Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

Old 10-20-12, 01:40 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 554
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

^$9.99 wouldn't be shocking for BF. But less than $7.99 would be anytime soon.
Old 11-02-12, 05:43 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,399
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
that's what I thought too. and frankly it was an unnecessary remake of an overrated original...and expectedly bombed at the BO. if you are really compelled to watch this, watch the original...its gritty
Have we reached a stage where making $100 million at the BO is a "bomb"?
Old 11-02-12, 08:32 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,740
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

Well, on top of the remake just being utter crap and being the first Fyncher film I've ever thought about vomiting over, and then compare what is being said about it financially--it made a loss. Even though it made sales of $240 million worldwide (the production and advertising are said to be more than this figure). And I guarantee you only a small fraction would see the second installment. The first figures are from those people--like myself--who had faith the remake was going to be good. It sucked camel assholes. I'll probably be selling my copy shortly.
Old 11-02-12, 09:15 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,472
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

It's not a remake; they are 2 films based on the same novel. To be fair, the novels are crap so you can't expect the films to be great. And his name is spelled: Fincher.
Old 11-02-12, 09:19 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 35,134
Received 683 Likes on 527 Posts
Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
Have we reached a stage where making $100 million at the BO is a "bomb"?
We have. If the film cost 100 million or more to make then it is a bomb. Don't believe the hype in terms of marketing costs - those are ALWAYS inflated. Hollywood is also known for 'creative bookkeeping,' as well.
Old 11-03-12, 06:16 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 554
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Well, on top of the remake just being utter crap and being the first Fyncher film I've ever thought about vomiting over, and then compare what is being said about it financially--it made a loss. Even though it made sales of $240 million worldwide (the production and advertising are said to be more than this figure). And I guarantee you only a small fraction would see the second installment. The first figures are from those people--like myself--who had faith the remake was going to be good. It sucked camel assholes. I'll probably be selling my copy shortly.
-_- I'm not even sure what to say... 87% on Rotten Tomatoes...Wiki reports budget as $90M with $230M world box office...

Sure maybe you don't always agree with RT, and sure maybe the Wiki numbers are a little fudged. But it's unlikely that the general public shares your opinion in that people thought it "sucked camel assholes". Pretty arrogant to think everyone agrees with you.
Old 11-03-12, 10:45 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,597
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
being the first Fyncher film I've ever thought about vomiting over
Internet hyperbole is worse than cancer.
Old 11-04-12, 03:39 AM
  #33  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,176
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Well, on top of the remake just being utter crap and being the first Fyncher film I've ever thought about vomiting over, and then compare what is being said about it financially--it made a loss. Even though it made sales of $240 million worldwide (the production and advertising are said to be more than this figure). And I guarantee you only a small fraction would see the second installment. The first figures are from those people--like myself--who had faith the remake was going to be good. It sucked camel assholes. I'll probably be selling my copy shortly.
i don't trust anyone's opinion that can't spell the director's name properly.
Old 11-04-12, 10:21 AM
  #34  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,740
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

Originally Posted by jwstl View Post
It's not a remake; they are 2 films based on the same novel. To be fair, the novels are crap so you can't expect the films to be great. And his name is spelled: Fincher.
To all his fans, I apologize for his improper name spelling. Maybe that will make up for my disappointment with his film. Nope, it didn't.

The novels were just fine, and were rather detailed. Maybe Fincher didn't bother with details. Maybe he thought he could a better job. I thought he could, but he failed. The film was rushed, actors were misplaced in roles you couldn't get past.

Seriously, Robin Wright?

This isn't a remake? There is another film with the same name, you know. And two other films after. These films did very well in conveying the three books.
Old 11-04-12, 10:24 AM
  #35  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
To all his fans, I apologize for his improper name spelling. Maybe that will make up for my disappointment with his film. Nope, it didn't.

The novels were just fine, and were rather detailed. Maybe Fincher didn't bother with details. Maybe he thought he could a better job. I thought he could, but he failed. The film was rushed, actors were misplaced in roles you couldn't get past.

Seriously, Robin Wright?

This isn't a remake? There is another film with the same name, you know. And two other films after. These films did very well in conveying the three books.
It's not a remake.
Old 11-04-12, 10:29 AM
  #36  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,740
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

So, what is it, then? An "adaption" from a movie/book with the same name?
Old 11-04-12, 10:36 AM
  #37  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
So, what is it, then? An "adaption" from a movie/book with the same name?
It's an adaptation of the book. It's not a remake of the Swedish movie. I can see why it might be a hard concept for you to understand.
Old 11-04-12, 12:28 PM
  #38  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
the first Fyncher film I've ever thought about vomiting over
Why would you vomit over it? Do you normally throw up about movies you don't like? Are there other directors whose work prompt you do the technicolor yawn on a consistent basis? Because, you don't seem surprised about the possibility of tossing your groceries about a piece of entertainment, but you do seem surprised that this particular auteur brought you to the precipice of spewing chunks.

Also, you not liking something ≠ bad.
Old 11-04-12, 01:37 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,740
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
It's an adaptation of the book. It's not a remake of the Swedish movie. I can see why it might be a hard concept for you to understand.
So, if you're saying Fincher adapted this movie from book source and not the movie, he even did a worse job than what I thought. Lisbeth's character is way different than Larsson's writings of her. And Robin Wright as the wife is a joke.

So, the ADAPTION sucks even more, and is even more telling of how distanced Fincher was from the actual source. Did he even read the books. He actually combined a few scenes from the second book into the first movie. Nice. Gotta love Hollywood Remakes. Oops, I mean adaptions. Actually, I mean interpretations.

Apparently, few people have read the books. The comments on IMDB point towards the same. Many comments refer to these types of problems, but most haven't read the books or even seen the movies so when a bunch of stars appear, they just say, "Hey, it was great!"

Originally Posted by spartickes View Post
Why would you vomit over it? Do you normally throw up about movies you don't like? Are there other directors whose work prompt you do the technicolor yawn on a consistent basis? Because, you don't seem surprised about the possibility of tossing your groceries about a piece of entertainment, but you do seem surprised that this particular auteur brought you to the precipice of spewing chunks.

Also, you not liking something ≠ bad.
I have a condition which reacts to crappy movies. This in turn, causes me to produce foodage from my belly. Theatricus Emesis, is what I've been diagnosed with.

P.S. Maybe you mean amateur instead of auteur.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-04-12 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-04-12, 02:04 PM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 554
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I have a condition which reacts to crappy movies. This in turn, causes me to produce foodage from my belly. Theatricus Emesis, is what I've been diagnosed with.
I honestly can't even tell if you are just trolling us or if you seriously think you're being funny. Either way, I'm glad your exposure to the world is limited to these forums.
Old 11-04-12, 02:21 PM
  #41  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo(Fincher)---$7.99 at Best Buy

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
To all his fans, I apologize for his improper name spelling. Maybe that will make up for my disappointment with his film. Nope, it didn't.

The novels were just fine, and were rather detailed. Maybe Fincher didn't bother with details. Maybe he thought he could a better job. I thought he could, but he failed. The film was rushed, actors were misplaced in roles you couldn't get past.

Seriously, Robin Wright?

This isn't a remake? There is another film with the same name, you know. And two other films after. These films did very well in conveying the three books.
I liked the first book fine. The 2nd one had it's issues though. I haven't read the 3rd. So..I'll leave that one alone. Either way...they were very entertaining.

What actors were misplaced? I can't really see an actor being awkward in any role in there. What was wrong w/ Wright?

Also you're talking about conveying the books. Why do the books matter when you're talking about the film? It's fine to reference the source material but seems like you're also criticizing the film for being an adaptation of the source and not being able to separate the two as individual texts.

Just cuz there's another film called the same thing doesn't mean it's a remake. A remake constitutes it's using whatever previous film before as the source material. This film doesn't. It treads along the same lines obviously due to the same origin text but...it's not copying the Swedish film as the source.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.