Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Dollar Tree BLU Rays!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-17, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Dollar Tree BLU Rays!

Most of the Magnolia movies in this bunch are actually pretty decent. Movies like Two Lovers and Blackthorn are entertaining enough that I paid much more for them, years ago.

I never understood Magnolia's strategy. Interested in some of their movies, I tracked their pricing on Amazon for years. They basically were never on sale below $10 before showing up in this Dollar Tree sale. They could have made far money dumping them for a little more on Amazon per title.
Old 09-08-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Showed up at opening for the store that said they'd be out today. And of course there was half a display meaning they were put out early. Never a rhyme or reason behind Dollar Tree's methods.

This store had Taken 2 & 3, Australia & Brick Mansion as titles I hadn't seen personally. Shark Night and The Longest Ride seems to be in the greatest quantities.
Old 09-08-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've enjoyed this sale as past sales were limited in the number of locations (if any) received blu rays. I've found them at places Ive never found them before, or at places I only saw at once (the location I first picked up blus from before starting this thread)... there has been a higher quantity of the fox titles too
Old 09-08-17, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Of the 5 closest we went to in our area, 3 had stuff out and were fairly picked over. The other 2 didn't have anything out. When we asked they told us they will be putting them out tomorrow morning (Saturday).
Old 09-08-17, 11:38 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

The stores in my area are only getting a few Blu rays. The displays looked untouched so I don't think they sold. Pretty lame. Only getting a few Magnolia titles at each store and the same titles. The Good Doctor, The Double, Prince Avalance and Point Blank. The rest in DVD's. Same thing happened last time. Never saw most of the Blu rays.
Old 09-09-17, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

3 SoCal stores near me had all of the advertised stuff today - in a display right in front as you entered the store, with the outside advertising it as 'Item of the Week'

There weren't as many Fox titles as seen elsewhere in the country. 'Shark Night' was the one that most stores had tons of. Did find the walmart edition of Walter Mitty although it was mixed in with the regular edition of the same. Am guessing they'd all be gone by the weekend.
Old 09-09-17, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Grabbed a few titles:

Old 09-09-17, 06:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Found most of those mentioned at my Frederick locations. They didn't have slip covers, but I think I got the correct Mitty.
Old 09-09-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Stopped by 1 of the 2 locations that said it would have them out today and nothing was out. I asked the manager and was told "maybe" tomorrow (Sunday). Well I'm not going to keep driving back.
Old 09-09-17, 09:51 AM

Strange as it may sound, its still the DVDs that are the draw and are going fast
Old 09-09-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Decided to drop by the one I had the other day hoping they actually put them on display. Nope, still in a shopping basket and pretty well picked through. Went to anther across town, had those on display but again, picked through. Did grab a few DVDs but was really looking for And So It Goes Blu-ray. Decided not to bother with the other two stores across town.

Anyone know if they get more in stock or once they're gone, they're gone?
Old 09-09-17, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I'd say it's very doubtful a store would receive additional stock. Now maybe they'll pull another box out that was overlooked. Or you might see some similar titles in a shipment 3-4 months from now, but all of my experience tells me that once they're gone, they're gone.
Old 09-09-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I'd say it's very doubtful a store would receive additional stock. Now maybe they'll pull another box out that was overlooked. Or you might see some similar titles in a shipment 3-4 months from now, but all of my experience tells me that once they're gone, they're gone.
Kind of figured, thanks. Still pissed mine was so lazy with how they put them out. The only thing in the bin where these normally would go is notepaper.
Old 09-09-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Strange as it may sound, its still the DVDs that are the draw and are going fast
IMO, the need to constantly update firmware on blu's has significantly harmed the format. Most people either don't know how, or don't want to bother. There's also the lack of new firmware for discontinued models.

The java based copy guards are also a major pain, as they prevent most players from remembering the position on the disc if you hit stop.

Copy guards are one of my top irritants; they only harm consumers; any pirate on the planet with half a clue can easily defeat them.
Old 09-09-17, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Decided to drop by the one I had the other day hoping they actually put them on display. Nope, still in a shopping basket and pretty well picked through. Went to anther across town, had those on display but again, picked through. Did grab a few DVDs but was really looking for And So It Goes Blu-ray. Decided not to bother with the other two stores across town.

I've seen them actually open the shipping cartoons of DVDs. For these Blu-ray and DVD sales, each store gets 3-6 long, narrow boxes. I believe they only get them in one shipment but not every store will open every box they get at once, depending on shelf space. So that is why we get reports of a store occasionally putting out another batch down the road. That unopened shipment was hiding in the back room the entire time.
Old 09-09-17, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've seen them actually open the shipping cartoons of DVDs. For these Blu-ray and DVD sales, each store gets 3-6 long, narrow boxes. I believe they only get them in one shipment but not every store will open every box they get at once, depending on shelf space. So that is why we get reports of a store occasionally putting out another batch down the road. That unopened shipment was hiding in the back room the entire time.
Well, I'll be going back on Monday so I'll see if they put more out.
Old 09-09-17, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was 45 minutes away from home with family and ran by another location. Besides the plethora of Shark Night, I picked up the only copies of Nobody Walks & Take This Waltz.
Old 09-10-17, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stopped by 2 stores on Tuesday, 1 had them out already and I picked up:

Grand Piano
A Royal Affair (only 1 copy there)
Shark Night
Take This Waltz

I passed on Main Street, and any of the family movies.

On Saturday I stopped by another store and picked up:

Australia
Burning Plain
Secret Life of Walter Mitty (but not the soundtrack version)
Taken 3

But passed on Double, Enough Said, and whatever family movies were there.

I usually spend more time on these sales, but have been pretty busy, and there wasn't that much that I really wanted (a couple of the other titles mentioned I have already).
Old 09-10-17, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part of me wants to go looking for these movies, but the rest of me knows I will never watch them. Plus my Dollar Tree only had Shark Night and the other Dollar Trees are in the shadier parts of town.
Old 09-10-17, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Went to 2 stores but picked up nothing- everything good I already have, some are digital copies I traded for and haven't watched yet. Shark Night is worthless in 2D, I have the 3D import and also Free Birds from Australia.
Old 09-10-17, 09:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stopped at two NJ stores this past week and was surprised to find they had many of the titles mentioned. I grabbed:

Blackthorn
Toys In The Attic
The Longest Ride
The Good Doctor
Old 09-11-17, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

The only title I've seen listed that I'd likely watch would be Rio 2 & that's not a priority so I haven't bothered even at $1.00 ea.
Old 09-12-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Weird this deal did not make slickdeals until today.
Old 09-12-17, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
Weird this deal did not make slickdeals until today.
They were too busy with Olive Garden's endless pasta deals
Old 09-13-17, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Endless pasta deals
This dude is in and slick

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.