Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon's DOTD(12-5)---Indiana Jones for $39.99

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Amazon's DOTD(12-5)---Indiana Jones for $39.99

Thanks for the head's up about Target and the coupon. I think getting Target to price match depends on who you deal with at the store. I was lucky. The Target I went to only had the set with the Target Exclusive 5 Free Lithographs. I took the set with a copy of the Amazon listing to customer service and that person wanted nothing to do with price matching once she saw Target's current price was about $65. She said everything she could think of not to match the price. The reasons she gave included that the set on Amazon was for a single movie, she wanted proof the Amazon listing was current, and the set I was trying to buy was a Target Exclusive. The last was true and I have been turned down before because of exclusive sets. She called someone ( a manager?) and he said just give it to me using the match. Fortunately he was the one who checked me out. I didn't show the coupon until I went to pay. He scanned it, it was accepted. and I got the set for $29.99 plus tax.

Can you price match at Target at the check out register or does it have to be done at customer service? This was the first time I price matched at Target.

On another subject while looking for Indiana Jones I saw the big Superman Anthology set with all the extras for about $55 which Amazon is matching. I think Amazon .UK has a movies only edition of this set but so far only the big set is available in the US. Currently even cheaper , about $40 shipped with one of the Amazon 3rd parties.

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Pictu...s=superman+set

Last edited by Classic Films; 12-05-12 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-05-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too had no issues with a PM and the coupon at Target. They just had to look up the price on their iPad.

Glad I was able to get the Target Exclusive set for $30.

Unfortunately, it was spider-wired to death ... all of them were at this Target. I grabbed the best one, but it was still in poor shape. I may try to exchange for one in better condition at another Target.
Old 12-05-12, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the Target reminder. I bought the set over the weekend price-matching Target's online price of $45, then using the coupon for $35 OTD.

Saw the deal on Amazon this morning and thought "the deal I got is better than Amazon". But after reading the post here, went out at lunch and got a Target exclusive for $30 out the door. Sweet!

Here's a hint for price-matching: Go directly to Customer Service and buy the item there. Much less of a hassle than trying to do it at the standard checkout.

(Now if only the Star Wars set gets down to < $50, my holiday season shopping will be complete...)
Old 12-05-12, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
On another subject while looking for Indiana Jones I saw the big Superman Anthology set with all the extras for about $55 which Amazon is matching. I think Amazon .UK has a movies only edition of this set but so far only the big set is available in the US. Even cheaper with one of the Amazon 3rd parties.

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Pictu...s=superman+set
Actually, if Target has this for $55 ... you could use the $10 gift card for $50 order to effectively make it $45 after kickbacks.
Old 12-05-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How are you guys PM-ing the Amazon site? Taking a printout of the page or something? Thanks.
Old 12-05-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
How are you guys PM-ing the Amazon site? Taking a printout of the page or something? Thanks.
I showed them the price on my phone, but as I stated previously, the lady had an iPad and she checked Amazon herself, not sure if this standard procedure, so YMMV
Old 12-05-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Showing my phone too ... but it appears they are required to verify themselves by visiting Amazon's site on their iPads in-store.
Old 12-05-12, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lovely. The "Coupon Activator" crap thing doesn't work on my work computer. I run it as Administrator, click the stuff, and nothing comes out on the printer. I absolutely LOATHE these things. Instant loss of sale because they DON'T WORK!!!!

EDIT: Got it to work by switching to an Admin account and using IE. Lame.

Last edited by DirkBelig; 12-05-12 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-05-12, 04:56 PM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Just got back from Target successfully!
I grabbed the Indiana Jones set (as others have set, they only had the Target exclusive version), a $20 lamp my wife wanted and a Powerade, went to the customer service desk and showed her a print-out of the Amazon page, she typed it in and had to get a supervisor override because of the difference, then I gave her the IJ coupon and a $10 gift card coupon for $50 purchase that my wife got in her email, and walked out with IJ + lamp + powerade + $10 gift card for about $51!
Old 12-05-12, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very happy to grab this successfully at Target for 29.99 +tax after Amazon PM and Target coupon.
Old 12-05-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem doing the Amazon price match at Target with the $10 coupon. Also had about $20 remaining on a gift card I got from e-rewards. Ended up only costing me about $12 out of pocket total.
Old 12-05-12, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The woman at Customer Service initially backed at the match AND the coupon, but someone else OKed it andI was out the door for $30.20 w/Red Card discount. Sweet! Thanks, guys!
Old 12-05-12, 06:55 PM
Cool New Member

I just used that $5 off Facebook coupon to get this for $34.99. Factoring in tax and actually going to Target, I personally don't find the price difference worth it.
Old 12-05-12, 08:05 PM

Thanks for reminding me about the Target coupon. Glad to have got that price. I thought I had lost out waiting for the mythical Amazon price unicorn we were all told of.
Old 12-05-12, 08:30 PM

Indy exclusive 29.99 (w/ coupon)
TDKR digibook 24.99
a banana .10
5 off of 50 -5.00 (which I ironically got when I purchased TDKR the first time)
red card discount: -2.00
8.25 tax on 37.98 3.13

Total: 51.21 + 10.00 GC

will return the TDKR I bought yesterday. Not too shabby, esp. since I was going to wait for Indy, but this deal pretty much fit my buy criteria for this. I'm sure Indy will be cheaper in the future, but I doubt by too much.
Old 12-06-12, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my local Target to match and accept the $10 coupon, plus I got the $10 gift card and the Redcard 5% ---------> $30.98 out the door and I sold my DVD set for $26 earlier this morning.

The media clerk directed me to go to the guest services desk when he saw me fumbling with my phone. He thought they could only accept print ads. The first guest services clerk had no clue so she called over her 18 year old supervisor, who at least knew that he had to check the Amazon listing on the store's iPad. He clicks the Holiday Deals link on Amazon and there's the Indie set, prominently displayed in the freakin' DEAL OF THE DAY box. He clucks at that and mutters something about their price-match policy not applying to specials and such. He's not sure so he checks with the first clerk and she thinks the policy is stated in "the manual." They pull out 4-5 vinyl binders, thick as telephone books, look confused and a line starts queuing up behind me. Dude makes an executive decision, inputs the $39.99 price and makes the magic happen.
Old 12-06-12, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Since when does Target Price Match?!?!
Old 12-06-12, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
https://corporate.target.com/about/s...-promise#q3087

The price matching is available between Nov. 1 and Dec. 24.

I printed out a copy of the deal of the day from amazon and took that into the store. I did have to go to the customer service desk and they had to call a supervisor to get it approved. Had no problem using the $10 off the Indiana Jones set and got the $10 gc as well (thanks OP). Also used a $5 gc that I had gotten earlier in the week from the Starbucks coffee deal
Old 12-06-12, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
PM'ed at my local Target and was able to use coupon with no problems. ($32.31 out the door) The only caveat was that the customer service rep had an iPad handy and double checked the Amazon price on their site. So I'd go ASAP in the event it sells out on Amazon and no price is listed.
Same here, thanks guys! Out the door for $32. Interestingly enough, the rep got out the iPad, and when she unlocked it, it was already on the page for the Indy set, so I wasn't the first one to do it. LOL.
Old 12-06-12, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Target has been pricematching for awhile ... so far, I have NEVER been rejected a pricematch with a print ad.

For the holiday season this year, they are also pricematching some online prices (Amazon for one), which they have not done until now.

After the holidays, the pricematch policy will return to the print ad only policy.
Old 12-06-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have pricematched target.com and amazon.com once each so far. No issues either time. But I had to do it at customer service, and it can be a somewhat slow process... Last year, I tried to PM a print ad several times, and always had problems. IIRC, I was shot down both times.