Reload this Page >

Amazon discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBang
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 6/30/2017 (III) -- possibly a Member Only Code

NOTBORING (thanks logboy)
15% Off Single Item online -- unknown exp
appears to be one time use, but please report if it works more than once

15% Off Single Item
OFFERS15
GROUPON15
RMN15
CABIN15
Expiration 6/28 -not sure if 6/28 or 6/29 2:59am ET though I suspect the latter

ONLINE CODES
ALL BELOW CODES ARE EXPIRED 5/23
25% off single item
None

20% Off Online Single Item
None

15% off One Item Online --
None

Upcoming possible codes -- let me know if you find they;re active

Finally hooked up with new coupons. With the coupon reset and possible new coupon policy, all bets are off on one-time vs multiuse online or instore. Note a few new variations for the first time since 2010 or so
"New Member" Welcome Coupons ONLINE ONLY EXPIRES ONLINE August 28, 2017 2:59am ET -- these should be one-time use per member online
M9A8N4E $10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item
R9M3X8V $5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item
Y9V3W9J $15 off Any Turntable
U7A4V4M $5 off Vinyl LP (THIS DOESN'T APPEAR TO WORK ON CDs)
U3F7K3D $5 off $50 or more total Purchase
C3M9W9M $5 off one DVD/Blu-ray priced $10 or higher (SO FAR I HAVEN'T GOTTEN THIS TO WORK FOR ANY ITEM)

"New Member" Printable IN-STORE MEMBER ONLY Coupons Expire end of business August 27, 2017
In store Free Tall Caffé Latte with Any Café Purchase
In store $15 Off One Turntable
In store $5 Off One Vinyl LP
In Store $5 Off One DVD/Blu-ray price of $10+
In store $5 off $50 Total Transaction
Print Wikipost

Amazon discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-17, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon discounts and deals on Blu-ray

The one Amazon has as a deal of the day for $43.99 is the one that's extras-free.

https://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Zone...=twilight+zone
Old 01-01-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
The 1980's series will also get a new DVD release in February for $25-30
Just DVD not blu-ray? Going cheap or they used videotape and not film?

If only they'd release The New Outer Limits in proper season sets instead of the stupid "best of" collections.
Old 01-02-17, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Much like Babylon 5 and many others, it's possible but very unlikely to get to HiDef
Babylon 5 is a horror story. First Warner Bros threw out the original rendering data without bothering to ask any of the producers if they wanted to take custody or pay for storage, then cropped a 4:3 show to 16:9. As a bonus, the geniuses at WB did the DVDs in PAL. Worse, rather than take original 24fps NTSC effects they converted them to 30fps NTSC, then converted that to 25fps PAL, then converted that back to 24fps NTSC. The triple frame rate conversion totally trashed the effects shots. It's beyond savable at this point.
Outer Limits Classic and New would be truly welcome additions.
I have the classic DVD set which is pretty good. A blu-ray set would be nice since it was probably produced on film like The Twilight Zone was. I have no idea what condition the film is in though.

The New Outer Limits DVDs are another example of studio genius. Instead of standard season sets they came out with "best of" sets. Naturally they sold poorly. They eventually came out with a proper season 1 set but it was too late by then and that sold poorly too, so they never did the rest of the seasons.
Old 01-02-17, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Amazon started charging sales tax for Iowa yesterday. Bummer.
Old 01-02-17, 08:05 AM

The new Outer Limits is available complete from Canada.
Old 01-02-17, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm almost tempted to get the Aussie set just to get rid of those future skippers/freezers/coasters
I've found that too many dual layer Fox/MGM and Warner Brothers DVD's from DVD's early years (perhaps up to 2007?) have absolutely astronomical error rates. It's not a matter of the disks aging poorly; they're practically coasters right off the assembly line. In addition to not cutting corners i.e. avoiding DVD18's, I find that these foreign sets typically also show much better QA.
Old 01-02-17, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
Babylon 5 is a horror story. First Warner Bros threw out the original rendering data without bothering to ask any of the producers if they wanted to take custody or pay for storage, then cropped a 4:3 show to 16:9. As a bonus, the geniuses at WB did the DVDs in PAL. Worse, rather than take original 24fps NTSC effects they converted them to 30fps NTSC, then converted that to 25fps PAL, then converted that back to 24fps NTSC. The triple frame rate conversion totally trashed the effects shots. It's beyond savable at this point.
Gods, yes.

Babylon 5 is an absolute shi show on DVD.

They never should have capitulated to the people who demanded it be released in widescreen. Any shot that has a CGI or optical element had to be zoomed and cropped from video tape masters, so it was constantly switching between decent-looking widescreen derived from film and zoomed/cropped effects shots derived from tape. It effected not only the CGI space scenes, but any time someone fired a PPG, and transitions between scenes.

I have episodes I recorded from TNT on VHS at 6hr EP speed and they are clearer than the DVDs on my HDTV.
Old 01-02-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chris-K
The Canadian New Outer Limits DVDs are the censored versions and not the original Showtime versions, aren't they?
Old 01-02-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The Canadian New Outer Limits DVDs are the censored versions and not the original Showtime versions, aren't they?
That is correct, which is the only reason I haven't bought them.

Only the first season and the "best of" American releases are uncensored.
Old 01-02-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I didn't realize B5 was that big of a disaster. really really too bad regardless of Sheldon Cooper's opinion.

I did get the Outer Limits COmplete boxset before it disappeared and got severely expensive. At least there appears to be a nice not too expensive Australian DVD set which is not only R1/4 it also appears to be NTSC. It may even be better than the US set since they went to 12 single sided DVDs instead of those awful 6 double sided DVDs. I'm almost tempted to get the Aussie set just to get rid of those future skippers/freezers/coasters
I purchased a copy of that Aussie Outer Limits set a year ago because I'd started to see issues with my original S1/S2 sets. It's the exact same authoring as on the US season sets/releases but on SS discs. From what I recall, the PQ looked to be pretty much the same - but no freezing/skipping/worrying you'd get any of that. The episode layout and menu on each disc is the same as the flippies but on two discs rather than one. It comes with *no* booklets of any type so I just took them out of my US sets and put them in the Aussie set. It's 3 standard width multi-disc keep cases inside a nice, thick, paperboard slipcase. It's says on the back of the case that it's Region 4/PAL but it plays without issue on my Sony DVD and BR players (which are *very* unforgiving, i.e. will not play, with non-R1 or PAL sources) so I suspect that information on the case is incorrect. I paid $65 for my copy and feel it was well worth the expense. It's currently going for just under $54 shipped.
Old 01-02-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chris-K
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Originally Posted by Spiderbite

I've picked up a couple of them in spite of the editing/censoring simply because I don't think we'll ever see them released in the US. I *do* have the US S1 release (which was commanding big bucks the last time I looked) and the "Best Of" releases. Other than price, my main hold-back on the Canuck releases is complaints about packaging that can/does cause the discs to warp. I've not yet opened those seasons. I really need to just in case...
Old 01-02-17, 06:42 PM

Recently picked up a used copy of season 6 of The Outer Limits on eBay, and all 6 discs are in one single-width Amaray, exactly like the 15th anniversary sets of Farscape, so it looks like the Canadian company has redesigned the packaging rather recently. YYMV.

Now, back to Blu-ray bargains! ;-)
Old 01-02-17, 06:47 PM

Don't mean to derail the thread any more, but wow, I never knew the history of the Babylon 5 DVD releases. Very disappointing that there's almost no chance of an HD release. One of my favorite shows ever.

Back on topic, Doctor Who Series 7 is back down to $19.99: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 01-02-17, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I've picked up a couple of them in spite of the editing/censoring simply because I don't think we'll ever see them released in the US.
I have long hoped that Shout/Scream would release them uncensored. They're MGM properties, so it's not a stretch.
Old 01-02-17, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

It's a shame the modern Outer Limits didn't get a full release here in America. It may be the best anthology show released after the format's peak in the 1960s.

I hope people realize the Australian DVD version being talked about is for the older, black-and-white version of The Outer Limits. The American DVD set for it from MGM has quality control issues.
Old 01-02-17, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
I've found that too many dual layer Fox/MGM and Warner Brothers DVD's from DVD's early years (perhaps up to 2007?) have absolutely astronomical error rates. It's not a matter of the disks aging poorly; they're practically coasters right off the assembly line. In addition to not cutting corners i.e. avoiding DVD18's, I find that these foreign sets typically also show much better QA.
Fox/MGM DVD-18s have always had serious problems. The studios implicitly acknowledged the problems by completely dropping DVD-18s after sometime in 2006-2007. Of course many bad sets are still in circulation.
Old 01-02-17, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Second season of Banshee is $8.99 on Amazon.
Old 01-03-17, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
[The Twilight Zone] is still one of the finest Blu-ray sets ever released. Incredible A/V restoration and copious special features.
Does the Paramount re-release of the Image release include everything? They're both listed as 24 discs, but otherwise seems hard to tell...
Old 01-03-17, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Bitter Rice criterion BD is back down to $15.49.
Old 01-04-17, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Tremors Blu-ray for $2.99 (Prime Members)
https://www.amazon.com/Tremors-Blu-r...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 01-04-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great price, but just pointing out that they are price matching Best Buy
Old 01-04-17, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dumbo 70th Anniversary Edition- $9.99 Also matching Best Buy.

Please note this is in DVD packaging.
Old 01-04-17, 01:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna
Good enough for me. Never had it in any incarnation and always enjoyed the movie. That 1 hr doc sounds good too...
Old 01-04-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kahuna
Thanks kahuna! Doesn't bother me at all that it's a PM to BB. I have Prime and don't yet pay sales tax so this saves ~$.25 and a trip to BB to pick one up (assuming they actually have it in stock which is doubtful) plus I used "slow shipping" for a $1 digital credit - although I'm running out of stuff I want to "purchase" with them...
Old 01-04-17, 03:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Thanks kahuna! Doesn't bother me at all that it's a PM to BB. I have Prime and don't yet pay sales tax so this saves ~$.25 and a trip to BB to pick one up (assuming they actually have it in stock which is doubtful) plus I used "slow shipping" for a $1 digital credit - although I'm running out of stuff I want to "purchase" with them...
I think I'm going to use up my credit on the newish BBC series Dirk Gently. Just watched episode one (free, or was free) and loved it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.