Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Bond 22 film set $99.99 Deal of Day Amazon 11/24

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-12, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bond 22 film set $99.99 Deal of Day Amazon 11/24

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Lol. I'm with you, Dirk. My gf is cool about the hobby most of the time, but has a breaking point as most do and probably should. However she just returned from a trip with her mother and is bound and determined not to be like her mother and that includes no incessant complaining about spending too much. It's a window of opportunity and coincided well with this year's Black Friday.
I get virtually no grief from my wife about my video buying habits, for a couple of reasons:

1.) She can easily outspend me at any time of year if she feels like it (and she knows it).

2.) Probably 80-90% of the movies/TV shows I buy are bought with money saved for the purpose, or amazon Visa points.

She does make fun of me occasionally, like the other day at Thanksgiving dinner: "Ha, first you buy the movie on DVD, then you buy it again when they add special features...then you buy the Blu-ray, then the extended edition and the director's cut..."

Of course, I do trade the majority of my DVD editions in or sell them when I get the BDs.

I, in turn, remind her of the dozens of pairs of shoes she owns. (She just cleaned out her closet the other day for the first time in years; I can actually see the floor again). And I also remind her that she buys virtually every flavor of Scentsy. (If you don't know what it is, look it up; each room of my house has a different smell these days).

Like I said, I get almost no grief at all.
Old 11-25-12, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't use my Amazon ViSA points to buy things on Amazon, because doing so reduces the amount of points I earn. I cash them in as a balance credit and continue to use the VISA to pay for Amazon purchases, because then I continue to earn 3 points per dollar as opposed to the zero points per dollar that the points earn as far as I know.
Old 11-25-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lecithin
I don't use my Amazon ViSA points to buy things on Amazon, because doing so reduces the amount of points I earn. I cash them in as a balance credit and continue to use the VISA to pay for Amazon purchases, because then I continue to earn 3 points per dollar as opposed to the zero points per dollar that the points earn as far as I know.
I didn't know you could "cash them in as a balance credit" - is that an option through Chase? Is that on a one-for-one (one dollar for one credit) basis?
Old 11-25-12, 10:43 AM

I picked it up yesterday morning as soon as I got up, hoping it would still be available. Luckily, it was, but I knew I might be pushing my luck by waiting until I woke up.

It's been my experience through many years of watching special Black Friday sales as well as other assorted 1-day sales that the more crazy the discount, the faster something will go out of stock.

I knew as soon as I heard the rumor about them having the Bond set go Gold Box on Saturday that it would be gone in a matter of hours. How could you not see this selling out quickly? I think all of you upset about missing out on the deal and somehow blaming Amazon to justify your not acting quickly is kinda silly. C'mon guys, you know this type of stuff will sell out quickly. I knew the minute they announced it that there was no way in heck it was going to last all day. I was pushing my luck by waiting until 7:30am to make my purchase.

Lightning Deal. Deal of the Day. Box of Fruitloops. Gangbuster Deal. Whatever they want to call it, if you didn't associate "Bond 50 Blu ray set for $99" and "Oh shit, this is going go to FAST" then it was a basic fundamental fail on your part. But, luckily, things like this are just stuff, so it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I'm sorry to those of you who missed out. But its that classic saying "you snooze, you lose."
Old 11-25-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

There was someone on Amazon who was complaining that she added Bond to her cart, then the deal expired while she was filling out some kind of Amazon online credit-card application.
Old 11-25-12, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sid Ceaser
I think all of you upset about missing out on the deal and somehow blaming Amazon to justify your not acting quickly is kinda silly. C'mon guys, you know this type of stuff will sell out quickly.
No way! It's Amazon's fault for not accommodating my desire to buy a box set on my own time, whenever I want it, for the price that I want it for!
Old 11-25-12, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
There was someone on Amazon who was complaining that she added Bond to her cart, then the deal expired while she was filling out some kind of Amazon online credit-card application.
Oops. Live and learn.
Old 11-25-12, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the fact that this set was being sold for $100 less than 2 months after release is a good indicator that it will be sold again at or close to that price in the near future. No need to fret. I foresee this set being potential Deal of the Day fodder.
Old 11-25-12, 11:26 AM

Sucked in by that automatic discount they show? If true, doh. What if she didn't get approved for the card?
Old 11-25-12, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by smirnoffski
Well, the fact that this set was being sold for $100 less than 2 months after release is a good indicator that it will be sold again at or close to that price in the near future. No need to fret. I foresee this set being potential Deal of the Day fodder.
I think the best price we will see on this will be $130 ish. I don't expect a Black Friday pricing repeat on this, ever.
Old 11-25-12, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by crikey
No way! It's Amazon's fault for not accommodating my desire to buy a box set on my own time, whenever I want it, for the price that I want it for!
Especially when I got emails from Amazon saying "you think 129.99 is a good price for Bond? Wait till Saturday! You'll flip your lid!!"

I hope Amazon comes out with that mind-reading app. BECAUSE I COULD HAVE USED IT YESTERDAY!!!!
Old 11-25-12, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bond franchise has been milked so much on home video, they should open a dairy. If you doubt that another movie set will be available in the future... you've not been paying attention. On DVD they went through three releases of these movies, and various box sets, and two different widely available and heavily discounted complete sets available only a couple years apart. Although there are a gap between sets. With Skyfall doing gangbusters at the boxoffice and MGM solvent and lining up two more Bond movies ASAP, there's more deals, sets, and other Bond dairy products waiting right around the corner. Hopefully Blu-ray bargain fans aren't lactose intolerant.
Old 11-25-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^

Yep. Diamonds and home video Bonds are forever.
Old 11-25-12, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine shipped. It was a great deal but I wonder if I need to spend a Benjamin for it. LOL
Old 11-25-12, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by IJMSPORT
I think the best price we will see on this will be $130 ish. I don't expect a Black Friday pricing repeat on this, ever.
I dunno. I recall thinking what a great deal I thought I was getting when the buffy the vampire series box was around $110, until watching it in subsequent years goe down to the 60's.

e
L nny
Old 11-25-12, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ctyankee
I didn't know you could "cash them in as a balance credit" - is that an option through Chase? Is that on a one-for-one (one dollar for one credit) basis?
Every 100 points equal $1 but that's true if you use them to pay your Amazon balance or cash them out. (Like a 1% cash back card that earns 3% on Amazon purchases, only you don't earn anything paying your Amazon orders with the points.)

Yes, it used to be a minimum of 5,000 points to get a $50 credit, but now when you got to redeem the points on the Chase site, ou can choose Cash Back and get either a check or a statement credit, no matter the amount (for example, I have 2,778 points now and can request $27.78 cash back or credit on the statement in that amount.)
Old 11-25-12, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

.... But back to Bond, I was lucky enough to get it before it ran out (despite cluelessly not even checking online until around 9am) but as I was getting ready to figure out how much I will lose when I try to sell the redundant DVD and BLUray sets I already have, via a few targeted reports in Quicken, I found that I have spent well over $500 buying and rebuying these same movies (not even including the VHS and laserdiscs) before this latest $100, so have I really saved anything?

Last edited by Lecithin; 11-25-12 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Misspellings
Old 11-25-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by IJMSPORT
$99 was only 66% off MSRP. There's room to go lower. I expect to see 70% off or more, if not this year, then next.
Old 11-26-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by beebs
The Bond franchise has been milked so much on home video, they should open a dairy. If you doubt that another movie set will be available in the future... you've not been paying attention. On DVD they went through three releases of these movies, and various box sets, and two different widely available and heavily discounted complete sets available only a couple years apart. Although there are a gap between sets. With Skyfall doing gangbusters at the boxoffice and MGM solvent and lining up two more Bond movies ASAP, there's more deals, sets, and other Bond dairy products waiting right around the corner. Hopefully Blu-ray bargain fans aren't lactose intolerant.
I have at least three "complete" Bond sets so I agree with the premise. But this feels different. Optical media is fading, so as I buy this and the Hitchcock and Universal Monster sets, I wonder if these will be the last times I get these kind of packages. What will be the state of optical media post-Skyfall? And my own tolerance for physical space-clutterers isn't what it used to be. I had resisted this set till this price came up, and the fact that I had only four of them on BD already tipped me over the edge. I don't imagine myself buying heavily into another physical format, nor do I see myself rebuying everything in digital.

Maybe a Skyfall-inclusive set will be a really awesome price for BD/DVD/DC combos because they'll think it'll be the last Bond box ever. Who really knows, of course.
Old 11-26-12, 01:48 PM

I have at least three "complete" Bond sets so I agree with the premise. But this feels different. Optical media is fading, so as I buy this and the Hitchcock and Universal Monster sets, I wonder if these will be the last times I get these kind of packages. What will be the state of optical media post-Skyfall? And my own tolerance for physical space-clutterers isn't what it used to be. I had resisted this set till this price came up, and the fact that I had only four of them on BD already tipped me over the edge. I don't imagine myself buying heavily into another physical format, nor do I see myself rebuying everything in digital.

Maybe a Skyfall-inclusive set will be a really awesome price for BD/DVD/DC combos because they'll think it'll be the last Bond box ever. Who really knows, of course.
Agreed. Given that I had only upgraded to BD for one Bond so far (Dr. No), I was already getting close to my plastic-disc buying saturation point. I'm trimming down my collection at this point, and mainly buying these kinds of box sets as a (hopefully) final purchase. I can't see myself needing it in any higher def than 1080p for quite some time (or ever, given my aging eyesight).

But as a way to upgrade my smattering of Connery, Lazenby, and Craig Bonds while picking up a bunch of the lesser Brosnan, Moore, and Daltons for cheap completeness' sake? $99 is great, and I didn't see any need to wait any longer to save, say, $20.
Old 11-26-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by nycdude
Mine shipped. It was a great deal but I wonder if I need to spend a Benjamin for it. LOL
Got cold feet? Flip it on half.com for a cool $150.
Old 11-26-12, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lecithin
Every 100 points equal $1 but that's true if you use them to pay your Amazon balance or cash them out. (Like a 1% cash back card that earns 3% on Amazon purchases, only you don't earn anything paying your Amazon orders with the points.)

Yes, it used to be a minimum of 5,000 points to get a $50 credit, but now when you got to redeem the points on the Chase site, ou can choose Cash Back and get either a check or a statement credit, no matter the amount (for example, I have 2,778 points now and can request $27.78 cash back or credit on the statement in that amount.)
Interesting. Back in the day, it used to be coupons (that expired) then just Amazon coupons and now ... a variety of options. But, I would agree, it makes no sense to use points on Amazon purchases, if the points multiply. Good point!
Old 11-26-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I placed my order around 12 or 1am Saturday and I got it today Monday around 12:30pm through Ontrac shipping.

That was fast though I was ok with waiting.
Old 11-27-12, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

So I was wondering what this price was since I saw on Amazon that is was gone. If anyone got cold feet or wants to sell theirs, I'd take it. I don't own a single Bond film, but figure hopefully this is the best set to get...for now at least.
Old 11-27-12, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I assume Amazon will replenish their stock and these 3rd party sellers offering it for $300 will feel foolish.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.