Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Dollar Tree BLU Rays!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-19, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollar Tree BLU Rays!

Can only guess when u sell anything, u gotta check what is posted so u not waste try sell what not already on the site. most i just grab for me and if any to skip hassles of selling, i just donate for space later lol.
Old 06-12-19, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

There is an asian guy in my town, who the local retail employees have nicknamed Tony Chen, that has basically cleaned off all the Dollar Tree stores in the areas of DVDs, BDs and Star Wars toys. From what I've been told, the guy has lost the privileges of returning things to stores, including Target, Best Buy, Ross, TJ Maxx and Marshalls, as he was abusing the system by trying to return what he didn't sell online or at flea markets. Because of him, my Dollar Tree stores are basically empty of the movies you guys have posted.
Old 06-12-19, 11:21 AM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I have yet to ever see a Blu-ray or DVD in a single Dollar Tree in my neck of the woods.
Old 06-12-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
There is an asian guy in my town, who the local retail employees have nicknamed Tony Chen, that has basically cleaned off all the Dollar Tree stores in the areas of DVDs, BDs and Star Wars toys. From what I've been told, the guy has lost the privileges of returning things to stores, including Target, Best Buy, Ross, TJ Maxx and Marshalls, as he was abusing the system by trying to return what he didn't sell online or at flea markets. Because of him, my Dollar Tree stores are basically empty of the movies you guys have posted.
That's a particularly selfish and nasty way to operate as a reseller, but I know it was common practice for resellers to wipe out Big Lots back in the day and do the same thing, abusing their return window.

Old 06-12-19, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Every town seems to have at least one opportunist who spoils the fun by wiping-out the shelves and then making countless attempts to abuse the return policy system for a buck or two.
Old 06-12-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Still trying to find a $1 Robocop. No luck yet.
Old 06-12-19, 06:35 PM

I saw a few robocop - the recent reboot movie that is- the last time i was there as a br/dvd combo etc. have not been back since cause the heat and all can like ruin mood to walk alot at times. so i do what i can early if possible, at store or thrift places.
Old 06-12-19, 07:54 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That's a particularly selfish and nasty way to operate as a reseller, but I know it was common practice for resellers to wipe out Big Lots back in the day and do the same thing, abusing their return window.
Originally Posted by orangerunner
Every town seems to have at least one opportunist who spoils the fun by wiping-out the shelves and then making countless attempts to abuse the return policy system for a buck or two.
I've encountered the guy twice in my life. The first time was in 2010, before Best Buy had the order online and pick up in store worked out, and I went to the nearby BB to pick up the Animal Crossing bundle that came with the Wii controller for $12. When I got to the store, the guy had picked all 20 bundles in stock. An employee tried to convince him to leave a couple for other customers like myself but he bought them all. 28 days later, the guy came back with like 7 of the bundles and returned them. By this time, the bundles were not on sale anymore, so they were priced back up to like $40 and were there until they were put on clearance, where I was told by several employees, that he came back and bought them all again. By this time, he had already burned his return policy with the store.

The second time I encountered this douchebag was in 2016, when I had my comic book store. The guy showed up on Free Comic Book day around 2PM and walked in the store like a fucking tornado, running to the shelves and grabbing books without rhyme or reason and then coming to the register and asking if the books he had on his hands were free because he heard on the news that the store was giving comic books away that day. I told him that those were not the books, that the free books were in the shelf near the kids section and that it was a limit of 2 per customer. He tried to argue with me that he had heard in the news that it was any comic in the store for free. I told him once again that he was mistaken and politely told him that he could take only 2 comic books from the designated ones that were free that day. He dropped the stack of around 25 books in the register, ran to the back, got 2 books and left. He showed up once again at 8:55PM to see if there were more free books that he could get. I told him no, and he left once again and never saw him walk to the store after that.
Old 06-13-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I was one who "wiped out" BL in the day, but I never returned anything other than floaters. I ended up eating a lot of dvd's. I probably made a small profit off of about a $1500 monthly expenditure. That was not my only product, but there was a time when BL was cheaper on many dvd's than overstock wholesalers.
Old 06-13-19, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I was one who "wiped out" BL in the day, but I never returned anything other than floaters. I ended up eating a lot of dvd's. I probably made a small profit off of about a $1500 monthly expenditure. That was not my only product, but there was a time when BL was cheaper on many dvd's than overstock wholesalers.
These resellers would buy all the stock, put it up on eBay and the like for 29 days, and then anything that didn't sell would get returned to Big Lots. They were basically abusing Big Lots' return window.

Old 06-14-19, 05:46 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I went to Dollar Tree earlier today to pick up some paper plates. While there I thought I'd look around for BD or DVD's but didn't see any including the few I generally see in the electronics accessories aisle. Certainly no display promotion stuff. In any case, I also saw they are now having items marked as "Dollar Tree Plus" (I think it was plus) for items over a $1.00. Generally larger sizes Fabric Softener and detergent and the like. Clearly marked with higher price stickers. Overheard employee talking to a customer and she mentioned $2 to $5 items Apparently emulating Dollar General stores or something. Perhaps in the future, they will have BD and DVD for more than $1 like sets or gift boxes.
Old 06-15-19, 02:09 PM

Guessing like biglots does, they sell dvd and blu rays for decent price and highest i seen in real or video is boxset for 10. can only guess as times change as 99 cent store has done same with stuff over the years that some things still 99 cents or more do to changes and any ownership change so stuff gonna cost more. but compared to other places what is sold is still cheaper sometimes unless u like driving around wasting gas just to get in more cheap then it already is sometimes.
Old 06-17-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That was the one nice thing about Dollar Tree - you didn't have to worry about any pricing surprises. It's what first separated it from any number of Dollar-branded chains that sold things way above a dollar.

I think this is the beginning of the end of Dollar Tree as we know it. There will be immense pressure on management to start carrying items with higher profit margins, which will push out the dollar items.

All good things must end I guess...
Old 06-17-19, 04:27 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

That was the one nice thing about Dollar Tree - you didn't have to worry about any pricing surprises. It's what first separated it from any number of Dollar-branded chains that sold things way above a dollar.

I think this is the beginning of the end of Dollar Tree as we know it. There will be immense pressure on management to start carrying items with higher profit margins, which will push out the dollar items.

All good things must end I guess...
Yep, I basically loved Dollar Tree and refused to go to any other “dollar store”. Loved the consistency in pricing.

I’ve noticed a reduction in size of some products the past year or two. Most toothpaste brands were smaller ~4 oz sizes when in the past you’d occasionally find an 8 ouncer. Body Powder that we bought for years was 13 oz but is now just 8 oz in the same packaging.

I’d rather have those shenanigans then variable pricing.
Old 06-17-19, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Beginning to sound like the store 5 Below where everything is $5 or less.
Old 06-20-19, 06:01 PM
Tap

Forbes claims it's because of the tariff war with China.

Hope it's temporary. Dollar Tree is the only dollar store I frequent, and being the only actual dollar store is the reason why.
Old 06-20-19, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I wouldn't mind Dollar Tree selling higher-priced stuff if it was also higher-quality- say a Blu-Ray box set for $5 that normally retails around $100. I wouldn't want to see regular single-disc Blu-Rays go above $1 though since they've been able to sell them at that price before.

I haven't bought anything at 99 Cents Only Stores priced higher than 99 cents and hardly even go in there anymore, because if they're going to sell stuff priced higher then they need to change the damn name of the store. "Only" means no exceptions, and now there obviously are. They even used to play a recorded message in the stores saying "Even if it says it's more than 99 cents, it's STILL only 99 cents!" That's not true anymore. I got some good DVDs there for 99 cents years ago, last time I saw some they were around $1.99 so I passed. I might've paid that much for them elsewhere, but it's the principle of the thing in this case. They get complaints on Facebook a lot, and their usual response is that "We now sell things that are higher priced but are still a great deal"- I suggested that they change the name of the store to Still A Great Deal since at least that would be truthful.
Old 06-20-19, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One of Dollar Tree's key advantages over other similar Dollar chains was a uniform product selection across hundreds of stores at one set price, vaguely filled with brands you've heard before. Many of the "fake" Dollar stores are filled with absolute junk and confusingly priced. Once Dollar Tree became popular, I stopped wasting my time visiting their competitors.
Old 06-21-19, 10:43 AM

Yea, went to a 99 cent store close by and they be chance hiding in a tech area had a box or less of dvd/ br for 1.99 ea. pretty much same kinda mix u might find at dollar tree but since the tech area is hiding that u assume they have none unless they get only during holidays. i learned that at holidays they out where u can see and they didnt last long lol. i have other dollar stores and 99 cent stores but not wanna take bus o i be sure buy something so not waste trip going cause have none i really want at time. have learned some or all have a mix of same stuff sometimes, just the price range changes alot do to ownership changes past years for 99 cent store. now i hit up thrift store and hope any good stuff that still watchable seeing how u check and dvd or br and they can be really ruined cause past owner didnt care to take care of them any. and for those they anywhere from 1.99 and up unless pre tagged for a higher price. i just not go walmart for now if can get still decent dvd / br any for cheaper at thrift store, dollar tree, or even 99 cent store now. when black friday come around, it just opens door for more options lol.
Old 06-21-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Tap
Forbes claims it's because of the tariff war with China.

Hope it's temporary. Dollar Tree is the only dollar store I frequent, and being the only actual dollar store is the reason why.
​​​​​​More than likely it is because of their misguided Family Dollar acquisition. Saw an article in the business section of my local paper about it being a drag on their 2nd or 3rd quarter results.
Old 06-23-19, 01:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I’ve noticed a reduction in size of some products the past year or two..
Same here. I buy their after shaves. Always was 5oz.. Past few months new stock has come in - all 4oz. bottles now. Sign of the times my friend...
Old 06-23-19, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They keep shaving off the number of Kit-Kats or mini-snickers you get in their mini-sized packages.
Old 06-23-19, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

They keep shaving off the number of Kit-Kats or mini-snickers you get in their mini-sized packages.
That's been going on at all grocery stores for at least a couple decades. 8 cans in a 12 pack, 12 ounce pounds, etc. & I agree it's pretty snarky.
Old 06-25-19, 11:10 AM
Cool New Member

This is something I look at. I shop here for myself and brother. The packages are getting smaller?
Old 07-19-19, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Found some Blu-Ray and DVD at my local Dollar Tree. Found nothing of interest.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.