High Noon (1952)
Johnny Guitar (1954)
= $43.73
Old 11-12-12, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: ImportCds - 10% Off sitewide

Originally Posted by jwstl
How does ImportCds handle orders with both in-stock items and pre-orders? I had no idea Olive was releasing The Quiet Man on BD in January and I want to order it now along with other items but I won't if they hold the order until the pre–orders ship.

What other Olive films should I be looking at?
you can only pre-order titles a month in advance, so Quiet Man is not possible with coupon.
Old 11-12-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nitin77
you can only pre-order titles a month in advance, so Quiet Man is not possible with coupon.
It seems to be allowing Quiet Man to be ordered with the coupon.
Old 11-12-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoirFan
It's a great film, with Ray's trademark themes of the wounded male psyche and the conflict between community and the individual supported by superb performances. The transfer is decent if unremarkable, but if you're a Ray and Cagney fan, it's must-buy.
Many thanks for the recommendation. Do you think the SD would be good enough? Either way I will definitely pick it up at some point. I've been wanting to see it forever (one of the only Cagney films I haven't seen) and missed a Tech print at UCLA a few years ago.
Old 11-12-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd definitely go for the Blu-ray over the DVD, it's only $2 more and certainly worth that for the PQ upgrade. It's a typically modest Olive release, but, as with most of what they're putting out, pleasantly acceptable and doubtless MIA otherwise.
Old 11-13-12, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
It seems to be allowing Quiet Man to be ordered with the coupon.
so you can which is weird because no other Jan titles are available AFAIK.
Old 11-13-12, 06:55 AM

I've never had an issue with ImportCds. Sometimes the shipping can be a bit slow, especially if one lives on the opposite coast: East Coast vs West Coast. I assume the tax issues pertain only to those living in California. I just got a great deal on the 50th Anniversary Ltd. Edition Box set of LAURENCE OF ARABIA $56.75 which included shipping/handling charges. Finally, they haven't ever offered any more than the 10% discount so don't hold your breath for other deals.
Old 11-13-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They charge tax in California and Illinois. Must be the same owners as DeepDiscount.
Old 11-13-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With an additional 10% off, the Keaton box would be $141.71 plus shipping, or $9.44 a disc.
Now up for pre-order, along with Baron Blood.
Old 11-13-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My experience with ImportCds has been mixed. I liked them because they used to ship early on pre-orders, sometimes getting your discs a week or more in advance. Ever since Shout Factory got upset about Halloween 2 going out early, they've stopped doing that. Their stock will still say available on pre-orders if they have them in the warehouse before release, but they won't ship until a week before street date so that it will arrive right on the correct date. Which is still nice, but be warned that as soon as you make your order, your status goes into "allocated", which means they package it and let it sit there until it's time to ship...the bitch is that you can't cancel. I went back and forth with them on this because I wanted to cancel a pre-order, and they refused to give me a reason why they couldn't stop the shipment even though it wasn't gonna ship for another week and my card had still not been charged. Ridiculous.

Also, let it be known that if you pre-order and the street date on the item gets delayed, your pre-order will be cancelled if more than 30 days lapse since the day you made the order...with NO notification from them. Your order status will just say backordered forever even though they show instock on the item itself after final street date has passed. I was waiting like a dumbass on this one time before finally emailing them asking them what was up, and that was the explanation, with the added "there was no way you could know about this". Well, I would have if they had emailed me to tell me in the first place.

Last edited by dullboy; 11-13-12 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-13-12, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dullboy
Which is still nice, but be warned that as soon as you make your order, your status goes into "allocated", which means they package it and let it sit there until it's time to ship...the bitch is that you can't cancel.
I emailed them asking to cancel several titles from an order so I could re-order them with the 10% off code, and they did it with no problems.
Old 11-13-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I emailed them asking to cancel several titles from an order so I could re-order them with the 10% off code, and they did it with no problems.
Son of a bitch, this is exactly why I wanted to do it, too, but they refused. But, were yours pre-orders and in stock? Did it say allocated on your order status?
Old 11-13-12, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dullboy
Son of a bitch, this is exactly why I wanted to do it, too, but they refused. But, were yours pre-orders and in stock? Did it say allocated on your order status?
Yes to the first question, and I don't remember to the second.
Old 11-15-12, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
They charge tax in California and Illinois. Must be the same owners as DeepDiscount.
Yes, ImportCDs bought DD bought them some time ago. I wish DD's abhorrent web site were as good as ImportCDs, which is not perfect but much simpler and more effective than DD's. For example, one can search ImportCDs by company name, handy for finding all Kino or Olive titles for example. I don't think DD can do the same, if someone knows how, please let me know

Also, DD used to be able to sort your wishlist by price, which was helpful to see if there were any items that had dropped in price. This is one of several features that disappeared in their web site "upgrade" of a few years ago

Last edited by obscurelabel; 11-16-12 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-15-12, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DD and GoHastings have abysmal search engines, arguably the worst out there.