Obviously you said Terror Train and Fun House don't interest you.

Gizmo 12-13-12 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11504819)
:lol: Now we're getting into a nickel and dime argument. If you want to support this company and help the chances of more future special edition catalogue titles, then I say go for this (if the titles interest you). And I'm not talking to you directly. Obviously you said Terror Train and Fun House don't interest you.

You said not even a penny ;)

NoirFan 12-13-12 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 11504808)
I thought those Nurses Hat's and posters were for pre-orders only and Limited? Oops, guess not!

They are limited - 500 copies each, and the They Live poster has sold out - and were never for pre-orders only.

NoirFan 12-13-12 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Edison (Post 11504804)
Does anyone have any of their 18x24 posters already (from previous releases) that you could post a picture of? I've been checking the price on the Halloween movies at Amazon hoping they would drop, since these aren't available locally, but no luck yet.

Here you go, with the Halloween III disc included for size perspective:

The hat is extremely lame however - made of cardboard and unconvincing.