Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Old 11-25-12, 08:18 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
That'sAllFolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,720
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

There is a deal on the Universal Monster set
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...rd_p=344320267

The price is not indicated, but they had one a couple of days ago for 22.50 GBP. My final cost in U.S. dollars was 35.91. Here is the link to the LD page.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/deals-offers...pf_rd_i=468294


Now, here is a problem I've encountered when doing UK LDs. Hopefully the example below is plain. Amazon.co.uk CSR's had a VERY DIFFICULT time understanding it, even though I was eventually able to get the adjustment.

I did a couple of LDs at Amazon.co.uk and they had a promo amount that brought the final total of the product to the UK LD price WITH VAT.

For this example: 20 GBP is the regular price. 10 GBP is the LD price.

Multiply any amount by .833 to get the price without VAT.

This is what it looked like on my order (I am using fake numbers for simplicity sake, but the concept is the same).

Price of item : 16.66 GBP (20GBP *.833)
amount of LD Promo : 6.66 GBP
final amount before shipping: 10GBP

When it should have been 8.33 GBP (final cost of LD 10GBP * .833)


ALSO:
HITCHCOCK is a LD at 11/25/2012 10:00am CST.
INDY is a LD at 11/25/2012 10:30am CST.

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 11-25-12 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-25-12, 08:25 AM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Hitchcock and Indy are not at the same time
Old 11-25-12, 09:40 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 830
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
Now, here is a problem I've encountered when doing UK LDs. Hopefully the example below is plain. Amazon.co.uk CSR's had a VERY DIFFICULT time understanding it, even though I was eventually able to get the adjustment.
You actually just lucked into getting an adjustment you weren't entitled to.

VAT policy for lightning deals is here. Essentially, because the lightning deal is done as a discount rather than a change in the pre-VAT price, their policy is that you pay the lightning price wherever you live.

"Price" is the price paid by UK customers. The Lightning Deal price displayed on all Offers is the price paid by all Amazon customers wherever they are based and irrespective of VAT registered status. The savings applied may differ from the Lightning Deal Discount displayed for different tax jurisdictions.
Old 11-25-12, 09:44 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 979
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

I would love to see a lightning deal on Hitchcock in the U.S.
Old 11-25-12, 11:12 AM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 174
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
ALSO:
HITCHCOCK is a LD at 11/25/2012 10:00am CST.
This is the third lightning deal for the Hitchcock set. Is is not selling or something?
Old 11-25-12, 11:17 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,885
Received 392 Likes on 285 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

I just finished watching through this set and I can't recommend it enough.
Old 11-25-12, 12:15 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 10,053
Received 241 Likes on 189 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

It's GBP 33.91 right now, about $50 US. Been debating between getting it there or from an Ebay seller for about 10 bucks more since I have money in my Paypal account to spend.
Old 11-25-12, 01:27 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
That'sAllFolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,720
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Originally Posted by excom101 View Post
You actually just lucked into getting an adjustment you weren't entitled to.

VAT policy for lightning deals is here. Essentially, because the lightning deal is done as a discount rather than a change in the pre-VAT price, their policy is that you pay the lightning price wherever you live.
I guess I did get lucky. I never saw this and no CSR showed me this particular verbiage. It doesn't seem logical though. Just because Amazon shows the LD as a discount to the price should not reflect my savings. As a customer, I don't care how Amazon shows the LD on my receipt. The simple fact is that it was advertised at a certain price. That price includes VAT. I don't pay VAT. So Amazon is making more money per item from me than a citizen in the UK. Doesn't matter now, but I will definitely keep this in mind if I should ever consider another UK LD again.
Old 11-25-12, 01:34 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,419
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Deal starts at 45 minutes after the hour not 30 minutes in first post.
Old 11-25-12, 01:48 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,419
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

In the 2 minutes its been available its 80% sold. 22.50.

Last edited by Classic Films; 11-25-12 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-25-12, 01:54 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,391
Received 664 Likes on 498 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

22.50 it is! I'm so glad I waited on this one.

I realize the policy on VAT is applied as stated, but it still doesn't make sense to me. Are they charging and submitting the VAT, or are they just charging more for the actual product? If more for the product, why?

Still, a great deal!
Old 11-25-12, 01:57 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Around and about...
Posts: 1,400
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

It's $41 shipped. SOLD!!! Remember, we don't pay VAT because it's not being delivered in the UK. I noticed that when I bought Alien Anthology. Can't believe it's so cheap there when it's $129 here.
Old 11-25-12, 02:00 PM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NE Wisconsin
Posts: 153
Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Made my first Amazon.uk purchase thanks to the rave reviews this set has been getting.

But a question for those who use the site often: should I have used the Amazon currency converter they offered? I used a Mastercard issued by Bank America (I think I read that Citbank cards don't charge exchange rate fees) as that was the only card I had that could be used (Discover and Amazon store cards didn't come up as an option when I added a card).

Still a great deal, even if I end up paying a few bucks (hope it's only a "few bucks" ) for exchange fees. Just curious for the future when I'm not under the fifteen minute countdown pressure to make the purchase.
Old 11-25-12, 02:04 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,419
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
22.50 it is! I'm so glad I waited on this one.

I realize the policy on VAT is applied as stated, but it still doesn't make sense to me. Are they charging and submitting the VAT, or are they just charging more for the actual product? If more for the product, why?

Still, a great deal!
They reduce the promotional discount. Your receipt shows the item at its regular price net of the VAT. The promotional discount which reduces the price to the lightening price is reduced so that net amount equals lightening price that everyone pays in the UK or not.
Old 11-25-12, 02:06 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 54,070
Received 196 Likes on 149 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

This set may go without completely being sold out.

EDIT. Oops, that HOURS not minutes.

It'll sell out.
Old 11-25-12, 02:12 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,419
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Originally Posted by teameck View Post
Made my first Amazon.uk purchase thanks to the rave reviews this set has been getting.

But a question for those who use the site often: should I have used the Amazon currency converter they offered? I used a Mastercard issued by Bank America (I think I read that Citbank cards don't charge exchange rate fees) as that was the only card I had that could be used (Discover and Amazon store cards didn't come up as an option when I added a card).

Still a great deal, even if I end up paying a few bucks (hope it's only a "few bucks" ) for exchange fees. Just curious for the future when I'm not under the fifteen minute countdown pressure to make the purchase.
You have to look at the terms of your credit card agreement to see what their policy is in regards to currency conversion. It varies by issuer not by Mastercard or Visa. I use a card issued by Capital One which has no or little charge for currency conversion.
Old 11-25-12, 02:35 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,391
Received 664 Likes on 498 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Originally Posted by Classic Films View Post
They reduce the promotional discount. Your receipt shows the item at its regular price net of the VAT. The promotional discount which reduces the price to the lightening price is reduced so that net amount equals lightening price that everyone pays in the UK or not.
Ah, okay!

I still don't like being charged more for no reason, but thanks for the clarification on how they do it.
Old 11-25-12, 03:00 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
That'sAllFolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,720
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Ah, okay!

I still don't like being charged more for no reason, but thanks for the clarification on how they do it.
I would really like to know why they do this as well.
Old 11-25-12, 03:35 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,117
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

$41 for one of the best Blu-ray box sets ever released is a no-brainer, even with the ratings logos on the cover.
Old 11-25-12, 03:49 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
bacigalup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Where Mario's son resigned
Posts: 1,561
Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Rats! Forgot about this! On a wait list right now.

"Swung on and missed"!! Oh well!

Last edited by bacigalup; 11-25-12 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-25-12, 03:52 PM
  #21  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NE Wisconsin
Posts: 153
Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
$41 for one of the best Blu-ray box sets ever released is a no-brainer, even with the ratings logos on the cover.
How are people getting it for $41? (Yes, I went through the Lightning Deals link...)

Mine totalled $28.33 pounds ($45.42 via a pounds to dollars converter via Google)-- before the shipping (another 3.08 pounds).
Old 11-25-12, 03:57 PM
  #22  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,538
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Originally Posted by teameck View Post
How are people getting it for $41? (Yes, I went through the Lightning Deals link...)

Mine totalled $28.33 pounds ($45.42 via a pounds to dollars converter via Google)-- before the shipping (another 3.08 pounds).
Some credit cards will do the $$ conversion for free, so you don't have to use amazons. I forget which ones.
Old 11-25-12, 04:08 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 26,340
Received 604 Likes on 518 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

It simply doesn't pay to order these mega-sets in the first month of release anymore. I can't believe it has already gotten this cheap from a legitimate retailer.
Old 11-25-12, 04:16 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,192
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Originally Posted by teameck View Post
How are people getting it for $41? (Yes, I went through the Lightning Deals link...)

Mine totalled $28.33 pounds ($45.42 via a pounds to dollars converter via Google)-- before the shipping (another 3.08 pounds).
28.33 was the non-lightning deal, post-VAT price. If you got it through the lightning deal, you should have had a check box show up during the checkout process showing an additional 5.83 promotional discount. Did you uncheck that box by accident?
Old 11-25-12, 04:21 PM
  #25  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NE Wisconsin
Posts: 153
Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: UNIVERSAL MONSTER Lightning Deal @ Amazon.co.uk 11/25/2012 approx. 1:30 pm CST

Originally Posted by illennium View Post
28.33 was the non-lightning deal, post-VAT price. If you got it through the lightning deal, you should have had a check box show up during the checkout process showing an additional 5.83 promotional discount. Did you uncheck that box by accident?
Yep-- not even by accident (as I thought it was the same promo I got from a cash back/rewards on my credit card I used on Amazon yesterday).

Lesson learned. Thanks for the answers by various people to my questions throughout the day.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.