DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Anyone find a deal on Lawrence of Arabia? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/606700-anyone-find-deal-lawrence-arabia.html)

Future Man 11-23-12 03:33 PM

Anyone find a deal on Lawrence of Arabia?

Seems like the white whale this year is Brave...I was hoping for a Black Friday deal on the remastered Lawrence of Arabia, collector's edition or even the two disc, but I have not seen any mention of it on sale...has anyone found it on sale?

jwstl 11-23-12 03:59 PM

Re: Anyone find a deal on Lawrence of Arabia?

Originally Posted by Future Man (Post 11480225)
Seems like the white whale this year is Brave...I was hoping for a Black Friday deal on the remastered Lawrence of Arabia, collector's edition or even the two disc, but I have not seen any mention of it on sale...has anyone found it on sale?

What's your definition of a "deal" for it? Deep Discount had a one day deal for the Collector's edition at 49.99 and that's the best deal I've seen on that version.

Lije Baley 11-23-12 04:09 PM

No specials going, but well worth buying the big box if you love the movie. According to Robert Harris, over on HTF, there are about 50,000 sets, limited by the number of 70mm frames included in the box. When they're gone, they're gone.

Costco has the best price now, $57.

whotony 11-23-12 04:29 PM

You can get it in BN for under $55 with the 30% coupon. Before tax.

Superdaddy 11-23-12 05:20 PM

I don't buy many of the big sets, but I'm actually glad that I went for this one. It's a nice set, has a great transfer, and the box has a couple of hours of extras that are not on the two-disc version.

laidbacklarkin 11-23-12 05:30 PM

Am I alone in opining that it is wasteful of having such a big box for a movie...unless we were talking about a good number of movies in the set, why waste so much of material for one film ? granted its 'classic' status but still....anyways

whotony 11-23-12 05:33 PM

I'm sure you're not alone but the things in this set are not silly objects like pencil erasers and the other type of crap in the Wonka box set.
The space is mostly for the large coffee table type book that's in the box.

RustyOrgan 11-24-12 12:07 PM

CostCo has the huge Lawrence of Arabia box set but I don't remember the price

whotony 11-24-12 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by RustyOrgan (Post 11481044)
CostCo has the huge Lawrence of Arabia box set but I don't remember the price

Someone mentioned the price in this extremely long to read all the posts topic.

nealg 11-24-12 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 11481081)
someone mentioned the price in this extremely long to read all the posts topic.

$56.99.

turetzeddie 11-24-12 01:40 PM

When DeepDiscount was selling it for $49.99 a few weeks ago, I thought the price will go lower on BF.

I even tried to PM with Amazon. No luck.

We may have to wait 'till next year.

Laser Movies 11-24-12 08:35 PM

I managed to snag a copy today at a B&N store for about $47 with a membership and got a free gift card with it. Not a straight forward deal but it can be done with a little planning. Here's what I did. First I purchased $75 of gift cards at the store to get a free $10 promo gift card (Promotion runs through Dec 2). Paid with my B&N Mastercard to save 5% on the gift cards purchased. Then I combined the current 30% coupon with one of the $5 off $50 purchase coupons found in the B&N coupon thread with the Lawrence of Arabia set. If the cashier scans the 30% first the $5 coupon should scan without issue to get the extra savings. The membership saves an extra 10% off. I paid for it using some of the gift cards I purchased.

PopcornTreeCt 11-24-12 08:43 PM

I got the regular LoA from Barnes and Noble for $16.29.

ctyankee 11-27-12 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lije Baley (Post 11480266)
No specials going, but well worth buying the big box if you love the movie. According to Robert Harris, over on HTF, there are about 50,000 sets, limited by the number of 70mm frames included in the box. When they're gone, they're gone.

Costco has the best price now, $57.

I love the film, but each to his own. If paying approximately 40 bucks over the 2 disc set is worth it for a extra balcony scene (that will be sure to show up on Youtube) a soundtrack cd and a 70 mm strip of the film ... go for it. As far as I know, Harris does not speak for Sony and I've read nothing from them that indicates that the boxset is limited to anything other than what they can sell. No numbering system on the boxes while numbering the film strips (without a cap) certainly ain't the same thing, now is it?

Meanwhile, someone over at HTF said their strips were all black ... as if taken from the intermission. Way to go Sony!

Regardless, if it does turn out to be 50,000 sets ... that will probably sell out in three years. As it is, I saw the high-def release (which looks amazing) at a friend's house, so I can easily wait for the 2 disc set to get down under 10 bucks. YMMV.

jwstl 11-27-12 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ctyankee (Post 11484928)
If paying approximately 40 bucks over the 2 disc set is worth it for a extra balcony scene (that will be sure to show up on Youtube) a soundtrack cd and a 70 mm strip of the film ... go for it.

I don't know if you didn't do your research or you are intentionally making light of the differences but either way there's more to the deluxe set than you listed. The balcony scene is 7.5 minutes of a 145 minutes of special features not included with the 2 disc set. The main feature on the extra disc is the documentary In Love with the Desert that runs an hour and 25 minutes. There's also a very nice hardcover book. I'm not saying that should be worth the extra cost to everyone but if want to decide you should have all the facts not just the ones that someone with an agenda cares to share.

ctyankee 11-27-12 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by jwstl (Post 11484975)
I don't know if you didn't do your research or you are intentionally making light of the differences but either way there's more to the deluxe set than you listed. The balcony scene is 7.5 minutes of a 145 minutes of special features not included with the 2 disc set. The main feature on the extra disc is the documentary In Love with the Desert that runs an hour and 25 minutes. There's also a very nice hardcover book. I'm not saying that should be worth the extra cost to everyone but if want to decide you should have all the facts not just the ones that someone with an agenda cares to share.

Agenda? Get a grip, dude, it's called an opinion. I've got no dog in this fight. As I already mentioned, I'll wait for the 2 disc (or even the box-set) to become a real bargain. Hence, the name of this sub-forum. So stop with the nonsense.

But if you want to talk facts, so be it. The facts are that there are pages upon pages of posts over at HTF talking about wanting to see the balcony scene and irritation that Sony marketers kept that only for the box-set. The facts are that there AREN"T many posts about other supplements in the box-set nor talk about this hardcover book, as apparently, few seem to care. Now, if that's under-appreciated in you view, feel free to share you opinion. I, for one, won't be suggesting that your have some 'grassy knoll' agenda.

I picked up the Sound of Music Limited Edition box-set over the last week for $19.99 delivered. It seems like a bargain. And if LOA box-set gets to a low enough price, maybe I'll spring for that too. Agenda? Yeah, I'm after bargains and if that's not you, maybe you're in the wrong forum.

whotony 11-27-12 12:05 PM

I haven't seen anyone post a number as high as 40,000 yet. So not even sure if there will be that many.

I bought it and its a great set and worth the price I paid.

I saw one person who was confused about the extras to being on the 3 disc set and all he did was post a :(

John Galt 11-27-12 12:19 PM

If you pick it up during the BN 40% off sale, it would be around $39 after 40% off, 10% member discount, and upcoming 25% off coupon.

jwstl 11-27-12 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by ctyankee (Post 11485039)
Agenda? Get a grip, dude, it's called an opinion. I've got no dog in this fight. As I already mentioned, I'll wait for the 2 disc (or even the box-set) to become a real bargain. Hence, the name of this sub-forum. So stop with the nonsense.

But if you want to talk facts, so be it. The facts are that there are pages upon pages of posts over at HTF talking about wanting to see the balcony scene and irritation that Sony marketers kept that only for the box-set. The facts are that there AREN"T many posts about other supplements in the box-set nor talk about this hardcover book, as apparently, few seem to care. Now, if that's under-appreciated in you view, feel free to share you opinion. I, for one, won't be suggesting that you have some 'grassy knoll' agenda.

I picked up the Sound of Music Limited Edition box-set over the last week for $19.99 delivered. It seems like a bargain. And if LOA box-set gets to a low enough price, maybe I'll spring for that too. Agenda? Yeah, I'm after bargains and if that's not you, maybe you're in the wrong forum.

It's not an opinion when you list the differences between sets and fail to mention half of them. That's called misinformation. And the fact that people on a forum spend more time discussing the balcony scene doesn't mean the other features don't exist and might have value to others. Your agenda is to prove that the box set is overpriced and you tried to do so without giving all the facts. You must have spent too much time watching the debates and political ads during the last few months. My agenda is to point out what you failed to do and that is to describe the set more accurately so people won't take your "opinion" as fact and can decide if it's a bargain now or later based on the truth and not your version of it.

ctyankee 11-27-12 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by jwstl (Post 11485070)
It's not an opinion when you list the differences between sets and fail to mention half of them. That's called misinformation. And the fact that people on a forum spend more time discussing the balcony scene doesn't mean the other features don't exist and might have value to others. Your agenda is to prove that the box set is overpriced and you tried to do so without giving all the facts. You must have spent too much time watching the debates and political ads during the last few months. My agenda is to point out what you failed to do and that is to describe the set more accurately so people won't take your "opinion" as fact and can decide if it's a bargain now or later based on the truth and not your version of it.

"Based on the truth?" What truth? One man's crap is another man's treasure ... there's your truth and all facts and lists won't change that. The truth is that you've brought a shiny new toy and you're irked that someone doesn't think it's so shiny and that it's overpriced to begin with. Boo-hoo.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...ying-towel.gif

Phibes 11-27-12 02:47 PM

I need the crying towel as DDD has yet to ship mine :(